Code of Conduct

Default Found my holy grail..and it's made for women...lol

Hello all my name is Clay and I'm new here. This evening while shopping I stopped by the Estee Lauder counter to get my mother a bottle of Spellbound (smells so lovely on her) and I picked up an unmarked bottle without a lid on it and sprayed it on a card. At first it's potency took my breath away...man it was strong. Anyway I made my purchase for my mom and continued shopping but I couldn't get the smell out of my head...I kept wanting to smell the card. So I went back and asked what it was called. She told me it was Private Collection, and I asked "how private"? I thought she meant it was like a secret. Anyway I bought 1.7 oz of the pure fragrance spray and I'm totally enamoured with this scent. It's soo intoxicating. I've smelled this before on people and I've always wondered what it was. This beats everything else out there as far as I'm concerned. I've smelled tons of fragrances from L'Artisan to Lutens to Caron to Fragonard...countless, but this stuff took my breath away. It's crisp and green with a prominent hyacinth and grassy note at first, but the middle and base notes are soooo luxe it's crazy. it's like an intertwining symphony of jasmine, piney scent, and a woodsy, softly sweet, cedary-mossy base. This is what I've always wanted in a chypre. It never smells stale. I know I've smelled this on others before, it's so different. I think I've found my holy grail fragrance. *sticks nose under collar and inhales*. It's wierd though that my holy grail would be a women's scent. hehe. Private Collection would work for either sex I think. Gorgeous box too. Love the lettering.

Default Re: Found my holy grail..and it's made for women..

Here's some info I found at Osmoz.....

Private collection was created for the private use of Estˇe Lauder who wanted to keep her personality a mystery. It's a delicate and precious perfume designed for sophisticated and refined women.

Perfume
    description

Belonging to the family of green florals, Private Collection features several flowers.
    The top note reveals orange blossom and linden, the heart note is composed of Bulgarian rose, jasmine and chrysanthemum, and the end note combines heliotrope and musks to create an extremely elegant composition.

Top note : Green Note, Orange blossom, Linden

Middle note : Jasmine, Reseda, Chrysanthemum, Rose

Base note : Sandalwood, Heliotrope, Musks, Amber

Bottle

Estˇe Lauder chose to capture Private Collection in a flacon made of frosted glass, crowned by a gilded stopper. The box is directly inspired by Madame Lauder's personal writing paper.

On a side note...I know I smell a very slight hint of evergreen in there somewhere. It's kinda hard to classify also...green/floral/chypre/oriental maybe? I dunno, it's extremely complex and hard to classify.

Hi Clay,

I'm relatively new, too but have lived on this Board for the last two weeks. Be careful - it is habit forming.

Private Collection is a beautiful scent and definitely unisex, imo. I think these days, with the vast array of blends, more of them are built upon a middle ground that can go in either direction, especially depending upon your chemistry. Have you tried your mom's Spellbound? It's one I own and love but it's not so frilly that a man couldn't pull it off with remarkable reaction.

And . . . it's sweet of you to buy your mom her favorite perfume. Welcome aboard and have a great Christmas!

JAG ;D

It always grabs my interest when I read someone's found their HG. Thanks for posting about your new discovery and welcome!

MJH

Welcome to Basenotes, Clay!

I don't know Private Collection myself, but I've always thought 'green' scents, both chypres and fougeres, can be very effective on either men or women. The first time I crossed the fragrance gender line it was unintentional (Coridandre) but I've never looked back. The only advice I ever give guys wearing women's scents is to be judicious in the application: a cloud of sillage is hard for almost anyone to carry off.

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    a cloud of sillage is hard for almost anyone to carry off. Ź
    Except for my mother!

8) :P

Ladylonestar

Welcome to Basenotes, Anthem81. Wear what you love, what makes you feel good, what works with your skin and chemistry. I've loved and worn Private Collection for years. I have the pure parfum, the parfum cologne and parfum cologne spray, and the pure fragrance spray. I'm getting a gift set this Christmas (I peeked in Santa's bag ). Here are the published notes from the Estee Lauder website:

Fragrance Type: Floral/Green

Top Notes: Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Citrus
    Middle Notes: Orange Flower, Ylang-Ylang, Coriander
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, Patchouli

I think it's great that you found your HG- who cares if it's something marketed for women? I have a few men's scents that I wouldn't part with. Just be happy you're open minded enough to give something a try that gives you such pleasure. If you hadn't tried it, you would have never known.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

HEY! It's a SEXY damn perfume! If it smells good on you....the women will chase you down! ;D

Hi Clay, Welcome aboard and congratulation on finding Private Collection. Another lover here who goes through a bottle of the lotion every year. I recommend the lotion if you use such things as it's very green and has just a slight fresh scented sillage.

Welcome to Basenotes, Clay!

Private Collection is IMHO one of the best green scents around. Very sophisticated and elegant. Like many already said here there's no need to worry about the labels, I wear many men's scents myself!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by anthem81
    Hello all my name is Clay and I'm new here. This evening while shopping I stopped by the Estee Lauder counter to get my mother a bottle of Spellbound (smells so lovely on her) and I picked up an unmarked bottle without a lid on it and sprayed it on a card. At first it's potency took my breath away...man it was strong. Anyway I made my purchase for my mom and continued shopping but I couldn't get the smell out of my head...I kept wanting to smell the card. So I went back and asked what it was called. She told me it was Private Collection, and I asked "how private"? I thought she meant it was like a secret. Anyway I bought 1.7 oz of the pure fragrance spray and I'm totally enamoured with this scent. It's soo intoxicating. I've smelled this before on people and I've always wondered what it was. This beats everything else out there as far as I'm concerned. I've smelled tons of fragrances from L'Artisan to Lutens to Caron to Fragonard...countless, but this stuff took my breath away. It's crisp and green with a prominent hyacinth and grassy note at first, but the middle and base notes are soooo luxe it's crazy. it's like an intertwining symphony of jasmine, piney scent, and a woodsy, softly sweet, cedary-mossy base. This is what I've always wanted in a chypre. It never smells stale. I know I've smelled this on others before, it's so different. I think I've found my holy grail fragrance. *sticks nose under collar and inhales*. It's wierd though that my holy grail would be a women's scent. hehe. Private Collection would work for either sex I think. Gorgeous box too. Love the lettering.
    Hi Clay,
    I'm a Private Collection fan too. I'm thinking that if you love it so, you may also love Wrappings by Clinique (which is also a Lauder company). I'm currently loving it too and it too has a pronounced green, pine thing going on. Wrappings is reintroduced seasonally in the fall by Clinique. It's less sweet I think than PC & has a sort of ginger ale top note.
    Sniff it if you get the chance ...I wager you'll like it.
    numbr9

Hi Clay. This is a superb fragrance, and I would wear it any day. I especially love the sweet floral note in the base, the intoxicating overture and the fact that this is not a 'mysterious' scent in the least. It sort of evokes a kind of pleasing and refined 'sunny complexity'... I too found out about it at an Estee Lauder counter and got hooked.

Clay: Life is just too short, if it smells good, wear it!!

Welcome, Clay! It's not set in stone as to which gender should wear what. Private Collection is absolutely beautiful. I have a small decant of it but unfortunately it gives me a huge headache. Dang it! : I have a couple of fragrances like that. Love 'em but they either set off my allergies or make my head hurt. I wore PC the other day anyway because it is so beautiful.

Enjoy your holy grail! ;D ;D
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West