Code of Conduct

Default Re: Smelled Aromatics Elixir on a girl today

Oh it's incredible in moderation on warmed skin. It smelled so woodsy and warm on her. I haven't worn it in a long time, but I found that it worked better on the chest/collarbone/neck area the best. It definitely has to have warmth or it runs the chance of going bitter. It's probably one of the most finicky fragrances I know of. Put on to much and you'll never get past those top notes. The dry down is so warm and heavy on the vetiver. The florals that stand out are ylang ylang and rose. It's an unusual scent. But if wears well on someone, look out! The best way wear it is to hold it about a foot away from the collarbone spray once....and make sure not to get it in your face because it doesn't even begin to go away for 12 hours. Even if you wash it's still there.

Default Smelled Aromatics Elixir on a girl today

Oh man it smelled incredible on her. Completely different than what it's like in the bottle. I just couldn't stop sniffing the air. It was intoxicating. Not many scents have done this to me. Took on a woody oriental odor with her. She was just wafting all over the place. I'm beginning to think all the aromachological hype for this fragrance is really true. When she told me it was AE I couldn't believe it. I still think it's one of the most misunderstood scents out there. People end up hating it because they spray alot and don't give it time to mature. I think it's more along the lines of parfum than eau de parfum. They really should offer this in a dab on bottle with a screw off lid. I've been wondering about the EDT also, is it the same scent, or is it different? Alot of people hate the lotion but I think it's alright, definitely a little sweeter than the spray, more along the lines of Paloma Picasso or Diva.

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I've tried this *so* many times, wanting to appreciate it - if only for its cult status (I'm shallow like that). Either my skin reacts really badly to it, or the Orange Ladies in Brown Thomas have been putting something extra in the tester for the past four years.

I've yet to smell it on anybody else, but if the myth is correct AE must be quite something on the "right" people.

PS: If anyone on this forum happens to be / will travel to Dublin soon, do make your way to Brown Thomas. Their perfume sales are truly sensational.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by anthem81
    The best way wear it is to hold it about a foot away from the collarbone spray once....and make sure not to get it in your face because it doesn't even begin to go away for 12 hours. Even if you wash it's still there.
    I find the best way to apply it is to go outside in the open air, hold the bottle at arm's length facing AWAY from the body, away from children and small animals, spray, and then run through it as fast as you can!

Gorgeous fragrance.

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I find the best way to apply it is to go outside in the open air, hold the bottle at arm's length facing AWAY from the body, away from children and small animals, spray, and then run through it as fast as you can!
    ;D It is almost frightening in it's intensity, isn't it?
    I'm still crazy about it, though. It's the first scent that came to my mind on that earlier thread, "Where Have All the Chypres Gone?" I had the pleasure a few months ago of watching two very charming young women stop at the Clinique counter and ask to sample it: their reactions were hilarious. "OMG!!!" both of them squealed, but they both kept returning for another sniff, goading each other to inhale even deeper. After all the bland, blah, pink-fruit-water scents they had already sampled, I'm sure this was a scent that made an impression on them.

They really should offer this in a dab on bottle with a screw off lid.
    I keep mine decanted into a roll-on bottle: it's a revelation how discreet it can be when only a few drops are dabbed on.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    ;D It is almost frightening in it's intensity, isn't it?  
    Yes, it is. Frightening, too, how many people you can injure with over-application. :-[

I had the pleasure a few months ago of watching two very charming young women stop at the Clinique counter and ask to sample it: their reactions were hilarious.  "OMG!!!" both of them squealed, but they both kept returning for another sniff, goading each other to inhale even deeper.  After all the bland, blah, pink-fruit-water scents they had already sampled, I'm sure this was a scent that made an impression on them.
    What a delightful story! Thanks for sharing that, Mark. I would have loved to have seen that.  

I keep mine decanted into a roll-on bottle: it's a revelation how discreet it can be when only a few drops are dabbed on.  
    Yes. A roll-on is perfect for Aromatics Elixir, I think. I find the best way to decant it is to go outside in the open air, hold the AE in one hand at arm's length, facing AWAY from the body, away from children and small animals; hold the roll-on bottle in the other hand at arm's length; spray the AE into the roll-on as quickly as possible; now just drop the AE onto the grass, just let it fall -- no time to re-cap -- and grab the roller ball apparatus, shove it into the bottle and screw the cap on QUICKLY, people, QUICKLY! Pick up the AE, put the cap on it and put it to the back of a high cabinet out of reach of children and, of course, small animals.

Gorgeous fragrance.

AE is very dear to my heart, especially since I was wearing it when I met my (current) husband. It's our "anniversary" pefume, and its sillage is unparalleled. Loney is right - run through a spritz of it, because it's incredibly easy to OD on it It'll often stay on your clothes even after you wash them. ??? Very, very classy stuff but a stinker if overapplied.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    It'll often stay on your clothes even after you wash them.  ???  Very, very classy stuff but a stinker if overapplied.
    Fabulous "residue" on sweaters and shirts, I think. And even on a cashmere throw I had draped across a chair.

