Code of Conduct

Default To decant or not to decant?

OK, so now I have a fantastic list of fragrances which contain chocolate notes in one form or another ([smiley=dankk2.gif]) my next problem is finding them to sample. *So to ebay I go and find most of what I am looking for listed there (currently bidding on a very cheap, unopened Bulgari BLV Notte. *Wish me Luck!) but... a lot of them are decanted. *Although I have bought from ebay before, the cynic in me is saying 'how do I know if these fragrances are unadulterated?' *If I have never smelt it before and I am buying blind how do I know if this is the original, undiluted scent? *I wondered if anyone had any feedback on this subject? *Is it recommended or has anyone had a bad experience? *It would be ideal to buy a small amount on ebay for a couple of dollars/pounds before committing myself to a whole bottle, but if the smell is not the same because the product has been diluted I'll have wasted my money anyway (and possibly be disappointed when I buy full size, only to find it smells quite different.) *Decisions, decisions!!!

Ladylonestar

Default Re: To decant or not to decant?

You can check Basenotes Shopping Guides for Fragrance and Skincare. There's a list of internet sites that offer samples for purchase. Perfumebay is a good site for designer/prestige fragrance samples. Regarding ebay -- as with any transaction -- check the feedback. Happy sniffing! [smiley=wink.gif]

Thank you for the pointers. I forsee my future holds much shopping...

I'd trust the reputable members on this board and the ebay sellers with good feedback to not water down or adulterate the sectns. Decants are a good way to try a bunch of scents without spending a lot of money on whole bottles you'll never use. I've bought and swapped many decants with members on this board and never once felt like I was cheated. I love this place!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

MJH

If you're buying on eBay, just be sure the seller has excellent feedback...and lots of it.
    They're still able to make a profit by buying whole bottles and subdividing and selling them
    as decants without the need to alter or dilute them: their reputations depend on that.