Code of Conduct

Default Ormonde Jayne (mini-reviews)

I visited the Ormonde Jayne perfumery in London this winter and was so impressed with this line I ordered the all the samples.
    I first of all fell in love with Ta'if, a wonderful spicy rose perfume accompanied with desert aromas.
    I just couldn't think about this one and I must say that after receiving the samples my love for it just grows!

Here are some short and sweet reviews of the whole line.
    I will be writing more detailed reviews soon - but really wanted to share these with you now when I am all excited about them.

Ta'if:
    Desert roses surrounded by dry dates and spicy saffron.
    It is sensual yet subtle, captivating and refined.
    The drydown is powdery-vanilla, and surprisingly reminiscent of Tocade!
    It can be an interesting and refreshing alternative for Parfum Sacre in that it is a sexy, spicy-powdery rose with a sweet base.
    It simply makes me feel special when I wear it - as Parfum Sacre does to me.
    Harmonious and balanced, like a desert wind approaching the sea at sunset. This perfume gives a feeling of golden rays gently touching your face just before the sun goes down, with wind kissing it with dusty spices.

Top notes: Orange blossom, pink peer, saffron, dates, white peach
    Heart notes: Ta‚if roses, freesia, lily of the valley, jasmine
    Base notes: Amber, Tonka Bean, Musk, Vanilla Absolute

Champaca:
    The exotic, tea-like champaca notes remain true to the original throughout the composition. Accompanied by basmati rice, the champaca-basmati-tea accord is prominent throughout the fragrance evolution.
    It starts off with a hint of fruity citrus freshness that is backed up strongly by the champaca and basmati notes. These are warm, enveloping and comforting (just like a bowl of whole-grain basmati rice in a beautiful and fragrant Zen-inspired restaurant).
    It is a gourmand scent (the basmati and green tea notes are very apparent!), but in a sophisticated way which makes it smell actually woody. It reminds one of the beauty of mundane aromatics and pours a different light on them...

Top notes: Neroli, Pink Pepper, Bamboo
    Heart notes: Champaca, Freesia absolute, Basmati Rice
    Base notes: Myrrh, Green Tea, Musk

Ormonde:
    This is quite a surprise. It starts off with a foresty black hemlock note (which is also apparent in the masculine version of the scent). However, this is no usual woody scent. In fact, it is a mysterious and subtle violet scent!
    The violets here are very dark, as if hidden in the shades of the forest. The final drydown is quite sweet - almost like an oriental.
    An interesting and versatile fragrance that can be very individual when it finds its match!

Top notes: Cardamom, Coriander, Grass Oil
    Heart notes: Black Hemlock, Violet, Jasmine Absolute
    Base notes: Vetiver, Cedar Wood, Amber, Sandalwood

Tolu:
    Rich, deep, resinous ambery scent.
    Starts with an extreme dominance of Tolu (which at first may make you think there is nothing else there). To those who are not familiar with the scent - it is a dark, thick balsam that smells like a combination of vanilla, cinnamon and cloves. It is very warm and sweet, and thicker than molasses!
    The tolu is accompanied by some herbal notes that are very subtle (the notes state juniper), and than transforms into a total-ambery experience, honeyed with broom at full bloom - yellow, luscious and sweet to the last breath.
    It is perhaps one of the more pleasant amber perfumes I ever smelled - without being boring, overly sweet or overwhelming (=nauseous). May be a good alternative for those who find Ambre Sultan too masculine. However, I did find it a bit linear after the initial top notes have faded away. My most favourite part of it was the broom-like top notes which reminded me of a certain broom-related thorny bush that blooms in spring and intoxicates the air with it‚s heady and narcotic and slightly honeyed fragrance.

