Code of Conduct

Default Scents for Winter

As always I'm looking for something new. I would really welcome suggestions for a heavy, long lasting fragrance for winter.
    I have or have had - Must, Obcession, Shalimar, Trouble, Vanisia, Helmut Lang. Bandit, PS London, Boudoir, Anglomania, Brit Red, Bois des Iles, Feminite du Bois, Agent Provocateur, Habanita, Prada, Cristobal and many more!!!!!!!!
    Something new please!

Default Re: Scents for Winter

I think you would love Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. Heady, bersexy oriental skinscent. And maybe also my newest love, Dzing! by L'Artisan. Tonka, leather and miusk sprinkled with sawdust. Addictive and unusual.

Ladylonestar

I wear most of mine year-round but... I think Anne Pliska definitely fits the "heavy, long-lasting" category. This is one fabulous fragrance (IMHO, of course). Opium and Opium Secret de Parfum, Cinnabar and Youth Dew, Messe de Minuit and Ambre Sultan. Not that it's heavy, but I absolutely love Nuit de Noel in the winter. Le No. 9 Cadolle, MAC V/3, Black Cashmere... I'm sure there are more!

Nuit de Nol! Yes! Not heavy, but *rich*. Can't believe those basenotes. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Nuit de Nol! Yes! Not heavy, but *rich*.
    Yes, Concord, "rich." Such a small, common word and I could not, for the life of me, think of it. [smiley=rolleyes.gif] Thanks!

Serge Lutens has many warm, rich, full-bodied Orientals that will keep you warm no matter how low the temperature drops.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

"Coco" by Chanel. Smooth, rich, warm, spicy - wonderful.
    "Dinner" by Bobo actually fits this category, I think
    "Ceylon" DSH perfume oil is strong, strong, strong - another spicy amber fragrance.
    "Paloma Picasso"

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm grateful.
    And yes Ladylonester, I wear most of my scents all year round, but sometimes in winter I feel like something heavier.

In the past I have worn Coco, Paloma Piccasso, Opium, Black Cashmere, Youth Dew, & Cinnabar. Ambre Sultan is very much like Vanisia to me, which I've had. I nearly bought Arabie yesterday but it reminded me of another fragrance which escapes me at the moment. I ended up buying Clair de Musc which I'm in love with at the moment.
    I have wanted to try Musc Ravageur and Messe de Minuit for a long time but am unable to get hold of them.
    I shall try and buy Nuit de Noel as I like some of Caron's fragrances eg. Parfum Sacre, Bellodgia.
    The other suggestions sound interesting, I'll keep them in mind. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of George Sand, I hope I like it.

I prefer the heavier, spicier scents in winter such as Arpege (both vintage and modern), Aromatics Elixir, Hannorah's Genny, and LLP's Anarchy, Maroc, Coty Chypre, First, and (my most beloved scent of all time) Inoui. I, too, am a huge fan of Anne Pliska, Coco, Youth Dew and Ambre Sultan. I absolutely fell in love with a sample of Messe de Minuit. It took me on a mystical trip to another place, floating into another time, which I found haunting, nostalgic, and comforting to my senses.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

(" I absolutely fell in love with a sample of Messe de Minuit. It took me on a mystical trip to another place, floating into another time, which I found haunting, nostalgic, and comforting to my senses.&quot

...wow, I've got to try this one. I just *love* fragrances like that.

second all of those mentioned above and want to add Hypnotic Poison, George Sand, Ambre Prcieux, Angelique Encens, Bulgari Black, Misuki, Cuir de Russie... more to come..
    oh yes... Almost the full range of the CgD "Sweet" series ( and probably the Incense too.. i just cant wear them ) especially the "woodcoffee" ( I think it is called that ) [smiley=smiley.gif]

Along with those already mentioned, I would add: Cartier le Baiser du Dragon, Etro Shaal Nur, SL Fumerie Turque, SL Santal de Mysore, SL Chergui, Dior Addict.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Flathorn, try a sample of Messe de Minuit first It startled me initially. If I had closed my eyes, I'd have sworn I was walking through a dusty old library or a mausoleum entrenched and lost deep in foggy, dense woods. There's something ancient about it. It took me a couple of tries, but I ended up putting it on "The Gotta Get List" lolll.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I'll suggest Vol de Nuit. I think it's my preferred allround winter fragrance.

Thank you all, your suggestions are great. I've had Vol de Nuit, Le Baiser du Dragon and Hypnotic Poison. I still have Dior Addict in the cupboard.

Anne Pliska sounds very interesting. I've never heard of this one before. Is it new? Who makes it? Where is it available?

Ladylonestar

Halston and Magie Noire are two that I mostly wear during cooler months. *They just seem to work better for me when it's cool and most especially when the air is drier and not so humid.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS
    Anne Pliska sounds very interesting. I've never heard of this one before. Is it new? Who makes it? Where is it available?
    KAS, I know it's available at Luscious Cargo:

http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan...egory_Code=APP

And also:

Anne Pliska Parfums
    16611 Arminta Street
    Van Nuys, CA *91406
    1-800-959-9324

And, no, it's not *new*. *However, I learned about it in 2004 from VictoriasOwn at Perfume of Life. *I ordered a decant from dragonfly00 on ebay and I've been hooked since! *I'm almost finished with my second bottle of it. *Anne Pliska Perfume and Luscious Cargo will send you small samples, or PM me and I'll send you one.

GOD I LOVE my Orientals!!!!! My faves. Anne Pliska, Opium in any form but expecially the parfum..Vol de Nuit parfum, Misuki, Shalimar parfum, Le Braiser du Dragon, Youth Dew bath oil, Norell, MUST de Cartier, Ambre Precioux, Messe de Minuit, GEORGE SAND, I love Agent Provocateur too...I also like Ombre Rose for winter...very cozy...ANGEL, especially the body cream. Angelique Encens..Parfum Sacre but don't find I wear it much.

Mmmmm- winter perfumes are some of my favorites! Let me see if I can add some that haven't been mentioned.

Winter Delice- Guerlain discontinued it, but you can still find it and it's one of the few Geurlains that I love and it actually loves me back. Wonderful warm notes of pine, labdanum, ginger, vanilla, incense and a final ginerbread "accord" that smells just like gingerbread cookies baking. Can't wait for winter again!

Initail- Love the immortel and cinnamon in this and the dryout leaves a soft, honeyed veil on my skin with a slighly almondy touch.

Asja- wrote a bit of an essay on this one futher back. It opens plummy and warm and smells like Christmas and warm cranberry sauce to me.

Lolita Lempicka- richy, fruity Oriental to the max. Sometimes I just can't get enough of that interesting licorice accord.

Malmaison Carnation (Floris)- The clove is gorgeous in this. Sometimes the carnation itself has the most wonderful tea note. I actually just use the shower gel and then layer a small bit of the bath oil and body lotion together and the fragrance lasts all day. I find it rich and enveloping.

JPG Classique- I wear it any season, but I think the EdP is especially good in the winter, sprayed on lavishly. This one has more rose than I often like, but what I really hooks me is how the perfumer blended the rose so well with daffodil (usually green and not sweet) and the amber. I think this one is an overlooked gem.

First- The parfum in this is rich, yet sophisticated. It starts out a bit green (like Must de Cartier) but then goes "darkly" floral. Better on me in winter, in summer it goes a bit to the chypre side.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Basenotes Plus

I second everything listed so far (I know, I know, that's a lot LOL) and would add Etro Ambra - luscious, soft and warm.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain