Code of Conduct

Default Maybe not your HG, but your most interesting

Do you have fragrances that are very interesting to you, though you don't know you'd buy them, and whether they're even you? But still, you're intrigued.

I won a huge lot of 110 perfume samples on ebay, and most are older samples ('80's), and a surprising amount have been discontinued, renamed (I believe), or repackaged.

One, "Anucci" Femme was a grand, over-the-top, opera type fragrance, in the sense that not only does this fragrance flamboyantly project, it also expresses large expansive emotion. It was very reminiscent of 'Habanita' on steroids. Where 'Habanita' will settle down in the basenote, 'Anucci' doesn't.
    Can I possibly wear this fragrance? I don't know - I really loved it for about two hours, then I got tired of the way it was wearing me, and not letting go. I had to wash it off to go to bed.

Does anyone have a fragrance such as this, that really intrigues you, but which you're not sure you could ever wear, let alone buy? Did you go ahead and buy it, then regret it?

Default Re: Maybe not your HG, but your most interesting

Oh yes, I sure do have a couple of those, Flathorn. Private Collection, Youth Dew, and Parfum Sacre to name a few. I received 1/6 oz. decants of these in swaps. I swooned just sniffing them. However, I can only take them in small doses because after a few hours they each grate on my nerves and sensories. I had to have the Youth Dew (aka Elderly Dew via Loney's interpretation) but I didn't order the others because I doubt that I'd use them much.

When I have a craving for KM Loukhoum, I want to jump in a pool of it. By the end of the day, I've had my "fix" and put it away until next time
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

MJH

I feel that way about so many scents I already own!
    "Hyper-masculine" scents (whatever that means) like Kouros, Macassar, Antaeus: each time I wear them, I have to ask myself, "Can I pull this off?".....almost like I'm leaving the house dressed as a gaucho or matador. [smiley=rolleyes.gif]
    I jealously guard my bottle of Messe de Minuit, but I don't wear it....ever. We're always saying, "Wear whatever you feel like wearing", but I never feel like smelling like Messe de Minuit. But I would feel a real loss if I swapped my bottle away. I like knowing I can dig it out of the cupboard and smell that smell whenever I feel the need.
    Fracas and Femme parfums: love 'em and sometimes get daring enough to wear them around the house, in the evenings....with the shades drawn. [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Hmmm...two that come to mind are Loulou and Bulgari Black.

I bought a mini of Loulou a few years ago. I had missed it in the 80's I guess. It was plummy and loud and then got "violently" powdery on me. There was something about it that was striking and I really did love that artsy bottle. It made me choke though; the power-powder was just too much. One of the ingredient lists I uncovered claimed it has mace in it. I'd love to be the kind of woman who could pull off wearing mace!

Bulgari Black hijacked me at Marshalls one day. I bought it under duress and excitement. (That and it was marked down.) The rubberized bottle truly caught me off guard and I had already read about the hommage it made to Tokyo and steamy asphalt sidewalks during high summer. I so wanted this one to work on me. As things turn out, rubber and cigarette smoke are not my best fragrance families. I know on some this one smells of wood and vanilla and gets soft and smooth. On me it does smell industrial, artificial and of all the things that would drive someone out of city living. The concept still intrigues me though and I still love the bottle.

Interestingly, both fragrances went to live with Tigs for a while. I think she might still have the Black.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Interestingly, both fragrances went to live with Tigs for a while. I think she might still have the Black.
    I do... many thanks, Key! [smiley=kiss.gif]

I don't really have any scents like that, if something really intrigues me, I'll get it, I just might wear it more rarely than the scents that are "me". AG Passion and SL Datura Noir are like that, they aren't really "me" but they are perfect when the mood strikes. Interestingly both are BIG, narcotic, vampy white evening Florals.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm remembering one more and wonder how I could ever forget.

Pink Sugar.

I split a bottle with The Perfume Hound Dog. Then I ordered some of the oil in roll-on form and a body cream from Zaftig Woman. I keep the oil in a drawer and the whole drawer reeks of it whenever I open it. I don't know about this one. When I need to wear it, I need to wear it and it truly is perfect. All other times it makes me sick- sometimes to even think about it.

Weird.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    "Hyper-masculine" scents (whatever that means) like Kouros, Macassar, Antaeus: each time I wear them, I have to ask myself, "Can I pull this off?".....almost like I'm leaving the house dressed as a gaucho or matador.
    It's always these difficult, slightly controversial scents that, after an initial struggle, leave me shaken but not stirred... the very ones I wouldn't ever want to be without again.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

From my collection, probably Caron's Violet Precieuse (dark & dirty & green violets) and Keiko Mecheri Keiko Mecheri's Myrrhe & Merveilles (sparkling sharp powdery & a little musty floral)

I think my mind's made up, then...
    They shake you up, they grab you; most of the time you hate them, but once in a while they are the only things you want. Sounds like a good trade-off to me!
    I do sort of yearn for a repeat of that experience, as long as I can wash it off when it wears me out!
    There's a good chance this will end up being a "me, me, me" scent like FufuLaRue said.

All the Caron's are like that for me. Why don't they fade at all?

I love the smell of Byblos, but it's not often that I actually feel like wearing it. I'll tend to grab for something else in preference. I have no idea why. is it too strong on me? Too sweet?

I am beginning to wonder if I should give it away.