Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver recs please?

I'm wanting to explore fragrances that are heavy on vetiver (preferably with mostly other green notes as well) and was hoping to get some recommendations.
    I'm really curious about CdG Vetiverru in particular. I don't like most florals and tend not to like fragrances that could be described as classy or traditional.

TIA!
    ~Ana

Default Re: Vetiver recs please?

Ana, welcome to the board!

Guerlain's Vetiver is among the most accessible. Vetiver pour Elle is supposed to be good but very difficult to find.

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...ives/2005/6/17

As for the others, I suggest that you take a look at the Ultimate Vetiver thread on the men's board:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1121378092/0
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge vetiver fan. My favorites are Hermes Vetiver Tonka and Jalaine's Vetiver oil.

Here are reviews of other fragrances:
    Vetiver Fragrances

All descriptions are written and described firsthand by eBay seller: parallax442 / ebay store: Liquid Art. Descriptions are the opinion of author and are not provided by the fragrance manufacturer unless specifically implied. Copyright parallax442

These are copied with the express permission of the author.

ANNICK GOUTAL - VETIVER - EDT
    Dry / Woody. Opens with a sharp camphor note that is remindful of both the ocean and the forest. Hints of oakmoss and cedar mellow this perfume into an almost mildew-like state (not a bad thing). The best way that I can describe this is a beautiful girl's leather shoes after a romantic stroll in a damp forest. Main complimentary note: Leather

AZZARO – PURE VETIVER – EDT
    Musky / Citrus. Easily the most brutish vetiver in this collection. A common musk note found in many men’s designer fragrances (Eternity, Yohji, Miyake) can be detected immediately and does not let go for it’s duration. Main complimentary note: Grapefruit

CARLO CORINTO - VETYVER - EDT
    Smoky / Citrus. A buttery smokehouse flavor. After 30 minutes, this wears off and leaves a velvety and slightly oily grass. Topped with bergamot and lemon, Main complimentary note: Oak

CARVEN - VETIVER - EDT
    Herbal / Citrus. Originally released in 1957, this top-heavy classic by Carven has a very short life. An immediate blast of lemon, spice, and lavender passes quickly into a delicate oakmoss base. Perfect for someone who doesn’t want to smell like something for more than 5 minutes. Main complimentary note: Coriander

CASWELL-MASSEY - VETIVER - COLOGNE
    Herbal / Floral. Exceedingly delicate. A subdued citrus note with almond overtones supported from underneath by sandalwood and rosewood. A very pretty and soft interpretation of vetiver. Main complimentary note: Heliotrope

COMME DES GARCONS - VETTIVERU - EDC
    Bright / Citrus. Surprisingly deep for an Eau de Cologne. In fact, as an eau de cologne, this perfume is capable of subtle hints of flavor that the others lack. The most balanced fragrance of Comme des Garcons' hard to get Series 4, the short-lived citrus and pepper in the top note blooms into an intimate and delicate green. Main complimentary note: Lemon

COMPTOIR SUD PACIFIQUE - VETYVER HAITI - EDT
    Sweet / Woody. The surprisingly pleasant combination of vanilla and vetiver. Sweet, but not overly so, the creamy and unique accord brings a direction that none of the other vetiver perfumes possess. Main complimentary note: Vanilla

CREED - BAYRHUM VETIVER - EDT
    Sweet / Herbal. This phenomenally rare fragrance was introduced to me by a friend and connoiseur. As far as I know, it is discontinued and was never released in the USA. Creed blends clove, bergamot, and evergreen to create a scent that perfectly captures the essence of the holiday season. Invite a dashing and well-dressed pirate to your table at Christmas, and this is what he will be wearing. Main complimentary note: Laurel

