Code of Conduct

Default vintage Guerlains?

I just bought a new bottle of Jicky pure parfum since my current bottle is getting low, and bought Mitsouko blind after wondering about what other old Guerlain creations were like, and if they were as interesting as Jicky. ╩I've been reading up on other vintage Guerlains, especially Vol de nuit and L'Heure Bleue, and they both sound compelling and I think I'm going to get both of those in pafum strengh soon. ╩Jicky has chararcteristics of both antiquity and modernity, a quality about it I love, and I'm hoping these other Guerlains are equally intriguing and decadent. ╩Angelique Encens has the same feel, as well as many Serge Lutens - they feel as though they could have been around a century ago and will still be equally relevant a century from now. ╩Since I now have all the Serge Lutens I want I'm now thinking early Guerlains might be my next fascination. ╩But besides Jicky you never really see any other vintage ╩Guerlains mentioned around here... any fans of them out there?

Ladylonestar

Default Re: vintage Guerlains?

Quote Originally Posted by bwp
    But besides Jicky you never really see any other vintage ╩Guerlains mentioned around here... any fans of them out there?
    I'm not sure what you mean... just how *vintage*... because Guerlains get "mentioned" around here frequently -- Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, Apres l'Ondee, Mitsouko, Chamade, L'Heure Bleue, not to mention the newer releases like Jardins de Bagatelle, Shalimar Light, L'Instant... Perhaps you mean that you've searched and haven't found any in-depth discussions or specific threads on specific *vintage* Guerlains? ???

I'm thinking more of the guy's board when I say they don't seem to be mentioned much. And 'vintage' as in late 19th to early 20th century. Around the time of Jicky, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, etc. I didn't do a search of them because it's fun to get fresh opinions but I will do a search now!

Ladylonestar

╩I didn't do a search of them because it's fun to get fresh opinions...
    It sure is! And I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't either. I just didn't understand what you meant when you said they weren't *mentioned* around here. There may not be lengthy discussions, but there's lots of *mentioning*! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    There may not be lengthy discussions, but there's lots of *mentioning*! ;D
    Yeah, I want a lengthy discussion! C'mon, gimme the goods! ;D ;D

Ladylonestar

Here's something that might interest you, bwp. I pulled it from the "After all the pinks, what next?" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    EVERYTHING is cyclical.....real estate...fashion....stock market...Sooner or later...... it's gotta happen.

HEY! I have heard.... that Guerlain is opening 80 stores that will carry the classics. Don't tell anybody I told you that!

If they don't have the time and money to create magnificent masterpieces...by ALL means leave us with the classics back in the time that creators spared nothing to present something of lasting value.
    Of course, we can't tell anyone that Glorious One told us this. I wonder how many or which of their classics these stores will be carrying.

hmmm... just got a bottle of the Shalimar parfum for cheap on eBay.. and have Mitsouko coming, and am going to get Vol de Nuit and L'Heure Bleue as well. I've heard the parfums are much richer, deeper and maybe more suitable for a man than the edt or edps, and if Jicky is anything to go by then those hopefully will follow suit. I think I'm in a 'vintage' mindset lately - I'm also now interested in Chanel's Bois des Iles and find myself going back to Angeliques Encens, another very old-fashioned one. How I wish that was available in true parfum strength, THAT would be amazing! But luckily it lasts pretty long on me, I accidentally sprayed a jacket I was wearing with it once and it smelled strongly of it for at least 4 months! Also some Caron fragrances sound interesting.

Well if you like Jicky,which I do. Try Mouchoir de Monsieur it was created 1904,only in edt never a parfum. But it is called Jicky's little brother. Beautiful fragrance quite soft but hints at oriental woodyness.

Apres L'Ondee is a great hidden secret of Guerlain 1906,the parfum is discontinued but if you search it might pop on ebay. Trust me it is worth the hunt! The parfum has a feel of L'Heure Bleue. Hints of aniseed and of course the famous Guerlain heliotrope which is a theme in all their classics,apart from Mitsouko. I started with the edt which is lovely,but managed to get a 8ml of the parfum in a refill bottle. Not pretty ok,but it is the parfum that counts.

Vol de Nuit again I have the edt which is quite soft powdery but the parfum which I also have is more woody oriental.

Shalimar try to get the older version. The newer one is not the same.

Caron another great house to explore,they have never been taken over by a big company like poor Guerlain.

Alpona is a fruity chypre from 1937 and if you find you like Mitsouko you will love it.

Narcisse Noir is another to try.

Nuit de Noel.

I am not going into detail on the Carons,I will leave that for you to start another thread since this is a Guerlain one.
    DONNA

I love all Guerlain scents created by Jacques Guerlain: AprĆs l'OndÄe, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit (there are more, but these are still in production).

I also love Jicky (by AimÄ Guerlain, Jacques's uncle).

Jacques Guerlain's scents (apart from Mitsouko which is very different from the others) are powdery and have an ethereal, melancholy quality, they are very beautiful, romantic and nostalgic perfumes.

If you search for "Caron" you'll find many threads!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

thanks for all the feedback! What is the difference between vintage and newer Shalimar, and how can you tell what is vintage and what is new? is the parfum version still the same, or have they changed that along with the edc, edt, edp, etc? I have read the parfum version is significantly better, even the modern version of the parfum. I did a search for 'vintage Shalimar' on ebay, and I think many sellers just wrote 'vintage' because the bottle had a antique look to it, but I have a feeling they are in fact new, since the bottle I bought, which was listed as new, was the same bottle design as the 'vintage' ones. And has the formulation of any of the other Guerlains changed significantly over time?

OK the newer smooth bottle does smell different from the older ripped bottle. Even Roja Dove Guerlain's Professor of Parfum admitted to me,it was too.

What happened is this the sandalwood and bergamot which are such an important part of Shalimar became very expensive and rare. So Guerlain changed to a cheaper version of each.

I have not smelt the Shalimar parfum since I bought my bottle in 1996,so honestly cannot say about the recent batches.
    DONNA

YOU will not regret buying the perfume! The Guerlain's were MEANT to be in the parfum (classics) IMHO. I do love Guet-Apen....one that hasn't been mentioned.

This will be my first post, so if it comes out bizarre, that's the reason.
    I love L'Heure Bleue (compelling, tender, melancholy), but have never been excited by Shalimar. Go figure. The one I really want to try is Apres L'Ondee, but understand it's discontinued. Does anyone know where I might get a sample of it, or a designer fake that is respectably close? Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    Does anyone know where I might get a sample of it, or a designer fake that is respectably close? Thanks so much.
    hello, and welcome! When I was searching ebay for Guerlains I came across some Apres l'ondee - one seller has 1/4 oz. of the pure purfume (not in original bottle), but it's pretty pricey. Just do a search for it on eBay, you'll find it. There were also a couple of decants for under $10.

I can't figure out how to reply to a specific post (#13 above), BUT ..... I bid on the Guerlain sampler group on e-bay, which includes Apres L'ondee. Thanks - it will be kind of exciting.

You can still get Apres L'Ondee in the edt,most counters do not keep it but a Guerlain sa can order it for you.
    DONNA

sharaku

Quote Originally Posted by donna255
    OK the newer smooth bottle does smell different from the older ripped bottle. Even Roja Dove Guerlain's Professor of Parfum admitted to me,it was too.

What happened is this the sandalwood and bergamot which are such an important part of Shalimar became very expensive and rare. So Guerlain changed to a cheaper version of each.

I have not smelt the Shalimar parfum since I bought my bottle in 1996,so honestly cannot say about the recent batches.
    It maybe digress from subject. But... Speaking of Shalimar parfum, I think there it no difference between new one and old one. I have the 10 years old sample.Shalimar has patchouli extract. I think this note is more important for this parfum. Anyway, I'm not a expert. Just my thought.

my Shalimar parfum just came and it is indeed a close relative to Jicky. At first I didn't think I was too impressed but now 10 minutes later I'm really liking it. It is really rich and deep, and has the same slightly perverse quality of Mitsouko and Jicky that I love. I think I can describe that quality as 'fleshy' and body-like. Imagine if you took some vanilla ice cream and rubbed it all over yourself and didn't shower for a couple days, that's what Shalimar might smell like! ;D Hmm, that sounds a bit gross, but it is really pleasant, although I still see myself preferring Jicky and Mitsouko, which I'm absoloutely crazy about.

sharaku

╩It is really rich and deep, and has the same slightly perverse quality of Mitsouko and Jicky that I love. ╩I think I can describe that quality as 'fleshy' and body-like. ╩Imagine if you took some vanilla ice cream and rubbed it all over yourself and didn't shower for a couple days, that's what Shalimar might smell like!
    I like your description. ╩You know it's "dirty vanilla" made by Jacques Guerlain. Though,It doesn't smell a lot of vanilla on me. Amber and patchouli win against vanilla. I think other classic Guerlain's scents are sophisticated and elegant rather than Shalimar. Because seems Shalimar has Guerlan's "dirty vanilla" a lot. ╩I often find eroticism for unsophisticated things. ╩;D ╩ And I love Shalimar parfum best.

L'heure Bleue and Chamade just came. it might take a while to digest these as I'm a bit under the weather and just don't really feel like smelling anything. But L'heure Bleue is quite beautiful - it's so tranquil and relaxed, it has a feel of bottled stasis. Chamde has bite - something about this one is quite different. If I'm feeling better in a few hours I'll go more into it.

Whoa, all this talk about "dirty" vanilla - is that a Guerlain trademark (don't know much about their fragrances other than L'Heure Bleue)? The reason I ask is because I just uncorked a homemade fragrance I had aging, and the description of skin/dirty vanilla fragrance suits this one to a "T".
    I'm trying to make a personal fragrance for myself out of predominately essential oils (with some fragrance oils for the pricey ingredients) and followed a formula involving soaking vanilla beans with orange peel etc. in alcohol, then adding a few floral notes. I thought it was too wishy-washy, so I added some sandalwood, vetiver, and cedar a week later. Anyway, it went from there, and 20 ingredients and one month later, my first thought upon smelling it was it should be called "Slut" or "Floozy". It had a blowsy, cheap-erotic, sweet vanilla, fruity, floral quality about it that was hard to describe, but for some reason was unmistakeably "Floozy" material. It was just there.
    But I actually LIKED the fragrance, though there was no way I could wear it out in public. The comment above about skin/dirty vanilla is THIS fragrance. Amazing!

my Shalimar parfum just came and it is indeed a close relative to Jicky. ╩
    My thoughts exactly, except in reverse. The first spray of Jicky immediately brought back memories of how I remember Shalimar smelling years ago. The relaunch of Shalimar seems to be a little heavier, but still good. They are definitely blood kin.

JAG ;D

I tried Apres l'Ondee. Superiously rich and chic. I don't feel the "grandmama's factor":-)) Love the heliotrope there. The top notes are very "pure":-P, syropy, but like one of a flower. There is sth so milky with it, but only after a while.

Very spring scent. I think there is more "joy" and "life" than other heliotrope scents I have tried (Etro, Rahat). And the orris is just marverlous.
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

I have L'Heure Bleue on the way right now (got it in a swap). From all that I've heard about it, I can't wait!