Code of Conduct

Thread: Les Néréides

Default Les Néréides

Thanks to Artisankey I finally have a chance to get to know "the little mermaids" a bit better! Right now I'm testing Oriental Lumpur and Impérial Oppoponax, Douceur de Vanille is still waiting for its turn.

I really, really like these two, might slightly prefer Impérial Oppoponax, I always go for these ambery vanillas with a nice woody "burn"! Oriental Lumpur is a very spicy woody scent, not at all sweet, quite earthy. Both are loveable.

The website is charming, too!
    http://www.lesnereides.com
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Les Néréides

I'm inspired to get my Les Nereides samples out! I did a quick sniff when they arrived along with several YOSH and all of the Florascents. I got a little carried away that day! :

Impérial Oppoponax is a beautiful fragrance, and certainly bottleworthy. I wasn't very impressed with Oriental Lumpur.

Ladylonestar

I did get my samples out today and tested three of the Les Nereides.

Oriental Lumpur reminded me somewhat of LLP Anarchy, MAC V/3, and Loree Rodkin Gothic II.  Unfortunately, it turned very sweet on my skin, like a sweet incense; loaded with spices, wood and very sweet, earthy patchouli.

Imperial Opoponax, on immediate opening, reminded me of Must de Cartier pure parfum.  I really like this one -- rich, deep and warm, sweet ambery vanilla, like Tig said.  I happen to love myrrh, so I really like Imperial Opoponax.

Douceur de Vanille, I fell in love with.  It opened, to my nose, with the scent of what I thought was the scent of fresh rain and then I decided it was the sheerest watermelon aroma.  Actually, it's the scent of baby powder, I think -- fresh and clean and a little powdery, but barely so.  A lovely fragrance that doesn't smell perfumey, for when you want to smell good but not like you're wearing fragrance.  

I adored oriental lumpur's opening notes and poof....they were gone and what was left was nothing to write home about. I was so sad. :'( I just wished the oriental lumpur could have stayed with the beginning wonderful spicy opening blast. The opoponax is beautiful and the dry down is so similar to Carthusia Ligea.....another oponoax scent I really like!

B_G

I have NO idea what ya'all are talkin about!! :-[

Glo here's the link
    They're sold at Luckyscent

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...categoryid=118

MJH

I've been so intrigued by these since I first saw them listed on the Luckyscent site. Of course, the opopanax is the one that most intrigued me, too. I think I just counted three thumbs up: Oh No! ;D

Thank you, everyone, for your impressions.

Testing Douceur de Vanille right now, still at the top note stage so it will change but at this point I would say I like Impérial Opoponax more. Much more.

I know full well that I don't need IO but I want it! :-[

IknewitIknewitIknewitIknewit!  I knew it!  Had a feeling you'd LOVE the Opoponax and at least be in tune with the Lumpur.  Is the final take on the Vanille iffy? (That's the one I thought you wouldn't like.  The one I HAD to have.)

Interesting that you too find them long lasting- I do as well.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    IknewitIknewitIknewitIknewit! I knew it! Had a feeling you'd LOVE the Opoponax
    You did, Key, you sure did! :-*

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Is the final take on the Vanille iffy? (That's the one I thought you wouldn't like. The one I HAD to have.)

Interesting that you too find them long lasting- I do as well.
    Vanille is nice all right but not "me", it might be the almond in it, I'm sitting on the fence with that note, in some scents it doesn't bother me, in some it does, in some rare cases I might even love it!

I found all three very long-lasting.

Thanks again for the samples, Key!

You're welcome Tigs- thanks for the reviews. I do remember now that almond often does not work for you.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I always go for these ambery vanillas with a nice woody "burn"!
    Well, thought I'd revive an old thread since I am sampling today and put some Imperial Opoponax on a while ago. Quite a sharp, sweet opening which mellows beautifully into an slow, glowing, beautifully mellow scent. I think Tigs' line above is spot on in describing it and pushing the 'cello analogy further (people have compared this scent to the sound of a 'cello), it's like the thick, treacly double stopped chords in the opening of the Sarabande from Bach's First Cello Suite.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Sante, have you tried Tann Rokka Kisu? Another mellow "cello scent" but much drier and woodier, with ylang ylang, rosewood, cedarwood and musk.
    http://www.kisu.co.uk/

Tigs
    That sounds lovely - I have seen this website before but have never actually sampled the scent. Will add it to the list!