CREED - ORIGINAL VETIVER - EDP
    Clean / Citrus. Incredibly hard to get and only available at their Avenue Pierre de Serbie boutique in Paris, this part of Creed's Millesime line is the cleanest vetiver in this collection. Soapy and perfect for after a shower, Creed's interpretation is almost childlike in it's purity. After an initial release of musk, this evolves into a sweet and long-lasting fragrance that is stunning in it's brightness. True to their heritage, this perfume is a perfect blend of both French and English. Truly a top class perfume from the third oldest perfume house in the world. Main complimentary note: Lilac

DEMETER – VETIVER – COLOGNE
    Sweet / Spicy. An interesting version of vetiver which juxtaposes the grass against a background of toffee-like musk. Spicy and slightly dry with overtones of burnt spun sugar. Odder still, this fragrance takes on a soapy quality after it has dried. Main complimentary note: Caramel

DIFFERENT COMPANY – BOIS D'IRIS – EDT
    Floral / Woody. While this fragrance is not marketed as a vetiver scent, it contains copious amounts of the grass and presents it with a feel that is unique in this collection. A gorgeous Tuscan iris blends perfectly with the vetiver for a doughy and floral complexion. Main complimentary note: Iris

ETRO – VETIVER – COLOGNE
    Spicy / Woody. A smoky and dry vetiver that is bold, yet surprisingly free of extraneous sweetness. This fragrance possesses a bitter, burnt sugar quality that reminds me of a handful of young grass blended into a cup of espresso. Main complimentary note: Tobacco

FRAGONARD – VETIVER – EDT
    Citrus / Woody. A citrus vetiver with evergreen overtones. Buttery, smoky, and soapy flavors prevail in a vetiver fragrance that is not unusual in itself, but is composed of many unusual elements. Main complimentary note: Pine

FREDERIC MALLE – VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE
    Spicy / Woody. This phenomenally dry composition by Dominique Ropion is a classic study in effectively spotlighting a particular ingredient. Scant quantities of bergamot and bitter orange reveal, yet do not mask the hidden spiciness of the Haitian vetiver. After drydown, becomes rather reminiscent of a freshly-sharpened pencil. Additional notes of nutmeg, sandalwood and patchouli. Main complimentary note: Pink Pepper

GENDARME – V – COLOGNE
    Clean / Woody. V for Vetiver. A very clean, yet bracing fragrance with a healthy base of civet, tonka, and of course, vetiver. Gendarme fragrances are bright, transparent and are composed of light florals. Although this perfume is the earthiest of their line, it is still pure Gendarme. Main complimentary note: Ylang-Ylang

GUERLAIN – VETIVER – EDT
    Citrus / Woody. This is where everyone should begin their journey into vetiver fragrances. Introduced in 1959, this is the yardstick by which all other vetivers are compared. A paradox… fresh, yet deep; sharp, yet soft. A perfect blend of citrus, spice and tobacco. Main complimentary note: Lemon

HISTOIRES DE PARFUMS – VETIVER TRADITIONNELLE - EDC
    Sweet / Woody. A beautiful rendition that shows off a creamy balance of woods, vanilla, and citrus. While a tad sweeter than many others in this collection, the grass does not hesitate to shine through and reveal it's depth. Main complimentary note: Petitgrain

I PROFUMI DI FIRENZE – FRESCO DI VETIVER - EDP
    Musky / Citrus. Heavier than other citrus vetivers due to the Sicilian lemon (a bit edgier than other lemons). An fragrance with elegant musky and soapy overtones. Main complimentary note: Sicilian lemon

JO MALONE – BLACK VETYVER CAFÉ - COLOGNE
    Spicy / Woody. Rich and warm in character, the dominant spices and woods make this a well-balanced cologne indeed. Unlike other vetivers, the grassy note is slightly muted and does not take the complete spotlight. Frankincense and sequoia bark add weight to this mysterious cologne. Main complimentary note: Coffee

JO MALONE – VETYVER – COLOGNE
    Sweet / Citrus. Very characteristic of Jo Malone’s single note interpretations, this one is sweet, wet and bright. Beautiful in it’s simplicity. It’s hard to decide if this is a citrus-tempered vetiver or a vetiver-tempered citrus. Main complimentary note: Bigarade Orange