I like AE,but remember it is parfum strenght and needs a light hand. When I used to wear it,a total man catcher! I swear it is true.

I get sort of violet feel like Jolie Madame from AE.

The edt is the same fragrance but easier to wear for many.

Incenso I am in Belfast,have not been to Brown Thomas for long time. Love that store.
    DONNA

Just some useless info. I have a bottle of synthetic iris/orris called irisalane and I really get quite a bit of that in AE.

Yes! You could be found gasping for breath! LLS and I have discussed this one before.
    It is a captivating scent. I believe I would spray it into a roll on and put on tiny dabs of it. In fact...I think I may have to get some....surely somebody is ready to pitch theirs to save their lives! ;D

Doesn't it have some body products that are lighter? Iheard it did.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    Doesn't it have some body products that are lighter?  Iheard it did.  
    I don't know, but I know I didn't find the body creme "lighter" at all. Again, it might have been my application technique (slathering). I find the best way to apply the body creme is to go outside in the open air... well, you know the routine.

Oh, woe is me! Beings as I love strong fragrances, I now have a bottle on the way. I best be lying down when I open my next Visa bill. I bought AL when it first hit the market but the memory of its scent eludes me. I do remember that the lure was that it supposedly smelled different on each individual person. Hopefully, it will take a liking to me!

JAG

Of all of the scents that I have ever worn in my lifetime, when I wear AE, I get more compliments than you can imagine. Compliments from both men and women! At one time I did not like this scent at all. Then at one place I worked, one of my bosses wore this as her signature scent and I loved it on her. I went out and bought the edp and the body lotion. When I started wearing it, I received compliments everywhere I went without fail!
    I think that this is the type of scent that certain people can wear, and some cannot. Sometimes, I only wear the body lotion and that, in itself, is enough scent.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARDKAY
    Of all of the scents that I have ever worn in my lifetime, when I wear AE, I get more compliments than you can imagine.  Compliments from both men and women!  
    I understand you completely Charkday. AE has been my signature for many years now and I start freaking out when the juice level in the bottle looks low. I always buy the 100 ml and never have less than 2 body lotions sitting on my dresser. I dont know if I OD when I wear it because I always get compliments.

I have to face the fact that I am not one for subtle perfume nor those that are too close to the skin. Bring on the sillage! 8)

Yes, Iman, I panic too when I see my AE bottle getting low ;D Fortunately, the last time that happened I swapped with someone who hated it and ended up with a nice, new bottle of the stuff. I'm rarely at the right place at the right time so was delighted that I was for once!

It sure is a man trap. Not quite sure what it is about it, but my man still loves it.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I bought a 1.7 oz bottle yesterday, and I think it wears very well on me. I get more sandalwood and vetiver on my skin, not much patchouli at all. The scent does have a very true, very strong rose scent. Wonder what type of rose it is. The combination of the chamomile and rose give it an almost tea-like odor at first. The dry down is breathtaking though, very dramatic. Everywhere you go people notice the scent, it's SO different than what most people are wearing. I've alread had 5 compliments. I truly believe that the reason AE is still around is from people smelling it on others and then buying it. It's all word of mouth. I only remember seeing one advertisement for it and it wasn't glamorous in the slightest, just a huge picture of the bottle and a description of it's aromacological properties. I for one love the bottle and the packaging, clean and sober and so Clinique. I think this is the most classic fragrance made in the last 40 years. I can smell it's influence in so many fragrances:

Aramis 900
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Coriandre
    Halston
    Diva
    Paloma Picasso
    Eau de Soir
    La Perla

All of these owe a huge nod to Aromatics Elixir. Sometimes I just wonder what Bernard Chant was thinking or feeling when he created this scent. I think it's his best work and a truly complex and refined scent. It smells like a million bucks. Guerlain, who? LOL  ;D

Also, I forgot to mention, I get mintiness in the first half of this? I don't see mint as a note, but I can definitely smell it. Also what in the world is palmarosa?

<<what in the world is palmarosa?>>

Isn't that where Ben, Hoss and Little Joe lived with their cook Hop Sing?
    Current favorites: Jo Malone Rose Water and Vanilla, L'Artisan Traversee du Bosphore, Hermes Eau Claire des Merveilles, Parfumerie Generale Praline de Santal

but I can definitely smell it. Also what in the world is palmarosa?
    Geranium

Quote Originally Posted by mercurygirl
    <<what in the world is palmarosa?>>

Isn't that where Ben, Hoss and Little Joe lived with their cook Hop Sing?
    [move] ;D ;D[/move]