Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Worst fragrance note

The difference in perfume preferences still surprises me...
    I've read some reviews on this board which enthralled me enough to seek out a fragrance, and was sorely disappointed when it 'turned' on me, because I so wanted to smell what the person was describing. I'm sure we've all had that bitter experience.
    Knowing each person's chemistry does something different to a fragrance, what are the notes that always seem to put you off?

Coumarin is one for me.
    I don't really like that hay note in a blend. It's okay if it's submerged or used in the service of other notes, but if allowed to become a note of its own will pretty much ruin a scent for me. I adore it in the EO Copaiba Balsam, on its home ground, but NOT in refreshing fragrances, or alas...Mitsouko [smiley=cry.gif]
    They don't speak of a coumarin note in that wonderful fragrance, but I do smell it and believe it's present in there somewhere. It usually makes itself known on the drydown, which it did.

That note has single-handedly sunk "Eau Illuminae"- Parfums Delrae; "Preparation Perfumee"- Andree Putman; "Erolfa"- Creed; "Fruits Sauvages"- CSP; "Iris Nobile" - Acqua Di Parma; "Ecume De Rose"- Parfums De Rosine; "Eau De Rochas"; and "Linden"- Provence Sante.

Default Re: Worst fragrance note

Lily of the valley for me.. feels like needle pins are getting pushed up my nostrils.. right through the base of my skull.. and into my brains...
    nope.. we don´t get along very well [smiley=laugh.gif]

CUMIN! The scent of an armpit is just not a welcome aroma.

Leather or clove. They hate me, and the feeling is mutual.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Basenotes Plus

I concur with lily of the valley and cumin, just can't take 'em.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Gardenia! [smiley=shocked.gif]

I thought it was tuberose but SL Datura Noir and AG Passion proved that I can actually get along with tuberose just fine... [smiley=kiss.gif]

All the faux-fresh marine/aquatic and tutti-frutti type of notes are yucky! [smiley=tongue.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm glad there's someone else who doesn't like the tuttii-fruitti stuff... like being drowned in a giant vat of Kool-Aid.

MJH

Wow! That's fascinating because I really think it was the tonka bean (coumarin) note
    in my Guerlains that finally pushed me over the edge into a full-fledged fragrance addict!
    I love tonka bean!

I can't find a single note that I hate, but there are certain notes that I tend to avoid. *
    The reason I hesitate is because I can find an exception (a scent I like) for almost every
    note that I think I hate.

Florals in general give me difficulty, and I think one of the problems is that I can't help
    comparing the perfume impressions of flowers with the real thing. *Many floral notes are
    are, almost by definition, artificial, since the flowers in question don't yield their essences
    under distillation or enfleurage. *Lily and lily-of-the-valley (two very different plant genera
    and fragrance notes) and lilac are the ones that I usually can't abide. *There are some
    exceptions, though: I like lily-of-the-valley in Insensé and lilac in Royal Bain de Champagne.

Marine notes are OK in very minute doses, but in any kind of concentration they smell like
    spilled booze on my skin: you know, like when you're clearing up the half-empty glasses
    after a party. *On the other hand, Rochas Aquaman manages to add some dry herbal notes
    that make those notes almost unnoticeable to me, so it makes the grade with me (just barely).

Fruit notes almost invariably end up smelling 'plastic-y' to me after the first 15 minutes: there
    are a few exceptions, though, like Royal Bain and Femme.

Ozone. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

It depends.

Some heavy-duty greasy monster roses dripping with oil, some plasticky die-hard cinnamons, some out of this world almonds, some faux peaches, and ALL melons, water-melons and cucumbers!

Lily-of-the-valley, lilies in general, clove and most tuberose notes are the notes I dislike the most. There are some exemptions, "Clove" by CdG smells surprisingly wonderful and the new Angel Lily is at least tolerable.

the scent of APPLE. (I'm thinking BE DELICIOUS, of course. What a sorry excuse for a perfume that is.) Anyway, apple: you're supposed to EAT it. Apples TASTE good, just like SWISS CHEESE, SALMON, and ROAST BEEF. I don't want to reek of any of those things just because they TASTE good. Same goes for apple. It smells acid. Blech.

