Code of Conduct

Default 17 July SotDD #2 1890's

There are still two weeks time to hunt for 1890's scents but since it seems to be a more tall order than finding 1880's scents here's the list:

Louis XV (1891) Bourjois
    Newport (1890) Caswell-Massey
    Fleurs de Thé Rose Bulgare (1890) Creed
    Eau de Quinine (1890) Crown Perfumery
    Eau du Coq (1894) Guerlain
    Le Jardin de Mon Curé (1895) Guerlain
    Anthea (1892) Roger & Gallet
    Vera Violetta (1892) Roger & Gallet
    Peau D'Espagne (1895) Roger & Gallet
    Bouquet des Amours (1898) Roger & Gallet
    Lavande Royale (1899) Roger & Gallet
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Default Re: 17 July SotDD #2 1890's

Hmmm. Unless I have the Creed sample, I have

absolutely

nothing

to

wear.

[smiley=laugh.gif]

[smiley=cry.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Hmmm. Unless I have the
    Guerlain Eau du Coq
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    sample, I have

absolutely

nothing

to

wear.
    What fragrance shall the poor girl wear...?
    [smiley=huh.gif] [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]

MJH

I'll be happy to send decants of Lavande Royale and/or Eau de Quinine
    to anyone who needs a sample to participate: just let me know!

Me please?

I did have Eau de Quinine which I bought for a few pounds. Hated it and gave away!!!

If possible could I try the Lavender???
    DONNA

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by donna255
    Me please?

I did have Eau de Quinine which I bought for a few pounds. Hated it and gave away!!!

If possible could I try the Lavender???
    Donna, sent you a PM!

Darn it. I don't have anything, either. Mark could ya? Anything is fine.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    Darn it. I don't have anything, either. Mark could ya? Anything is fine.
    It would be my honor! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    I'll PM you Monday or Tuesday to let you know when it's on its way!

I could send a few drops of the Creed if someone is still needing something to wear.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

I know I have a tiny-mini bottle of (old) C-M Newport that came in a little sample box set lurking around in a drawer somewhere, and I'm going to go with that.

I believe there are some Floris lovers out there and I noticed these two fragrances while browsing the Floris (New York) website, and wondered if they might qualify for inclusion on the 1890's "list" if anyone already owned them?

Floris Special 127: Worn by Grand Duke Orloff, Eva Peron, and Noel Coward?! Looks like early on it underwent a name change though?!

Rose Geranium: Sounds interesting, but it doesn't look like it's currently available as an EdT -- at least on the NY site.

Anyway, looking forward to the 17th!

Ladylonestar

Yes, it does look like the Floris fragrances you mentioned do qualify. Fabulous! Oh, 'cept I don't have those two either. [smiley=cry.gif]

Thanks, Ezhno. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I have a little decant of FdTRB......the rest I don't know or don't have.

What a list!
    The only one I own is Guerlain's Du Coq.

Ladylonestar

I'm in! Big thanks to Mark for the decants of Eau de Quinine and Lavande Royale! [smiley=kiss.gif]

I got a padded envelope today, too, just in time for Sunday. [smiley=smiley.gif]
    Muchas smoochas, Mark, you knight in shining armour! [smiley=kiss.gif]

Now which one shall I wear? Decisions, decisions... [smiley=undecided.gif]

Ladylonestar

Well, it's the 17th of July and Scent of the Decade Day! Thanks to Mark, I'm wearing (but not for long) Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine on one arm and Roger & Gallet Lavande Royale on the other. One word: TRIPPY. Mercy! The Eau de Quinine smells just like my maternal grandfather's shaving mug smelled, and the Lavande Royale smells just like when my father and grandfathers, uncles and brothers, got out of the barber shop. The Lavande Royale also smells like the cologne my father and grandfather wore aftertheir (respective) shaves.

I love both of these! And I'll never, ever wear them again. But I will take them out and spritz them from time to time... for the memories. Thanks, Mark! [smiley=kiss.gif]

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

Yay! Mark also made it possible for me to be in today's SOTDD, too. I've always loved lavender, so I'm going to be wearing the Lavande Royale EDC. Yes, this is a winner for me and I'll definitely be wearing it until my sample is gone! There's a freshness and crispness that finds itself compatible with my nose.

What is there about old frags and me? I absolutely love the Eau de Quinine despite how many find it disagreeable. The chemistry thing again. Mmmmm, neck nuzzling. It may be a masculine scent, but I'm going to wear it and enjoy it anyway.