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

I think this is a first. Always reading about perfumes I've never heard of, much less own, this is one - a full bottle mind you - that I have in my possession. It was the sweet myrrh that lured me in and it is blended to perfection. Luv it!

JAG ;D

[blue]I‚ve been digging Les Néréides scents for about 8 months now. I sent out some feelers by posting about them in SOTD threads, with, unfortunately, no reaction, expect from Ladylonestar. I‚m very glad to see that this wonderful line is now starting to get the recognition it deserves. He are my impressions of some of the standout fragrances in the line I‚ve previously posted in SOTD threads:

Les Néréides [red]*Musc de Java*[/red] (Light Musk, Berries, Blackcurrant, Violet Leaves, Sage, Fresh Cut Hay) A delectable, soft, honey-sweet grass greeness that faintly echoes a muted fig note.

Les Néréides [red]*Impérial Opoponax*[/red] (Opoponax (Sweet Myrrh), Amber, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Citrus) The sandalwood and vanilla balance the resinous, balsamic, and the slightly but tantilizingly pungent qualities of Sweet Myrrh and Benzoin to produce a very interesting tension that resolves itself into a full-bodied, luxurious accord. It is similtaneously a sensuous, bracing, and edgy scent. A most original creation. When the fragrances dries down, the vanilla predominates with echoes of sweet myrrh and benzoin reverberating enough to give it an ever so slight but sharp edge. Excellent longevity.

Les Néréides [red]*Fleur Poudrée de Musc*[/red] (Himalayan Musk, Powdered Flowers) An exceedingly soft but assured natural musk, very refined with no sharpness or acridity despite the slight, tantilizing animalic edge. Reminiscent of some of the best drydowns of classic women‚s perfumes of the past. Musky and soft, full-bodied without being cloying or brazenly powdery. The drydown just gets better and better as ethereal floral elements blend with the musk and completely soften any animalic edge it might have had without turning it into a pure powder drydown. The final lingering basenote accord reminds me very much of the drydown of *Arome 3*. This is a beautifully constructed scent and very, very elegant with excellent longevity.

I am very impressed with Les Néréides line, but I have to say the line to look out for is Des Filles ą la Vanille line. It‚s truly amazing with an imposing variety of scents. Check them out:

http://www.desfillesalavanille.com/

I‚ll be posting some reviews of about 12 scents in the Des Filles ą la Vanille over the next few weeks if any one is interested.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

As soon as I "get my nose back" I must try the rest of Les Néréides scents! Have samples of them all waiting...

Scentemental, how would you compare Des Filles ą la Vanille to La Maison de la Vanille? I'm not familiar with either line.

Oops, sorry, I just noticed that I misread your question Tigrushka after I had already written a response. At any rate, I think I inadvertantly end up answering your question when I talk about Des Filles ą la Vanille's uses of vanilla and other gourmand notes.

[blue]Tigrushka,

I am still formulating my ideas and have only recently started to test the Des Filles ą la Vanille line thoroughly; it's a very extensive line. I would say from initial impressions that the Des Filles ą la Vanille line has a certain playful, inventive quality to it that is very much at the heart of everything they do. I am a lot more impressed with their myriad uses of vanilla (and other gourmand notes) when compared to many other houses/designers, whose heavy-handed and banal reworkings of vanilla and the generic burnt caramel gourmand note seem rudimentary and uninspired, to say the least (La Maison de la Vanille is one such culprit). A case in point: there is such traditional simplicity in Des Filles ą la Vanille *Garćon Manqué* (rose, white musk, jasmine, cedar wood, peach, vanilla), and yet it so fresh and vibrant, so beautifully blended that the peach note is made immediately palpable and fresh as if one is experiencing it for the very first time. The vanilla here plays a supporting, synergistic role. Their *RiviŹre de Janvier* (Fig Leaf, Green Accord, Rose, Vanilla) is a softer, ever so slightly sweeter, drier version of Diptyque‚s *Philosykos*. It‚s very similar to *Philosykos*, but the clarion, verdant fig note of *Philosykos* is diffused by a very reticent use of vanilla in the background and a barely perceptible rose note. I think of it as a *Philosykos* for evening wear. It's an amazing fragrance in its own right and, in my mind, is up there with *Philosykos* and L'Artisan's *Premier Figuier* as one of the more impressive of the au courant fig-note scents.

I think the Les Néréides is the more traditionalist line, but both lines really impress me with their use of innovation within tradition. There is amazing skill in the craftsmanship with which these scents are put together. I can't help but feel with these two lines that the artisanal element in French perfumery is thriving and thriving by being in touch with the more innovative drive of modern perfumery as a whole. To me they both represent a very hopeful renaissance of sorts in the area of non-mainstream scents or niche scents if you like. I feel hopeful when I think about the wonderful range and originality of their fragrances.

I know this is cursory and somewhat desultory, but you'll have to excuse me; it's well past midnight, and I had to dredge all this up on the spot and from a very tired and overworked brain in desparate need of sleep. I'll try to refine my thoughts over the next few weeks.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

OK, thanks! I saw that while La Maison de la Vanille has only five vanilla scents, Des Filles ą la Vanille has many more and not all of them vanilla-based. More houses to explore (will it EVER end? no, I'm afraid).

thank you so much for the review of the "Les Néréides".. i have and love the Impérial Oppoponax too.. and have just ordered some samples along with my purchase of Ambre di Venezia ( Ięm really into ambers these days ) I regret not ordering Musc de Java though.. will have to next time

Lille My, haven't you tried some Des Filles ą la Vanille scents? Would love to read your impressions!

Lille My, haven't you tried some Des Filles ą la Vanille scents? Would love to read your impressions!  
    Tigs.. sorry to say that I havenęt . I ordered samples of them long time ago.. at Luckyscent, but i never received them. Sometimes Luckyscent is impossible to get in contact via e-mail. :-/

Sorry to hear that.

I got so curious I tried today to order samples straight from the headquarters, will see how it goes. Will report later (if there will be anything to report, you'll never know... :)

Default Des Filles ą la Vanille

No Des Filles ą la Vanille samples, then.

"thank you for your response
    we so sorry we don't send samples in broad but you can see all the collection of the perfumes and the canddles in our web site .
    The minimum to buy is :
    - 6 bottles for 6 scents so 36 bottles for the beginning."

OK, I can understand they don't send samples outside France. But what I don't understand is that I should order a full-size bottle of each of their 36 scents before I get any samples? ??? ???

This does NOT sound good at all. >

Tigs.. it sounds like they neither understood what you where asking.. nor what they answered themselves..
    it gives no meaning whatsoever ;D

They understood my request for samples all right since it was in French.

Then they wanted "more information" about me, I replied in English and asked what kind of information and this is what they wrote back. :-/

Maybe their site is wholesale only and not retail, that's the only logical explanation.

Ladylonestar

You can find the Des Filles a la Vanille at Beauty Habit:

http://www.beautyhabit.com/desfillesdelavanille.html

I think I've seen Socalwoman post at least one of them under SotD.

Thanks, Lady L! They have Grandiflorum, too.

But do they have samples? And do they ship to Europe? ???

Ladylonestar

Thanks, Lady L! They have Grandiflorum, too.
    I know! That's where I spied Grandiflorum.

But do they have samples? And do they ship to Europe?  ???
    I think Beauty Habit does have a sample program... on their home page, but I'll have to check. As for shipping to Europe... not sure. We MUST find this out!

Ladylonestar

Okay. Yes, Beauty Habit does have a sample program:

http://www.beautyhabit.com/bhsample.html

It gives a phone number also for International orders! By the way, this info is also listed under Basenotes Shopping Guides Section (which is full of all kinds of good samples information).

M'kay, thanks! :-*

possibly getting the vanille in a swap...looking forward to trying this new lline..i've noticed alot of availability in europe for this line..must be cheaper :'(than in us...
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)