Code of Conduct
    Ladylonestar

Default Peddling Fragrances From Cars?

Has anyone ever seen someone selling fragrances from the trunk of their car?

I was at an auto dealership on Saturday, looking at new cars. I walked outside to wait for the sales rep to bring a vehicle around for me to test drive when I spotted a large crowd gathered behind another vehicle's open trunk. I was naturally curious, but more than that I was afraid it might be puppies or kittens in this hot trunk and I was prepared to dial the authorities or humane society to come to the rescue, so I walked over to have a look... and lo and behold! It was a trunk full of fragrances!

The boxes containing the fragrances were quite beaten and battered and had various odd-looking stickers on them, but I picked one up to take a look at it -- Aqua di Gio for women -- and it had some weird distributor name on the back though I didn't get a good read. People, of course, were very interested but were concerned that the fragrances might not be the real deal. Anyway... as I was about to remove the bottle from the box to try to read the bottom of it, the security guard came out and told the young man peddling the fragrances that he needed to leave the premises ASAP. So the young man snatched the bottle from me and said, "Gotta run," and I went off to test-drive a utility vehicle. I was definitely NOT going to buy anything but I was disappointed that I couldn't get a good read on these boxes or fragrances.

Whatcha think of this?

Default Re: Peddling Fragrances From Cars?

Smells fishy to me...MHO of course.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Most likely stolen merchandise.

Some time ago a complete stranger offered me three fur coats, I believe it was at 150 euro a piece. The coats were wrapped in clear plastic, he had them in the back of his minivan. The man told me he hadn't made his delivery on time, so he had to sell the items cheap. Don't know about the US, but here in old Youuropa that can only mean one thing: those coats were stolen.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Whatcha think of this?
    Loney!! What are we gonna do with you?? [smiley=shocked.gif]

Haven't you ever received this Internet warning?:
    PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS!!!

I was approached yesterday afternoon around 3:30pm in the Wal-Mart parking lot at Forest Drive, by two males, asking what kind of perfume I was wearing. Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous scent they were willing to sell me at a very reasonable rate. I probably would have agreed had I not received an email some weeks ago, warning of a "wanna smell this neat perfume?" scam.

The men continued to stand between parked cars, I guess to wait for someone else to hit on. I stopped a lady going towards them, pointed at them, and told her about how I was sent an e-mail at work about someone walking up to you at the malls or in parking lots, and asking you to SNIFF PERFUME that they are selling at a cheap price.

THIS IS NOT PERFUME - IT IS ETHER!

When you sniff it, you'll pass out. And they'll take your wallet, your valuables, and heaven knows what else. If it were not for this e-mail, I probably would have sniffed the "perfume". But thanks to the generosity of an emailing friend, I was spared whatever might have happened to me. I wanted to do the same for you.

PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS, AND PLEASE BE ALERT, AND AWARE!!
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/perfume.asp

Seriously, if I weren't worried about being overcome with ether, I'd be worried that:
    a. the fragrances are probably "hot" (stolen).
    b. the fragrances are literally "hot" (cooked in the trunk of the car).

Next time you're curious enough to check out perfumes being sold from a car trunk, please be extra careful. Maybe carry a bottle of Aromatics Elixir, so you can overpower them, instead? [smiley=wink.gif]

Ladylonestar

[smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Yep, Mark! I'm that stupid! I'm going to walk over to a strange car all by me lonesome... Well, this guy would have had a field day robbing everyone at the car dealership. There must have been 20 people, customers and/or sales reps already at the open trunk when I got there. Plus the security guard storming out to run the kid off. Like I said, I was afraid it was baby animals -- puppies or kittens -- who needed rescuing. When I saw it was fragrance, I wanted to get a good look at the bottles and boxes so I scooched my way in. I figured they were fakes or, as you said, stolen. Just before the kid snatched the AdG from my hands, he had a bottle of men's Candies he was recommending to a man, so I really don't think this guy was the "ether bandit."

