Code of Conduct

Default Best blind buys?

Blind buying is risky but also thrilling. I've made some of my finest purchases without sniffing first. I've been lucky since there have been more hits than misses!

Here's my best blind buys list:
    Yohji (the most remarkable one since it's my all-time favourite fragrance!)
    Arabie
    Folavril
    Bandit
    Cabochard
    A Fleur de Peau
    CdG White, Calamus, Tea, Carnation, Sequoia, Zagorsk (when I started to collect CdG scents no samples were available)

What does your list look like?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Best blind buys?

Great subject, Tigs! Here's a list of my most beloved blind buys:

Yerbamate (a huge favorite)
    Ivoire
    Hiris (mmmmm)
    Parure
    Nude
    Pink Sugar (double mmmmm)
    Eau des Merveilles
    Dinner by Bobo
    Ecusson (original)
    Y
    Cielenga

There are probably more, but these frags are dearest to my heart from a blind buy standpoint
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Ladylonestar

Long list of winners:

Cialenga (thanks to Mgarisbn, of course :-*)
    Vent Vert
    Heure Exquise
    Nude
    Serendipitous
    Eau des Merveilles
    Kingdom Limited Edition (thanks to Serpent :-*)
    Penhaligon's Love Potion #9
    Agent Provocateur
    Yatagan
    Nuit de Noel
    Wrappings
    Fath de Fath
    Odalisque (from LLP)
    Crepe de Chine LLP
    Golden Autumn LLP
    Tuvache Tuvara LLP
    Aqua Allegoria Foliflora
    Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella
    Casmir
    Mira Bai
    Feminite du Bois
    Donna Karan New York (original)
    Molinard Les Senteurs Ambre
    Brandy
    Habanita
    Rykiel Woman (not fabulous, but not really disappointing either)

Edited to add Habanita!

MJH

This could take all night, and prove highly embarrassing!
    Virtually my entire collection has been bought unsniffed, "on a wing and a prayer", "a lucky gamble"....... :-[

ƒgo•ste
    Wrappings
    Aromatics Elixir
    Jules
    Ambre Extrme
    Passage d'Enfer
    Tea for Two
    Voleur de Roses
    Alpona
    Yatagan
    Cacharel pour l'Homme
    Sandringham
    Marquis
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Royal Bain de Champagne
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Poivre
    Black Cashmere
    Bandit
    Opium Pour Homme
    AngŽlique Encens
    Bois du Portugal
    Baie de Genivre
    Cuiron
    Eau de Campagne
    Jicky
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Knize Ten

Only Cuiron, Aromatics Elixir and Wrappings were bought locally (the only ones on the list even available for sale locally) and there were no testers available to help me make my decision.

I bought Goutals eau d'Hadrien, Vetiver and Sables
    blind. ÊAlso MPG's Fraiche Badiane and Centaure
    They were the best fragrances of my collection.
    In fact the Goutals were the only ones I finished till the last drop.

The worst blind purchase was also the most expensive one. It was Creed's OV. I was a bit dissapointed with that purchase. :-/

Wow, I'm impressed by your lists! Thanks for sharing!

I know you shouldn't buy blind but nothing quite beats the thrill you get when you open the box, spray (or dab) on the scent you've never smelled but just have an idea of and then you find it's just like you imagined it to be or even better...

~ L'Anarchiste
    ~ Bois du Portugal
    ~ Inis: Energy of the Sea
    ~ Ungaro III
    ~ Yang
    ~ MillŽsime ImpŽrial
    ~ Erolfa

Two that come to mind (i know i have many more) right away are Tabac Blond Extrait and Amouage Silver -- both are astounding fragrances.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I admit being very careful about buying blind,too many horrors,even some I tested first.

Crown Eau de Russie,read the notes knew I would like it and it was £2.99!!!! Went back and bought another.

Ambre Sultan I just knew I would love it,I did.

