Code of Conduct

Default Wanted: All About Caron

My "perfume project" for 2005 is going to be to try all the Caron scents I'm not familiar with yet! (2003 was the Year of the Chypres)

I already have and love Narcisse Noir, Nuit de No‘l, Pour un Homme, Royal Bain and Yatagan, and am coveting Tabac Blond so am more than ready to explore further! ;D

I recently got samples of Poivre and En Avion, am going to re-test L'Anarchiste and Parfum Sacrˇ. Have also samples of Alpona, Bellodgia, Le 3eme Homme and Miss Rocaille waiting to be tested.

The only ones I've tried and didn't care for were Lady Caron and Pour Une Femme.

Any recommendations? Comments about Infini, Nocturnes, Aimez Moi, Fleurs de Rocaille, Farnesiana? Others?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Wanted: All About Caron

Mrs Tigs, I replied to your thread on the men's board.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

OOPS, read the men's side first...posted there Tigs!

Well, while I'm here....I have abit of the newest Parfum Tubereuse. I can't really see you being a tubereuse fan
    actually I'm not a tubereuse fan....LOL but if you want a bit to try I have some. This is not a caron I'd repurchase but as far as Tubereuse fragrances go its in the top three in my book!

OK......that was all, everything else is on the men's side

I think you will like the Povire it actually made me think of Comme des Garcons edp. You must test Alpona it is beyond sublime.

Hell just work your way through every Caron.
    DONNA

I agree with Auntie Donna concerning Alpona, it is truly amazing.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by donna255
    Very sound advice! That's actually been one of my goals, and there are a few nearly-mythical Carons (Tabac Noir, anyone?) that I won't even let myself dream about.

I'll probably have to re-visit this thread several times (after digging my little samples out). I managed to cross Coup de Fouet and En Avion off my wishlist this year, and I've been lucky enough to have either tried or owned the following in extrait: Tabac Blond, Poivre, Bellodgia, Nuit de No‘l, Narcisse Noir, Fleurs de Rocaille, Nocturnes, With Pleasure and Infini. The genius (IMO) of Caron's florals is that they seem to either be grounded by a bit of incense or 'dampened' somehow (galbanum? violet leaves?) in a way that makes them palatable even to someone (like me) who otherwise has difficulty with floral notes.

I dabbed on a drop of With Pleasure (I believe I read it was Andy Warhol's favorite) and it has a soft, spring-like violet feel to it (although it's just an impression: can't find notes anywhere). Maybe even a bit of narcissus, too: that mild, damp earthiness of a yellow daffodil, not that painful, indole-laden white-flower note of the paper-white narcissus.

Mark, I was forced to smile when I saw your reference to Andy Warhol. In the catalogue from Les Senteurs in the UK, they claim that Parfum Sacre was his favourite...strange, it was released after he died.

Buffalo Gal, does the Tuberose have the classic Caron drydown?

Barry

Roja Dove

Yep, it sure does have that classic Caron drydown. the dry down on the tuberose has that slight incensy quality that i smell in so many carons.....narcisse noir en avion....etc.... it really is beautiful....the opening notes are a bit jarring but the dry down is lovely, a soft tuberose slightly green with that caron undercurrent.....done with a light brushstroke.

Nocturnes is like a cross between Caleche and the newer Ombre Rose. Aldehydic and kinda woody but sweeter than Caleche.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Any recommendations? Comments about Infini, Nocturnes, Aimez Moi, Fleurs de Rocaille, Farnesiana? Others?
    Hi Tig: ŹI was coming on board to ask about about a couple of Caron fragrances and, wallah, there was your thread. ŹI have all of the above except for Aimez Moi and my Fleur de Rocaille is without the "s" so it's the new version. ŹIt is obviously floral but more shy than glaring. ŹWell blended with a beautiful sweetness. ŹAlways get compliments. ŹInifini is a floral also but with a pinch of spice and less sweet, but none the less lovely. ŹNocturnes is described as cool and powdery. ŹIt is a toilette, as are the others. ŹI have sprayed it twice and can barely detect any scent. ŹOn me, it comes across a little non-descript and vague - maybe that is what is meant by cool; a great office scent if you can hold on to it. ŹFarnesiana is the only eau de parfum in the bunch and is not one of my favorites. ŹThe first spray is ghastly with a lengthy dry down that carries a slight pungent note, which might be the lavender - a no no for me in perfume. ŹNot horrendous, but one I would not repurchase. ŹFleur de Rocaille is my favorite, then Inifini and Nocturnes. ŹI would be far more influenced by them were they eau de parfums as toilettes tend to disappear on my dry skin in a flash. Ź

