Code of Conduct

Default New: Shania (Twain) by Stetson...by Coty.

WWD

Shania Twain: The Woman in Stetson
    By Molly Prior

NEW YORK ų Coty Beauty has invited country/pop signer Shania Twain to „Come On Overš to its bursting portfolio of celebrities. The fragrance company has lassoed Twain‚s star power in the hopes of reintroducing its Stetson brand to women. The two will collaborate on a new fragrance due out later this year called Shania by Stetson.

Why put Twain‚s name front and center and have Stetson play second fiddle?

It‚s simple, commented John Galantic, president of Coty Beauty U.S. „We are ultimately trying to appeal to Shania‚s fans.š

Twain has plenty of them, having sold 65 million albums worldwide. „In the end, she‚s the star of the show,š said Galantic.

The details ų such as the juice, bottle and packaging ų are still being finalized. Coty plans to back the launch with $10 million in marketing support.

Last fall, Coty chose Texas-born actor Matthew McConaughey to be the face and brawn behind Stetson‚s men‚s fragrances. Despite her Canadian roots, Shania ų like her male counterpart ų has a country western spirit, which Coty executives say mirrors Stetson‚s brand positioning. She also isn‚t afraid to break the rules ų when she first burst onto the scene, Shania raised eyebrows in Nashville for baring her midriff. Nevertheless, she is the best-selling female country artist of all time.

Coty has plenty of experience mining the power of musical performers, having created multiple fragrances for Jennifer Lopez and Celine Dion. In the company‚s view, scent ų like song ų evokes a feeling and a mood. Shania by Stetson will bow in July and will include four items, ranging in price from a $8.50 body lotion to a $26 fragrance.

Serpent

Default Re: New: Shania (Twain) by Stetson...by Coty.

LadyL.: Guess what you're gonna be smelling a lot of real soon!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    LadyL.:  Guess what you're gonna be smelling a lot of real soon!  
    All I can say is... yuck. Wonder what Francois Coty would think of all of this?

"The details ų such as the juice, bottle and packaging ų are still being finalized." The details, like the JUICE for crying out loud, are still being finalized. But $10 MILLION is sitting ready to back the launch! $10 MILLION to market something that hasn't been created yet. So the message is that it doesn't matter what's in the bottle... it's the name or the face on the bottle that matters?! Right? People buy any ol' crap on the shelves with the right celebrity name or face on it? Sheesh. :

I'm afraid that celebrity fragrances are here to stay, the trend is already lasting longer than when it first came arround in the 80s.
    Afterall more people know who Shania Twain is then who is Alexander McQueen.

I might be wrong but I think that what we will see in the coming years is that celebrity fragrances are going to cover most of the mass and middle market (for the latter also sportswear designers). Fragrances by high fashion designers will chose more and more for selective distribution like luxury departement stores, some might even niche distribution (like Oswald Boateng or Norma Kamali).

well said Ced.

I seems the pop culture is really growing for the new generation.

Back in my days "the 80's" it was designers that ruled. Everyone wanted to wear something with a logo attached let it be an aligator....a man on a horse...bag with double GG's of FF's. Samething with scents...Fendi could have put poop in a bottle but many would wear it just to say they were wearing F E N D I.

Now it seems the designers have taking back seat and the young aspire to celebs..... JLo..Paris Hilton...Brittney..etc.

A whole new game has been set afoot.

Ladylonestar

I seem to recall the explosion of designer fragrances began in the mid-70s, and I have no problem with celebrity scents or the "new game which has been set afoot." I still rely on my own nose to select what I like. What troubles me about this particular launch -- and maybe I'm not making myself clear -- is that little thought, if any thought at all, has been given to what should be the most important thing -- the JUICE. Coty seems to want to get all the *names* (stars, celebrities) signed on and then worry about what actually goes in the bottle later... much later. They've already got their marketing budget lined out and they don't know what they'll be marketing (except Shania Twain). It seems to me that their message is that the name sells, not the juice. The name is important and the liquid is inconsequential. Forget about the old-fashioned notion of creating a great fragrance to stand the test of time. They admit that they're only trying to appeal to Shania's fans. Even if I liked her *style* of country music and bought/listened to her music, it doesn't mean I would like to *wear* her. : I have no problem with celebrity fragrances per se, but Coty Beauty's smirky attitude on this one bugs the hell out of me. >

Serpent

Has there ever actually been a really good celebrity scent, one worthy of admiration? Does any celebrity scent succeed on its own merits as a fragrance? The only one I can ever recall getting any sort of adulation on any board is Cher's long-gone Uninhibited. It's even been recreated at Long Lost Perfumes, if memory serves. (That Celine Dion's eponymous scent "isn't repugnant" or some such thing doesn't really count as success. It's just non-failure.) I recall liking Manifesto by Isabella Rossellini but not being blown away by it, and now it's disappeared (or, as a look at her website reveals, its name has been changed to "My Manifesto&quot. The French celebrities seem to be rather satisfied with what Catherine Deneuve and Alain Delon have done (although Deneuve's scent is also discontinued), but the American celebs...

So, does anyone here really enjoy any celebrity fragrances on a regular basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
     It seems to me that their message is that the name sells, not the juice.  The name is important and the liquid is inconsequential.  Forget about the old-fashioned notion of creating a great fragrance to stand the test of time.  
    I agree with LadyL here. There isn't even a product yet. It too seems ridiculous to me that the last thing to be decided here is what the perfume is going to smell like.

It always floors me that marketing people assume consumers will actually rush out to buy a perfume because of a celebrity name - who cares what it actually smells like! The strange thing is that it actually happens. People do buy.

The whole thing is just weird to me.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Ugh...I don't even like her image....what will the call the fragrance - Midriff???

Just a few weeks ago I came across an ad where she is schlepping air fresheners. Some disc thing that you put in this little device and it spins out "April Flowers" or some such thing. The caption was something like, "What I play when I'm not playing music.." It was pretty bad...haha...so the personal fragrance will be a step up for Ms Twain. Now if that annoying Gretchen Something-Or-Other launches a frag called "Redneck Woman", that will really take the cake. What sort of woman do you suppose would go running for the tester of "Redneck Woman"? hhmmm? hahahaha

Serpent

I can see the slogan now:

"Man! I smell like a woman!"

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    What sort of woman do you suppose would go running for the tester of "Redneck Woman"?  hhmmm? hahahaha
    Maybe the same *type* that would go running for the tester of Celine or JLo Glow or Britney Spears' Curious or Sarah Jessica Parker or.... fill in the celebrity name. Just people, really, sucked up into celebrity dreamland, which is exactly what Coty Beauty is banking on. I'm not knocking celebrities or Shania Twain, and I'm not knocking her fans or the people who will buy these fragrances. I want to be very, very clear on that. I am, however, knocking the hell out of what Coty Beauty is doing. But it's big business and I'll get over it.

Yes...you're probably right about that, Lonestar.