Narcisse Noir parfum,I did smell the edt but was unsure about the fragrance. Got a deal on the parfum and jumped and yes it was wonderful.
    DONNA

I confess I'm not a blind-buying sort of gal. The thrill generally does not out-weigh the cost for me anymore. I've had too many horrible mistakes. I'll buy pricey samples before I buy a pricey whole bottle. Of the ones I have blind-bought, I've had only two lucky winners:

Dunhill Desire
    Bois des Iles (the mini parfum off of ebay.)

(Am I way too serious and no fun? ???)
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I have to admit, I have bought a lot unsniffed, and luckily only a handful just weren't really me (though not bad at all). My favorites bought unsniffed:

Caron Parfum SacrŽ
    Caron Nuit de Noel
    Molinard Fleur de Figuier
    Molinard Vanille
    Balenciaga Talisman
    Rochas Femme
    Rochas Tocade
    Chopard Mira-bai
    Chopard Casmir
    Yves Rocher Ode a l'Amour
    Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Lilas
    Marilyn Miglin Goddess
    Marilyn Miglin Destiny
    Marilyn Miglin Ancient Waters
    Tocca Eau de Touch

Luckily, I have gotten out of that habit. It's dangerous because your collection gets big, very quickly. The new Keiko Mecheri scents look very tantalizing though and luscious cargo is having free shipping...hmmmmmm ;D If I give in though it will be Loukhoum which I have tested and love.

MJH

"Now you swear and kick and beg us
    That you're not a gambling man
    Then you find you're back in Vegas
    With a handle in your hand..."

You see, I am a gambling man!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Nah, but I think it makes a big difference being able to sample scents locally. I should correct that: I think it makes a big difference knowing you can sample scents locally. If I wanted to sample a Creed, for example, I'd have to either order samples on-line, or drive several hundred miles to a city where they're sold. Many newer releases make it to our (one) Saks here in Cincinnati, but I have to decide whether I feel like dealing with the very...assertive... sales associates who work there.

On the other hand, I've bought lots of scents because of reviews by fellow members, or because of samples I've received from on-line friends. I think my gambling has paid off very well, but I also know I really do take notice of what other people have to say about a fragrance.

Ladylonestar

(Am I way too serious and no fun? Ê ???)
    No. You're very wise. :-*

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    "Now you swear and kick and beg us
    That you're not a gambling man
    Then you find you're back in Vegas
    With a handle in your hand..."

You see, I am a gambling man!
    "You go back, Jack
    Do it again
    Wheel's turnin' round and round..."

I confess I'm not a blind-buying sort of gal.

Nah, dear Key you're just sensible.

I wish I was but then I wouldn't be me, I'm afraid. :-[
    Thank heavens I have my sensible moments occasionally! (HUGE bills usually do the trick : )

My first blind purchase was a huge success: Carthusia Mediterraneo. After that, I had several very bad experiences and I gave up the practice! I'd rather swap for a sample first.

Pi - purchased based on reviews and the bottle - very satisfied.

JHL - bought this one based on reviews that it was the male version of Cinnabar, which is one of my absolute favorite women's perfumes.

Rocabar - based on many women in the office drooling over the cologne "that guy was wearing" - very satisfied with this one.

Polo Sport - not so happy with this one. Bought based on reviews and my 80's experience with the original Polo. Never wear it but I keep it because I like the bottle.

One Man Show - PENDING - planning to order this one based on reviews from this site. It's cheap, $14 for a 3.3 oz bottle.

Ambre Sultan
    A la Nuit
    Un bois Vanille
    Hiroko Koshino
    Angelique Encens
    Ligea "La Sirena" ( actually a swap, but nevertheless :-) )

A big fat bottle of L'Eau de L'Artisan just Yesterday actually. What an amazing citrus and very unisex. ÊA highly unusaul ebay deal made the stunt all the more attractive, Êshould've snatched the Voleur de Rose as well to beef up my supply, but opted for a coin toss to settle the inner turmoil. Ê It was meant to be.