I already have and love Narcisse Noir, Nuit de No‘l, Pour un Homme, Royal Bain and Yatagan, and am coveting Tabac Blond so am more than ready to explore further!
    My question is this: ŹIs your Narcisse Noir and Nuit de Noel eau de toilette, eau de parfum or parfum? ŹI am dying to try these but am always so disappointed when a fragrance doesn't hang on. Ź >

I recently got samples of Poivre and En Avion, am going to re-test L'Anarchiste and Parfum Sacrˇ. Have also samples of Alpona, Bellodgia, Le 3eme Homme and Miss Rocaille waiting to be tested.
    I would like to know your opinion on these also and in what form they come in as in toilette or parfum.

The only ones I've tried and didn't care for were Lady Caron and Pour Une Femme.
    Lady Caron is one of my favorites so we may have different tastes or chemistries.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

JAG

Jag, the Nuit de Noel in Extrait form is so much nicer and creamier than the edt version. The edt in the drydown seems to be very tickly on the nasa membranes.

Alpona is simply divine. Only available in Extrait form, it's worth every penny, Euro, Dollar, depending on where you are. It's one of the very few hesperidic scents that works for me. In fact, I think it is the only hesperidic chypre that I have smelt. A magnificent creation.

Buffalo, thanks for the extra info.

Barry

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by donna255
    I think you will like the Povire it actually made me think of Comme des Garcons edp. You must test Alpona it is beyond sublime.

;D ;D ;D I KNOW! ;D ;D ;D

Many thanks, Donna! I already have a sample of Poivre waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    The genius (IMO) of Caron's florals is that they seem to either be grounded by a bit of incense or 'dampened' somehow (galbanum? violet leaves?) in a way that makes them palatable even to someone (like me) who otherwise has difficulty with floral notes.
    Now that's music to my ears! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    I dabbed on a drop of With Pleasure (I believe I read it was Andy Warhol's favorite) and it has a soft, spring-like violet feel to it (although it's just an impression: can't find notes anywhere). Maybe even a bit of narcissus, too: that mild, damp earthiness of a yellow daffodil, not that painful, indole-laden white-flower note of the paper-white narcissus.
    That sounds interesting, too! But all Carons do... Many thanks, Mark!

Many thanks for your Caron impressions, JAG!
    I have Nuit de No‘l and Narcisse Noir in parfum. And will definitely post my impressions when I get down to testing the Caron samples I manage to get my paws on.

Thanks for Nocturnes description, Anthem!

And thanks again, everyone for your replies both here and in the men's room! ;D

"All I want is Caron. That's all."

Though wearing Angel today I couldn't resist dabbing some Parfum Sacrˇ on my wrist.

On the first test-drive the pepper note merely tickled my nose but now I find Parfum Sacrˇ much more pleasant: to me it smells like an old diva's dressing room at the theatre! ;D You get the picture: dried rose bouquets hanging from the ceiling, powders and other theatre cosmetics, "exotic" paraphernalia all over the place, embroireded silk shawls on chairs...

Parfum Sacrˇ smells like an old Classic, it's hard to believe it was launched in 1990! (Patou's Sublime from 1992 is another example of a scent that smells older than it actually is)

Mark,I have a book on Caron. And looked up the With Pleasures. all it says is a floral and pictures of the bottle,which is shaped like a barrel and a collectors item.

Nothing on Tabac Noir only the name and it was made with dark tobacco.
    DONNA

I have the Farnesiana edt, floral (mimosa, violet etc.), yet the farnesiana is almondy, it also has opoponax, so it has an incensy feel to it. It's not always in the mood for it, but I have to say it is one of the most interesting scents I own. I rarely smells the same. It is always revealing new facets of its personality. Sometimes it is cherry almond, sometimes very floral, sometimes the woody/incensy notes really come through. I would say, if you don't like almond scents, you probably wouldn't like thism if you do, by all means give it a try. Many almondy scents smell like playdoh on me, but this one doesn't.

Aimez Moi is a warm, anise scent. Not syrupy sweet like Lolita Lempicka or cold and powdery like some anise scents. It's very smooth and soft, but it is on the sweet side.

Many thanks for the descriptions, Jacona! Both Farnesiana and Aimez Moi sound like must-tries.

Does Aimez Moi remind you of Apr¸s l'Ondˇe (or L'Heure Bleue)?

I don't remeber Apres L'Ondee. To my nose L'Heure Bleue is cold, damp and dusty, Aimez Moi is not like that at all, at least not to me.