Code of Conduct

Thread: Your Soul Mate

Ladylonestar

Default Your Soul Mate

If fragrances were people, which one would be your soul mate? The one you connect with emotionally, spiritually, and physically? Or is it still out there somewhere.... waiting for you?

Default Re: Your Soul Mate

Not surprisingly I don't have just one soulmate scent: of course there's my beloved Yohji but also Messe de Minuit and Bandit "click" with me. But there might be more... :
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Why So Serious?

Voleur De Roses! I'm madly in love with it. I know that i'm a guy and it's strange how a guy would go crazy about roses. But it smells absolutely gorgeous, with a wet and dirty earthy touch. I will soon buy 5 bottles of this. You can call me:

"Thief Of Roses"
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Great thread! I was actually thinking on similar lines about this today because of my SOTD. My soulmate has to be Lanvin L'Homme. This scent never lets me down. Lanvin calms me when I'm stressed, gives me that extra push at work when I need to project a professional image, and is flexible enough to be a great dinner "date". Lanvin L'Homme is beautiful, eloquent, intelligent, classy, sexy, professional and unpretentious. What more could a guy want? ;D

Easy. The vintage, pre-millennium Guerlain Vetiver.

I'm sure a lot of people will read this and think: blech, Guerlain Vetiver. Well, to each his own of course. LVMH must have heard your cries when they decided to reformulate it. The top notes were made more subdued and gentle; although the result is not bad, I think it lost its original virility.

I find the original Vetiver arrogantly French. It's absolutely non-conformist, a bit like French cars from the 1950s and 60s. It's not soothing in the sense of a delicate, soft fragrance: the opening is like a slap in the face, a wake-up call. It's got character. I like that in a fragrance.

Vetiver was also the fragrance that kicked off my passion for perfumes, together with Shalimar and Chanel 5. I discovered it in the early nineties, at a time when marine and ozonic fragrances where invading the market. Vetiver was different, and I got hooked. I soon discovered other brilliant fragrances, often more sophisticated or elegant, but I never lost sight of GV.

You know what they say: old love never dies.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Mmmmm! I love this question.

My knee-jerk reaction was to shout, „Fracas!š Then I thought a little longer.

Fracas speaks to a hidden, inner part of me where I‚m an ultimate girly-girl. It‚s romantic and soft on me and makes me feel utterly gorgeous when I wear it. However, it‚s not truly „meš in perfume form.

I also looked hard at my other Holy Grail- Geisha Rouge. To me, this one is exotic, spicy and has a uniqueness I have yet to find in another perfume. Once again, it‚s just another facet of me that doesn‚t truly reflect back as „soul mateš though.

So, I looked deeper. Had I truly found my soul mate yet? Then it occurred to me: Zingy in the top, a little sporty, a little clean, a hint of yearning for far-away places, quiet, understated, a good listener, a late bloomer, not overly loud or pushy. „Here I am,š it whispered. „You know me well. I am Chanel‚s Bois des Iles.š

Soul mate realized. Thank you dear LadyL. Although now I‚m wondering- do you have a soul mate perfume? You personally never said.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Hmmm...a very difficult question.

First I thought, Santal Noble because it is so many things for me. Its comforting, smooth as silk and sensual. I'd say emotionally and spiritually it connects, but I've never thought of a physical connection.

Then, could it be L'Anarchiste? The tingly metallic notes of mint and vetiver mixing with sweet mandarin, later giving away to contrasting warmth of clove and musk. Hmm...I'm definitely a quirky person, full of conflicting and contrasting traits, so perhaps this is the one?

Then I thought, marine scents are my favorite as an overall group. No matter how maligned they are, I still find them all soothing, relaxing, invigorating (see...oxymoronic) and I can't help but want to try them all. My latest one is Wall Street from Bond No. 9. Its by no means ground breaking, but it feels like it was taken as a sum of all the best parts of other favorites from the category. Maybe it is boring. Maybe it is utterly bland and uninspired. But the simple fact is, I still find it to be the most perfect marine scent of them all so far. Overpriced for sure, but still find it quite intriguing and in no way disappointing.

I guess in the end, I can't claim a soul mate. Perhaps this explains my perpetual bachelorhood...I can't commit! ;D

And I forgot my latest discovery, Musc Ravageur. For some reason, I remembered this thread on the way to work this morning and had to amend.

I don't think I can commit.

Why So Serious?

you guys are right, committment is a big issue. I dont think i can commit fully. I'll just keep it on a short term in case i cheat which happend before.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Serpent

Definitely Nu.

At this point in my life, there are two: Signoricci, and Cialenga.

