Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So what's Nu?

Default So what's Nu?

[Sigh] captivated yet again : You know how it goes...you have decants of so many scents that you sometimes forget what you've sampled and what you haven't.

So what's with Nu? It's a winnah!!!! ;D ;D Good grief, I can't believe I overlooked a whole quarter ounce or so that a dearheart sent to me. Initially, it made me think of sweaty leather. Ugh. And then....as it bloomed, it dug its lovely heels in and transformed into something uniquely outdoorsy, fresh, leathery and utterly captivating.

Dang it, Tigs...I think I first heard of this from you I gotta have more, much more, of this stuff.

Dear Loney, you did the same thing to me with Eau des Merveilles and I'm almost out of my first bottle already ;D ;D

Yet y'know, I almost feel sorry for those out there who don't love their perfumes as much as we all do! They're missing out on sooooo much!
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Default Re: So what's Nu?

I got some Nu edp at TJMaxx, and I love it. It figures I fall for it after it has been discontinued.
    It has this incensy woody thing going on, so perfect for fall!

Serpent

I don't think Nu has been discontinued. There are rampant rumors of its imminent discontinuation, but Nu is still listed on the Parfums Yves Saint Laurent website.

Serpent: Thanks for posting that link.
    That is a neat site.
    I lucked out in TJ maxx I got some soap, body cream and the edp.
    I guess since it is being pulled out of the stores.
    although I do know "out of stores" does not mean "discontinued", but I thought that Nu was the last trace of Ford that YSL wanted to get rid of.

Hello,

I've been told several times at big city department stores, that NU has been discontinued, in the United States. I don't know if that's true, but you can find NU listed at many websites, for purchase. Because I like bargains, I bought an EDP at Scentiments, for twenty dollars. I would describe this fragrance, as androgynous. There is an orchid note that makes itself known, about halfway through the drydown. In the end, I find the fragrance to be woody with incense, and pepper. In my opinion, both sexes can wear NU. I always get comments, when I wear it. They aren't necessarily compliments, but usually I'm asked what I'm wearing. NU is offbeat, but I find it to be, quite chic. The EDT is more floral, but still . . . to my nose, it's unisex. I find too, that the EDT changes more during drydown, than the EDP, much the way Cinéma does. Anyway, if you're willing to wear something unexpected . . . try this.

Sephora.com still lists the EDP, body cream, and soap on their website, too.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    There is an orchid note that makes itself known, about halfway through the drydown.  In the end, I find the fragrance to be woody with incense, and pepper....Anyway, if you're willing to wear something unexpected . . . try this.
    It could well be that the wood and pepper made my heart do a whoopsie 8), combined with that whiff of leather, the kind that squeaks its newness like a shiny new pair of cowgirl/cowboy boots.

Yes, Bonski, it is perfect for fall! I can see it working for me well into winter as a favorite comfort scent, too.

Hi FuFu . . .

Do you find NU to be unisex, or not?

Do you find NU to be unisex, or not?
    Oh, most definitely, mgarisbn, I would consider this unisex. I think it could be dynamite for either gender ;D ;D A guy could carry this one off very well! 8) Hopefully, my patient husband will let me dab some on him now that I think of it...

Ladylonestar

Et tu, Fufu?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Et tu, Fufu?  
    :P Hi Ladylonestar,

I know you can't cope with NU, and I am the first to admit that this is an UNUSUAL, fragrance. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't call NU a perfume, at all. Maybe more of a 'scent accessory?' Or, in CdG terminology, an 'odeur?' But NU does not give me a headache, and it does elicit comments. So, what the heck? I'll 'wear' one disc of it, out.

Let's put it this way.........
    Nu has been at Marshalls and TJ Maxx........You haven't seen Opium or Paris there.

I got some when it first came out and thought I liked it but gotta say....most unisex perfumes are not for me.

;D  Hi, Glorious!!  Ah, but I HAVE seen Opium at the 'Maxx.'  Very seldom, but a spare bottle here and there.  It wasn't that cheap, even at T.J.'s, but I have seen it.  You need to start camping out overnight, Glorious . . . you have to be there when the doors first open, or you miss the really good merchandise.  As for Paris . . . gosh, I can't remember . . . but, wait!  I HAVE seen some gift sets of Paris at T.J. Maxx, during Xmas!  Yes, I have. They looked a little flimsy, though. Like some things that may have 'happened by' someplace, in an alley. But I did see a few gift boxes, with Paris and what looked like a lotion or gel of some sort.  Anyway . . . I understand your feelings about NU.  I say it all the time . . . it is NOT mainstream.  But for me, it's an 'experience.

Blog Entries

Woohaa, welcome to the Nu world, Blue!

I've hoarded the b&b stuff from sales (the lotion, cream and soap are all divine!) and received EdP from perfume pals less enamoured with it. :

IMHO Nu is the ultimate 21st Century Film Noir Femme Fatale fragrance, many seem to disagree but to hell with them! ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Hello Tigrushka,

You sound a bit . . . tempestuous, today. You call NU a femme fatale fragrance . . . do you not find NU to be unisex, at all?

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    IMHO Nu is the ultimate 21st Century Film Noir Femme Fatale fragrance, many seem to disagree but to hell with them! ;D

Or rather, a big ole migraine to them!

In my case, the floral notes are what I've had difficulties with (to the headache-inducing stage) but I've discovered I'm made of stronger stuff than I thought! :-[
    I recently discovered (by way of Chamade Pour Homme) that my palette (or palate) for floral notes has expanded, so I've been revisiting scents that I would have found unwearable only a few months ago. Insensé, 212 Men, Nu: all have been re-evaluated with pleasing results.

And here I was nearly ready to ask Serpent about forming a Nu-Hater's Club.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Or rather, a big ole migraine to them!
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've been revisiting scents that I would have found unwearable only a few months ago. Insensé, 212 Men, Nu: all have been re-evaluated with pleasing results.

:
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

??? We've been talking about the NU EDP. Has anyone any comments about the 'men's NU,' which is the LIGHTER, EDT version?? I've seen the EDT marketed as NU MAN, NU HOMME, Nu for men, etc. Meanwhile, when it entered circulation, this too, was intended to be a women's fragrance. I have the EDT. It does have more florals, in it. Iris, Jasmine, and Orchid. It contains, less pepper. But to my nose, the drydown is still musky, with incense and woods. I would call this one androgynous, as well. Florals or no florals, there's just something piercing about this fragrance, that makes it wearable on a man. Maybe that's why I've seen it called NU MAN. ???

Ladylonestar

???  We've been talking about the NU EDP.  Has anyone any comments about the 'men's NU,' which is the LIGHTER, EDT version??  I've seen the EDT marketed as NU MAN, NU HOMME, Nu for men, etc.  Meanwhile, when it entered circulation, this too, was intended to be a women's fragrance.  I have the EDT.  It does have more florals, in it.  Iris, Jasmine, and Orchid.  It contains, less pepper.  But to my nose, the drydown is still musky, with incense and woods.  I would call this one androgynous, as well.  Florals or no florals, there's just something piercing about this fragrance, that makes it wearable on a man.  Maybe that's why I've seen it called NU MAN.   ???
    I had the EdP miniature, and I bought the bottle of EdT to see if it was more "wearable" for me. However, both versions, unfortunately, gave me 'orrible 'eadaches, 'enry 'iggins! I also didn't find them to be all that different. They now live very happily with Tigs. :-* As to whether or not it's unisex -- sure. I really have no idea why fragrances like NU, Kingdom, Le Baiser du Dragon, Narciso Rodriguez, Eau des Merveilles, Bandit were marketed exclusively to women. But then, I'm not sure why Coriolan and Habit Rouge are marketed exclusively for men either. ???

If you change your mind, Mark, just let us know! We welcome new members. We felt, however, that "Nu-Hater's Club" was too extreme a term. We're a peaceful group and are staunchly opposed to hatred and violence. In fact, we hate violent people and if any violent people try to slip in, we'll flat out kick the livin' daylights out of 'em! We've not decided on a name for our peaceful little group yet, but a few suggestions have been: "No-NUs is Good-NUs Club", "The NU Be Gone Group", "NU Busters", and my favorite, "YSL MY ASS(ociation)!" Sure, they don't make much sense, but neither does NU, so it's really tough to come up with a name because no one really knows what "NU" means. ??? Some of our members even feel NU should be sold with a bottle of Excedrin. (Well, okay -- this is MY suggestion actually). What do we do at our meetings? Well, not much really. It's what we DON'T do that matters -- we don't wear NU. We sit around and don't wear NU. But we have plans; for example, we plan to plan more activities, meaningful activities, in the future. ??? Where the heck is Serpent when you need him? :-[

:P Mr. Serpent has made his feelings eminently clear, about this fragrance. I do not argue with some of what he has to say. Nu IS an odd . . . smell. But sometimes, odd smells appeal to people. Sometimes I want to smell different. But Ladylonestar, I've got to tell you that just as with your Estée, THIS is the one scent, that gets comments for me. Some of the comments are enigmatic, but not all. I've had compliments . . . my hairdresser goes crazy over it. I wore Eau Sauvage for twenty odd years as a signature, because I loved it. But nary a compliment, came my way. :-? Besides, I bought NU, cheap.

