Code of Conduct

Default Can we discuss Kenneth Cole . .

I've noticed KC scents aren't really popular around here. Is that a fair observation? I just wanted to start a thread where people talked about them, because I actually like them quite a bit. I will say I don't really care for his men's scents at all, while I like his women's scents. Black and Signature to be exact. I saw LadyLoneStar gave Black a very negative review in the directory [smiley=embarassed.gif] I actually like this scent a lot. . . to me it just seems so dark, and understated, and melancholy almost. Signature and Black smell pretty similar, I will admit that. I can't quite place which fragrance note it is, but I probably like Signature because it is so similar to Black. Or vice-versa, whatever. What do other people think? To me they just smell simple and pleasant. And sweet!

Default Re: Can we discuss Kenneth Cole . .

Though not on top of my wishlist, I like Black too. It's a fresh white floral. The topnotes of hyacinth can be a bit sharp/green at first.
    The perfume extract bottle is very cute.

I did know about Signature for Men but I didn't know the wommen's version had already been released. You are not talking about the original Kenneth Cole (a fruity-oriental), right?

I'm sorry, I meant the original , as in namesake, or something

Blog Entries

I like Black as well. But my fave KC frag is their Reaction (men's version). Black for men is ok too, but I actually prefer the women's version of this.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Oooh I hate reaction! [smiley=shocked.gif]

I'm curious about why you like it - I only had a brief whiff. Is the drydown nice??

Blog Entries

I like it 'cause it's very fresh & inoffensive. The top notes are very fruity & then the drydown (to me) smells like cut grass with a touch of wood. A great summer scent, IMHO. My dad & I both wear this, too
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The first time I bought a scent unsniffed was Kenneth Cole New York. What a mistake! I hated it and was stuck with 100ml!!!! Since then I have sampled Reaction and Black. I'm sorry to say they do absloutely nothing for me. I am not a fan of any of his scents, male or female. Sorry.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    I saw LadyLoneStar gave Black a very negative review in the directory...
    Yes, I sure did. But it's just my opinion, of course. I first tested it in the department store by spraying it on a card and then I spritzed some on my arm. Fortunately they had carded samples so I brought a carded sample home to test later, which I did as I tried to figure out what it was that was so off-putting for me since hyacinth is listed as a note in many fragrances that I love. To name a few -- my long-time loves like Guerlain Chamade, Chanel No. 19, Estee Lauder's Private Collection and White Linen, Norell, Balmain's Vent Vert, Clinique Wrappings, Lancome's Magie Noire, Van Cleef & Arpels First, Trussardi Classic, and my new love Annick Goutal's drop-dead gorgeous Grand Amour -- and there may be more. So hyacinth wouldn't normally give me a problem, but KC Black did, which was disappointing 'cause I really wanted that classy bottle! But I can't have everything! [smiley=wink.gif]

Yes, that's interesting. As I said, KC fragrances that don't seem like they would smell similar, to me do for some reason. Like Black and the self-titled one. They're different, but there is something about them that is similar, that I can't quite place. Maybe this note, whatever it is, is what you found so off-putting?

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    Maybe this note, whatever it is, is what you found so off-putting?
    I really don't know, but I think it's an overload of synthetic musk. The hyacinth, and possibly other ingredients, mixed with this heavy synthetic musk... I don't know. I find it (whatever "it" is, this off-putting note or blend) often in new designer launches and invariably some musk is listed -- white musk, pink musk, amber musk.

I really should start tracking the noses/creators behind these fragrances that I don't like that all seem to have the same heavy, sweet musk in the base. Not sure I'm that organized, however. [smiley=undecided.gif]

Yeah, those scents are pretty heavy in synthetic musk, or synthetic whatever it is, you are probably right, I'm sure that is why they smell similar to me. If I spray a little too much Black it gives me a sneezing attack!! But I personally feel pretty strongly about animal rights, so if I had to choose between synthetic and natural musk, I would always choose synthetic, even if it smells a little off.

Ladylonestar

It could be the quantity used, or the blend, quality or type, rather than just the fact that it's synthetic. I guess I should mention that.