Code of Conduct

Thread: Magnolia...?

Default Magnolia...?

My GF likes Marc Jacobs a lot. I think it smells similar to J-PG's "Fragile." What is the main note that makes me think those two smell similar? Is it magnolia? I wonder if it is magnolia because I just smelled L'Occitane's "Magnolia" the other day, and it reminds me of the other two.

If that note is in fact magnolia, can you name some other women's perfumes that feature strong magnolia notes? Even more interesting--are there men's colognes that feature magnolia?
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Default Re: Magnolia...?

Fragile has a lot of tuberose in it. Mark Jacobs is mainly gardenia. Gardenia and magnolia when used in perfumes are always made with a blend of other floral and synthetic notes since there is no way to extract the scent from the real flowers.

Maybe someone else can clarify further.

Edit: Just did some research and there seem to be a means of extracting gardenia nowadays, but it's so expensive it is rarely used.

Sorry, I don' t know of any men's scents with magnolia. L'Instant Woman is heavy on the magnolia.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Tech_Radiance
    Sorry, I don' t know of any men's scents with magnolia.  L'Instant Woman is heavy on the magnolia.
    Arghhh! Can't believe I forgot about L'Instant. Silly me.

CdG2. It's unisex :-)
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

Wow, now I'm even more confused! :P

Does anyone else smell a similarity between J-PG Fragile, Marc Jacobs (women's version), and L'Occitane Magnolia? Does L'Instant Woman smell like any of those? ???
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

One I have sampled, that I‚ve never forgotten for women is ElizabethWs Magnolia (I have not bought it yet)

http://www.elizabethw.com/shp/shopdi...p;cat=Magnolia

Comments online: Summer nights. Romance. America‚s old south white magnolia petals deepened with saffron and sandalwood mingle with riviera mimosa and gardenia.

My comments. I loved this all the way through. I would call it a sharp floral, and it was long lasting on me.

8) CURIOUS, from Britney Spears, is heavy on Looosiana magnolia. I've tried it . . . very pleasant fragrance. Scentiments has the tester for $39.99. I know . . . it's not cheap . . . but it smells good, and the bottle is lovely.

MY absolute fav Magnolia is Jala St barth. The notes are Pink Magnolia, frangipani & Italian Jasmine. Rich, Lush & oh so girly!!

Sorry, I don't know of any men's fragrances that feature magnolia.

Ladylonestar

To my nose, Jardins de Bagatelle has an obvious magnolia note, stronger on opening but prominent throughout, I think.  Ormonde Jayne's Sampaquita has magnolia in the top notes, but not the *feature* floral that I can tell.

If you go to the Basenotes "Directory" at the top menu to the left, you can type in "magnolia" and it will pull up fragrances with magnolia as a note.

Edited to correct typos, thank goodness. ;D

Elizabeth W makes a fabulous Magnolia scent-called Magnolia. It is not expensive and quite lovely.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    Does anyone else smell a similarity between J-PG Fragile, Marc Jacobs (women's version), and L'Occitane Magnolia? Does L'Instant Woman smell like any of those?  ???
    Others may disagree, but to my nose, JPG Fragile and Marc Jacobs smell nothing like L'Instant de Guerlain for women. I've never sampled the L'Occitane Magnolia.