Ladylonestar

:P  Mr. Serpent has made his feelings eminently clear, about this fragrance.
    Yep. He has. As have I. As many of us rightfully have, whether it's love it or don't love it. And probably we'll continue to do so. While still respecting each other and remaining close friends.

I do not argue with some of what he has to say.
    I do not argue with anything he has to say. We sometimes have differing opinions, but we don't argue about them.

Nu IS an odd . . . smell.
    Actually, I don't find NU all that odd-smelling. I am merely teasing my NU-loving friends. NU is somewhat sexy even, I think. It just happens to give me a headache from hell. And I simply find it out of place, packaging and all, among the other YSL fragrances. Merely my humble opinion.

But sometimes, odd smells appeal to people.
    I agree. I love Messe de Minuit and some people find it odd-smelling.

Sometimes I want to smell different.
    Me, too.

But Ladylonestar, I've got to tell you that just as with your Estée, THIS is the one scent, that gets comments for me.  Some of the comments are enigmatic, but not all.  I've had compliments . . . my hairdresser goes crazy over it.
    Fabulous!

I wore Eau Sauvage for twenty odd years as a signature, because I loved it.  But nary a compliment, came my way.  :-?
    I'm sorry to hear that. But... you loved it!

Besides, I bought NU, cheap.
    I know how you love a bargain!

damn,

I was interested in this because I saw it cheap, but I passed because I ended up getting some Kouros instead. I'm glad I got the Kouros, but still...It pisses me off how they won't let you open a box at Marshalls to smell something EVEN if there is no shrink wrap. And they moved all the fragrances up by the cash registers just to ensure this. >

Serpent

Please, don't drag me into another Nu war. Not so soon! I've got enough circular scars as it is. Let's let the Nu lovers have their thread to celebrate their scent. Play nice, mes enfants.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Play nice, mes enfants.
    Always. It's the only way to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Please, don't drag me into another Nu war. Ś Not so soon! Ś I've got enough circular scars as it is. Ś Let's let the Nu lovers have their thread to celebrate their scent. Ś Play nice, mes enfants.

Circular Scars!?!

LOL!

Hey that gives me an idea. Us guys could keep Nu in our back pockets like Skoal chewing tobacco. People would see the ring in our back pockets and just assume we were MANLY MEN!!! ...they'd be none the wiser.

Til' someone asks for a pinch!

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Circular Scars!?!
    From so many Nu lovers lobbing those bonko, compact-inspired bottles at poor little me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Et tu, Fufu?
    Yes, mon ami, Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem! (i.e., the Devil made me do it...)

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Woohaa, welcome to the Nu world, Blue!  
    Oh, and what a beautiful Nu world it is, Tigs! ;D ;D I already ordered a bottle of it on eBay, chalking it up on my I Want This Scent And I Want It NOW list. Even Mr. Blue remarked on how wonderful I smelled when I walked in the door last night. Yes, ultra-conservative I Want My Woman To Eat, Sleep, Breathe, Think, Act, and Smell Like A Woman Mr. Blue.

There I was for the longest time in a deadlock of disinterest, totally indifferent to such fanciful whims as trying something nu (pardon the pun) - my perfume pursuits had gone from simmer to cold lethargy. I hadn't noted any frags that piqued my fancy or beckoned to my charge card. Hah! Looks like I'm back in town again!

Maybe Nu was simply misspelled...

"Found in Southern and Eastern Africa, the gnu (pronounced g-nu or new) is a really unique animal that looks like a combination of many others. With its ox-like head, the mane of a horse and buffalo horns it may not be as attractive as our websites - but does have a lot of character."

Hi FuFu,

How interesting . . . I think I've run into a few of these creatures, on big city streets. Anyway, what has this to do with NU? My impression was that NU meant 'naked,' as in a naked body??

Serpent

"Nu" is indeed French for "naked." I think Nu is one of the more poorly named fragrances out there. Like it or not, it really doesn't speak to anything like skin or nudity or vulnerability. I think Nu is most definitely a scent that conceals rather than reveals.