Code of Conduct

Default The lady of the forests

Hello Ladies,

I am having a lot of trouble leaving messages but I will try again.

I can to your section because I would like your expert opinons on a fragrance...

I have a lady that is a hiker, outdoors woman but still very feminine.

She had said to me it would be nice if she could have a fragrance that gave her the feeling of being in the mountains and in the forest with all the fresh smells she has come to love. She also has had a rough time of it for a few years now; family, health and so forth. She escapes ever so often to the forests for peace of mind. I would like to help her with a fragrance that reminds her of what she loves when she is not their.

This might be very tough but I thought this would be the place to come for the lady of the forest and her fragrance of magic.

I thank you all.

c
    CG

Default Re: The lady of the forests

??? Hello, and welcome . . .

I am not a woman, but I know something about ladies' fragrances, so I will give this a shot. It's too bad that Farouche, by Nina Ricci is so hard to come by . . . that, I think would be my first choice. Next, I thought of Cacharel's Anais Anais. It's a fresh floral, with the following notes:

White Madonna lily, black currant bud, hyacinth, lily of the valley, citrus . . . Moroccan jasmine, Grasse rose, Florentine iris, Madagascar ylang-ylang, orange blossom, Bourbon vetiver, California cedarwood, Singapore patchouli, Yugoslavian oakmoss . . . Russian leather, musk. It's quite lovely and light.

Another possibility might be Diorissimo, by Christian Dior. This is another, fresh floral. Here are the notes: Greens, bergamot, calyx . . . lily of the valley, jasmine, baronia, rosewood, ylang-ylang, lilac . . . Sandalwood, civet.

Amazone, from Hermes might be one more that I'd recommend. Here are the notes: Floral fruity . . . lemon, orange, bergamot, peach, strawberry, grapefruit, tangerine, galbanum . . . daffodil, hyacinth, narcissus, black currant bud, jasmine, raspberry, lily of the valley . . . sandalwood, vetiver, cedarwood, neroli, ylang-ylang, oakmoss.

Fellow basenoters will have many others, to suggest. I hope I've been of some help.

Ladylonestar

Hello, Caboose. Welcome to Basenotes. I really know nothing of being in the mountains, but here are a few fragrances that come to my mind:

Diptyque Philosykos
    Lorenzo Villoresi Dilmun
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Hermes Eau des Merveilles
    Balmain Vent Vert
    L'Artisan Premier Figuier
    L'Artisan Bois Farine

I spend a lot of time going hiking when stress from work, etc. is intense (frequently) and can relate to the desire to feel grounded by the forest. But in order to feel that sort of grounded serenity I'll often reach for a scent w/ dominant base notes or something w/ sandalwood. Top choice - Bagutta Life Vetiver. It is a beautifully sweet, ambered vetiver - the bottle alone calms me down it is so beautiful. MPG Santal Noble, Susanne Lang's Sandalwood, Tam Dao, 10CC are all excellent and for a more complex woodsy scent I'd pick Ginestet's Le Boise, DelRae's Bois de Paradis (I think the honey note in this is very comforting), CdG Sequoia or White (more floral in it), Serge Lutens Bois Oriental (has opoponax in it...usually pretty soothing) or SL Santal de Mysore (possibly the only person on the planet that does, but I get a sweet coconut vibe from this one). For green and/or woodsy I grab Mazzolari Mazzolari, Chene or Agraria Balsam (all three great evergreen scents), also Miller Harris Terre d'Bois (earthy, mossy forest) and Guerlain Vetiver (crisp, green). A soft floral w/ some woods is La Base. She may want to explore ambers and vanillas as well (first thought would be SL's Un Bois Vanille). Good luck and hope she feels better. Perfume is certainly my top drug of choice.

Ladylonestar

You know... I hesitated to mention these, but I think I'll go ahead. Vol de Nuit is one of the most supremely tranquilizing fragrances I've ever experienced. One of our members, Lille My, can describe the imagery she gets from it... something about a calm, serene lake in a deep forest.... well, her description is magical, really.

