WWD.com

Maria Sharapova Serves Up Scent
By Megan McIntyre

NEW YORK — Maria Sharapova and her new doubles partner, Parlux Fragrance, hosted a raucous tea party Thursday evening to fete the upcoming launch of her first fragrance. The event, held at the Angel Orensanz Foundation located on Manhattan's Lower East Side, capped a week of promotional engagements for Sharapova, who also endorsed lines for Nike and Tag Heuer and made a sweep through the morning talk show circuit.

The Russian tennis star arrived nearly two hours after the party kicked off, but was eager to chat about her new scent. "The fragrance has a very flowery feeling, very elegant and sophisticated," said Sharapova. "I love flowers very much and I wanted the fragrance to be something I could enjoy and something I could wear all day long."

The fragrance, developed by perfumer Carlos Vinals of Takasago International, is described as a "flirtatious and invigorating floral" with top notes of mandarin, bergamont, pomegranate leaf, cassis berries and lemongrass; a heart of gardenia, jasmine, magnolia, English rose petals and even Wimbledon grass, and a drydown of cashmere musk, white amber crystals and vanilla.

Vinals stated that he designed the fragrance to embody Sharapova's strength and femininity.

The fragrance, set to bow Sept. 1, is housed in a pink flacon, Sharapova's favorite color. The eau de parfum spray will be available in two sizes; a 1.7-oz. priced at $45, and a 3.4-oz. for $59, and will be sold at Macy's stores. Parlux intends to expand the collection this December with bath and body products, such as Satin Shimmer Body Lotion and Gentle Foaming Body Wash.

Sharapova joins Parlux's stable of celebrities, such as Paris Hilton and tennis champ Andy Roddick.