Thanks for looking out for me! Heaven knows, I need all the help I can get. [smiley=kiss.gif]

Thanks for the heads up Mark. This scam is news to me. Fortunately and/or unfortunately, I am skeptical of everyone and everything that crosses my path. Like Laura, only in a crowd would I venture over to someone's car for a peek. But, it would be my luck that it would be a trunk full of kittens, and I would be toting home a brand new family to feed along with the hoard I already have. Best to just keep my blinders on when I go out but staying alert for the wolves in sheep's clothing. So sad! [smiley=cry.gif]

Explorator Dumpsterorum

heh. *I'll bet there is more larceny going on inside the dealership than out... *[smiley=rolleyes.gif]

.....Well, this guy would have had a field day robbing everyone at the car dealership.
    Hm. *I think most people visit the car dealership expecting to be robbed?! *[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

......Just before the kid snatched the AdG from my hands, he had a bottle of men's Candies he was recommending to a man, so I really don't think this guy was the "ether bandit."...... *
    I sniffed Candie's Men once at T.J. Maxx. Actually, I prefer the ether. [smiley=wink.gif]

Sorry but the 'Smell this perfume myth has been doing the web rounds of a few years now.

If ether was that good they would still use it in operations and would not have to inject you. One sniff in the open air and you are out. YES!!! NO!!! When ether was used they put it on cotton wood and pressed onto your mouth and nose to knock you out. It did not happen straight away,despite what the movies show. So spraying into the ozone will not knock you out. All hail the urban myth.

The usual story is they want to rape the women they approach.
    DONNA

ETHER?

That all sounds like an urban myth. I used to date a girl who was incredibly stupid and gullible. She always forwards the most annoying e-mails to me. The BS story about the Mrs. Fields cookie recipe....the picture of that person getting lifted out of the ocean by helicopter right as a shark is jumping out of the water, chomping at his feet...The worst thing is, she's always like five years behind on all the myths too, which is annoying as all hell. But she's just a whole other subject... [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Who are these people who start these myths? I remember in fifth grade, when the all the girls had to go watch "the film", about puberty, how we guys felt so left out of it. So to put a little fun into it, being the little prankster I was, I told some of the guys that , "yes, guys DO have their own periods, only TWICE a month, and out of the alimentary organ, and they alternate in color, red and green..." All the misinformation I could give out I did. And by the end of the week, ALL the other boys in my class were talking about all the horrible things that were going to happen to their bodies in due time. Of course, they asked some adults and discovered that I had been screwing with them, and beat me up, but it was worth it.

So what does that story have to do with anything? Nothing I guess.

But back OT, I've seen people who sell FAKE scents out of cars, but they don't come in the real bottles. They come in standard generic bottles, along with the b.s. story that "I work for Calvin Klein, and was just at a convention and have to get rid of these as part of some promotional thing, or something, and the reason they come in THESE bottles is because it we get the cologne from Calvin Klein and bottle it ourselves to save you money"

Because, yes, Calvin Klein wants everyone to buy his products as cheaply as possible.

Also, I look through their products and also find knock-offs of Hugo and Polo Sport. So why is a CK "rep" selling these competitors as well?

I bet they're knock-offs, just like all the "designer perfumes" you see all over New York's Canal Street, right next to the fake Birkin and Louis Vuitton bags.

Oh, look, only ten dollars for Eternity! Yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy

*All the misinformation I could give out I did. *
    Bad Boy [smiley=grin.gif] Very funny!
    - Lao Tzu

- Lao Tzu

Before God, I do despise those urban legends! Especially the ones I call Lifetime Legends (Lifetime, for those not familiar, being a television network famous for showing woman-in-danger movies)

Every time a Lifetime-Legend surfaces I get bombarded with e-mails from nervous, none-too-bright relatives just trying to protect a Delicate, Helpless Young Lady! (That would be me. It gets old very, very fast) *[smiley=angry.gif]

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by MizLiz
    Oh, look, only ten dollars for Eternity! Yeah, right.
    That's right!! Why spend ten bucks on a scent from someone's trunk when you can get a real fragrance for ten bucks at TJMaxx......and all the ambience that goes with it......... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Who are these people who start these myths?
    Well, right now, it looks like I'm one of those people.[smiley=shocked.gif]
    LadyL really did come across someone selling fragrances from the trunk of their car, and they don't sound like ether-wielding white-slavers, either. She was really hoping to rescue the puppies/kittens she imagined. [smiley=kiss.gif]

Before God, I do despise those urban legends! Especially the ones I call Lifetime Legends (Lifetime, for those not familiar, being a television network famous for showing woman-in-danger movies)

*[smiley=angry.gif]
    "Lifetime Legends"LOL!