The other fragrance has little to do with outdoors and much to do with indoors as far as emotions, imagery, and such, and it's Etro Messe de Minuit. This is my "spiritual" fragrance -- the one that transports me and that also calms and soothes.

Neither of these evokes the outdoors for me, but they do seem to be very grounding.

MJH

Welcome to Basenotes, Caboose!

I'm still reading through the excellent suggestions already made, but wanted to add a quick plug for Laila by Geir Ness:
    http://www.laila.com/products_parfum.htm

Just wanted to add that I totally agree w/ Ladylonestar about the Messe de Minuit. And I am going to have to go dig out my Vol de Nuit today! I actually frequently go to incensey/spiritual or smoky scents for really deep calming treatment. Regina Harris is a new fav, but Angelique Encens, CdG Zagorsk and Kyoto are right up there...impossible to remain frazzled inhaling them on my wrist. But true comfort for me comes from SL Fumerie Turque and L'Artisan's Tea for Two...instant Xanax. But I know they are not necessarily well loved by all. :-)

Serpent

The first ones that came to my mind were Coriandre by Jean Couturier and Bois des Žles by Chanel.

I so agree with many suggestions here....I was going to come in with a list but Ali.....you slayed it...LOL

I totally agree with most incense and woods choices for the forest feel and I think out of all you mentioned, Ali, it would be Mazzolari, Mazzolari my second choice would be Comme de Garcons Sequoia and/or Calamus for that fall dried leaf smell. I also think smokey fragrances would work, like walking on a winter's day smelling the fireplaces that are burning.

Hope you find your Lady her forest scent caboose......let us know the upshot!!

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Welcome to Basenotes, Caboose!

I'm still reading through the excellent suggestions already made, but wanted to add a quick plug for Laila by Geir Ness:
    http://www.laila.com/products_parfum.htm
    I agree!! This is fresh mountain air in a bottle. It also compliments Geir for men very nicely.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe

I agree!!  This is fresh mountain air in a bottle.  It also compliments Geir for men very nicely.

Good luck
    For me this was allergies in a bottle.....both my hubby and I sneezed our heads off when I applied it. It was like applying pure pollen!

Hello!
    Have you considered Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Femme? It is a light, clean fragrance, with notes of raspberry and cedar. It's not an insipid fragrance, and the bottle is beautiful.

Hi,

I'd like to add Creed's Silver Mountain Water, it smells like it's name imo. Although a fresh scent, I find it still very comforting.

Hi all..

I know its a long time, since the question came up.. but i tot its interesting to suggest..

Personally.. Yves Rocher.. though not specialized Perfumer.. but.. its BAMBOO collection.. is as FOREST as it gets... Fresh!

If I may be so bold....you have practically described me...so I'll tell you what I tend to like...

Earthy scents, rather on the dry side...woody...mossy...not many floral tones...

I also live in the Pacific Northwest and know the smell of the forest very well. My suggestions would be:

Preparation Parfumee
    L'Artisan Santal
    Etro Patchouly or Sandalo
    Ormonde
    CdG Sequoia
    MPG Route du Vetiver

Maybe Estee Lauder's Aliage...??

I have nothing to add, but want to chime in on Sequoia. I was given a sample to try, and it provoked a strong scent memory of camping and hiking in California's forests.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Hi and welcome.

When I think of mountains I think cold or cool weather clear clean air. So I am going to suggest Guerlain Apres L'Ondee. It has been described at cold and shivering austere. Do not let that put you off it is also beautiful feminine haunting fragrance.

Notes of bergamot,aniseed,violet,heliotrope,hawthorn,orris, musk,ambrette seeds.
    DONNA

sharaku

I sometimes feel want to be in a deep forest. Creed Himalaya helps me. It's unisex scent.