Code of Conduct

Default Looking for off-beat Rose fragrance

Having just discovered the delight of the dirty vanilla note in a fragrance, I'm envisioning "raunchy rose"... not having smelled it (but getting almost close one time in a mix with patchouli, though that was way too cheap), I don't quite know how to describe it except to say you would know it when you smelled it (the phrase "raunchy rose" will just pop into your mind). It wouldn't be a light, blithe or romantic floral, but one with earth? resin? wood? animalics? Is there such a fragrance out there? It sounds like a risky mix to me... is it possible to make a rose "dirty"?
    My thinking is that if it is a successful mix, it has already been done, probably many times. So is this a dead-end street, or is there such a fragrance? Thanks so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for off-beat Rose fragrance

Definitely try L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - it's sort of dried roses, leather, earth patchouli, not sure exactly how to describe it, but it fits your description

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacona
    Definitely try L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - it's sort of dried roses, leather, earth patchouli, not sure exactly how to describe it, but it fits your description
    I second VdR but also Agent Provocacteur. Its a real dirrrty rose [smiley=evil.gif]

Ladylonestar

For dirty/earthy rose, I agree with Voleur de Roses. For raunchy, I think of Joy; maybe Agent Provocateur.

Oh, that has to be the one and only "China Rose" by Floris!!

Post Thanks / Like

Une Rose by Frederic Malle is the best earthy rose imho. The earthiness is achived with a truffle note.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Une Rose by Frederic Malle is the best earthy rose imho. The earthiness is achived with a truffle note.
    I love Une Rose, but I'd say if you want Une Rose without the price tag, go for Miss Balmain. It's not quite as smooth or soigné, but it's very, very similar. It's sort of the poor man's Une Rose... of course, many decades before Une Rose existed. It's a great leathery rose chypre.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more to add to the list... The Different Company's Rose Poivree (rose with pepper and spices, certainly a dirty rose!) and Lancome' Sikkim, a rose and leather combo.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Voleur de Roses! You'd might also enjoy Diptyque Opôné. DC Rose Poivrée and FM Une Rose are worth trying, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Czech & Speake's Dark Rose. It's a deep rose mixed with oud.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

The Perfumer's Worshop's [red]*Tea Rose*[/red]
    Diptyque's [red]*Opôné*[/red]
    [blue]and definitely[/blue]
    The Different Company's [red]*Rose Poivrée*[/red]

I've got three suggestions to make for an off-beat Rose fragrance:-

1. "Anglomania" by Vivienne Westwood:-

"A modern, clear-signature leathery rose expressing the duality of a woman picking up the best of different cultures. A bewitching fragrance for the contrasted, extrovert facet of a woman. Spiritual, eclectic & modern woman".

"TOP NOTES: Green Tea, Cardamom & Coriander.
    MIDDLE NOTES: Rose, Otto, Violet & Nutmeg.
    BASE NOTES: Leather, Vanilla & Amber".

2. "Wanderlust" by Jeffrey Dame (Perfume of Life):-

"WANDERLUST super-fume moves immediately into its heart and stays there for hours, descending into the base notes one gentle step at a time. The bright delicate floral entry essences, in particular the muguet, flash off within seconds and the floral entry of muguet, lavender, bergamot, geranium and iris absolute surround and dance to the pure heart of rose otto, rose absolute, bois de rose and jasmine absolute. Ylang ylang with an extra infusion of canaga oil provide not only simple beauty, but elevate and send WANDERLUST super-fume into the air. All this gorgeous pure floralcy at the heart is spread beautifully across an elegant and sensual base of vetiver oil, sandalwood oil and an "eyes closed to the cost" infusion of pure vanilla absolute".

3. "Oud Queen Rose" by Montale-Paris.

Rose Oil & Oud Wood. The other notes for this are hard to find. This is a very dark & woody rose.

Post Thanks / Like

Good one Jill, I forgot about Wanderlust.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

!!... all those amazing descriptions has opened my eyes. I'm new at this, so my first hand knowledge of *any* of these fragrances is zero. As the number of fragrance suggestions *rose*, so did my excitement and surprise. Obviously, this facet of the rose has been given its due. One of each it is - there is no way I can have any less (samples that is...) and feel I will do justice to the exploration of this theme. I'm envisioning overblown roses past their peak in wet, earthy gardens; roses mixed in a scentual cocktail of spices. leather and animalic odors; dusty roses out horse riding in the fresh, wood-steeped air; roses endentured to the service of a perverse fragrance desire. We'll see what the themes end up being.
    A few weeks ago, an ebay store was offering samples of all their Vetiver fragrances, 8 or 9 total, I believe, and at the time I thought that was a very good idea. This is a similar concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Floris China Rose EDP is quite a raunchy rose!!! Almost exudes sex!
    Give it a whirl!