No apple in my perfume, thank you.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Yes, I avoid Apple, Peach, Chocolate and dominant vanilla for the same reasons and because fruit is almost automatically connected with laundry and bath rooms.

In perfumes I have a long list of brands I dislike for a specific element seemingly contained in all of them. I suspect it is Pepper but I am not sure. For once I absolutely love Piper Nigrum. And Noir Epices is quite nice too.

On the other end, I have loved everything in Mitsouko from days when I knew nothing about colognes even. I Do not even know how I ran into it and kept that small bottle of perfume hidden in my closet for many years. But I can easily see why some people do not like it at all. Kouros is another example and even a phenomenon in how it evokes strong opinions in various directions. Body chemistry cannot explain that away. Much of it is psychology IMO, as is the case with colors and sound. The same sound can mean music to some and just noise to others.

Also - is it a fact, that the individual capability of noses is pretty much the same with people? What role does gender play or age? Many of us need glasses sooner or later. How do we know if our noses work fine. Can they be 'short sighted' or 'cross eyed'? In addition: there is the human unawareness of smell landscapes. We do not know what our apartment, our city or country smells like until we return to them after a longer absence. And if we eat garlic, persons that have not shared the same meal will detect the garlic on or around us many hours later. Therefore I believe, that body odor and other smells we are not even aware of, could influence the effect of a cologne.

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have two types of dislike. The first is when a certain note is annoying because I feel it's out of place: camphor and peppermint are two examples of annoying scents which I don't want to smell in my fragrances. They're alright in my lumbago ointment or in my chewing gum though. I'm not a gourmand fan either.

And then there is vetiver, and cardamom...

Ladylonestar

I keep wanting to say that for me it just comes down to "too much" of any note; for example, too much sandalwood, too much patchouli, too much musk. I know that I've read honeysuckle experts say that it's difficult to capture the true scent of honeysuckle in fragrances but I'll have to definitely say too much honeysuckle ruins a fragrance for me. Also, there are a couple of fragrances that I don't particularly care for and both list pimento as a note. Pear -- I'm not sure I'm particularly fond of pear in fragrances. I don't really know -- tough question -- and I don't have a quick and easy answer.

Most citrus notes. I don't know why because I really, really appreciate a nice citrus scent on other people on a hot summer day, but somehow I can't wear it myself.

Lily of the Valley, Orange Flower, Apple, Cinnamon, Tuberose,
    Leather, Grapefruit, Incense, Lavendar, Patchouli,
    Pear, Tea, Ginger, Narcissus, Coconut, Caramel, Coffee, Rhubarb, and good grief I need to stop thinking about it. As has been stated, there are always exceptions. I usually shy away from patchouli, but I love Flowerbomb for example. And grapefruit usually turns into something vile on my skin, but then when I wear Jardins Ottomans, it's a different story. It's all about the blend.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Fig and pear. Don't know why, but I just can't bear either of them. And for whatever reason, all Caron perfumes turn acrid on me.

Peach is a tricky one: it can be mellow like the voice of cello or very icky and "tinny". [smiley=tongue.gif]
    Pear is always "tinny"! [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

As much as I love most Annick Goutal scents Petite Chérie smells like tinned pears and peaches in the grass. [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm not a big fan of mint or anise---these will usually ruin a frag for me.

Most of what has been mentioned here:

Cumin, lillies, gardenia, I do not like tobacco (I know that might offend some but I do like new tabarome)

Apples and pears. Any of these fruit salad fragrances just don't work for me. My first real exerience with them (excepting the VS or B&BW stuff) was Joop!
    All about Eve. I expected the Garden of Eden to be floral not an apple orchard....silly me

I see a lot of people tend to dislike fruity notes. For those of you that do, what do you think of Burberry original? I fell in love with this scent immediately because of it smelled very peachy, but not like fruit salad.