Top notes: Juniper Berry, Orange Blossom, Clary Sage, Broom
    Heart notes: Orchid, Moroccan Rose, Muguet
    Base: Tolu Balsam, Tonka Bean, Golden Frankincense, Amber

Frangipani:
    A light and much less creamy interpretation of the magical tropical paradise flower.
    Starts with a breath of citrus and with linden blossom which quickly gives away to the green-waxy scent of the pure frangipani absolute. It does have some hints of the fresh flower - but they are quite subtle.
    There are some water lilies at the heart which makes it light and modern as well as jasmine which adds some richness and depth - but it never quite gets very creamy. It is rather a light and quite heady floral - but the type of heady floral that those who are scared of heady florals will like or at least be able to tolerate (like me...).
    Definitely worth a try!
    I think it will be especially great for the summer - a light floral that is interesting and not cloying.

Top notes: Linden Blossom, Magnolia Flower, Lime Peel
    Heart notes: White Frangipani Absolute, Jasmine, Rose absolute, Tuberose absolute,
    Water Lily, Plum, Green Orchid oil
    Base notes: Camber, Musk, Cedar, French Vanilla absolute

Sampaquita:
    This exotic name is no more than the Philippine name for Jasmine Sambac. Here is it accompanied with lychee and grass oil top notes, which makes it sweet and almost cloying and backed up with patchouli the result is quite reminiscent of the hippie era...
    This opening accord (sambac, lychee, grass oil, patchouli) is actually quite pleasant on its own and is awfully familiar - however soon a superficial water lily note interferes and makes the scent somewhat irritating for me.
    Definitely an interesting scent to try - but I don't find myself reaching for the sample very often. Also, once I apply it I usually want to switch to something else pretty fast.
    I love the name of that perfume - it sound romantic, exotic, mysterious and sweet.

Top notes: Lychee, Grass Oil, Bergamot, Magnolia
    Heart notes: Sampaquita Absolute (Jasmine Sambac), Freesia, Muguet, Rose, Water Lily
    Base notes: Musk, Vetiver, Moss, Ambrette Seed, Pathchouli

Ormonde for Men:
    I haven't quite tried this for a very long period of time. It starts off coniferous - with the black hemlock as in Ormonde (for women), but than dries down to a tolu balsam base note or something similar to Dior Addict.
    I didn't find it particularly interesting - but I didn't give it enough chance. I will need to come back later and review it again.
    I tried it on my SO and it smelled very foresty and though pleasant it was not as original and interesting as the Ormonde for women.

Osmanthus:
    Definitely the most boring and insignificant of the collection.
    It is a citrus woody with hints of florals that are hard to detect. I cannot find the osmanthus notes there at all but than again it could be my body chemistry playing tricks on me.
    It is very similar to the Creeds in my opinion - something metallic in there. The base is woods with light musk.
    My favourite part of the perfume is the beginning Ųthough I wished the Pomelo note was more true to the real fruit. I found this one quite anemic in comparison to the rest of the Ormonde Jayne line.

Top notes: Pomelo, Davana, Pimento
    Heart notes: Osmanthus absolute, Water Lily, Jasmine Sambac
    Base notes: Cedar Wood, Labdanum Resin, Musk, Vetiver

Generally speaking - the line is interestingly balancing modern notes with exotic and sultry notes. I think this is an original concept and an interesting way to present the modern people with something that is magical and originates in nature (most of Ormonde Jayne's inspirations seem to be derived form nature in far away lands Ų except, perhaps, the Ormonde perfumes which can be easily associated with European or if you wish British landscapes Ų that‚s an interesting twist for the English violet!).

However, there are some synthetic notes in some of the perfumes that I find disturbing (especially in Sampaquita and Osmanthus).
    There is something similar in many of the dry down - a subtle sweetness, ambery-sweet-powdery. I love that! It is especially apparent in Ormonde and Ta‚if.

My favorite (nothing has changed since my visit to the store) is definitely Ta'if. I also like Champaca, Ormonde (for women), Frangipani and Tolu.
    Frangipani may need to be revisited in the summer Ų I think it will do better in a warm weather and maybe will capture me more by than.
    Osmanthus, Sampaquita and Ormonde for Men I am ambivalent about or not quite interested in.

Sincerely,

Ayala Sender

Default Re: Ormonde Jayne (mini-reviews)

Lovely reviews. I own the Ormonde and Tolu. Was undecided about the Champaca,I do like it up not sure enough to buy a full size.

I also get the violets in Ormonde though I know some do not.
    DONNA

Thanks for the reviews, Ayala! I have Ormonde and still want Champaca & Frangipani Absolute. Haven't tried the new ones yet, but have the samples waiting...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

I purchased a decant of Ormonde quite some time ago and received small vials of Osmanthus and Frangipani along with it. Sampled them all eagerly and quickly, found no magic, put them away. Later I returned to Ormonde and absolutely LOVED it and wondered why I dismissed it so quickly. I haven't resampled the Osmanthus or Frangipani, and I still haven't sampled the men's Ormonde.

From the notes and description, I was certain that Tolu would be my favorite. I absolutely swoon when I first spray it, it's so gorgeous! The drydown, however, bears no resemblance whatsoever to the opening -- though *nice*, a very vague amber, a very shallow scent are all that remain on my skin -- and I want more of that magnificent beginning!

Sampaquita is another that I love the opening but struggle with the drydown. I completely agree with everything you said about it! It moves from very lovely and familiar to very annoying or irritating for me.

Champaca, on the other hand, is quite scary on opening. To me there's a preponderance of pink pepper and peppery freesia when first sprayed and it teeters on the edge of a very "poisonous" aroma -- as in ant and roach aerosol poison. I know -- I hate to use that term and most especially with Ormonde Jayne, but it's the only poison I know and so I do get that on opening of Champaca. The drydown is nice but I still get the peppery notes... and that puzzling *poison*.

Ta'if is more "me". I love this one. I see where you pick up the resemblance to Tocade, yet on me where Tocade becomes too much, Ta'if is perfect. What I find in Ta'if through its development are L'Or, Omnia, and Sonia Rykiel, in that order. My favorite so far, along with Ormonde.

Thank you for these reviews, Ayala. I enjoyed them very much.

Thanks for the lovely reviews.

I was wearing Ta'if yesterday, I smelled tea:-) rose, the more bloomed one, some wood notes and the green sth. Maybe it's the broom? Anybody knows how brrom smells like?

There is a balsamic, sweet, milky sth there. I don;t think it is spicy on me, but rather florally sweet, and delicate, rosey.
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

Great reviews and I agree that it's so wonderful when you find something to be truly excited about.

Perfumehound let me try her samples, but I really feel I'll need to get my own at some point and give them all another round.

First of all, I think they are all beautifully crafted with a high level of creative flair. The one that spoke to me above all the others was the Ormonde for men though! I thought this was just a fabulous creation and I couldn't get enough of it. Only the final, final dryout seemed to be a bit more ordinary and more like other men's perfumes. All through the heart it just sang and sang to me though. Like I said, I need to try it again to make sure.

(So many perfumes, so few body parts to adorn them with.)
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    i
    (So many perfumes, so few body parts to adorn them with.)
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's a new one! Thanks, Key! ;D

(I must, I must, I must try Ormonde for men soon)

"So many perfumes, so few body parts to adorn them with"
    - That should be one of my new mottos.
    I feel that life is too short for wearing and fully enjoying all the perfumes that I love. I feel that I need to spend a lot of "quality time" with each of the ones that I do like, and than I miss the others...

Back to the Ormonde Jayne's perfumes -
    Broom is a bush from the same family as the peas and the beans. The flowers have the same shape, but they are tiny adn yellow. The bush is probably called broom becasue it can resemble the appearance of a witch's brromstick (and I won't be surprised if the branches can be used to make brooms either, but never checked into it too deeply).
    The scent of the fresh flowers is very sweet and honey like, but also with the wild spring flowers headiness. It is very beautiful. The absolute does not smell like the wild flowers at all - but is rather similar to honey absolute with propolis. It is a lot more medicinal and animal, and is a base to middle note.
    I do not detect any broom in Ta'if, although it is listed on the notes. I do smell fresh broom-like notes in the beginning of Tolu though, and this is my favourite thing about this fragrance.