Oh, it's so hard to mention one. I imediately thought of Santal Noble too, for exact the same reasons scentational mentioned. This would be my new soulmate. I hope to be reunited with my old soulmate herritage (guerlain) soon, since this was my first guerlain. And last,but not least, I was reunited with an old ,familiar soulmate Eau Sauvage. Strange, when I was a teen, I never wanted to smell like my father. Now I smell just like him, and my dad is now wearing modern designer fragrances like Polo Blue. Strange how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Oh, it's so hard to mention one. I imediately thought of Santal Noble too, for exact the same reasons scentational mentioned. This would be my new soulmate. I hope to be reunited with my old soulmate herritage (guerlain) soon, since this was my first guerlain. And last,but not least, I was reunited with an old ,familiar soulmate Eau Sauvage. Strange, when I was a teen, I never wanted to smell like my father. Now I smell just like him, and my dad is now wearing modern designer fragrances like Polo Blue. Strange how things go.  
    Eric . . . you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Like mgarisbn, I have two soulmates:

Fracas and Detchema.

When I'm with one, I miss the other. I can't imagine choosing one over the other. I feel like I'm cheating on my faithful Fracas - she's been through so much with me but I can't help myself, I need Detchema as well.

I'm still looking for mine. Some fragrances do tug at my heart and make me feel nostalgic for some reason, like Hiris and recently Dzing! But are they soulmates? I don't know yet. I also have fragrances that I feel very comfortable wearing, but they don't have the same effect on me emotionally.

MJH

Well, in real life, I'm one of those oddfellows who doesn't have a problem with commitment. With fragrances, though, I'm a bit.....wanton, maybe?

I've noticed my SOTD posts are only a partial reflection on what I wear: I almost never post Guerlain Vetiver as my SOTD, but it's one of the scents I return to over and over again. Mine is the current version, not Marcello's pre-tweaked version, but it's the only version I know. It was my first non-linear scent, the first scent that actually "took me somewhere else", and somehow made me stand taller and feel classier and suaver than I actually am. Heck, I think it even put some hair on my chest! :-[ When I wear it, I somehow feel cool, detached, mature, wise....

Jicky, on the other hand, speaks to me of a mature appreciation of the pleasures of the senses. I'll leave it at that.

My soul mate scents are not necessarily my favorites, but the Evyan triplets - White Shoulders, Most Precious, and Great Lady - are three that reach so far into me for so many reasons that it's hard to explain. I've always loved them, always will love them. They're not made any more, which is a blooming shame. White Shoulders is still around but its current incarnation is horrid. :'(
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Private Collection

I've found that while it has a clean, sweet-woody scent on me, it develops this carnal note that just makes me swoon. Smells like it has 500 ingredients. I do notice a slight similarity to Magie Noire...but PC is easier to take, and much more suited to me...I want something I can wear anytime, anywear and this does it for me. It's very mysterious also. And no heavy vanilla, spices and amber...yay

Nicole Miller for men

Unfortunately, she (the juice) will soon be gone forever - discontinued you know :'(. My mistress, JHL, is too floral for me to take out in public without some type of cover (Santal Noble or Rocabar). Santal Noble will probably be Nicole's successor - but not her replacement.

Soul Mate? Hummm, I always reach for Habanita when distressed, Apercu brings on an emotional response for some unknown reason; but Misuki must be my deepest, secret me. Seems we never get a cover that matches our minds; but if my mind were on my shirt - it would look like Misuki smells.

My soulmates are Piper Nigrum and Cafe Noir, and I guess recently, Cuir Mauresque.

GREAT THREAD, LAURA!

Ok, easily my soulmates are CK Eternity for Men and Laura Biagiotti Roma - they are like the old friends you've had your whole life that you can keep coming back to even after long absences. They are true to you, and you love them unconditionally. The relationship offers so many memories...

Then there's Chanel Cuir De Russe - this is more of a newer friend - the one you met only a few years ago but had an instant connection with the moment you met. This is the only fragrance that I keep in Parfum version.

Other best fragance friends include CSP Motu, Chaumet pour Homme, Angel and most recently Molinard Patchouli and Molinard Bois Precieux.

marlen

Hmmm.

Scent By Costume National, Narciso Rodriguez, SMW and Kingdom me thinks, OH and Avignon.

Oh dear, not a butch one between them. :

Must add Black Cashmere to my list! Also Comme des Garćons EdP.

So: Yohji, Messe de Minuit, Bandit, Black Cashmere and Comme des Garćons.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    Ok, easily my soulmates are CK Eternity for Men and Laura Biagiotti Roma
    I used to buy Roma for my son - one of the top men's fragrances in my book. Christmas Day, he was wearing Eternity, which also caught my attention. He is out of Roma, so the search is on for more. Maybe I'll just buy it for myself and spray a little on my pillow ;D

JAG