Code of Conduct

Default Your favourite Caron scent(s)?

Haven't tried most of these yet so am very curious to see how many votes they will get!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Your favourite Caron scent(s)?

I'm a newbie considering Caron fragrances and only have Pour un Homme and Lšnarchiste, so I really shouldn't vote, but I did anyway ;D

Default EN AVION  , ALPONA

En Avion is my all time favorite "extrait de parfum"!
    I am wearing it now as I 'm typing this; here is what Turin had to say about it:

"Slender, toned and Olympian like a tutelary deity from the Art Deco period, En Avion is simultaneously the purest and most orchestrated of all the Caron scents. It is built on a slender and intoxicating note which reminds one of mint and is supported by the silky and rich base one finds as subdued versions in the numerous creations of the same house. It is a scent for an Amazon from the thirties; of a rare and sound elegance. "

My second choice is Alpona:

Alpona created by Michel Morsetti was a subtley enchanced harmony of orange,bergamot,rose,and jasmine blended with citrus,grapefruit and patchouli. Thyme,myrrh,sandal,musk and oakmoss reinforced the fruity structure like Narcisse Noir.
    A typical Caron perfume a strange compromise between luscious fruits,sweet rosins and fruit drops. Alpona,is this in memory of the Alps where Felicie sometimes stays and where Ernest passes through on his way to Geneva. 'Fired by an insatiable appetite for extraordinary scents, Caron discovered in 1939 a new universe, hitherto unknown in perfumery: the garden of the Hesperides. Caron defied the nymphs Hesperides, guardians of this fabulous place, and stole from the Greek gods the secret of their immortality, the legendary golden apples. And this was the origin of Alpona, the first fragrance to combine flowers with lemon and grapefruit. These citrus fruits with scent also known as 'hesperidean' in the jargon of noses, give the perfume it's startling modernity, conveying the gentle freshness of the sunburst fruits basking in a Mediterranean orchard in the last foothills of the Alps. Alpona, a fresh, tart fragrance, recommended for immoderate indulgence by every woman who bites into life like a juicy apple!' Olfactive Family: Chypre fruity floral. Head: Lemon, grapefruit, Bergamot rose. Heart: Orange, jasmine, orchid, thyme. Base: Patchouli, myrrh, cedar, sandalwood, musk, oakmoss.

I actually voted for quite a few of them!

But Alpona is my very favourite of all the Carons. Sublime nectar of the gods. Loved the apple story as it fits what I think of Alpona.
    DONNA

I voted for quite a few. Caron and Guerlain are my all time favourite houses as many of you know.

Mylene, thank you so much for the wonderful information. Are you the POL member called Je t'aime melancholie? I just wondered after reading your signature on here. Isn't there a French chanteuse called Mylene Farmer?

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

In my honest opinion, the original 1933 FLEURS DE ROCAILLE is one of the greatest French bouquet fragrances, ever made. It's effervescent, sophisticated, chic, timeless, elegant, and everything else a classic has to be. This is the scent that Al Pacino singles out, at the conclusion of SCENT OF A WOMAN. I think that Nacrisse Noir is another, absolutely fabulous fragrance that to this moment, is chic beyond expression. It's a little 'quirkier' than Fleurs de Rocaille, but in a restrained, provocative manner. I love Infini, too. That one is a little more 'modern' smelling, to me . . . but by no means do I mean that to be pejorative. By 'modern,' I'm mean that compared to some other Caron florals, Infini has more bite and assertion. Still, it's classic and very easy to wear. For glamour, sophistication, and propriety, these old Caron fragrances are just great.

There are many Carons I have yet to smell, and many yet to truly test, however, the one Caron I liked immediately upon sniffing a group of testers was Narcisse Noir. I owned at one time or another Parfum Sacre, Nuit de Noel, Caron Pour un Homme, Fleur de Rocaille (new), Le 3rd Homme, Royal Bain de Champagne and one or two of the Eaux...NN was sublime, but I didn't enjoy wearing it. PS was incredible and I finished a small 5 ml decant - the drydown was just amazing! Still, I chose not to swap for a whole bottle...no, the other scents above are not amazing. However, Poivre, Tabac Blond, Narcisse Blanc, Narcisse Noir, Un Pois...these are Caron to me. These are the heart of Caron. Although l'Anarchiste is a modern creation, I simply love it. It's deep complex base suggests Caron to me...a mystery to get lost in and a true delight to experience.