Previous successes:

Arabie (I was speechless)
    Ambre Precieux (let it never go away)
    CdG Mint (Perfect)

John Ê

best blind buy: Un Bois Vanille Serge Lutens, i was like mmmmmoaning for the whole day! :P

worst blind buy: L 'Heure Bleue parfum extrait, expensive poor lasting power specially when compared to Ambre Sultan, dissapointing powdery notes. >

I had one anwesome experience with purchasing MI blind! I had a mediocre expereince with Paul Smith Extreme. The rest were aweful expereiences as most of my purchases I have smelled at least from a card if not a sample.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra10
    Ambre Precieux (let it never go away)
    I'm with you, Cobra 10. Fabulous stuff!

CdG2
    Odeur 53
    Gendarme

Love is blind. ;D

Love this question, so I hope you don't mind my reviving the topic!

Two that occur to me offhand are Chergui and Parfum de Therese. The very limited availalibility in these cases was the obvious cause.

I'm going to give this a lot more thought. Generally speaking, though, it seems as if my blind mistakes have mostly been deals I couldn't resist on Scentiments or another etailer. Some deals, when I ended up being indifferent at best! If only I could undo so many of those impulse purchases in the $20 to $30 range! It seems as if blind buys at the highend were much more successful.

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by grau
    I love updating older threads!

Generally speaking, though, it seems as if my blind mistakes have mostly been deals I couldn't resist on Scentiments or another etailer. Some deals, when I ended up being indifferent at best! If only I could undo so many of those impulse purchases in the $20 to $30 range! It seems as if blind buys at the highend were much more successful.
    I always remember people's posts about picking up Antaeus or Metallica at TJMaxx and thinking, "No way!!", but I find I've lucked out a lot, too. In a way, I think many of us have (consciously or unconsciously) absorbed lots of "clues" or hints that point us in the right direction. I'll certainly make an effort to at least sample any Guerlain, Caron, Chanel, Patou or Balmain that comes my way. And simply knowing the 'Nose' behind the scent is a terrific indicator: I chose Tiffany for Men and Ungaro Pour l'Homme after learning they were created by Jacques Polge.

I sure don't mind! [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=wink.gif]

Blind buying can be so thrilling! My most recent brilliant blind buy is Etro Vetiver.

Here's the story:
    I got a postcard from Les Senteurs, London. They announced their sale. Engraved Etro bottles on special price. Now I had most of the Etros I wanted but since I wanted to explore further layering them I though "OK, I don't get along with vetiver scents but it isn't bad as a note if it's blended well so I can always layer it with other Etros or if I hate it, I can swap it."

So I ordered my Vetiver. Got it. Gave it a go. And fell head over heels in love with it! [smiley=kiss.gif]

And it didn't end there, I was so impressed with Etro Vetiver I went on to try every other vetiver scent I could get my furry paws on and found several other new loves on the way... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

[red]Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours
    4 Reines EDP (L’Occitane)
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
    Cacharel Pour Homme
    Comme des Garçons 3
    Eau des Vanilliers (L’Occitane)
    Eaux de Caron Fraîche
    Etiquette Bleue EDT
    Habit Rouge EDP
    Ho Hang
    Léonard Pour Homme
    Live Jazz
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Lolita Lempicka au Macsculin
    Poivre Piquant (L’Artisan)
    Rose (Czech & Speake)[/red]

I am very fortunate. The list would be much, much longer with more hits but also a lot more misses were it not for the generosity and thoughtfulness of some fellow Basenoters and the general availability, nowadays, of samples online.

I also have a tendency to buy samples by the bucket full, which mitigates against any tendency to buy blind. On the whole though, I would say I don't buy blind a lot because of the above factors. I really screen my fragrances before I let them into my home, let alone my wardrobe. [smiley=smiley.gif]

I think if I didn't have the abovementioned opportunities I would be more promiscuous, fragrance-wise, or I'd be in debtor's prison (if there were still such a thing) for buying blind. Sampling assuages the inordinate desire I have to continually try new scents. I think in the last year, I may well have sampled over 1,000 scents.
    [smiley=shocked.gif]

[blue]Hi, my name's scentemental, and I am a scentaholic.[/blue]
    [smiley=beer.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    *And simply knowing the 'Nose' behind the scent is a terrific indicator: I chose Tiffany for Men and Ungaro Pour l'Homme after learning they were created by Jacques Polge. *
    I'm entirely in agreement with this. Education has made blind buys much less of a hit or miss proposition. I can even extend it to houses that work for me so I can take a chance (Etro, Crown, for example) and houses where I need to know more before I take the plunge. And one more thing--there are houses such as Dior and Patou where I'm bound to like the classic scents, but the new ones leave me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

I though "OK, I don't get along with vetiver scents but it isn't bad as a note if it's blended well so I can always layer it with other Etros or if I hate it, I can swap it."

