Code of Conduct

Default CB I Hate Perfume

The NowSmellThis blog was discussing the CB I Hate Perfume line, which sounds interesting and unique.
    Is anyone acquainted with this line? What are your thoughts?

The 'Russian Caravan Tea' sounds nice.

Default Re: CB I Hate Perfume

I've sniffed the whole line on scent strips, tried a liquid sample of the Narcissus and have a bottle of The Fir Tree.

The CB scent I know best is The Fir Tree, and I do love it. It is exactly as the description indicates: fir trees with a bit of snow and just a hint of earth. I think of it as my It's a Charlie Brown Christmas scent (every time I wear this I hear the "Christmas tiiiiiime is hereagaaaain...." song from the animated movie) - quite lovely, just like having a fir in your living room and inhaling deeply.

These scents do not have a great deal of sillage, staying very close to the skin. The Fir Tree lasts for a couple of hours on me, gradually fading and melting into the skin. I think one of these would make a fantastic addition to a fragrance wardrobe - it really is a way to create a wearable scent-experience around yourself that is meant not to exude a perfumed aura as much as create a scentspace that allows you to live or relive a kind of experience - much more longlasting than most of the Demeters, though lasting power is not the strong suit of the CB line as far as I can tell. Again, my experience with the liquids is limited to The Fir Tree.

I love the creativity that went into this line, and will be purchasing a bottle of Mr. Hulot's Holiday and probably the Summer Kitchen scent. The website seems to indicate that there will be a sample program coming soon, so you can probably wait to test these in liquid form (my scent strips were from scent-systems in the UK) rather soon - ?

Ah - for what it's worth, I only tested my vial of Narcissus once but it was WAY too acridly floral for my taste - something about the flower and the acquatic notes came off as very unpleasantly high-pitched and I only made it through 10 minutes before washing it off. But I can see others loving it and it's probably worth a retest...

Hope that helps!,
    Carla

What did you think of the 'Russian Caravan Tea'?

Samples would be good news indeed.

Hard to get an accurate sense of how this would be on the skin from just the scent strip, but I really liked it -- think the opening of Tea for Two with a peek of wood and without as much smokiness (or the honey). It was nice...but it didn't jump out at me conceptually the way some others did (Fir Tree [ok, maybe not as conceptually daring but I have a weakness for fir trees], Summer Kitchen & Hulot were much more original). Pleasant. Not a stand-out.

What I'd do:

To Buy:
    -You're really in the market for a tea scent, you want to add a tea fragrance to your collection.
    -You have a personal weakness for Russian Caravan Tea, good associations, etc. The best summer of your life was spent sipping Russian Caravan tea in a cottage with Ms. so-and-so. That kind of thing.

Not to Buy:
    -You're curious about the CB line and want to purchase one of them (this is not the stand-out; I'd go with one of the others I mentioned)
    -Tea scents that are basically linear bore you

I love reading Ovid (so much fun), so I had high hopes for the Narcissus (the first in a line that's supposed to be Metamorphoses-themed) - I hope there are more along these lines to come!

Hope this helps - I'm about to go get me some of Mr. Hulot so I can report in detail about that one later,

Be well,
    Carla

MJH

Carla! I just wanted to say I don't even know this line, but Brava for such a terrific write-up!

Thanks, Mark! You're a sweetie.
    My Hulot won't be here for a week or so but do PM me if you'd like to experiment with this line!

Carla

That's a funny name for a perfume! [smiley=lolk.gif]

Funny you should mention CB I-H-P, just went to his website the other day and think he's a very interesting person and perfumer.

Thanks for the great write-up Carla. I'm hoping to try some of these fragrances at some point soon. You sold me on The Fir Tree- especially if it catches that cold, snow covered feel. Wow!
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!