Code of Conduct
    Serpent

Default Favorite Italian Designer Fragrance Line

Tigrushka asked about the favorite "Big Five," and, of course, Italian design houses were conspicuously absent from that collection. The Italians have always played runner-up to the French first on the runways and then on the fragrance counters. So, of the major Italian design houses, what's your favorite? (N.B.: Design houses with small, relative nascent lines - e.g., Prada, Costume National - have been excluded from this poll.)

Default Re: Favorite Italian Designer Fragrance Line

I voted for Etro.

What happened to Bvlgari? That would be my first runner up.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Serpent

Bulgari's not a fashion designer; it's a jeweler.

I, too, voted for Etro. ŹThey're really the only Italian fashion house that shows much creativity to my nose. ŹThey don't overuse heliotrope in the women's scents, tobacco in the men's, etc. ŹThey're sort of like Italy's answer to Comme des Gar¨ons as far as fragrance is concerned. ŹNow as far as those mustaches...

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Bulgari's not a fashion designer; it's a jeweler.
    I figured that was probably the reason,just thought i'd ask anyway. Plus,alot of people lump all scents (except niche and drugstore) together as designer.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Why So Serious?

I really like the Bulgari fragrance line, other than that, i'll choose DG followed by sergio tacchini.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Because of Diva, Emmanual Ungaro has my vote. I like Theorema (Fendi) and several others have one or two that I enjoy from time to time, but Diva is the one with class.

JAG ;D

MJH

I, too, voted for Etro. They're really the only Italian fashion house that shows much creativity to my nose. They don't overuse heliotrope in the women's scents, tobacco in the men's, etc. They're sort of like Italy's answer to Comme des Gar¨ons as far as fragrance is concerned.
    I also voted for Etro (not a difficult decision), although I like specific scents from several of the designers, I really wouldn't miss any of them (too much) if they disappeared from my collection.

Now as far as those mustaches...
    Whatsamatter with moustaches? (he says, stroking his own moustache...)

Voted for Gucci. Funny thing is that some of the Italian fragrance lines are not made by an Italian company.

Gucci and Trussardi are made by a German company( Wella/Cosmopolitan cosmetics)

Armani is made by L'Oreal (French)

Biagiotti and Valentino are made by Procter&Gamble
    in the past Valentino was made by Unilever

Only Cavalli,Ferragamo ,Fendi are made by an Italian company ( Itf cosmetics) and D&G ( Euro Italia)

Serpent

Well, technically, one could argue Gucci's scent line as spearheaded by Tom Ford isn't even Italian at all. But then most of these scents are created by noses who are, for the most part, French, aren't they?

Tigrushka asked about the favorite "Big Five," and, of course, Italian design houses were conspicuously absent from that collection.
    Errr... did you notice that for example Herm¸s, Lanvin and Balmain weren't included, either? ???

I picked those five particular houses because their scents are available "everywhere" and they are the most commonly known ones, not because they are French.

I voted for Etro.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Errr... did you notice that for example Herm¸s, Lanvin and Balmain weren't included, either? ŹI picked those five particular houses because their scents are available "everywhere" and they are the most commonly known ones, not because they are French.
    I know. (I was just straining for a segway. ;D )

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Whatsamatter with moustaches? (he says, stroking his own moustache...)
    Nothing's necessarily wrong with mustaches. But Etro's been putting these three-foot-wide handlebar mustaches in all sorts of day-glo shades on some of their runway models and mannequins. Not the most attractive look...

Etro raving ahead... :

I found Etro because of Messe de Minuit, which was so unlike any other fragrance I have ever smelled I just had to explore their scents further! Many people find it unwearable but it's one of my "soulmate scents" and Mr Tig's favourites.

Gomma was the second one I got smitten with: a very simple scent, to me it smells like Cussons Imperial Leather soap, it's clean and efficient, perfect for office wear.

Last summer in Stockholm I astonished myself getting three Etro scents: Shaal Nur, Magot and Palais Jamais.

Shaal Nur was the most obvious choice for me: incensy Oriental with citrusy top notes, it reminds me a bit of Shalimar.

Magot isn't "my type" at all but I love it anyway! ;D Surprisingly it's the one of my Etros that gets the most compliments.

I disliked Palais Jamais at first but something about it fascinated me and kept me going back. Now I couldn't be without it! It's aromatic and medicinal, bitter and green, makes me feel better when I'm under the weather.

Little by little more and more Etro scents have creeped into my collection: Ambra, Heliotrope, Patchouly... :

I would describe Etro house note as musty, antiquated, museum-like and it's not surprising that their scents are not to everyone taste. But they are just the thing for a bookworm like me! ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Another vote for Etro! I had to since they're an Italian house and I like Shaal Nur.

Well, technically, one could argue Gucci's scent line as spearheaded by Tom Ford isn't even Italian at all. ŹBut then most of these scents are created by noses who are, for the most part, French, aren't they?
    Very true!

Etro for me too - by a mile.

Basically for the same reasons other basenoters posted before me, and if I may add a very, very shallow one ... their boutique in Milan is to die for. Honest.

Three of my most favorite scents ever: Shaal Nur, Theorema and Moschino. I picked Etro for overall though considering both men's and women's scents.

Ladylonestar

I eyed Fendi for quite awhile before finally selecting Etro.

I voted for Etro too, but I have a couple scents from Fendi and from Gucci that I'm happy with all the same.

I don't think Etro is perfect as a maker though. A few of their offerings (I think I've only smelled a half-dozen) are nice but lacking the ooomph that makes them great. If I were to group them all and the house's concept I'd say they're all kind of feel-goody scents. Even my favorites, Messe de Minuit and Vetyver.

Still they're the best house and deserve my vote.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Another vote for Etro, since I like their scents overall best. Other houses have one or maybe two scents that I like (e.g. Gucci, Fendi, Armani) but that's it. Must admit that when shopping in Italy I'd go for LV, Santa Maria Novella or Profumi di Firenze anyday over the major houses.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Yes, I agree, Etro is a wonder...I have slowly amassed a huge collection...Shaal Nur and Patchouli are next on my list. BUT, I voted for Biagiotti! I love almost everything she's done. Emotions was a huge surprise because it wore totally differently on the skin then on paper or from the bottle - I get a sandalwood and berry accord that just smells better and better every time I wear it... I wish she would do a men's version. Both Venezia and Roma for men and for women are total winners in my book...I wish I had held onto my Venezia for women...Even Tempore is pretty good...Of course the Acqua di Roma scents were embarassing...

marlen

Of the ones you mentioned... ETRO!
    Groundbreaking differences from the norm. I LOVE Messe de Miniuit! Wear it for myself. Haven't found others that I couldn't live without however.

If Hermes was on there I may have given them a vote.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    If Hermes was on there I may have given them a vote.
    Ah, chˇrie, but Herm¸s is French...

None of the above. :-/ Diana de Silva would be my fave.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I THOUGHT so! I guess I thought Tig was saying that Hermes was Italian...but I reread her post.