LANVIN – VETYVER – EDT
    Musky / Citrus. Redesigned and a completely different perfume from their 1964-1980 vetiver issue. This fragrance is a slow starter. After the citrus burns off, the warmth of the copious musk and woods bring a dimension that takes patience to discover. Thyme, pimento, juniper, lime, bergamot. Main complimentary note: Nutmeg

L’ARTISAN PARFUMEUR – VETIVER – EDT
    Citrus / Woody. This perfume is a journey of the senses. Unfortunately rare and no longer exported to the USA, this perfect composition by L’Artisan shows a rare wood note at the top (most likely rosewood) which gives way only when the sandalwood in the base takes over. L’Artisan is well-known for the quality of their ingredients and this is readily apparent in all stages of this perfume’s life. Main complimentary note: Bergamot

L’OCCITANE – VETYVER – EDT
    Herbal / Citrus. Very distinctive. By blending vetiver with the mintiness of geranium and the pungency of rosemary, L’Occitane has created an impressive and unusual mix. Cedar, cypress, and patchouli anchor this most interesting interpretation of vetiver. Main complimentary note: Geranium

LORENZO VILLORESI – VETIVER – EDT
    Herbal / Woody. Creamy, green and distinctively earthy. Imagine a path of vetiver grass bordered by an herbal hedge maze of rosemary, bay, sage, lavender, and possibly mint. Powerful and rich tones of cedar, cypress and incense add a very smoky aura to an already dizzying blend. Main complimentary note: Eucalyptus

MAITRE PARFUMEUR ET GANTIER – ROUTE DU VETIVER – EDT
    Herbal / Woody. Arguably, the truest vetiver in this collection. This vetiver is animalic, leathery, woody, and as deep as a well. Touches of blackcurrant and jasmine are virtually undetectable and perfectly composed. Main complimentary note: Cedar

MARK BIRLEY – FOR MEN – EDT
    Spicy / Woody. A peppery and woody fragrance loaded with base notes. The natural feel of dry grass and musk compose this elegant perfume. Mandarin and bergamot at the top burn off quickly resulting in an intellectual and reserved fragrance. Main complimentary note: Violet
    PUIG – VETIVER DE PUIG – EDT
    Citrus / Herbal. OK… at the beginning, I thought… I have smelled this before. However, after 10 minutes, mildew, musk, amber and pepper bloom to assemble a very natural pheromonal scent. Main complimentary note: Oakmoss

ROGER & GALLET – VETYVER – EDC
    Spicy / Citrus. Created in 1976. Happy and uplifting. An intense citrus opening that simply disappears after 5 minutes. Stage 2: spices and woods arrive to create a slightly conventional, yet quite pleasant vetiver. Main complimentary note: Mandarin

SANTA MARIA NOVELLA – VETIVER – EDC
    Herbal / Woody. Similar to Annick Goutal at the start, but in a short while, a BIG fat rose arrives to make this perfume unusual in placing a dominant floral next to the grass. Other notes: mint, sage. Main complimentary note: Rose

SERGE LUTENS – VETIVER ORIENTAL – EDT
    Dry / Oriental. Available only in Paris as part of the Shiseido non-export line, Serge Lutens has envisioned a sprig of vetiver grass growing out of a bottle of Tocade by Rochas. The most abstract perfume in this set. Powdery florals, subtle citrus, and the classic oriental accord of musk / sandalwood. Barely noticeable touches of vanilla and oakmoss peek out after drydown. Main complimentary note: Aldehyde

Lots of intriguing options! Thank you :-)

I'm definitely going to go try the Annick Goutal.

MJH

My favorite vetivers are Guerlain Vetiver, Annick Goutal Vetyver, Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, L'Occitane Vetyver and Hove's Vetivert.