Ta'if in my opinion is not very spicy, but rather like a combination of roses, spices, powedery and ambery notes. Different body chemistries will react differently (I know some get a lot of spices and some get less - very similarly to Parfum Sacre - I know some people who get only pepper form that one). On me both Ta'if and Parfum Sacre have a very kind and magical behaviour - they are soft, wram, enveloping, sensual, and with a lovely rosy-powdery-incensy-ambery dry down that to me is irresistible.
    As for the resemblence with Tocade - I think that once I have Ta'if I could easily eliminate Tocade from my wish list, as this one has what I love in the Tocade dry down but so many other things that I love much more and I feel that Ta'if is totally "ME" where as Tocade is just fun to wear on certainoccasions.

I should probably try the Ormonde for men another time and check it out more thoroughly. I was just so smitten with the Ormonde for women - it's originality and magical evolution just so impressed me that the other version for men just looked pale in comparison. I wonder what is it that could make it special. Will let you know once I do a more thorugh observation of that one.

I am surprised about the poisinous impression of Champaca, but I somewhat understand it - as I find it very very potent, and I need to use a light hand with this one. But, although I like it - it is not quite "me" as Ta'if is, so I am no hurry to repurchase. I think it is a very intresting concept - the rice is so dominant on me!

It's the same for me with the basmati note in Champaca, it really dominates the scent. Since I love the smell of basmati rice it's a very good thing! ;D

What great reviews!

btw Ayala -- I havent forgotten about the pictures you took for me -- I'll e using them -- it's just been a very busy year!

I really must try Ormonde for Men as well

Well, these posts only heighten the suspense. I ordered the samples on January 1, and have yet to receive them. Linda has been extremely nice and, as of this past Monday, is on the third try to get them here. This time going via box and tracking system. A complete mystery to us both.

Now I am really anxious to try these wonderful scents!

JAG ;D

Just wanted to pick up some of the thoughts in the above posts.

Firstly, I tried the original Ormondes (ie the range apart from the new ones Ta'if, O for Men and Sampaquita) in samples a while ago but found they did not do much for me and passed them on. I did discover that Frangiapani Absolu was absolutely loved by a friend and arranged to get a bottle for her as a gift - she still loves it to death!

Like Ladylonestar, it was only on second go that they started to really grow on me. I think with these scents you have to apply them and let them create a scent aura around you. They are too rich and complex, and frankly too strong, to sniff directly on your skin. You have to let them envelop you (and they do!) and soak in the sillage. These are very long lasting scents that develop over time revealing different facets of themselves.

I recently had the chance to try the new range, particularly Ta'if and O for Men and they have now quickly become two of my favourites. I purchased a bottle of O for Men and am now hankering after a bottle of Ta'if!

I think this is a unique and wonderful range and that these are scents you need to get to know over time and when you approach them like this, with patience and openess, they reveal their secrets to you and stay with you.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Loved reading your reviews! I'm very intrigued and hope to try them someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Santemon
    Like Ladylonestar, it was only on second go that they started to really grow on me. I think with these scents you have to apply them and let them create a scent aura around you. They are too rich and complex, and frankly too strong, to sniff directly on your skin. You have to let them envelop you (and they do!) and soak in the sillage. These are very long lasting scents that develop over time revealing different facets of themselves.

Sante.

Santemon,

You are right about pateince and needing to give time for the scent to evolve - it does create a wodnerful aura around you. I don't find them tto strong though - except for perhaps Shampaca and Tolu.

i fidn them long lasting but quite gentle and not overwhelming at all (though Champaca might be if applied to heavily...). Ta'if just has the perfect sillage and staying power and is really gentle, warm and enveloping. I really need to get this one immdeiatley!
    (It has to be a really special perfume for me to not be able to wait to get it; I fell in love with it from first sniff, and I couldn't get it off my mind until I got the sample; Now I am worried about finishing it too quickly before managing to get another bottle!).