Another fragrance with a note I just can't wear is Cabotine, and again I think it's the fruity peach plum notes that turn me right off. I have loved cabochard for years and had great hopes for cabotine but it was just too fruity.
    The one and only fruit I like is Roccobarroco's Tre.

Aniseed is real weird...

me either.

sharaku

The notes which definitely don't work well on me are maybe some woods. I don't dislike them but sometimes I detect pencil scent in a drydown. Probably cedar or sandalwood.

On the other hand, I'd been thinking that I hate citrus but Alpona is wonderful on me. *[smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    I see a lot of people tend to dislike fruity notes. For those of you that do, what do you think of Burberry original? I fell in love with this scent immediately because of it smelled very peachy, but not like fruit salad.
    This is a wonderfully soft, wearable fruity floriental - one of my favorites, it stays comfy soft throughout. I didn't think the peach in this one was "peachy", so I'm surprised you picked up on it immediately. When I first smelled it, I didn't have an ingredient list, and DIDN'T think peach. Go figure.

There is another note I have a real quibble with - I didn't list it because I'm not certain what it's called... I THINK it's a miel (honey) note. Sometimes it's listed as cane sugar, or syrup, etc.
    I for the most part hate that super-sweet, sort of artificially enhanced sugary note. Yeech. The appeal of it is a mystery to me - it introduces a sweet gourmand quality I just can't seem to embrace. Fragrances before the late 80's didn't seem to have this note, but more and more did after 1990.
    Which means I've had to pass on newer fragrances I really wanted to like. The one that broke my heart was Chergui - honey, and earth and leather, and then more honey - wonderful! But it was like the invasion of the body snatchers - I was in the grip of a dominant but alien force... must not sleep... must take shower...
    Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I keep wanting to say that for me it just comes down to "too much" of any note; for example, too much sandalwood, too much patchouli, too much musk. *I know that I've read honeysuckle experts say that it's difficult to capture the true scent of honeysuckle in fragrances but I'll have to definitely say too much honeysuckle ruins a fragrance for me. *Also, there are a couple of fragrances that I don't particularly care for and both list pimento as a note. *Pear -- I'm not sure I'm particularly fond of pear in fragrances. *I don't really know -- tough question -- and I don't have a quick and easy answer.
    I used to abhor Vanilla until I fell in love with Habit Rouge, I'm also struggling to like Caron PUH, however I know that eventually i'll give up the fight. Thus in summary I detest Vanilla in high doses otherwise I'm fine with it.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Grapefruit notes don't work on my skin. They turn to cat pee!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default What's your least favorite note?

I wish I were aldehyde-acceptant.
    I wish I were not a hesperides-hater.
    I can't abide anise nor love licorice.
    Soapy scents make me sickly.

The good news is ...
    my wallet stays closed for all but those few who navigate my natural nasal negativism.

So, what's your turn-off?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: What's your least favorite note?

I'm not sure what my worst is - maybe that pasture note in Serge Lutens MKK. Or tar, or burnt rubber. I'm not so keen on tobacco, smoke, leather. But a little n moderation is ok. I've had enough of patchouli, while it's ok as a minor note, it seems to be overwhelming in all the new fragrances lately.

Oh ... and then there's tuberose.

Clove literally makes me want to toss 'em. And whatever it is in Dzing that smells like rubber, although I find it more curious than appalling. Just wouldn't wear it often. Mentally, I picture it as suitable to wear on a kinky evening and dressing in rubber suits, feathers, and chains... ;D
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    And whatever it is in Dzing that smells like rubber, although I find it more curious than appalling. Just wouldn't wear it often. Mentally, I picture it as suitable to wear on a kinky evening and dressing in rubber suits, feathers, and chains... ;D
    ;D ;D ;D I've never understood kink: how do people keep from laughing at each other?