Guerlain's version has citrus-y top notes (that remind me of classic men's colognes) and sits on
    a Guerlainade base of tonka bean and vanilla.

Goutal's Vetyver is darker, richer.....downright pungent!

Vetiver Extraordinaire is a bit sweet and spicy, but very suave and smooth for a scent with such a pronounced vetiver accord.

L'Occitane's Vetyver veers from the grassiness of many of the other vetivers and emphasizes woody notes.

Hove's Vetivert is brisky, spicy, un-sweet and very pure, but not long-lasting.

Guerlain Vetiver and L'Occitane Vetyver are probably the easiest to find and sample, and are both excellent.

I'm still leaning toward the AG but am curious about the L'Occitane too. Do most places that carry Annick Goutal have the Vetiver or is it hard to find?

Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous read. And lots of drool too. ;-)

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWoman
    I'm still leaning toward the AG but am curious about the L'Occitane too. Do most places that carry Annick Goutal have the Vetiver or is it hard to find?
    Ana,
    I can only report what I see available locally: here in Cincinnati, the only store that carries Annick Goutal scents is Saks, but they didn't carry Vetyver the last time I was there. I bought my L'Occitane Vetyver at the lone L'Occitane store in one of the local malls. L'Occitane's scents are generally much less expensive and easier to find, and they have a secure on-line website:
    http://usa.loccitane.com/product/sce...=sc_aw_Vetyver

If you send me a PM, I'd be happy to send samples of both.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a vetiver a fan, but can say that the two most beautiful (to me) vetivers are Serge lutens vetiver Oriental & Montale Paris vetiver des Sables

Another Guerlain Vetiver fan. For straight up crisp Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver is wonderful! Just picked up some Perlier Vetiver foam bath at TJ Maxx over the weekend -- great product for Vetiver lovers. http://www.perlier.com/home.php?cat=19

Also love Le Baiser du Dragon for a lushious feminine vetiver.

After trying FM, Carven, L'Occitane, and Guerlain.....Annick Goutal wins! It's perfect for me and, if I may say, smells dead sexy!

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle. Luca Turin praises that, and says it will join the regular line next year. For the time being, swapping or ebaying is the way out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A great ladies scent thats heavy in vetiver is Le Basier Du Dragon by Cartier.

Much niceness!

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by perfumelife
    Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle. Luca Turin praises that, and says it will join the regular line next year. For the time being, swapping or ebaying is the way out.
    That's wonderful news! Thank You!
    I don't even want to admit how I've been plotting and planning to land me a bottle of that one. [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by High_Tech_Radiance

Also love Le Baiser du Dragon for a lushious feminine vetiver.
    Oooops! Sorry HTR, didn't read properly it would seem.

[smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I am a huge vetiver fan. My favorites are Hermes Vetiver Tonka and Jalaine's Vetiver oil.

Here are reviews of other fragrances:
    Vetiver Fragrances

All descriptions are written and described firsthand by eBay seller: parallax442 / ebay store: Liquid Art. Descriptions are the opinion of author and are not provided by the fragrance manufacturer unless specifically implied. Copyright parallax442

These are copied with the express permission of the author.

ANNICK GOUTAL - VETIVER - EDT
    Dry / Woody. Opens with a sharp camphor note that is remindful of both the ocean and the forest. Hints of oakmoss and cedar mellow this perfume into an almost mildew-like state (not a bad thing). The best way that I can describe this is a beautiful girl's leather shoes after a romantic stroll in a damp forest. Main complimentary note: Leather

AZZARO – PURE VETIVER – EDT
    Musky / Citrus. Easily the most brutish vetiver in this collection. A common musk note found in many men’s designer fragrances (Eternity, Yohji, Miyake) can be detected immediately and does not let go for it’s duration. Main complimentary note: Grapefruit

