Code of Conduct

Default Youth Dew in the tub

I know alot of people use it because the EDP spray is very heady, but how is the bath oil when actually used as bath oil?

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Youth Dew in the tub

Well, of course I'm sure you know, that's the original intent of Youth Dew bath oil, and it's also the only way I was allowed to use it long ago as a young girl. It's still quite rich and intoxicating and long-lasting, but to my nose, it's not the same -- to me it's lighter and there's something just a shade or half shade off when I smell it. Also, today's Youth Dew Bath Oil is not as thick and oily as that of old. Back in the day, it was so thick and concentrated, so potent, that barely the tiniest drop was all that was needed in the bath water. I could dump half a bottle into the water today and still not get the intensity of that long-ago Youth Dew. Seems I recall a Youth Dew Milk Bath as well but could be thinking of something else. It was an aunt of mine that gave me my first Youth Dew bath oil -- she carried hers in her purse and showed me how to dab the slightest amount at the throat and on each wrist.

I have some of the oil that I got as a sweet gift from Ladylonestar. A little goes a long way, so you don't have to turn your bath into an oil spill to get wonderful fragrance from it. It like it quite a bit...and the bathroom smells amazing for quite a while afterward.

HEY there Sharil! How ya been?

I have some of the Youth Dew Bath oil, and I agree that it takes just a little to give a wonderful scent to the water.
    I only have experience with the latest reincarnation, so I can't give LadyL's commentary on vintage vs. newer versions. I think I remember a Milk Bath version, too, in years past.
    My first bottle of Youth Dew was a tiny 1/8 oz bottle of the perfume which came in a tiny leather case similar to a leather case for a lipstick. Wish I had saved it--but it was many years ago--and before Estee had any other scents at her counters.

MJH

I remember reading that Youth Dew was originally introduced as a bath oil in an attempt to overcome the perceived Puritanism of many American women of the time. After all, not everyone wore fragrances, but everyone presumably bathed, and a bath oil would be accepted by women who otherwise would have felt 'decadent' buying perfume for themselves. To this day, this is the only fragrance my very conservative mother wears, and she only uses the bath oil.

As open as I am to trying women's scents, I can't bring myself to ever sample Youth Dew on my skin: there are some boundaries I'll always respect. On the other hand, I can highly recommend the bath oils from Florence Gunnarson:
    http://www.florencegunnarson.com/collection.htm

I have the bath oil but must confess that I've never tried it in the tub! One of these days, I'll give it a try.

Ok I'm going to the US next week and I'll pick a bottle of this precious bath oil. The bath oil isn't available in Belgium.
    I'm thinking of getting Calyx aswell, yet another unavailable product over here.

I tried some in the tub but it made the tub slippery. Since then, I use it as perfume and, to perfume the bath, just spray in a few sprays of edp. Slightly backwards but it works for me.

I *have* to have bubbles in my tub, so I use Kiss My Face Patchouli Bath Gel & a touch of Youth Dew bath oil. After rinsing off, if I don't need much moisture, a touch of the bath oil slipped over damp skin is delightful. The bottles I have of the bath oil are pretty potent. If I use more than just a drop or so I'm overwhelmed by the fragrance.

I also like the idea of the few spritzes of the edp in the bath water. I find I prefer wearing a touch of the bath oil as perfume rather than the edp, and it would be a good way of using up the spray.

((I saw the Youth Dew parfum at an EL outlet store and am now kicking myself I didn't pick it up. Such a gorgeous bottle with the flower design on the daubber.))

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    On the other hand, I can highly recommend the bath oils from Florence Gunnarson:
    http://www.florencegunnarson.com/collection.htm
    Thanks for the link Mark- I haven't seen these before, although I have read about Ms. Gunnarson.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!