Code of Conduct

Default SSD II Sunday January 2nd: Shalimar

Sunday January 2nd will be the second Scent Synchronization Day here in the Basenotes "ladies' room" and the scent in question is Guerlain Shalimar. Everyone is most welcome to participate!

So next Sunday, please post your impressions, opinions and stories, whatever the SSD and Shalimar inspire you to write!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SSD II Sunday January 2nd: Shalimar

Mmmm...Shalimar. Smoky and mysterious vanilla. I suspect that a few "modern" fragrances drew inspiration from this classic...

Addict
    Bulgari Black
    Gucci EDP
    etc, etc

OK will get the Shalimar out for the day. I actually voted for Habanita,but no worries I do love Shalimar.
    DONNA

GREAT! I love Shalimar and it's perfect for the Holiday Season.

Donna, I voted for Coco (I'm working on Sunday) but I'm always ready to wear Shalimar! I just hope my workmates won't mind. ;D

Donna, I love Habanita as well! I couldnt say which I love more, Shalimar or Habanita? Or Eau de Cartier or Coco or Opium? It depends on the mood and the day. I love all of them equally............

This came just in time as only in the past month or so....I've fallen for the pure parfum...it totally changed my mind about wearing Shalimar. Always loved it on others...loved the memory on my mother...just couldn't understand why the edt didn't smell the same...Now...I know...Give me the parfum and the body cream and I'm a happy camper.

I'll be there with my (vintage) bottle of Shalimar! This was a tough one.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I'll join you too! I love Shalimar in all it's forms, but will probably wear the vintage parfum over a tad of body cream.

Here we go!

Sprayed Shalimar already last night after sauna so I woke up smelling the final drydown of it, that famous "whispering about irises" stage, what a wonderful way to start a day! Added only a tiny spritz since I'm off to the office soon.

Enjoy Shalimar Synchronization Day!

Shalimar day has arrived. Had a bit of a panic yesterday as I thought I had put something else on!LOL Then I realized it was today!

I decided to do something different with Shalimar,I have a bottle of the edp in splash which I normally dislike decant into a spray. But today I got out the bottle and dabbed. This Shalimar is about 10 years old kept in a satin lined box out of the light. It was a prize I won on an evening with Roja Dove so treasure it.

I have not worn Shalimar for quite a while now,she has not been calling to me,perhaps she is sulking. So this was a true rediscovery for me. There is something magical in the first hit of top notes of Shalimar,sorry the newer revamped bottle just does not have it. The smooth bottle has a soft lemon feel,which is not Shalimar to me. Yes it has the lemon but more rosewood giving a woody feel. The dry down has the famous playdoe smell,heliotrope to me strangely almond like amongst all that balsam,opopanax and civet. Yes there is the vanilla which she is also famous for,but not sweet sugary vanilla
    more carmel like even a little burnt which gives edge. Shalimar has a unusual quality which prickles on the nose. I was thinking of what it was and the word prickles is what suddenly came to me.

Shalimar sensual,sexy and lush.

Hangs head and admits I should wear Shalimar more and yes I should have voted you First!
    DONNA

Wearing Shalimar again ( 5 days in a row.. only exception was yesterday ) I simply cannot help to wonder why it took me so long to find this treasure. It simply melts into the skin.. lingering.. warm, strong, seductive, and yet sublte. Somehow I think my skin must have been missing sth, as it seems to drink the drops greedily when I apply them.... as if it just can«t get enough
    One of the reasons it took me so long to get it, was that I had only tried the EdT and EdP spray bottles.. and sth in the top notes really put me of.. it was a flat, metallic, cold note... I couldn«t believe it was the same scent I had all the raves about. Until I tried the parfum.. at first it exploded on my skin.. vanilla.. ..rose..wood..and after a few minutes it had this warm, close to the skin.."watch out.. I«m armed and dangerous" - feeling. I get the civet deep down.. but not enough to make it unpleasant.. just enough to make it real.
    So.. another "Shalimar-victim here".. and I love it.

Happy new year to all of you

Many thanks, Donna and Lille My! Loved to read your Shalimar pieces. :-*

I'm wearing the mere EdT and couldn't bathe in it or layer with the b&b stuff (like I do in the privacy of my own home ;D) because I'm at the office today. Still I can get a whiff every now and then, especially when I warm up when drinking a cup of tea and it's dreamy. But I simply must get my paws on the parfum!!!

I know I've sent this link before but I just love it!
    http://marn.diaryland.com/audrey.html

tigs.. thank you very much for the link.. I understand why you love it. I makes me even more grateful, that I too.. finally found Shalimar :-*

Wearing Shalimar today also, edt over parfum. I love all Shalimar versions, even the often maligned edt -- those Bergamot, hesperdes notes are like an aromatherapy boost to me. I don't find them flat, cold or metallic at all but like a burst of sunshine. My sister only wears Shalimar and only likes the edt or cologne versions because she prefers their top notes. She thinks the edp and parfum are too heavy, so to each their own. I'm happy they have different versions to enjoy!

This is perfect because I really enjoy Shalimar parfum!

Ladylonestar

I no longer own Shalimar. I gave up buying it several years ago, the last bottle smelling too much of alcohol and just too chemical in general (perhaps that's the "metallic" note I hear about). It was not the Shalimar "of old", not the Shalimar I remembered. Even though my Guerlain preference was always Chamade rather than Shalimar, every time I smelled Shalimar on someone, I would purchase a bottle, or, if I still had one on hand at the time, I would get it out and wear it. I don't believe I ever finished off a bottle of Shalimar, however. Back then I had a nasty habit (a habit that makes me shudder today) of throwing away perfumes I hadn't worn in awhile, or that I just didn't like. The last bottle of Shalimar I had was actually a gift from my husband, who had sniffed it at the Guerlain counter and thought it was sexy. I was pretty upset by this "gift" because just the year before I had purchased a gift set for myself and ended up sending it to my niece. But, it was a gift from my husband, so I sprayed some on and when I applied it, even he thought it was horrible and not at all like what he had smelled at the Guerlain counter. So I sent that bottle to my sister, who reported back to me that it burned her skin, reddened her arms and even blistered a small area. Wow. So I was done with Shalimar forever. Until today...

Today I am wearing Shalimar pure parfum, courtesy of Glorious1. This is beautiful stuff. There's nothing chemical about it, and no alcohol fumes burning my nose or my eyes. I asked my son's opinion and he doesn't like it -- he said it smells "old and musty." I asked him if he meant "powdery" and he said it was definitely powdery but it just smelled old and musty to him. I asked Mr. Ladylonestar's opinion and he said he thinks it's "a little on the sweet side, powdery, and very familiar." "What about sexy?" I asked. "Yep. That, too," he said, shoving me out of the way to get out to his car and on to Home Depot. Eau de Home Depot... now there's a scent that would turn that man on.

Thanks, Tig, for organizing SSDII for us! And thanks, O Glorious One, for the pure parfum Shalimar -- a definite "must have" for 2005. I hope everyone is enjoying their Shalimar today -- I'm thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's opinions and impressions! :-*

Ah, vintage Shalimar EDC it is. I despise the current version and will not wear it because it smells blatantly of chemicals and has lost its gentleness and subtlety.

I must try the parfum if I can find it in the vintage. Mr. Blue is oblivious today to anything other than football. I'm doing my best to perfect my shape as to looking like one, now if I could just smell like one
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Thanks for your posts HTR, Hound, Lady L and Blue!

Shalimar is quite new to me: three years ago I went to Stockholm and had decided to buy a Classic at the tax free parfumerie. I ended up testing Chanel no 5 and Shalimar.

The funniest thing was that I had disliked Shalimar for years, a friend wore it, mother's workmate wore it, I recognized it instantly whenever I smelled it somewhere and sneered.

On the boat it was on special offer so I thought "I've never actually tried it on my skin so it's about time!"

I preferred it to #5 but asked also SA's opinion. She didn't recognize Shalimar and when I told her what it was she sniffed again and said that it was much softer on me than on most people. Well, remembering how Shalimar smelled on all those other women I had to agree... ;D

I got my Shalimar and it has been one of my favourites ever since. Mr Tigs was instantly smitten with it! And when I wore it first time publicly, I noticed several sheepish-looking men hovering around me at the Academic Bookstore. Maybe they heard those whispering irises...

Well........a recent convert here....I had given my Shalimar away. Never could wear the stuff. In my mind I remembered the way it smelled on my Mom. Beautiful, refined, like NO other. I just thought she wore it beautifully and it wasn't for this "spice queen". Well...that was until I actually bought (at Scentiments) a little purse spray of the "real deal". I tried on just a dab and it overtook me it was so strong...I brought it back and they gladly took it. That was it for me....
    Then.....I saw a really good deal on ebay one evening with my mouse and a glass of wine....I decided for $19.99 (the real parfum in the purse spray) I should certainly have it for my collection. Well........that was it! I was smitten from then on.
    I must say today I think I got a little carried away knowing the rest of you were keeping me company....put on one little tiny spray too much but am still enjoying it. The PARFUM is the only way to go. LOVE the body cream also.

MJH

I also wore Shalimar today: vintage EdC. I wore a bit last night to bed so I could enjoy the drydown this morning, then reapplied after my morning shower.

Even though Guerlain's publicity promotes Shalimar as the most feminine of scents, I don't feel 'girly' wearing it. When I wear it, I only wear a tiny spritz, and it blends with my skin so that I only notice shy little whispers of amber and sandalwood. IMO, with Shalimar, "less is more".

I noticed (when I was trying to find my 'most worn' scents yesterday by searching my SOTD posts) that I almost never post Shalimar as my SOTD, but it's actually one of my most-worn scents. I almost always save it for evenings at home, after I'm home from work and have taken a shower. Today was one of the few days I've actually worn it all day, while I was out shopping and visiting the Taft Museum. And my conclusion: I really need to wear it more often.

Thank You, Tig, for organizing SSDII!
    :-*

Many thanks for your posts, Glo and Mark!

And thanks, everyone for participating in SSD II!

Perhaps we'll have SSD III sometime in the spring...

Tig, I had to work today (actually, yesterday) also, and I only did 2 light spritzes of my edp sample. While I enjoyed the initial burst of fragrance, I could barely smell it after 15 minutes. :'( I guess I was too cautious. But I love how soft, textured, mysterious and quietly opulent it is. One day, I must try the parfum!

Thanks for your post, Plumeria!

Now there's another New Year resolution for me: to get Shalimar parfum! ;D