Sadly, Caron is unavailable here and so I will have to wait until I can visit Saks NYC once more to test them yet again! On my last visit, I discovered Pois and actually regretted having to wash my arm.

marlen

My pick is Parfum SacrÄ with Nuit de Noel a close second. I must say though that I haven't yet visited the Caron boutique in NYC. I think I will have to save up money for a year before entering because Caron is my favorite house, I expect to fall in love with several of them.

Tabac Blond is the ultimate Caron.
    In my opinion its one the best fragrances ever made!

L'Anarchiste is 2nd.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

And the winner is Pour un Homme! :-*

First runners-up: Fleurs de Rocaille, Tabac Blond and Yatagan.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

It just shows what a special perfume house Caron actually is. Most perfumes got at least 1 vote. I am surprised that Muguet didn't get a vote though. There are lots of Lily of the Valley fans out there.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Default Re: EN AVION ╩, ALPONA

Quote Originally Posted by Mylene_Farmer
    En Avion is my all time favorite "extrait de parfum"!
    First of all, what is an extrait? ╩Second, is there a site on the internet where the older fragrances can be purchased as in Alpona, Tabac Blond, Poivre, En Avion, Pois, etc. in either parfum or eau de parfum spray? ╩I have Infini and Nocturnes in toilette form but they both totally disappear in a matter of minutes. ╩I know 1st Perfume has a large selection although many are "out of stock," and the costs of the parfums they do have seem to be closer in price to real perfume. ╩I may be wrong as I am a "sprayer" and have never bought parfum.

My favorites are Lady Caron, Parfum Sacre and Fleur de Rocaille (the only toilette that sticks around). ╩I have Bellodgia, Violette Precieuse, Rose and Farnesiana, which I like in the order listed. ╩I'm not sure I've encountered a Caron that I would turn away but some are definitely in a class all their own.

JAG

Barry aske dme to write a little more about Un Pois, so here goes...

Pois is an extreme powdery floral. It starts off like a single violin, a sweet floral blossom note, but quickly builds to an entire orchestra of strings. I'm neither a huge fan of sweet florals (Creed Fantasia de Fleurs - beautiful, but not for me), but this was absolutely striking.

The fragrance is meant to evoke the sweet pea flower, but I don't really get this at all from the fragrance. There is something woodsy and dry in the base, and I believe there has to be jasmine and rose in there as well, as the heart notes remind me ever-so-slightly of Guerlain L'Heure Bleu. But there was something intoxicating and sublime about this scent, the longer I wore it, the more I enjoyed it. I wish I could describe it better!

The drydown was all powder and petals, a little like L'Artisan's Jacinthe de Bois, but again, there was a woodsy powdery note carrying the floral bouquet. It is a little soft and sweet compared to the bold Pour un Homme, but if I can ever manage it, someday I'll find a bottle and enjoy this fragrance, wearing it for no one else but me!

marlen

Scenteur, I noticed your pic of Edina (Absolutely Fab) on your pic site. My son and I sat and watched my Ab Fab dvd's all Christmas eve while drinking champage. I love that show, you have excellent taste!!!! :

Quote Originally Posted by JAG

First of all, what is an extrait? ╩Second, is there a site on the internet where the older fragrances can be purchased as in Alpona, Tabac Blond, Poivre, En Avion, Pois, etc. in either parfum or eau de parfum spray? ╩I have Infini and Nocturnes in toilette form but they both totally disappear in a matter of minutes. ╩I know 1st Perfume has a large selection although many are "out of stock," and the costs of the parfums they do have seem to be closer in price to real perfume. ╩I may be wrong as I am a "sprayer" and have never bought parfum.

My favorites are Lady Caron, Parfum Sacre and Fleur de Rocaille (the only toilette that sticks around). ╩I have Bellodgia, Violette Precieuse, Rose and Farnesiana, which I like in the order listed. ╩I'm not sure I've encountered a Caron that I would turn away but some are definitely in a class all their own.

JAG
    Try Parfumelle. Thats where i bought my Tabac Blond in the parfum concentration.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

MJH

First of all, what is an extrait? Second, is there a site on the internet where the older fragrances can be purchased as in Alpona, Tabac Blond, Poivre, En Avion, Pois, etc. in either parfum or eau de parfum spray?
    Extrait = parfum. Only the Caron Boutiques in Paris and NYC will have the entire range of extraits (including the 'Urn Fragrances'), but selected Caron extraits are sometimes available at a few selected retailers and E-tailers, as well as on eBay.

