Code of Conduct

Default Is there a connection between Montale and CSP?

There is a strange rumor on a french fragrance forum. Someone posted about a connection between Parfums Montale and Comptoir Sud Pacifique. That person says Pierre Montale is/was the nose behind most CSP fragrances before CSP got new owners...

This might be true, because they are similarities in style. Ofcourse you have to compair Parfums Montale with the original CSP creations. Before CSP was sold and that the packaging changed, the names changed and the formulas got watered down.
    - Both use the same style of aluminium bottles/cansisters.
    - Both use a particular ingrediant as a theme: Vanilla for CSP - Oud for Montale.
    - Both are highly concentrated, at least CSP used to be.
    - Both use short formulas.
    - Both flagship stores are in the same neighbourhood in Paris. CSP is on the Rue de la Paix just around the corner of Montale's Place Vandôme location.
    - There are a few similar scents, like: M's Sandflowers could be CSP's Motu (which was first called Sables), White musk = Musk Alizé, Intense Tiaré = Aloha Tiaré...

Anybody knows more?

I'm going to Paris next week. After my visit to the House of Guerlain, I'll try to go by the Montale boutique to sample a few fragrances.

Default Re: Is there a connection between Montale and CSP?

Cedric,
    That's interesting. I have no idea if its true, but if it is true that Mr Montale was the nose for CSP, I must say I am way more impressed with the Montale line than the old CSP line. hope you have sampling his work. I ahve tried almost every one but a few are vague in my memory by now.

Of the Ouds i love Oud cuir D'Arabie
    Black oud
    Oud Rose Petale

Seems alot of men really like the Oud queen rose

I also really love the White musk
    Sweet oriental dream (very similar to KM Loukoum without the powder)
    Ta'if Rose ~ heavy bulgarian rose scent
    Intanse tiare
    Crystal Flowers
    Soleil de capri ~ hmmm.....Les Enfants du Soleil?

many really like the patchouli leaves......I'm not a huge patchouli fan but its supposed to be a fantastic patchouli fragrance.

Have fun!
    Let us know what you think of the Montales and let us know if you find out the skinny on the CSP - Montale connection

Not very helpful, but I have heard this rumor now from so many different people (including some perfume retailers) that I just assume it is true.

Hmmm. I wonder? I think there was a thread about this on mua, too. I love Chypre Fruite, White Musk, Crystal Flowers and Intense Tiare.

Yesterday my BF and I visited the Montale Boutique on the place Vendôme. From the selection I sampled, the ouds were not really to my taste (Oud Cuir d'Arabie was the exception). The cheaper line, called "Les Parfums" was much more to my taste. I loved the musks, Sweet Oriental Dreams and Patchouli Leaves (the last 2 I strongly recomment). Though simple in structure, the Montales are rich.

There is a rumor that Pierre Montale used to work for CSP. I have to say there are some similarities in style with the older/better/ more concentrated CSP of the '80s and early '90s.

"Ellena":
    I read on the internet several good comments about Montale's SA, Ellena. Though yesterday I didn't have a very nice experience with that "shopgirl".
    Ellena was all smiles at first, showing use different fragrances. We explained to her that we worked for a niche perfume store and were on the look out for adding new brands. Quickly ( and rather strangely) she lost interest and seamed rather impatient (there were no other customers and closing-time was more than 30 min away). I don't know, maybe she thought we were not going to buy anything...? I wanted to buy Patchouli Leaves for my personal collection but after that, decided against it.
    We left the store with rather a bad impression.

Ofcourse this incident doesn't keep Montale from being a very nice perfume house.

Thanks Cedric!1

I am so sorry you had a bad experience with Ellena, she has always been amazingly kind and generous to me.
    Maybe she thought you guys were there to spy.....LOL......But the perfume biz is like that....don't you find this?
    It can be very cut throat.

Anyway.......wish your experience there was better.

Glad you got to test the line out though.

I just tried the Aoud lime and thought i'd hate and i actually really like it......its a great scent for a man but i'd wear it anyway

Reviving this 3-year old thread because I just noticed CSP is offering a new series of OUD-based perfumes:
    Aouda
    Oud Intense
    Aoud de Nuit
    Nomaoud
    Short reviews of all four at Perfume Posse
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I used to love certain of the original CSP--the sassafrassy Harmonie Creole was a mainstay of mine--used to order them from House of Versailles in Charleston. They weren't sold in the US much, although Nordstrom had them a bit later. Then came the emphasis on vanilla and the overkill.

I do wear Montale Vanille, which is an oud frag. You never hear anyone say this. They talk about "smoke," but it's oud. I find it quirky and fun and enjoy that it is a wimpish, obscured oud, the note baked into a cake with an orchid on top. Patchouli Leaves is a drunken, bar-hopping patch that is also good.

Am afraid of those new CSP oud scents--they are not only way behind the curve (which strikes me as sad, like Guerlain/Caron ouds), but off-base, having wrecked respectability years ago with their plasticky, weak vanillas.

I've heard this rumour many times over the years. As has been pointed out in the previous posts, there are fragrances in the ante-vanilla era of CSP that seem to share a style imprint with some Montales. My candidate for this category would be Barbier des Isles.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 21st August 2009 at 06:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

hmmmm ....that's interesting - haven't CSP just brought out an Oud line in their aluminium brown bottles ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    hmmmm ....that's interesting - haven't CSP just brought out an Oud line in their aluminium brown bottles ?
    Great minds think alike
    Last edited by PaulSC; 21st August 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE