Code of Conduct

Default Girls.. help me with a gift!

Hey guys.. obviously I'm new here, but I'm not sure how much I'll be around - probably just to ask an occasional question!

Anyway I have a friend turning 23 soon, and not being as up on my perfumes as my colognes, I really don't know what scent I should consider getting her.

I want something classy, but not an old lady scent. Designer brands would be preferred but I'm open to anything that's not too strong yet generally likable.

And for some reference, Dolce & Gabbana is one of my favorite colognes right now and I just got Burberry Brit and I'm liking that too.

I've heard good things about 24 Faubourg and Kenneth Cole Black, but I haven't smelled them myself so I don't know if they're what I'm looking for.

Anyway, please give me some ideas and it'll be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Girls.. help me with a gift!

Can you tell us what she wears at the moment? What sort of clothes does she go for? All this will help give us a picture of her. A idea might be to go round the stores and let her sniff a few.
    DONNA

She likes regular college girl clothing, but she has expensive taste too.. she owns a Louis Vuitton wallet and a Burberry bag she paid full price for. So that's why I suggested a designer label. And like I said, it should ideally be light and not too floral. I don't think she wears any fragrance at the moment.. I just decided on a perfume as a gift because she always compliments my cologne.

Taking her to pick something would take away the element of surprise though. I need that!

Fragrance is a VERY personal thing. You really do need to know more about her fragrance taste than to make a wild stab at it. Anything we might suggest could be all wrong....... We could suggest some that are pretty universally liked by MOST people but that doesn't mean it would be her favorite.

I think Eau de Merveilles by Hermes is pretty SAFE but.......

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

This fragrances isn't designer, it's niche, but well liked by most: Sage Machado Pearl. It is mostly vanilla, but not too sweet, too foody or too dry. It also has some sandalwood and just a little musk. It comes in both EDT and an oil roll-on. Of course, the EDT gives more sillage. One of the reasons I think this would make a beautiful gift is the packaging. The bottles are housed in beautiful boxes. You can look at them and order it here: http://www.sagejewelry.com/perfume/T...e/toilette.htm

You may have realised that I am not a girl, but I will offer some of my experience.

I was with a friend (who is female) whilst she was shopping for perfume and I was not really interested in the large amount of sampling going on. Then I smelt one fragrance that just hit me as something that seemed so right for my girlfriend. I bought it, my girlfriend loved it.

I guess that you would have to know this person very well to want to take a stab at what she would like. Or have great intuition.
    In my opinion, you should only buy someone perfume when you do know them well, and (not necessarily want to know them well). I say this as I have seen many disasters, though not mine.

Good luck

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, if you do decide to order Sage Pearl, it would be better to order it from http://www.lacremebeauty.com/ . The owner, Autumn, will gift wrap it at no charge and include samples. Sage won't do that for you.

Ladylonestar

Greetings, Beatmonger!

Quote Originally Posted by beatmonger
    I want something classy, but not an old lady scent....... I've heard good things about 24 Faubourg
    Well... if a 75-year-old woman wears 24, Faubourg -- would that move it into the "old lady scent" category? If a 17-year-old girl wears Youth Dew, would that make it a teeny-bopper scent? How would you classify Shalimar, Knowing, Coco, Chamade, No. 5, Boucheron or Opium if females and males from fourteen to ninety wear them? In my opinion, there's no such thing as "old lady scents", though there may be those that evoke a memory (pleasant or unpleasant) of an older person. Open your mind to the beauty and wonder of fragrances and you will begin to see that while there certainly are fragrances more suited than others to certain occasions, personalities and life-styles, and maturity levels (emotionally and age-wise), there simply are no "old lady scents".

Now, with that little speech out of the way -- since you like Dolce & Gabanna and Burberry Brit, I would suggest that you head to fine fragrances and sample all of the Dolce & Gabanna fragrances for women, as well as Burberry for women, Touch, Tender Touch and Burberry Brit. I also suggest you sample Must de Cartier and Eau de Cartier, and Bvlgari Omnia. Stop by the Chanel counter and sample No. 22 and Cristalle. Then there's Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Guerlain... so get busy, have fun, and GOOD LUCK!

lol, thanks for the speech Ladylonestar.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear or maybe my newbie status makes me look more clueless than I actually am. I'd just like some suggestions in general for women's scents to check out. Say 3 people suggest Sage Pearl (to use socalwoman's example) to me.. I'd take that suggestion seriously and be sure I sample it when choosing.

I gave a good hint though when I mentioned she likes D&G too. Does anyone know of a women's scent with similar notes?

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Post Thanks / Like

D&G is a Floriental, so how about trying some others in the same family?

Coco Mademoiselle
    Organza Indecence
    Jean Paul Gaultier Classique

All what I would consider fresh, soft, sexy and modern. They also all pack a very feminine punch- so spray accordingly.

Also, on a whim, you might want to consider Boucheron's Trouble. It's classed as a Vanilla Oriental, but it opens on a fresh, lemon-like note, has a similarity to the luscious Hypnotic Poison (without the stong almond note,) but IMHO feel it's infinitely more wearable. It's also sensual and classy. I think the bottle has been pulled from some stores due to a law suit over the snake on the cap, but I know for a fact you can still get it at Parfum1.com for a good price (the bottle is gorgeous BTW.)

Good luck.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Ladylonestar

lol, thanks for the speech Ladylonestar.
    Anytime.

I gave a good hint though when I mentioned she likes D&G too.
    Yes, I saw that, which is why I suggested you check out the women's D&G's, but you didn't give an olfactory description and many or some of us may not be familiar with the men's Dolce & Gabanna. I'm not. I've checked the notes, but in the fragrance world there are many fragrances with similar notes yet they smell nothing alike.

When I look at the notes, I'm inclined to direct you to Miss Balmain or Jolie Madame; Cristalle, Cabochard, Aliage, La Nuit, Knowing or maybe even Fendi or Vent Vert. But I may be waaaay off the scent of your D&G. It may even lean more toward an Annick Goutal or a Lorenzo Villoresi.

I still recommend you check out the Dolce & Gabanna for women, as well as most of the other D&G fragrances. Ditto with Burberry and the others I mentioned such as Cristalle. And I have several reasons for saying that. One important reason is this: She loves the Dolce & Gabanna on YOU as it mixes with your skin. This is not saying that she would love to wear this fragrance. There are many men's fragrances that I swoon over on men, but not so much when applied directly to my own skin.

There's always the possibility that someone very familiar with the men's Dolce & Gabanna may also be very familiar with a dead-ringer in a women's fragrance to match it. If that doesn't happen, then I would suggest that you make a list of any suggestions offered here... research the notes to see what you think... and then go sniff to see if they're close to your Dolce & Gabanna.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh- I thought it was also D&G women's that she liked...not just D&G men's on you.

Well, then maybe none of my suggestions will work at all.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like

Default  Re: Girls.. help me with a gift!

Well, now that you are totally overwhelmed, I will add my two cents. You mentioned 24 Faubourg and KC Black, both of which are lovely and classy scents IMO, especially 24 Faubourg. On me, it dries down softly with no floral tones.

Whatever you sample, only try a couple at one time, and give them a good 30 minutes to dry down. I have many bottles collecting dust because I was wowed by the initial spray only to be less enthusiastic an hour later.

Good luck - you have your work cut out for you!

JAG ;D