Code of Conduct

Thread: Lutens Dilemma

Default Lutens Dilemma

Now.. I received my wax sample from palais Royal a few days ago, hurried to test the Chne, and like it very much.. retested it today.. and still did.. I am still a bit undecisive ( is that a word? ) about it because I wonder if it is just vegetables and soup herbs i smell. But then.. just for fun.. i tried another wax sample.. Vetiver oriental.. liked that one.. and then.. just to remind me, and show my husband, how absoluty AWFUL..the Muscs Koublai Khan smells ( I always found it should be Muscs Djengis Khan.. the smell of an old, worn, sweaty fur coat, never washed.. being worn while haunting the steppes, that smell.. put in a bottle )and.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It is warm.. animalic musky.. almots clean , but seductive.. on the border of being repulsive.. but it isnt.. i can«t stop sniffing my hand.. husband and kids really like it.. it is SO skin-like.. so close to the body.. so authentic... ;DI am totally and utterly confused.. i have always found the wearers of this scent to be "weird".. but now I get it.. I really get it.. I think I«m in love...

The dilemma is.. that I thought I wanted the Chne for my birthday.. but now i am confused. :-/. i simply can«t believe that I love that "awful" scent??? !!?? I really can«t afford both.. I don«t know whether to pick one.. or to get both.. and maybe split one of the bottles.. It really took me by surprise... :

Default Re: Lutens Dilemma

Lille My, you lucky dame!!! I wanted MKK to smell great on me but it didn't, not even after six test-drives and I have given up on it, but thanks to your conversion I'll give it one last try tomorrow.

I might be interested in splitting a bottle of Chne (or even MKK) but I'm wiser tomorrow...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I might be interested in splitting a bottle of Chne (or even MKK) but I'm wiser tomorrow...
    Tigs.. that would be just perfect.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my
    Tigs.. that would be just perfect.. :-)
    Great! I'll let you know tomorrow.

MJH

Darn it! I'm always fascinated when I hear about scents that are supposed to be repulsive. I usually fall in love with them: Yatagan, Bandit, Cabochard, Jicky.....

Lille My, I noticed Safran wanted to split a bottle of Chne, too, so if I love it and 25 ml is enough for you and Safran, could it be split in three?

Ladylonestar

Lille My, I'm not even going to sample these two. I can tell I already want both of them, especially Muscs Koublai Khan. :'(

and then.. just to remind me, and show my husband, how absoluty AWFUL..the Muscs Koublai Khan smells ( I always found it should be Muscs Djengis Khan.. the smell of an old, worn, sweaty fur coat, never washed.. being worn while haunting the steppes, that smell.. put in a bottle )and.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It is warm.. animalic musky.. almots clean , but seductive.. on the border of being repulsive.. but it isnt.. i can«t stop sniffing my hand..
    ;D

Many thanks, Lille My for inspiring me to take one last sniff. May I announce ladies & gents that MKK has beat the Mitsouko record (six test-drives)... The cow-smell finally gave way to a gorgeous musk, on the 7th time.

That "old, worn, sweaty fur coat" is pretty accurate to describe the top notes, though, it does smell like wet sheepskin! ;D

MJH

Many thanks, Lille My for inspiring me to take one last sniff. May I announce ladies & gents that MKK has beat the Mitsouko record (six test-drives)... Ê The cow-smell finally gave way to a gorgeous musk, on the 7th time.

That "old, worn, sweaty fur coat" is pretty accurate to describe the top notes, though, it does smell like wet sheepskin! Ê;D
    Crud!! I knew I'd end up wanting this!

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Crud!! I knew I'd end up wanting this!
    Mark, I'll send you some in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Lille My, I'm not even going to sample these two. Ê(
    That is what YOU think Ê;D And I wouldn«t worry about it, I am positive that you are going to HATE both.. :-*

Ladylonestar

That is what YOU think Ê;D And I wouldn«t worry about it, I am positive that you are going to HATE both.. :-*
    Oh, please, please, please don't send these to me, Lille My! Don't you have some really inexpensive perfumes laying around somewhere that I might like? ;D

I love team work. Enjoy ladies!

Muscs Kublai Khan is one of the more amazing fragrances I have. Lille's description of it was dead on. When describing a scent, you'd usually think that phrases like "fecal quality" and "monkey house" would be a sign to go running for the exits. How it isn't is still beyond me. This scent has an underlying sweetness and utterly unique progression that always leaves me wanting to wear it again and again. What an amazing scent. It's scents like that remind me of how much I love this hobby.

Hello, all. I just registered on this site but have been on POL for a few months.

I had exactly the same reaction to MKK -- expecting to hate it based on the reviews, but loved it on my skin. I can't say the same for Mitsouko yet -- I have a bit of the pure parfum and have worn it five or six times but I think I haven't "gotten" it yet. There is something overripe about it on me -- and the other day, I took a silk shell out of my closet and it smelled terrible, and I finally realized it was from the Mitsouko last week.