So I ordered my Vetiver. Got it. Gave it a go. And fell head over heels in love with it! *

And it didn't end there, I was so impressed with Etro Vetiver I went on to try every other vetiver scent I could get my furry paws on and found several other new loves on the way...

Of course I've noticed your posting about your Vetiver loves lately and you've inspired me to be more systematic about trying vetiver scents. *At this point my favorites are probably Guerlain (the OLD version, of course--how could they?!) and Annick Goutal. *I'm wondering if you've tried the Attar Bazaar Sumatra Vetiver; I find that one about equally repellant and compelling. *Smells just about exactly like an ashtray. *Wonderful and horrible.

Of course I've noticed your posting about your Vetiver loves lately and you've inspired me to be more systematic about trying vetiver scents. At this point my favorites are probably Guerlain (the OLD version, of course--how could they?!) and Annick Goutal. I'm wondering if you've tried the Attar Bazaar Sumatra Vetiver; I find that one about equally repellant and compelling. Smells just about exactly like an ashtray. Wonderful and horrible.
    Grau, I absolutely adore Annick Goutal Vétiver! It's one of my greatest vetiver loves. [smiley=kiss.gif]

Have only tried the new Guerlain and don't like it at all, the vintage one might be another story, though.

Attar Bazaar sounds fascinating! I'm always curious about "the ashtray scents"! [smiley=grin.gif]

You absolutely must try the original Guerlain Vetiver; I'd be glad to sample you with it. And if I can find my Attar Bazaar sample, I'd be glad to pass it along (although that may have gone west already). I'm glad of this thread, as I really need to stockpile at least one bottle of the classic Guerlain and I think it's already become hard to get.

Grau, have you tried Carven Vétiver? It's a very nice "basic" classic & elegant workhorse of a vetiver, perfect for the office.

But speaking of blind buys: paying attention to notes & Noses usually keeps me out of trouble! [smiley=grin.gif]

Best bought blind? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Amazing Grace
    Pure Grace
    Trish McEvoy #9 Blackberry Vanilla Musk
    China Rain, China Lily and China Musk by TerraNova
    Coco (Chanel)
    Carriere (Gendarme)
    Eau de Camille (Goutal)
    Fracas (Robert Piguet)
    Floret & Antonia's Flowers (by Antonias Flowers)
    Gardenia (Chanel)
    Trish McEvoy #6 Gardenia Musk
    Habanita
    Helmut Lang
    Jaipur
    L'Eau d'Issey
    Lily (Chanel)
    AA Lillia Bella
    Maybe Baby
    Crown Malabar
    Crown Rose
    Mure et Musc (L'Artisan)
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Pleasures Extreme
    Creed Spring Flower
    Creed Fleur de the Rose Bulgare
    Sabi (Henry Dunay)
    Tatiana
    White Linen
    Zita (Paula Dorf)
    Zinnia (Floris)
    China Rose (Floris)

Honestly...I don't think I buy too much unsniffed! And I did a skydive too! You'd think I'd be more daring...

My BEST was Angelique Encens...Lady L and I split a bottle.
    Fleur de Shanghai Opium.....(not too risky there!)
    I bought Fracas parfum but the jury's not in yet.

Best : Body Kouros by YSL [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Worst : Caron PuH. I am glad that I got rid of that pungent bat piss. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

CHARDKAY!
    I am SO impressed. Did you buy most from their descriptions...other people's recommendations or descriptions....??? That's a lot of chance taking there...just wondered how you came to purchase most of them.