CARLO CORINTO - VETYVER - EDT
    Smoky / Citrus. A buttery smokehouse flavor. After 30 minutes, this wears off and leaves a velvety and slightly oily grass. Topped with bergamot and lemon, Main complimentary note: Oak

CARVEN - VETIVER - EDT
    Herbal / Citrus. Originally released in 1957, this top-heavy classic by Carven has a very short life. An immediate blast of lemon, spice, and lavender passes quickly into a delicate oakmoss base. Perfect for someone who doesn’t want to smell like something for more than 5 minutes. Main complimentary note: Coriander

CASWELL-MASSEY - VETIVER - COLOGNE
    Herbal / Floral. Exceedingly delicate. A subdued citrus note with almond overtones supported from underneath by sandalwood and rosewood. A very pretty and soft interpretation of vetiver. Main complimentary note: Heliotrope

COMME DES GARCONS - VETTIVERU - EDC
    Bright / Citrus. Surprisingly deep for an Eau de Cologne. In fact, as an eau de cologne, this perfume is capable of subtle hints of flavor that the others lack. The most balanced fragrance of Comme des Garcons' hard to get Series 4, the short-lived citrus and pepper in the top note blooms into an intimate and delicate green. Main complimentary note: Lemon

COMPTOIR SUD PACIFIQUE - VETYVER HAITI - EDT
    Sweet / Woody. The surprisingly pleasant combination of vanilla and vetiver. Sweet, but not overly so, the creamy and unique accord brings a direction that none of the other vetiver perfumes possess. Main complimentary note: Vanilla

CREED - BAYRHUM VETIVER - EDT
    Sweet / Herbal. This phenomenally rare fragrance was introduced to me by a friend and connoiseur. As far as I know, it is discontinued and was never released in the USA. Creed blends clove, bergamot, and evergreen to create a scent that perfectly captures the essence of the holiday season. Invite a dashing and well-dressed pirate to your table at Christmas, and this is what he will be wearing. Main complimentary note: Laurel

CREED - ORIGINAL VETIVER - EDP
    Clean / Citrus. Incredibly hard to get and only available at their Avenue Pierre de Serbie boutique in Paris, this part of Creed's Millesime line is the cleanest vetiver in this collection. Soapy and perfect for after a shower, Creed's interpretation is almost childlike in it's purity. After an initial release of musk, this evolves into a sweet and long-lasting fragrance that is stunning in it's brightness. True to their heritage, this perfume is a perfect blend of both French and English. Truly a top class perfume from the third oldest perfume house in the world. Main complimentary note: Lilac

DEMETER – VETIVER – COLOGNE
    Sweet / Spicy. An interesting version of vetiver which juxtaposes the grass against a background of toffee-like musk. Spicy and slightly dry with overtones of burnt spun sugar. Odder still, this fragrance takes on a soapy quality after it has dried. Main complimentary note: Caramel

DIFFERENT COMPANY – BOIS D'IRIS – EDT
    Floral / Woody. While this fragrance is not marketed as a vetiver scent, it contains copious amounts of the grass and presents it with a feel that is unique in this collection. A gorgeous Tuscan iris blends perfectly with the vetiver for a doughy and floral complexion. Main complimentary note: Iris

ETRO – VETIVER – COLOGNE
    Spicy / Woody. A smoky and dry vetiver that is bold, yet surprisingly free of extraneous sweetness. This fragrance possesses a bitter, burnt sugar quality that reminds me of a handful of young grass blended into a cup of espresso. Main complimentary note: Tobacco

FRAGONARD – VETIVER – EDT
    Citrus / Woody. A citrus vetiver with evergreen overtones. Buttery, smoky, and soapy flavors prevail in a vetiver fragrance that is not unusual in itself, but is composed of many unusual elements. Main complimentary note: Pine

FREDERIC MALLE – VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE
    Spicy / Woody. This phenomenally dry composition by Dominique Ropion is a classic study in effectively spotlighting a particular ingredient. Scant quantities of bergamot and bitter orange reveal, yet do not mask the hidden spiciness of the Haitian vetiver. After drydown, becomes rather reminiscent of a freshly-sharpened pencil. Additional notes of nutmeg, sandalwood and patchouli. Main complimentary note: Pink Pepper

GENDARME – V – COLOGNE
    Clean / Woody. V for Vetiver. A very clean, yet bracing fragrance with a healthy base of civet, tonka, and of course, vetiver. Gendarme fragrances are bright, transparent and are composed of light florals. Although this perfume is the earthiest of their line, it is still pure Gendarme. Main complimentary note: Ylang-Ylang

GUERLAIN – VETIVER – EDT
    Citrus / Woody. This is where everyone should begin their journey into vetiver fragrances. Introduced in 1959, this is the yardstick by which all other vetivers are compared. A paradox… fresh, yet deep; sharp, yet soft. A perfect blend of citrus, spice and tobacco. Main complimentary note: Lemon

HISTOIRES DE PARFUMS – VETIVER TRADITIONNELLE - EDC
    Sweet / Woody. A beautiful rendition that shows off a creamy balance of woods, vanilla, and citrus. While a tad sweeter than many others in this collection, the grass does not hesitate to shine through and reveal it's depth. Main complimentary note: Petitgrain

I PROFUMI DI FIRENZE – FRESCO DI VETIVER - EDP
    Musky / Citrus. Heavier than other citrus vetivers due to the Sicilian lemon (a bit edgier than other lemons). An fragrance with elegant musky and soapy overtones. Main complimentary note: Sicilian lemon

JO MALONE – BLACK VETYVER CAFÉ - COLOGNE
    Spicy / Woody. Rich and warm in character, the dominant spices and woods make this a well-balanced cologne indeed. Unlike other vetivers, the grassy note is slightly muted and does not take the complete spotlight. Frankincense and sequoia bark add weight to this mysterious cologne. Main complimentary note: Coffee

JO MALONE – VETYVER – COLOGNE
    Sweet / Citrus. Very characteristic of Jo Malone’s single note interpretations, this one is sweet, wet and bright. Beautiful in it’s simplicity. It’s hard to decide if this is a citrus-tempered vetiver or a vetiver-tempered citrus. Main complimentary note: Bigarade Orange

LANVIN – VETYVER – EDT
    Musky / Citrus. Redesigned and a completely different perfume from their 1964-1980 vetiver issue. This fragrance is a slow starter. After the citrus burns off, the warmth of the copious musk and woods bring a dimension that takes patience to discover. Thyme, pimento, juniper, lime, bergamot. Main complimentary note: Nutmeg

L’ARTISAN PARFUMEUR – VETIVER – EDT
    Citrus / Woody. This perfume is a journey of the senses. Unfortunately rare and no longer exported to the USA, this perfect composition by L’Artisan shows a rare wood note at the top (most likely rosewood) which gives way only when the sandalwood in the base takes over. L’Artisan is well-known for the quality of their ingredients and this is readily apparent in all stages of this perfume’s life. Main complimentary note: Bergamot

L’OCCITANE – VETYVER – EDT
    Herbal / Citrus. Very distinctive. By blending vetiver with the mintiness of geranium and the pungency of rosemary, L’Occitane has created an impressive and unusual mix. Cedar, cypress, and patchouli anchor this most interesting interpretation of vetiver. Main complimentary note: Geranium

LORENZO VILLORESI – VETIVER – EDT
    Herbal / Woody. Creamy, green and distinctively earthy. Imagine a path of vetiver grass bordered by an herbal hedge maze of rosemary, bay, sage, lavender, and possibly mint. Powerful and rich tones of cedar, cypress and incense add a very smoky aura to an already dizzying blend. Main complimentary note: Eucalyptus

MAITRE PARFUMEUR ET GANTIER – ROUTE DU VETIVER – EDT
    Herbal / Woody. Arguably, the truest vetiver in this collection. This vetiver is animalic, leathery, woody, and as deep as a well. Touches of blackcurrant and jasmine are virtually undetectable and perfectly composed. Main complimentary note: Cedar