I'm having a hard time coming up with any notes used in fragrance that I really can't stand.
    In my case, I know there are notes that I'm not very tolerant of: cumin, immortelle, lilac, lily-of-the-valley.
    But I can think of individual scents that include those notes that I love. For example, I don't care for the cumin
    in Kingdom, but love it in Femme. I like the (muted) lilac note in Royal Bain de Champagne, but it gives me
    a splitting headache in most other scents. I'm a huge fan of vetiver, but I've sampled vetiver essential oil
    and found it unbearable in concentration, and I've discovered that it's one of the notes that ruins some scents for me,
    simply because I don't like the way it combines with some other notes.

I with you guys on aldehydes (at least they wear off quickly!) and tuberose (which is long lasting), but the one that I can't get into at all is...

CUMIN

Why, for the love of God would you want to smell like cumin?

????????????????????????????????????

I am not too fond of ginger either, that one has to be used with moderation.

But cumin is horrible, it should be left to food.

We do not approve of nutmeg and strong ozonic notes.

Most of the times I think I have one I am proved wrong when it apears in a different composition, or I simply suddenly start apreciating it. To think I thought I didn´t like lavender......
    Hyacinth. Makes my nose run. I don´t know if that is what makes No. 19 so sharp.

Those sacharine plastic fruit notes ( but not all , some are nice) and fake "ozonic" ones.
    I also don't like strong nutmeg or ginger in a frag or obvious almond/marzipan notes.
    Rose is another one I am not crazy for , but if it's mixed in there well , it's all right (after all most perfumes have rose in them)

All in all , it's mostly in the composition and general character of the perfume : sometimes if a note I don't like is deep in there and blended with other things it is not repulsive to me.

Those "marine" notes that smell nothing like water to me. They just smell like chemicals, and not very pretty ones at that. I do hope they get this note down better down the road, because I love the smell of water, fresh and oceanic. Dune is a fragrance I tried hard to like, but those fake marine notes kept jarring me.

And while I like amber, I'm tiring of finding it in virtually every perfume I try.

Some of the tropical florals turn me off in a big way; they're just not me. I'm not fond of lily, either.

And anything that reminds of grape juice makes me put it down immediately (hello, Poison).

TUBEROSE AKKKKKK! It's the one thing that makes me physically ill. Fracas always smells like the old style, pink was toilet bowl deodorizers that used to be in gas station bathrooms. ( Giving my elder status away here.) I keep the Fracas and the Kingdom sample in a double zip-lock in case they try to escape and poison my house. LOL

Oddly enough, tuberose is both my favorite and least favorite note. Sometimes it's beautiful and pure and...sparkling. In other scents it smells old and grouchy.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

lily of the valley.. instant headache and needles up my nostrils.. :-/

Citrus. I like it on others, but I can't wear it myself. Why I don't know.

I think it may be patchouli that renders Angel toxic when it's on my skin. I love it on other people though. Not so big on an excess of pinky fruity sweetness, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewisse / Scentous
    TUBEROSE AKKKKKK! It's the one thing that makes me physically ill. Fracas always smells like the old style, pink was toilet bowl deodorizers that used to be in gas station bathrooms. ( Giving my elder status away here.) I keep the Fracas and the Kingdom sample in a double zip-lock in case they try to escape and poison my house. LOL
    That's so funny, because I have come in contact with those things very recently! At least, sometimes I go into a bathroom and it will have one of those things on the wall that emits that scent, and I find it heavenly! You'd think that the association with a bathroom would turn me off of Tuberose- nope, it just makes me sort of linger there a little longer than I should :-X

There are a few,gardenia,honeysuckle,tuberose but I discovered I can wear them if well blended down in say a chypre.

Hate the aquatic notes and fruity.

