Code of Conduct

Thread: L'heure Bleue

Default L'heure Bleue

I tested this one a while back at Dillard's in Ga. I remember it being floral/ambery (ambery like Ciara is ambery) with a tiny bit of powder. Not as powdery as Shalimar but powdery non the less. I keep thinking that it had a sweetness like Ciara but I can't really remember. I want to order a Guerlain parfum since I have a little Christmas money and I don't own any parfum (only sprays here) and I'm kinda thinking either Shalimar or L'heure Bleue. I have Mitsouko in EDP and while I find it's a really nice and complex fragrance...I also find it's a bit temperamental and has too much of a really ripe fruit thing going on. My mom loved it on me. i want something soft and romantic that's why I'm thinking Shalimar or L'Heure Bleue. I've heard LB is similar to Oscar and Vanderbilt but I just don't remember it that way. I remember it being softer and sweeter and less white flowers. Patricia Arquette wears the latter and she's the epitome of cool IMO. So maybe that's a factor also. Can't wait to check out her new show. Oh another thing, I know I may sound stupid asking this, but how do you pronounce L'heure Bleue? Kinda confused on the pronounciation on the French fragrances. I'm thinking Leh-huray-blur. LOL hell I don't know.

Default Re: L'heure Bleue

Just ordered this one in the 1 oz edp. I am mad I tell you...trying all these girly perfumes. I don't care. I can't stand most men's scents, they are completely brash imo and make me sick after wearing them only a short period. I do love Guerlain's Vetiver and Dior's Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit. Some of those reviews for LB on makeupalley are so SAD :'( ...quite poetic also. I was like, WOW I HAVE TO ORDER THIS, if only for the nostalgia. I barely remember the scent. It was a hectic day when I tried it. I hope it's good. I know it has heliotrope in it, and I find that note intoxicating. Ordering things online is kind of a high isn't it. Makes you feel like a kid. LOL. Come on UPS ;D

The pronounciation is  'L'hur bluh'. Have you tried Chamade, Jardins de Bagatelle, Jicky? You might like them.

I got it now...LUR BLUH  

I always excelled in German rather than French, even though I have substantial French lineage, including the last name. Weird huh  ;D. I remember watching Wings of Desire and being hypnotised listening to Solveig Dommartin speak the most smooth German I'd ever heard. That movie still holds a special place in my heart. Ok enough. lol

The easiest way to say it is 'ler BLER'
    Yes there is heliotrope is L'Heure Bleue it is in most of the classic Guerlains. L'Heure is aniseed,clove and heliotrope rich heady. As far as I know it only comes in the 1oz parfum size,if it is the parfum you would like.
    DONNA

8) HI . . . as for pronunciations, you have to know French, to get this one right. Anyway . . . I adore this fragrance, but in my honest opinion, the last few times I've tested LB, it does NOT smell the way it used to. I believe it has been thinned out, modernized, changed, whatever you want to call it. To be frank, the last time I took a whiff, I didn't even recognize LB. Period. Several ladies I know, who've worn this fragrance for decades, agree with me. But, have at it . . . you may still enjoy L'heure Bleue. If you can, try Parure.

Another male fan of LB here. It is such a magnificent creation. I think I read a while ago in a French perfume magazine that Jean-Paul Guerlain had fiddled with it.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    The pronounciation is  'L'hur bluh'. Have you tried Chamade, Jardins de Bagatelle, Jicky? You might like them.
    :P Leo . . . it's Professeur Michel. This is a good one, for beginning French students. Actually, it's more like L'ouououououourhrhrhrehrhrhre Blleoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeourhe. Lips must be pursed and taut, at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    :P  Leo . . . it's Professeur Michel.  This is a good one, for beginning French students.  Actually, it's more like L'ouououououourhrhrhrehrhrhre  Blleoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeourhe.  Lips must be pursed and taut, at all times.  
    Lol! Yes, that's the sound I utter whenever confronted with the heliotrope in this fragrance. ;D

Seriously, Professeur. Thanks for the tip!

;D To Leo: je vous en prie!! ;D

The change can't be too bad, I'm mean look at some of those reviews at MA. I find it hard to believe that Jean Paul would change it so much as to be unrecognizable. i called Saks in ATL and spoke with a Guerlain SA and she she told me she was 63 and has been wearing LB and Jicky for approx. 40 years and while he may have tampered with LB (she wasn't sure if he did) the spirit of the original is still there. Then she handed the phone to another SA who is mad for LB and this lady says she still thinks it's magnificent and she had been wearing it since high school in the early 70's. She said LB reminds her of the song Songbird by Fleetwood Mac. These were really nice ladies and obviously touched by this fragraces. But I can barely remember it, although I have smelled it. I recall it be being very shy and coy and not loud at all. Slightly clean also.

8)  Well, some of these statements may have been self serving.  I can produce half a dozen ladies I know, who've worn L'heure Bleue since college; each one will tell you it's thinner, watered down, and not at all how it used to be.  To my nose, it's different.  Quite different, from how I remember. Much, much thinner.

Guerlain SAs always say that the scents have not been changed. They say that Shalimar has not been touched but most people who love that scent say that it is just not the same anymore. Besides, the new bottle looks horrendous.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

8) Of course, Prince Barry . . . and I'm not saying that L'heure Bleue isn't worth wearing anymore. But I'm 49 years old. I know women who have worn this scent, for decades. I remember smelling it on a relative, for many many years. She has stopped wearing it. In my honest opinion, it just doesn't smell like it used to. I absolutely adored this fragrance. I named it as the greatest ever, during this year's BASENOTES, poll. The drydown is altogether different. So is the initial impression. It's much, much thinner. It's harsh. That haunting, spirituality and sweetness have been diminished, big time. Just my honest opinion.