Although not a rose scent, Paloma Picasso opens with a beautiful rose note.

I must be the only one here who doesn't think China Rose = sex in a bottle. Body chemistry works in strange ways!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    I must be the only one here who doesn't think China Rose = sex in a bottle.
    [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] I don't! On my skin it's definitely not what I call sexy, though I was hoping for sex in a bottle. [smiley=wink.gif] I like it okay, but the longer I wear it the stronger the peach becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    Body chemistry works in strange ways!
    Indeed, indeed. Either that or our noses do. Or both. [smiley=wink.gif] An hour or two after applying China Rose, it's a very tobacco-y peach scent on me, with no hint of rose whatsoever.

For those of you who find China Rose sexy, what does it smell like on your skin? What am I missing out on?! [smiley=cry.gif]

Thank God I'm not alone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] For those of you who find China Rose sexy, what does it smell like on your skin? *What am I missing out on?! *[smiley=cry.gif]
    Well, I don't know yet, but so glad to get your input since I know you lean toward rose fragrances. What I need to know from you, BG and Hound Dog is - does it last or is it gone after an hour? That seems to be my main obstacle in selecting a fragrance these days. Even the tobacco-y peach sounds alluring to me, and there is just something so evocative about the name. Maybe I'm just aching to buy something unusual, I dunno. I prefer raunchy over prissy any old day so I guess "staying power" will decide the vote.

Merci for your input . . . JAG [smiley=undecided.gif]

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    What I need to know from you, BG and Hound Dog is - does it last or is it gone after an hour?
    Oh, gosh. I'm the wrong person to ask, JAG. I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the number of fragrances that DON'T last on me. It's just not a problem with me, and China Rose is no exception. I can still smell it the next day/morning. In fact, it seems to get stronger on me for several hours before finally settling down. So for me, it's very long-lasting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Oh, gosh. *I'm the wrong person to ask, JAG. *I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the number of fragrances that DON'T last on me. *It's just not a problem with me, and China Rose is no exception. *I can still smell it the next day/morning. *In fact, it seems to get stronger on me for several hours before finally settling down. *So for me, it's very long-lasting.
    Arrgh! You are so lucky. I ordered a flacon of AG Eau de Charlotte just to see if I liked it well enough to invest in a bottle. Transferring it to a roller ball bottle, I rolled up and down my arms many times and all around my neck and chest. Not even a hint of scent. It is sooo frustrating and the reason I rarely buy Edts with some EdPs being a gamble. China Rose is an EdP and if it lingers on you until morning, surely I could get a few good hours out of it. Thanks Loney!

JAG [smiley=grin.gif]

You all are going to send me to the poor house....After all this talk about roses....I dug through my stash and came up with Velour de Roses to test drive. WOW! I love this stuff. Just bought a decant on ebay. DARE I try Chech and Speak Dark Rose? Lordy! Never mind China Rose!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    DARE I try Chech and Speak Dark Rose?
    Try it, yes; but I wouldn't recommend buying it without testing it first. I have a small decant and can send you a sample vial if you'd like. IM or email me if you're interested, Glo.

Stella McCartney. The scent tries to capture the smell, beauty and fragility of a rose at full bloom. The rose essence creates a romantic scent mixed with a sexy base of amber.

sharaku

I'm not familiar about rose scents. But I can say Tabac Blond parfum has rose note in the drydown on my skin. Sorry I'm not sure 'cause I don't know the stuff. Just I thought there is worth to try if you like raunchy note.

Stella and L'Artisan Voleur de Rose were what first came to my mind also. The bath line in Stella is marvelous!

Another possibility is Cabaret by Gres.

Une Folie de Rose (sp?), Opone and Czech & Speake's Dark Rose are my recommendations. Also, Parfum Sacre (rose with pepper and incense.)

I like my Stella edp sprayed over a squirt or two of Kiehl's Musk. Ooooh!

Black Oud.
    JHAG Citizen Queen

Jubilation 25 - rose and oakmoss and tarragon and incense and labdanum. And patchouli. Has a definite sex-vibe underneath it all, although it may not be as rose prominent as you want.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more