Code of Conduct

Default What would a Bond girl wear?

We're going to a James Bond dinner, with tuxes, slinky frocks and slinkier cars. Which has got me wondering, what would be a Bond girl's choice of scent?

Default Re: What would a Bond girl wear?

In one of the older movies one of them was wearing l´Heure Bleu

In the books, Mr. Bond's favorite fragrance for women is Vent Vert.

Please do not ask me how, but subconsciously I feel that Agent 007 would favor Revillon's Detchema (introduced in 1953, floral aldehyde).

Mystere Rochas? The old one though.

Perhaps, some chypres: # 19, Scherrer 1, Diorella.

Yes, "L'Heure Bleue" was recognised by Sean Connery (he knew his fragrances...). I'm surprised about the "Vent Vert" - that doesn't strike me as the Bond-of-filmdom's-fame type of fragrance.

But for another choice... it has to be "Agent Provocateur" - British, sex-kittenish, a tease, perfect name.

Okay... one more. How can a Bond girl not wear Chanel?

Ooh, there's "Bandit" if your body chemistry can pull it off. I just discovered this one, and like it so much. Grrr It's not slinky, svelte or smooth, but plenty of animalics, if that's the direction you want to go. And it has a history - presented in the '40's and very daring and daunting for the day.

And finally, the one I would wear - "Profumo" by Acqua Di Parma. It has all the sophistication, elegance, class, and sensuality required by a Bond woman.

Some of those fluffy, little kittens cooing, "Oh James!" (I'm thinking A Veiw to a Kill- and NOT Grace Jones' character.) I'm sure at least one of them had to be wearing Fracas. [smiley=kiss.gif]
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Ladylonestar

Today's Bond girl might wear Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir, I think, or Penhaligon's Love Potion No. 9; Agent Provocateur (as mentioned), Nanadebary (Pink, Bronze, Green), Fifi Chachnil. But thinking on the old Bond movies and Bond girls, there are quite a few I can think of, such as No. 5, Chamade, and Royal Secret -- plus, I spot quite a few at Long Lost Perfumes:

Bond Street
    Oh! de London ("an uptown girl's downtown scent&quot
    My Sin
    Tuxedo
    Uninhibited

Desire = Faberge Aphrodisia
    Darling = Revlon Intimate
    Rue de Rivoli = Le de Givenchy

As I recall, I wore "Oscar" in "You Only Live Twice" in hopes I'd get one for best supporting [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

It depends. The villain might wear Cabochard or Bandit, the good girl a fresh and conventionally feminine Floral.

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    I'm surprised about the "Vent Vert" - that doesn't strike me as the Bond-of-filmdom's-fame type of fragrance.
    Well, it used to be Brigitte Bardot's signature scent. [smiley=wink.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    As I recall, I wore "Oscar" in "You Only Live Twice" in hopes I'd get one for best supporting [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Vent Vert -
    Well, it used to be Brigitte Bardot's signature scent. [smiley=wink.gif]

Really?.... [smiley=huh.gif] that dooeees surprise. I sampled Vent Vert last week for the first time, and find it pleasing... but the favored fragrance of two major sex symbols of the past? Did they go mess with this fragrance? Maybe it used to smell different...

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    Really?.... [smiley=huh.gif] that dooeees surprise. I sampled Vent Vert last week for the first time, and find it pleasing... but the favored fragrance of two major sex symbols of the past? Did they go mess with this fragrance? Maybe it used to smell different...
    I have a mini of the original version and the difference isn't really that dramatic, except that the original is even greener than the new one. I personally find Vent Vert (and Ma Griffe) very sexy but that's just me.

Yes, I find it rather sexy too. Today we are so used to greens (rarely this hysterical though) that it perhasp is difficult for us to imagine what a surprise it must have been to smell this for the very first time. I'm sure it was seen as a "rebel scent" for the very active - and also sexually liberated - woman.

I agree, Dot. When Vent Vert was launched in 1947 it was a very revolutionary scent and a milestone in the history of perfumery: the first Green Floral.

Quote Originally Posted by dorthea
    I'm sure it was seen as a "rebel scent" for the very active - and also sexually liberated - woman.
    That's Brigitte Bardot for sure, she's a Wild One! [smiley=grin.gif]

I find myself more and more drawn to ones like this, that were ground breakers. I just like their history... it enables you to wrap your mind around an era.

I sampled both Bandit and Vent Vert last week, coincidentally.
    I liked Bandit - it didn't do to my skin what it does to some (the olfactory equivalent of a scorched earth policy), but if one didn't know the history of this one, you might think it ran with the pack.
    But then, I try to imagine my elderly mother in it, at the prime of her life, and couldn't. That places it in it's proper context for me. And makes you realize it was the Alpha perfume.

You're right about Vent Vert... if I take it out of today's context and plunk it down into a time when florals reigned, and greens were nonexistent, I can see how daring and edgy it was. And.... edgy and daring ARE sexy.

Chanel No.19, shaken but not stirred!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Wow, lots to think about here. Thankyou. I think I need to learn more about greens, I can see Moneypenny in something green, all that brisk efficiency with more than a hint of something underneath, but that doesn't sound that like the ones described here. Vent vert is sounding rather more like something the crisply tailored teachers/scientists/fencers wear with Bond just before all their clothes fall off. I love the idea of Agent Provocateur or Boudoir, the lineage and names are perfect. I'd like to smell L'heure bleu too, and will be googling Profumo and many of the others listed. This is so interesting, thank you. <mind goes off working out which Chanel for which Bond girl>