Mark!
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Thank you to Mark I am wearing Roger & Gallet Lavande Royale. I really like this clean and not sharp,but as it is edc unfortunately gone in a few hours.
    DONNA

Again, thanks to Mark, I'm participating in SotDD by also wearing Roger & Gallet Lavande Royal. This has surprised me today. I find the LR very nice, clean, and comforting. I thought it might be too"simple" for my taste, and while not complex by any means, LR has felt comfortable and satisfying on this lazy Sunday morning.

Have a great day everyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

MJH

It looks like we have the makings of a barbershop quartet! [smiley=grin.gif]
    I had trouble deciding, but finally settled on Eau de Quinine for my SotD today.

I know that many of us have decided to 'make a virtue out of a necessity' wearing
    antique scents, but I really do wear a lot of Crown scents, and usually include
    Crown Sandringham (1873) and Marquis (1928) among my Top Ten or Top Twenty scents.
    My last apartment in the city (before moving to the 'burbs) was on the top floor of
    an 1880's brownstone, with a claw-foot bathtub, gas jets in the walls, no air conditioning
    and no elevator up the five flights of stairs. The heat in the summertime was unbearable!
    I remember reading lots of Edith Wharton and Henry James to try to imagine what our
    ancestors would have done a hundred years ago to contend with the stifling heat.
    As it turns out, traditional eaux de colognes played their part (along with hanging dampened
    sheets over the windows to provide air-conditioning).

Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie was my sotd. I am refreshing for the evening, and heading out to a meeting, where I generally get hugged a lot. Lots of hugging usually leads to compliments on the fragrance, so I'm hoping to hear good things about this one! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Explorator Dumpsterorum

I wore C-M (old) Newport today as my personal little tribute to the 1890's! [smiley=smiley.gif] With typical C-M longevity, the whole experience only lasted an hour and a half -- shared vicariously by you fantastic BN-er's and without proxy by an unusually light Sunday afternoon turnout at my local bowling alley. [smiley=tongue.gif]

Newport and Greenbriar have always been my least favorite C-M's. I wouldn't have had Newport at all except that it was one of the scents included in a C-M men's sampler box offering. It became a nice gentle dry-down after the sharp top notes disappeared. Those two notwithstanding -- I generally love everything that the company produces.

Are we in the 20th century now???

I was occupied with house matters all day and thought I wouldn't get to check in about scent this evening at all. However, since I'm here now, I confess that I wore "modern" scents all day (Leilani and NR for Her.) It was pleasant hearing about all your adventures though.

FuFu- I too like the Eau de Quinine. Can see where it would remind some of their grandfathers or great uncles, but I think it could have easily been unisex. Very clean, quiet and subtle. A good-grooming scent.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    FuFu- I too like the Eau de Quinine. *Can see where it would remind some of their grandfathers or great uncles, but I think it could have easily been unisex. *Very clean, quiet and subtle. *A good-grooming scent.
    I can see today where Eau de Quinine could be unisex; however, back when I was a young girl, such a term and concept were unknown to me and the fabulous smells such as or similar to Eau de Quinine and Lavande Royale would lay the foundation for what I came to know as manly or masculine smells, or at least that which I would, for many years, associate with men. I 'are' smarter now. [smiley=laugh.gif]

Well, I had to work from Thursday to Tuesday (including three 12-hour days) and was too exhausted to remember SotDD #2 on Sunday. [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=sad.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]
    But Eau de Quinine and Lavande Royale sound so very, very promising that I can't wait to try them! Will post when I do.

Many thanks again, everyone for participating in SotDD #2 and for your wonderful, inspiring posts! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Special thanks to Mark for generously sending 1890's goodies for those in need and again extra special thanks to Blue, the mother of SotDD, for this wonderful idea! [smiley=kiss.gif]

SotDD #3 will be Sunday 21 August and the decade 1900, see you then! [smiley=smiley.gif]

I'm a week late but here goes: Lavande Royale is a very nice, slightly herbal/aromatic lavender scent but Eau de Quinine is incredible! This nostalgic scent transports me to La Belle Epoque, and makes me think of pristine white shirts, aprons, sheets and pillowcases, it oozes realcleanliness and freshness, not the faux freshness typical for modern "aquatic" or "oxygenic" scents. What a beautiful find, I wouldn't mind having this treasure in my collection.

Many thanks, Mark for introducing me to the wonderful world of Eau de Quinine! [smiley=kiss.gif]