I am trying to imagine how Ta'if will smell on a man. I think I will need to splash some on my boyfriend once I get the full bottle. For now I am keeping my sample only for very special occasions!

Basenotes,

I am glad you still have the photos and that you are going to use them - did I send you a photo of Vol de Nuit parfum? I can't remember if I did or not. If not, I will send you another one - drop me a line if you need any help. I may have more perfumes to add as well...

And on a completely different note - how was your wedding and honeymoon?
    Congratulations!

Ayala

Wow, thank you for the explaination, Ayala :-)
    How wonderful that you get "access" to all the oils.
    I am so jealous:-)
    (Oct. 3rd).

Quote Originally Posted by ayalasender
    "So many perfumes, so few body parts to adorn them with"
    - That should be one of my new mottos.
    I feel that life is too short for wearing and fully enjoying all the perfumes that I love. I feel that I need to spend a lot of "quality time" with each of the ones that I do like, and than I miss the others...
    Here-here! I agree wholeheartedly.

I often wonder what the great noses enjoy wearing when they are not creating. Do they have only one or two favorites that they are faithful to, or are their dressers and closets overflowing with boxes of perfumes they consider masterpieces?
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I am trying to imagine how Ta'if will smell on a man.
    Delicious:-)))
    (Oct. 3rd).

I am trying to imagine how Ta'if will smell on a man. I think I will need to splash some on my boyfriend once I get the full bottle. For now I am keeping my sample only for very special occasions!

Ayala
    How can I describe it for you? It starts of sweet with a dusting of spice then develops into sweet and dry at the same time - I get a pinch of saffron and pepper, the rose and dates and finally the amber/vanilla. I feel so good when I wear it, it makes me feel slightly Arabian - like I have just bathed in a rose petal bath and have been dried by a hot desert wind that has carried the scent of spices with it. The sweetness is never overbearing or sickly, but beautifully tempered by the other notes. You'll just have to spray a bit on your boyfriend to find out!

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Wonderful reviews, Ayala Loved the Tolu! I found this one was my favorite, while the Champaca and Frangipani both went flat and uninteresting on me. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. Climate seems to affect scent and my chemistry more than anything, so I'll definitely try them at a later date.

I have samples of Ormonde and Sampaquita. From its description, I'll just bet I'll love the latter. ;D
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Wow! I'd love to visit Ormonde Jayne. I really enjoyed trying the fragrances, even the ones that didn't work well for me (which, unfortunately, was most of them.)

Ormonde has practically become my signature scent, which was completely unexpected (I thought I wouldn't like it... black hemlock absolute and violets?!) Osmanthus was good, but not great and frangipani a bit too rich and creamy for my taste. I learned with Tolu that balsamic/resinous scents just aren't for me. Ta'if sounded great but on me was overwhelmingly powdery. I passed it on to a gentleman in Cincinnati, and Artisankey is trying the others.

FINALLY!!!  Took 2 1/2 months, but my samples finally arrived.  So far, there's not one I would turn away.  My word, they are gorgeous.  Sampaquita and Tolu seem to be heading the pack with Osmanthus and Ormonde placing close behind.  Ta'if dries down beautifully but loses a bit of its power on me; Frangipani is extremely creamy but still in the running.  The first trial run of Champaca didn't pack much punch but it is definitely wearable.  The real test is to wear each one individually.

Is there a site that carries these other than Ormonde Jayne?  With shipping and handling, one bottle can be quite costly and I'm not sure I can pick just one.

JAG :

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    FINALLY!!!  Took 2 1/2 months, but my samples finally arrived.
    Yay! Boy, that did take awhile! ???

The real test is to wear each one individually.
    I agree. Do be sure to test Ormonde again. I blew it off on first test only to fall in love with it later.

Is there a site that carries these other than Ormonde Jayne?  With shipping and handling, one bottle can be quite costly and I'm not sure I can pick just one.
    Can't help you with that info, but the Ormonde Jayne experts can! Fortunately, I bought a nice-sized decant on ebay that will last me awhile.