MARK BIRLEY – FOR MEN – EDT
    Spicy / Woody. A peppery and woody fragrance loaded with base notes. The natural feel of dry grass and musk compose this elegant perfume. Mandarin and bergamot at the top burn off quickly resulting in an intellectual and reserved fragrance. Main complimentary note: Violet
    PUIG – VETIVER DE PUIG – EDT
    Citrus / Herbal. OK… at the beginning, I thought… I have smelled this before. However, after 10 minutes, mildew, musk, amber and pepper bloom to assemble a very natural pheromonal scent. Main complimentary note: Oakmoss

ROGER & GALLET – VETYVER – EDC
    Spicy / Citrus. Created in 1976. Happy and uplifting. An intense citrus opening that simply disappears after 5 minutes. Stage 2: spices and woods arrive to create a slightly conventional, yet quite pleasant vetiver. Main complimentary note: Mandarin

SANTA MARIA NOVELLA – VETIVER – EDC
    Herbal / Woody. Similar to Annick Goutal at the start, but in a short while, a BIG fat rose arrives to make this perfume unusual in placing a dominant floral next to the grass. Other notes: mint, sage. Main complimentary note: Rose

SERGE LUTENS – VETIVER ORIENTAL – EDT
    Dry / Oriental. Available only in Paris as part of the Shiseido non-export line, Serge Lutens has envisioned a sprig of vetiver grass growing out of a bottle of Tocade by Rochas. The most abstract perfume in this set. Powdery florals, subtle citrus, and the classic oriental accord of musk / sandalwood. Barely noticeable touches of vanilla and oakmoss peek out after drydown. Main complimentary note: Aldehyde
    Excellent. Thanks very much. I find most of the descriptions to be very close to my experiences. I can relate to the above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You've certainly covered a lot of ground, SoCal Woman! But I do hope you'll try one of my favorites;
    Mazzolari-Vetiver. It is a creamy floral vetiver that is not to be missed!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

No vetiver list is complete without Givenchy Vetyver.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The quote from parallex442 that socalwoman posted is interesting reading, but it's quite a bit outdated so I'm not sure how useful it would be to someone looking to learn about vetivers. Several of the fragrances are no longer available or very hard to find (i.e. Casswell Massey, Creed (Bayrum), CSP, Histoire de Parfums, L'Artisan, and Roger & Gallet). Plus, I don't know if Azzaro still makes Pure Vetiver but it's not exactly a standard presentation of vetiver, and while TDC Bois d'Iris contains vetiver it's also not a vetiver-centric perfume. So basically a large % of the list is good reading but potentially not very useful for exploration purposes.

CdG Vetiveru is a good place to start because it's a fairly mild vetiver. The note may seem sharp at first, but once you get past the sharpness and begin exploring the different facets (green, salty, damp, earthy, herbal, etc.) of vetiver plus how those facets are effected by what the vetiver is mixed with the real beauty and versatility of vetiver can be almost addictive.

Vetiver Pour Elle (Guerlain) is also a good place to start, as is the men's version Vetiver. You may want to avoid the stronger and more astringent presentations (Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, Chanel Sycomore, MPG Route de Vetiver) until you're acclimatized to the note.

Other excellent vetivers:

Givenchy Vetyver
    Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician
    Floris Vetiver (note - discontinued)
    Chantecaille Vetiver (note - expensive)
    Mazzolari Vetiver
    Le Labo Vetiver 46
    Diptyque Vetyverio

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Mazzolari Vetiver. Tried it at kumquat's house. At first I was ambivalent, but I actually used up one of my valuable "edit review" options to upgrade my review since then. Really, it is nice, and I rank it up there with my other two favorites, Guerlain and Frederic Malle. I like 'em to lean toward rooty and grassy.