People, I never said that she said they haven't changed and/or tampered with it. She just said it still is L'heure Bleue for her.

Quote Originally Posted by anthem81
    People, I never said that she said they haven't changed and/or tampered with it. She just said it still is L'heure Bleue for her.
    That's good news, for this lady. I happen to feel different about this fragrance, in its present form.

I suppose that is what perfume SAs are paid to say..teehee.

Barry

Roja Dove

I have tried over and over to like L'Heuere Bleue and I just dont! Works for some, I guess, just not me!

:'(

I'm starting to get all depressed about having ordered the EDP instead of trying to find vintage. I hope I love it. Well at least I find the bottle extremely attractive. Possibly my favorite ever. I already have Mitsouko and I do like it very much, but the overripe peach/amber/mossy thing gets to me sometimes. It just smells so rich and indulgent. Whereas LB seems to be a bit softer and has a gentler sillage. I would think that alot of the reviews that I've read on MA are with the new stuff, and some of those ppl seem totally smitten. I also read reviews on Perfume Emporium, ppl there have been wearing LB for years and years still seem to be happy with new stuff. I do remember liking it when I tried it a card few years ago, but that was paper, not skin...and it may have been EDT. If it is thinner it's ok because my skin holds fragrance well and most anything with an amber/musk/vanilla note works quite well with my skin, and blooms tremedously. Shalimar is supposed to be quite different now that it's been changed, but I still find the parfum and EDP to be intoxicating. I just hope LB doesn't end up smelling like Oscar, which is a bit dry and soapy/powdery/heady/brash for my taste. I like the smell of anise and the rest of the notes sound very good as well. Oh well we'll just have to see. If I love it I'll get the parfum as well and maybe the lotion. Sometimes ordering scents without trying on the skin first can be kinda nerve wracking but I'm still excited. It's just that it's hard for me to find fragrances that don't make me sick and rushing to the bathtub to scrub. Thanks for everyones feedback, it's truly appreciated.

;D Don't get depressed!! It's very possible that you will enjoy your LB edt, just as it is!! Don't forget: I am a LOT OLDER than you, and I'm used to lusher, fuller, deeper, smells. Some people enjoy the 'thinner' versions, more than the 'vintage.' I hope you love it!!

MJH

Clay,
    You may want to check out this thread on L'Heure Bleue from the Men's Board:
    http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...371780;start=0

My feeling about the possible reformulation of L'Heure Bleue (and other classics) is this: perfumes aren't unique works of art: they're commercial products that are produced according to established recipes. In the case of older perfumes, many of the ingredients are no longer available, for dozens of different reasons: animal products may be illegal or unethical to obtain, specific ingredients may have since been discovered to be hazardous, etc.

I've read that a 'true' bouillabaisse must include a wrasse: a type of fish from the Mediterranean. Since I know that no one's shipping Mediterranean wrasse to Ohio, does that mean I must never order bouillabaisse? If I grew up on the Riviera, the answer may be 'yes', but I grew up in Ohio.

My bottle of L'Heure Bleue EdP was already several years old when I bought it: the little vendor in the mall who sold it to me had bought up the remaining stock of the last specialty perfume store in Cincinnati, and I recognized many treasures. I had sampled LHB once before in a department store, and was more impressed by the drydown (even on the scent strip the day after) than I was at first sniff. I love it. Someday, I'll consider purchasing the parfum, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second bottle if I saw a vintage bottle on eBay for a decent price. But my bottle of L'Heure Bleue is also my experience of L'Heure Bleue, and I'm pleased with it. I hope you enjoy your bottle when it arrives.

Hello MJH,

Ah, the voice of reason! Beautifully articulated.

Great analogy about bouillabaisse Mark.

I agree SA's act like nothing changed and Guerlain never reformulates. I had to practically drag it out of SA that old vetivier and new vetivier are completely different...finally when I mentioned the color change and all the differences she relented and agreed.

she would chop off her arm rather than say Shalimar changed. I think the case with shalimar is the sandalwood used to come from Mysore, but I don't think it does anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Clay,
    You may want to check out this thread on L'Heure Bleue from the Men's Board:
    http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...371780;start=0

My feeling about the possible reformulation of L'Heure Bleue (and other classics) is this: perfumes aren't unique works of art: they're commercial products that are produced according to established recipes.  In the case of older perfumes, many of the ingredients are no longer available, for dozens of different reasons: animal products may be illegal or unethical to obtain, specific ingredients may have since been discovered to be hazardous,  etc.

I've read that a 'true' bouillabaisse must include a wrasse: a type of fish from the Mediterranean.  Since I know that no one's shipping Mediterranean wrasse to Ohio, does that mean I must never order bouillabaisse?  If I grew up on the Riviera, the answer may be 'yes', but I grew up in Ohio.
    You may order it, but technically it's not bouillabaisse. Which is perfectly fine all the same. Still, all things considered, the correct ethical behavior for a perfume maker should be to a) discontinue the 'recipe' b) market the similar product with a small nick indicating a change was made (i.e. 'new edition').

I know. It's depressing.