I could just see a Made-for-TV movie of this urban legend: Here's what TV guide might have to say...

"Stolen Eternity- Suffocated by Obsession";(Lifetime Network; 2005, 120 mins.); Stars Melissa Gilbert, Treat Williams, Robert Davi, and one of the lesser Baldwin Brothers,( the fat blond one, sure why not), and Jim J. Bullock.

"Stolen Eternity:Suffocated by Obsession" is the story of a woman, Catherine (Gilbert), who is victimized and brutalized, when she is accosted and drugged by two men (Davi, Baldwin) posing as transient perfume sellers, known to authorities as the "Giorgio Brothers". These two criminals lure women to their car to smell perfume, but instead use ether to drug the women and kidnap them. Treat Williams, plays her dilligent husband, Clay, who in a last ditch effort to find his wife, enlists the help of perfume expert, Eugene la Fey (Bullock) to help sniff for clues.

The sad thing is this sounds like the kind of movie my dad would be watching at home in his recliner after dinner.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Well, right now, it looks like I'm one of those people.[smiley=shocked.gif]
    Ah, shucks, Mark! We all know you wouldn't start an urban myth. [smiley=kiss.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    LadyL really did come across someone selling fragrances from the trunk of their car, and they don't sound like ether-wielding white-slavers, either. *She was really hoping to rescue the puppies/kittens she imagined. *[smiley=kiss.gif]
    Gosh, hasn't anyone ever seen these people who load up their trunks with kittens or puppies and drive around trying to sell them? Yep, Sheriff Ladylonestar to the rescue! I've nothing against people selling puppies and kittens, of course, but NOT toting them around in the trunk of a car! Poor little things -- no food, water, air, potties... Grrr! [smiley=angry.gif]

But... back on topic now... I wasn't wearing my specs, just my sunglasses, but the box I was holding said something like "Distributed by World...." and that's all I could make out. Which is why I was trying to get the bottle out of the box when Bandit Boy so rudely snatched it from me! I didn't know if these were just really good deals or really fake or really hot. But I SWEAR I was not going to buy perfume from someone's trunk! Heck, I won't even buy from Wal*Mart or CVS when the perfumes are lined up, hanging on hooks, in those super-sealed impossible-to-open-without-a-crowbar plastic what-evers. I like a good deal, as long as it's the real deal. [smiley=cool.gif]

OMW! Ether? I doubt it for some reason. Just a sleezy guy with some knockoffs or something...low life.

I had a similar experience once, too.

A few years back, I was in a (now-closed) bookstore and some guy came up with a backpack full of fragrances. He said that he just came back from a fragrance convention and had excess inventory.

First, he tried to push a copy of Polo Sport on me. It didn't smell one bit like Polo Sport, but he insisted that it was the real deal, just in a different bottle. He even went as far as to say that it came from DuPont and that DuPont makes 60% of the frags in the world (which I didn't believe). He said that "his" Polo Sport was in a 3.3 oz bottle for $30, while a real bottle of Polo Sport sold for $50 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Then, he tried to push a really bad dupe of Nautica's Latitude Longitude, a scent that had only been on the market for around 6 months at the time. Same drivel. I also saw some ripoffs of White Diamonds (!) and Opium in his bag, but he was only pushing the men's stuff.

Finally, I asked "May I see the packaging?" He said "sure". I saw that it was produced by some knockoff fragrance manufacturer. Shortly afterwards, the bookstore's owner told him that he was soliciting on her property and told him to get out. He reluctantly agreed.

Now, here's an unusual twist: As soon as I got home, I logged onto Polo.com and found out that Polo Sport doesn't even come in 1.7 oz bottles, only 2.5 and 4.2 oz bottles. (The price of the 2.5 oz bottle at the time was $42.)

So, it's not just the girls who've been affected by this.

And no, the smellies weren't ether. [smiley=laugh.gif]
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Before God, I do despise those urban legends!
    it is this type of cruel scepticism that makes me reluctant to tell people about the time i was abducted by aliens (and, yes, they did wear fragrance).

AZTEC

I wonder if this guy selling the scents has a contraband of watches, too. People like him always bring to mind the flasher on the corner wearing a trenchcoat, waiting for their next naive victim. [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West