I know The Perfume House in Oregon carries several of them:
    http://www.theperfumehouse.com/
    As Jeff indicated, Tabac Blond is available from Parfumelle in Dallas:
    http://www.parfumelle.com/cgi-local/...58f+1104689512
    Dragonfly00 on eBay sells a good range of Caron extrait samples:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Dragonfly-Sce...isplayZ2QQtZkm

The Caron Boutique in NYC doesn't have a website to order from: you'd have to call them to place an order (212-319-4888). They used to send samples for free, but I've read that they've started charging $5 apiece for them. They have semi-annual sales for established customers, though, and will include requested samples with your order. I've been trying to discipline myself to wait until they have a sale to place an order, and request a few more samples with my order.

edited to add:
    PS: My faves are Royal Bain, Pour un Homme, Yatagan and Tabac Blond. If I were a lady, I'd add Fleurs de Rocaille and Nocturnes. Being a 'fave' for me has to include being 'easy to wear': as much as I love Nuit de NoĹl, Bellodgia, Poivre, En Avion and Alpona, I find I save them for special occasions.

Thank you Marlen for an absolutely wonderful and poetic review. My heart is yearning to try Pois now.

Barry

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Try Parfumelle. Thats where i bought my Tabac Blond in the parfum concentration.
    Thanks a million Jeff. ╩Have now added this site to "My Favorites" list. ╩They have almost every one I'm looking for in parfum form (not that I will be making a bulk order).
    They also have one listed as Acasiosa Caron that I have never heard anyone mention. ╩At Perfume Encyclopedia, they list it as a 1924 floral with the spelling as Acaciosa. ╩A new one on me.

Thanks again!

Judy

Judy, this is the information that I have for Acaciosa.

'A brilliant mixture with exceptional savoir faire, this fragrance has remained among the greatest floral bouquets in international perfumery. Blossoms of orange, pineapple, jasmin and rose with a sensual ambergris background.'

Barry

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    Judy, this is the information that I have for Acaciosa.

'A brilliant mixture with exceptional savoir faire, this fragrance has remained among the greatest floral bouquets in international perfumery. Blossoms of orange, pineapple, jasmin and rose with a sensual ambergris background.'
    With that description, this may be one I will have to invest in -- unsniffed. It's just surprising that until tonight/today, I have never seen it posted anywhere. Maybe because I'm usually on the discounted sites, but even they carry many Carons.

Thanks for the info . . . this one will go on my "wish list."

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Extrait = parfum. ╩Only the Caron Boutiques in Paris and NYC will have the entire range of extraits (including the 'Urn Fragrances'), but selected Caron extraits are sometimes available at a few selected retailers and E-tailers, as well as on eBay. ╩
    Thanks Mark - I will add your sites to my list, also. ╩Oh, how I love browsing new sites. ╩As far as Caron in New York, I hate ordering samples but when you get into the high end perfumes, it's the only way to go. ╩Besides, it's driving me crazy with everybody talking about how great a particular Caron is and I don't have a clue what it smells like. ╩It's worth $5 just to find out I love it/hate it. ╩Then, I can put it to rest one way or another.

Now that I know what an extrait is, how about enlightening me on "urn fragrances." ╩It just never ends, does it!

Thanks, Judy ;D

Edited to add: Oh my gosh, if you had one iota of compassion, you would have left that Ebay site off. I mean, it has so much of the best stuff . . . and some are even sprays. Oh, I'm gonna be in so much trouble!

Judy, the 'urn' fragances are also known as 'Les Fontaines'. There are 12 Caron urn fragrances which are decanted out into bottles as the customer requires them. The urns are magnificent Baccarat creations with a small tap at the bottom. All the urn scents are extraits. Here is a list of them..
    Acaciosa
    En Avion
    Les Pois de Senteurs de Chez Moi
    Narcisse Blanc
    Or et Noir
    Rose
    Alpona
    Farnesiana
    Poivre
    Tabac Blond
    French Cancan
    N'Aimez que Moi

Hope that helps.

Barry

Roja Dove

Judy, the 'urn' fragances are also known as 'Les Fontaines'. There are 12 Caron urn fragrances which are decanted out into bottles as the customer requires them. The urns are magnificent Baccarat creations with a small tap at the bottom. All the urn scents are extraits. Hope that helps.
    Barry, it helps immensely. Walking into Caron and having my selection decanted from a Baccarat urn is beyond my comprehension. The epitome of elegance and class. Living on the other side of the tracks, it is doubtful I will ever find myself in that position, but the realization is inspiring.

Thanks, Judy

You will have to save up and visit New York, or better still, visit Paris and go to the Caron Montaigne Boutique...tee hee.

There used to be a lovely photo of the urns on the sadly departed Caron website.

Roja Dove

You will have to save up and visit New York, or better still, visit Paris and go to the Caron Montaigne Boutique...tee hee.
    You know, I could probably put off buying the Mercedes convertible until next month (so bored with last year's BMW) and postpone my Carribean cruise until late summer . . . yeah, that would work. Of course, I would have to work around the supervision of the olympic-size pool being installed opposite the stables on the estate, but I could always assign that task to one of the staff. Oh, it's just too much to think about right now. Someone please hand me a grape. LOL

;DJAG

MJH

Oh my gosh, if you had one iota of compassion, you would have left that Ebay site off. I mean, it has so much of the best stuff . . . and some are even sprays. Oh, I'm gonna be in so much trouble!
    ;D
    Well, then you're really gonna think I'm mean when I share my little secret: I've been able to snag several Caron parfums masquerading as miniatures on eBay! That's how I was first introduced to Caron parfums. Of course, once you're hooked, there's no turning back. I actually blame my later extravagant purchases from Caron NYC on my first Caron parfum purchase on eBay (╣ oz each of Tabac Blond, Bellodgia, Nocturnes and Fleurs de Rocaille......for less than $15 ).

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Well, then you're really gonna think I'm mean when I share my little secret: I've been able to snag several Caron parfums masquerading as miniatures on eBay! That's how I was first introduced to Caron parfums. Of course, once you're hooked, there's no turning back. ╩I actually blame my later extravagant purchases from Caron NYC on my first Caron parfum purchase on eBay (╣ oz each of Tabac Blond, Bellodgia, Nocturnes and Fleurs de Rocaille......for less than $15 ╩).
    Well, you've really done it now. Your redemption will come in the form of notifying me immediately upon locating anything that even remotely appears to be a quality deal on ebay with the exception of it being one for which you have lusted after. (See how kind I can be.) Once a purchased has been secured, forgiveness on my part shall be considered. ;D

Okay, I'm bagging my pennies and heading back to ebay! Gotta have 'em!!!

JAG

I have a sample of Acaciosa! I didn't ask for it but was included with a purchase from the Paris Boutique. I did ask for some samples and the sa gave me extra.

My Caron book says of Acaciosa created in 1929,Ernest Daltroff proposed to creat a traditional a floral bouquet in the grand manner of the house of Caron.

Notes of rose,jasmine,lily of the valley,orange blossom,l'ananas,vanilla,amber,sandalwood and musk.

Please forgive me I am writing from the French and though I understand what they are telling me I am not word perfect. I am not sure what l'ananas is thinking pineapple,correct me please.

OK now what the fragrance actually smells like! It is a beautiful creamy floral,as Caron excel at. So Ernest did his aim proud! What I actually get most from Acaciosa most is lily of the valley,I do not really like the smell of this flower in perfume. It tends like gardenia,honeysuckle and tuberose to go sickly sweet and cloying on me. But this blend in Acaciosa is smooth stays well behaved and does not try to leap up and strangle me.

If you love the great floral perfumes you must try Acaciosa. Not sure I would buy it to be truthful but I treasure the sample and like to wear now and then.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255
    If you love the great floral perfumes you must try Acaciosa. Not sure I would buy it to be truthful but I treasure the sample and like to wear now and then.
    Thanks Donna! The more I can mark off the list, the better. I don't wear lily fragrances very well; they seem to go flat. I'll opt for a deeper, richer scent.

JAG ;D

I missed the poll, so I can just add my favourites here - Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noel and Tabac Blond. I admit I haven't had a chance to try many Carons, but the ones I'd really love to add to my collection are Parfum Sacre, En Avion, Bellodgia, Coup de Fouet, Nocturnes and Fleurs de Rocaille. It would be a hazard for me to even enter their store, as you can see.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr