Code of Conduct

Thread: Layering fun

Default Layering fun

Anyone have any great layering experiments to share? I do! Black Cashmere and Nuit d'Orient. Mmmmm! Delicious....

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Layering fun

I'm not at all creative in the layering department. I'm surprised more people haven't responded because I've read of quite a few of our members layering this lotion with that fragrance, or this oil with that oil or perfume, etc. It always fascinates me.

Speaking of Black Cashmere... when it first came out (early 2003?), I happened to be wearing L'Artisan Vanilia when I spritzed Black Cashmere over it, and it was delicious. [smiley=shocked.gif]

Black Cashmere and Cashmere Mist

I don't layer much and only scents from the same house, Angel & A*Men is my favourite.

Etro scents are designed to be layered and there are some great tips on their website http://www.etro.it [smiley=smiley.gif]

"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have several Susanne Langs and they are all made to layer with each other. One combination I like is a little Vanilla Champagne over Blue Musk in the morning and as that starts to fade a little in the late afternoon, Cashmere on top of the them.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

I love to layer:
    Escada Collection EDP over Must d Cartier Perfume...edible but earthly
    La Maison du Parfum Grapefruit over their Madagascar Vanilla...smells just like a Dreamsicle
    Pehaligon Muguet over La Maison du Parfum Spritzer...smells like a fine French milled savon

If there are enough commonalities in the notes among the fragrances you are pretty safe with layering, i always spray the heavier one on first and layer with the lighter, and let it dry down naturally...never rub or pat a fragrance

MJH

I very seldom start out planning to layer scents: it usually just happens naturally when I'm craving a particular note. I've used Shalimar over Caswell-Massey Tricorn, using the Shalimar to 'sweeten up' the Tricorn, while still keeping the focus on sandalwood. I sometimes use Diesel Plus Plus on top of Habit Rouge: it 'plays up' the spicy notes already inherent in Habit Rouge. I use all my Demeter scents (Wet Garden, Dirt, Ivy, Humidor) for layering: they're sold as 'Pick-Me-Up Cologne" sprays, and they're fun to use when you need a burst of top-notes, but don't want to sacrifice the base and drydown that you've already developed with your SOTD.

Blog Entries

A dab of citrus essential oil on top of RL Polo Sport
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Most_Fragrant_One
    I love to layer:
    Escada Collection EDP over Must d Cartier Perfume...edible but earthly
    I have both of these. This sounds so yummy I think I'll try it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Most_Fragrant_One
    La Maison du Parfum Grapefruit over their Madagascar Vanilla...smells just like a Dreamsicle
    Oh and let us not forget that thread somewhere here on BN that said men, when smelling grapefruit-scented fragrances on women, tend to think the women are younger than they really are! They'll think you smell like a very young Dreamsicle, MostFragrantOne! [smiley=cool.gif]

I don't do it much. I leave that to the experts. I'm too afraid of messing up what I have that isn't "broke" if you know what I mean.

I just mixed up a little atomizer of half Un Bois Vanille and half Fleurs d'Oranger. Ohhhh, yeahhhhhhhh!

I think I'll have to try the Un Bois Vanille / Fleurs d'Oranger combination.

I have a few Aqua Allegorias from Guerlain and don't wear them much, but sometimes I'll do a spray of Rosa Magnifica, let it dry a bit, then a spray of Lavande Velours.

In general, I don't tend to layer different scents. In the winter, I'll use a moisturizer or lotion that feels like it would complement the fragrance, but I find the scent dissipates so quickly that I don't much notice a difference.