But MKK is a different story. I've only tried the wax sample, but am willing to risk a blind purchase, that's how much I loved it. I know the initial application can be hairy (no pun intended) but the drydown is so perfect it seems perfectly logical to take the risk.

Have any of you put your resources together and bought a bottle yet? If not, would any of you be interested?

Muscs Koublai Khan.....perhaps the scent of my ancestor?

Yep, I can't believe I'm revealing this on the internet, but Khan is my last name. I realize that it's very unlikely that he is actually an ancestor of mine (or maybe not? He did have something like seven hundred kids...) but it's something to throw around at cocktail parties.

Quote Originally Posted by cathleen56
    Have any of you put your resources together and bought a bottle yet? ÊIf not, would any of you be interested?
    Hi Cathleen.. and welcome aboard.. The MKK is already bought and divied I«m afraid.. but maybe you can find some others to split a bottle of the Goat skin perfume with ;D .best of luck

I hope so! I'm curious -- how did you get your bottle? Did you take up a collection and send someone to Paris?

It was very simple: Lille My lives in Denmark and I in Finland, in other words (Northern) Europe.

Lucky you (in more ways than one!). But I'm assuming that one of you still had to travel to Paris, no? Or are Lutens perfumes available throughout Europe?

They are available online: http://www.salons-shiseido.com/
    The thing is, they don't ship outside Europe.

http://www.aedes.com carries the so-called export line in the US

OH NO! Will I like it as much as Messe de Minuit?

When I fist got interested in scents about a year ago, the thing I liked most was musk, and this was one of the first ones I tried, and instantly loved it. Now I'm not particularly interested in musks, I like more earthy scents. I do still love this one, and I had the option of getting a real bottle of this or Chene and went with Chene... that's just where my tastes are now. It's interesting how what you like can change over time. I suspect I'll come back to love musks eventually, but until then I'll make due with my little decant. But as far as musk goes, I think this is the best I've tried. And I never got anything rank from it, (on the guy's board someone compared it to man-ass!), I think it's quite pretty!

Well, no more NON-EXPORTS for me. I inevitably fall hard for these scents (more likely "wanting what I can't have&quot. Too many wonderful fragrances on this side of the ocean to pine over what can't be.

That brings up a question I have been meaning to ask. Just why is it that they don't export all their fragrances? It would only mean more $$$ for them.

I will have to admit though that I went scrambling for the wax samples my friend sent me, which had only enough left to barely get a whiff. I found myself digging under the little MKK circle for what might have oozed from sight - no luck. So I peeled back the entire inside cover and, wallah, there laid a tiny little wad of MKK, just enough for a very brief and fleeting experience.

JAG ( :P - to you SL for not "putting out" so to speak!)

Lille My-- I LOVE MKK as well. Lovely, clean, and warm on my skin (only animalic for a few minutes while it settles down!) I say, GO FOR THE MKK!!!

Sorry Juvy but have you read the whole thread or only the first post? And did you pay any attention to the dates? ???

Lille My and I split the bottle of MKK in last September... :

And Cathleen, since you have some Lutens scents already (Un Lys, Sa Majeste le Rose) I naturally supposed you knew that Palais Royal line is exclusively available in Europe and the export line all over the world. But I guess I was mistaken. Sorry.

It was very simple: Lille My lives in Denmark and I in Finland, in other words (Northern) Europe. Ê
    Oh, poo! I wish I was around when you bought it. :'(

I thought the exclusive line was available only by going to the store in Paris -- I didn't realize that they shipped within the European countries. Now it all makes sense to me -- thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my View Post
    Now.. I received my wax sample from palais Royal a few days ago, hurried to test the Chne, and like it very much.. retested it today.. and still did.. I am still a bit undecisive ( is that a word? ) about it because I wonder if it is just vegetables and soup herbs i smell. But then.. just for fun.. i tried another wax sample.. Vetiver oriental.. liked that one.. and then.. just to remind me, and show my husband, how absoluty AWFUL..the Muscs Koublai Khan smells ( I always found it should be Muscs Djengis Khan.. the smell of an old, worn, sweaty fur coat, never washed.. being worn while haunting the steppes, that smell.. put in a bottle )and.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It is warm.. animalic musky.. almots clean , but seductive.. on the border of being repulsive.. but it isnt.. i can«t stop sniffing my hand.. husband and kids really like it.. it is SO skin-like.. so close to the body.. so authentic... ;DI am totally and utterly confused.. i have always found the wearers of this scent to be "weird".. but now I get it.. I really get it.. I think I«m in love...

The dilemma is.. that I thought I wanted the Chne for my birthday.. but now i am confused. :-/. i simply can«t believe that I love that "awful" scent??? !!?? I really can«t afford both.. I don«t know whether to pick one.. or to get both.. and maybe split one of the bottles.. It really took me by surprise... :
    Somebody please explain what Ch_ne is.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Chene

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    Chene
    Thank you, is it my computer or is anyone else out there getting that "box" symbol/character between CHandNE?
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    Thank you, is it my computer or is anyone else out there getting that "box" symbol/character between CHandNE?
    Yep, probably a symptom of pulling out a thread from 2004.