But the one that wins is neroli! I hate neroli and neroli hates me me too. It just gets stronger and stronger on me. Actually think it is a personnal grudge,as it tries to strangle me!
    DONNA

Cumin.

Patchouli makes me physically retch! Not a good look when I am refilling a customers 'Angel' and trying not to gag at the same time! *;D

I cannot stand 'Angel' 'Euphoria' 'Very Irresistable Givenchy pour homme' and although I can stomach 'Prada' I still find it gives me a headache after a while.

I also sampled B-Men and A-Men today and ohhh my goodness! The Burning Wood smell mixed with Chocolate in A-Men had me gagging as well *:-/

I am loving Gaultier2 though....and could sniff that all day. Vanilla-ry scents have that way with me

Ozone!
    Lily-of-the-Valley. It doesn't smell any better if it's disguised as Muguet, or 'Green Spring Florals'. I can tell if it's there!
    Ozone!
    Any patchouli that is dragged kicking and snorting to the kitchen, and dropped into one's caramel, milk, fruit or honey... how rude
    Ozone!
    Let's see... did I say ozone? Oh, yes.

Kathy (who is bitter about the 'Green Spring Florals' deception)

hmmmm
    I think leather is a note I dont really like.
    And I think that pepper is also a note I dont like. But I dont mean tha spicy smell of Omnia, I mean the pepper in Visit for Men.

Coconut and Licorice ....usually turns up my stomach....

Cumin
    Pepper
    Moss

aquatic - yuck. thorny green notes that feel like needles in my throat. overly sweet vanillas. and the omnipresent amber. patchouli by itself or in big concentrations is vomitous, but well blended and in small proportions can be rather nice.

i would have to say

1.tuberose, which i can detect in any quantity--it just screams at me
    2. hay, which reminds me of state fairs and barns and zoos
    3. amber, which recalls sickly sweet cough syrup

It's not usually in perfume, but if there is a similar note in perfume it makes me feel depressed or sickly.
    Can't stand the scent of green fava beans...
    Anything similar with a sickly green coumarinic note is not good for me...
    This includes Angelica. I can't tolerate this note unfortunately

I like many other greens (galbanum, hay...), just not this one.

The only other notes I don't like are the powdery floral notes found in most of the contemporary "fruity florals". They tend to start off fresh and tempting, with luscious artificial fruit and flower accords, but a couple of minutes after settlign on the skin they turn into a headache inducing, boring and super-ordinary undecided powdery-floral of the most synthetic, artificial and beautfy-lacking notes that simply make me ask WHY?

*please note that I do like powdery notes such as violet and orris. I just don't like this particular effect so repetitively done by new perfumes entering he market.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

There are quite a few that are "iffy", but work once in a while depending on how they are used. However, notes that I never like in a frag are:

coffee (love the smell, but only if it's the real thing brewing)
    lily of the valley....yikes
    tea rose

Cardomon - hands down! Something about it when mixed with my body chemistry gives the scent a b.o.ish kind of dry down, which I find to be very unsavory. It's what turned me off from liking Alexander McQueen's 'Kingdom." Loved the other notes, but that cardomon/b.o. dry down was just unbearable. Same thing happens with Lauder's 'Knowing' and with Paloma Picasso. Really love those scents but that cardomon note just turns on me.

There are many, some of which are worse in combination.

Civet and castoreum in the same fragrance
    Smokey tea fragrances
    Any type of melon, ozonic or aquatic "accord"
    "Clean" type fragrances send sharp needles up my nose
    Fragrances heavy on aldehydes
    Sea spray and floral notes created by headspace technology
    Bergamot or lemon in musky fragrances
    Powdery white florals
    Too much almond or heliotrope

That's all for now!

More....

I can't tolerate calone or caline.

Pepper (when it strangles a fragrance!)

Ashtray accords

Really strong leather or tar notes (I like soft leathuh!)

High-pitched cloying white florals (usually lily of the valley or honeysuckle... blech.)

That's it!