Code of Conduct

Thread: Ma Griffe

Default Ma Griffe

Just curious if anyone wears Ma Griffe and if you'd like to share your impressions on this scent. I sampled the parfum de toilette (at least I think this is what it was ) and was intrigued but I couldn't decide if I wanted to wear this scent. I am really not accustomed to wearing chypres. I'd be curious to hear anyone's comments, good or bad, on this scent. It's been around since 1946, it must have some history!

Default Re: Ma Griffe

Quoting from FABULOUS FRAGRANCES: In French, ma griffe refers to a signature or personal stamp. Thus, couture designer Carven selected the name for her personal fragrance. Ma Griffe is a blend of earthy essences presented in brilliant green packaging. It is a timeless, easy-to-wear classic, steeped in mosses, flowers, and woody balsamics. Chypre Floral
    gardenia, greens, galbanum, aldehydes, clary sage . . . jasmine, rose, sandalwood, vetiver, orris, ylang-ylang . . . styrax, oakmoss, cinnamon, musk, benzoin, labdanum.

The final, selling point: Barbara Walters is listed as a 'famous patron.' Personally, I find this fragrance to be slightly effusive. But it's very dry . . . some people say it smells like vintage, Rive Gauche.

Ladylonestar

I discovered Ma Griffe in the spring of 2003, having never even heard of it before seeing it mentioned on a perfume board, so when I spotted it at Marshall's for $9.99, I didn't even hesitate to buy it, unsniffed. When I got home and lightly sprayed it, I was NOT impressed. In fact, I was somewhat shocked -- shocked by how artificial, sharp and just downright odd it smelled. I regretted wasting $10 on it. :'( Fast forward to a scorcher of a summer day, a day so hot that even though I was inside in the air-conditioning, I feared my house was going to catch fire from the sun's heat. I had to run an errand, and didn't feel like putting on makeup or fresh clothes, but I never leave home without perfume. For a reason I will never know, I decided to spray, full-on and with complete abandon, this odd-smelling perfume called Ma Griffe. I think I just felt so sticky and tacky and irritable that I thought, "What the heck. I'll just spray on this tacky perfume." Well, this fragrance was so fresh, so refreshing, so crisp and clean, so sophisticated, so lovely.... I was rejuvenated -- no, I was reborn! I not only put on makeup and styled my hair, I also changed into crisp, fresh white linen capris and crisp, fresh chambray shirt, kicky little sandal heels, jewlery.... wow! I felt cool, clean, energized, vibrant, stylish, casually elegant. I spent most of that summer wearing Ma Griffe and Irma Shorell Rose.

I guess you figured out by now that I love Ma Griffe. I wore it the other day, in fact. For me it's a very fresh and invigorating fragrance, clean and soapy, green and cinnamon-y. I feel classy wearing it. According to Nigel Groom (Perfume: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Finest Fragrances), "It was the first perfume created especially for the younger woman, teenagers, and debutantes, and used the slogan 'Ma Griffe--le parfum jeune' (a 'griffe' is a silk label and the name signified 'It's mine')." And this masterpiece, according to Luca Turin, was created by a man who was anosmic -- Jean Carles, who had lost his sense of smell and yet continued to create perfumes from memory and imagination. Also, in the book "White Oleander", the character of Olivia wears Ma Griffe. No matter that Olivia is a prostitute -- Janet Fitch wanted to assign the character "a really chic French perfume."

Triple WOW, Lady L! Now that was a great post! 8)

Haven't got much to add but here goes:
    I tried Ma Griffe last year because it is a Classic and I want to try as many Classics as possible because you learn so much from them.

I liked Ma Griffe right away, it's so unique! I haven't run into any other scent with that quite odd pairing of green notes and cinnamon.

Like Lady L said it's at its best on a very hot weather and outdoors. I wore it to a picnic when it was +30 C and it bloomed! ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I tried Ma Griffe last year because it is a Classic and I want to try as many Classics as possible because you learn so much from them.
    Oh, I agee. I am continually amazed at how many great fragrances I never even knew existed through the years. How did they live without me? ;D

By the way, I forgot to post this link for Ma Griffe. Hope it works. And Tigs, where are those sexy advertisements?!

http://www.carven.fr/parfum_ma_griffe.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Tigs, where are those sexy advertisements?!
    Right here! 8)

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/imagesdeparf...N_Magriffe.JPG

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/imagesdeparf...riffe_1996.JPG

Ladylonestar

There they are! I love those! But... when you read that Ma Griffe was originally created for younger women, teenagers, and debutantes, and then you look at those advertisements...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    There they are! I love those! But... when you read that Ma Griffe was originally created for younger women, teenagers, and debutantes, and then you look at those advertisements...
    ;D ;D ;D

MG was created in the late Forties but the ads are from the Eighties or Nineties, I guess. The world has changed... :

Thank you for your thoughtful posts!

Ladylonestar - I am not surprised by your post. I'm finding myself in a similar situation (although have not reached a loving relationship with Ma Griffe, not yet, anyway). I discovered Ma Griffe on sale in my grocery store (yes, they have perfume counter) for $14. I almost bought it unsniffed but I since I hadn't heard of it, I wanted to know more. I went back to the store after a bit of research, found a tester, applied some and then continued grocery shopping, planning to pick up bottle on the way out. I smelled the sample on my skin and wanted to wash it off me! I left the store emptyhanded.

But, again, I find myself drawn to this intriguing little package at my local store. I've not seen Ma Griffe anywhere and like you've mentioned, it's rather odd-smelling, on first sniff. Especially for someone who doesn't wear chypres.

I went back a few weeks later and tried another sample and liked it but still found it "odd".

And, yet again, last week, I tried Ma Griffe. Why, do I keep trying? I think it's the fact it is a classic and I know if I wear it, I will be wearing something unique. Now, this third time wearing it - Oh, my, how lovely. Cinnamon. Green. Lovely but so different. I imagined I would love it on a hot summer day. But, still, I couldn't commit. Why I do not know. I have bought bottles unsniffed - Cabochard, no less.

So, tomorrow, I'm going back again to by some Ma Griffe. I must have it. You've convinced me. For $14, I'm not sure why I hesitated. I've spent more money at Starbucks on lattes!

Thank you so much.

Question on this topic: I've seen it mentioned at Makeupalley.com and other internet sites that Judy Garland wore Ma Griffe. But, where did this rumour start? Does anyone know if this was really true?

Ladylonestar

ElizabethD, I like Tig's description that it's unique with an odd pairing of green notes and cinnamon, don't you? Yet every time I wear Ma Griffe, I cannot help but smile and think, "What an odd perfume." ;D The bottles that I have are parfum de toilette, too. I keep meaning to check on other strengths as well layering products such as lotion and powder, but I get distracted...

Sorry, I don't know about Judy Garland, but if I come across anything, I'll let you know.