Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche and others... for a gift

Hey guys and girls,

I met this girl that I'm nuts about. Things are going very well and I think by Christmas day, things will be in full overdrive, so I will definitely have to get her something nice. I want to get her some perfume.

i haven't smelled alot of womens perfumes, so I'm looking for recommendations. Nothing too floral though, she dislikes florals.

How about Rive Gauche? (someone gave it a huge endorsement on the men's board). I want something sexy, but nothing run of the mill. I want something that's somewhat easy to find and test, and i want something hip but yet classy. Something that shows I was being thoughtful, and didn't just grab the first thing off the shelf at a department store. BTW, she's 25.

I want to hear about Rive Gauche. And I want some recommendations.

Thanks!

Indie guy

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Rive Gauche and others... for a gift

Hi, Indie Guy! I'll have to get my Rive Gauche out and sniff it, but I really don't recall thinking of Rive Gauche as particularly sexy, though perhaps it is. ???

Can you get your hands on some Agent Provocateur or Penhaligon's Love Potion No. 9 (for women)? I think Saks carries them. How about the new Prada? Have you sampled Must de Cartier for women? It's pretty sexy, or so I've been told.

Thanks Ladylonestar for the response!

Its funny you mentioned the Must Cartier pour femme. I was actually thinking about that one too! I've never smelled it, but i have the mens and its great. Plus I think giving something by Cartier would make a pretty nice gift. How does the women's Must differ from the mens?

Any others?

Serpent

Never give a chypre as a gift unless you really know the woman will like it. I wouldn't recommend giving Rive Gauche as a gift.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    How about the new Prada?
    Not to contradict you, LadyL., but I also really do not recommend giving the new Prada blind. It's easily the most fickle scent I've ever encountered. I thought a sales associate at Barney's was just being contrary when he said on most everyone it smelled off, but it's true. I had a sample vial that passed around my office, and it just fell flat on the eight or nine women who tried it. The only person it really smelled nice on was, well, me. It smelled really different on everyone, too. It's terribly fickle and hard-to-read. It's a rare person, it seems, who can carry it to its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Hey guys and girls,
    I want to hear about Rive Gauche. ╩And I want some recommendations.
    It's been years since I have worn Rive Gauche but I do remember it as having a gorgeous dry down. Even though it is loaded with floral notes, the base notes obviously blend those out into a floral/woody scent that is more powdery and doesn't scream flowers.

The rest of the guys on the Board are much more knowledgeable than I am about perfume notes and the mood a perfume portrays. But a little more information would be helpful such as: skin color - fair or olive; personality - sporty, feminine or in between; wild and crazy or more reserved.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood is a favorite of mine with a touch of musky dry down that I think a man would enjoy sniffing. But, you have to give it a little time to work through its stages before the true essence settles in. But, it's worth the wait.

Strenesse by Gabriele Strehle is a milky color and borders on fruity/floral but definitely not your everyday, generic fruity/floral. To me, it is soft, yet prominent, and reeks of class in a very demure sort of way.

Diva by Ungaro is considered to be a very classy and sophisticated scent; it's not flowery and a little goes a long, long way.

Theorema by Fendi gets rave reviews and is very wearable, but I don't know if it would be considered sexy.

Some people find Kingdom a sexy perfume, but it has cumin in it, which can take you in a direction you really don't want to go. Smelling it on someone other than your girlfriend won't work because it either blends with your chemistry or it makes you want to immediately shove them into the shower (and I don't mean that in a good way). I don't think there is an in-between. But, some people love it. Same for Dinner by Bobo. You love it or hate it. I cannot wear Kingdom but I think I will eventually buy Dinner by Bobo (hate that name). You can read about Dinner at lusciouscargo.com.

There are a lot of perfume oils on the market that are absolutely breathtaking. Ginger Ciao by Yosh with deep, sexy, to-die-for black coconut being the star of the fragrance (quoted from Lucky Scent). The coconut is not as prominent as it sounds and I would kill to have a bottle ($130 for 8 ml). I won't even use my sample because it's too much of a tease. It's expensive but oils are applied very sparingly so it does last for quite some time. Sage is another source for exquisite oils with Onyx, Pearl, Topaz and Jade being a few that aren't considered flowery. If you go to sagejewelry.com, the ingredients are listed, which might be of help. Each fragrance represents a month of the year.

Like I said, the others on the Board know their scents and can pick out notes from a mile away. Also, you might get better feedback on a sexy perfume from a man.

Good luck with your shopping and your new girl!

JAG

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent

Not to contradict you, LadyL., but I also really do not recommend giving the new Prada blind.
    Hey! Don't go messin' with my recommendations for Indie Guy, Snake Man, or else you might wake up with a king-sized bottle of Nu at the foot of your bed. ;D

The Must de Cartier would make a fabulous gift, Indie Guy. But... see what you think of it, of course. As far as comparing the men's with the women's... I'll have to defer to someone else for now.

:P ╩Hi, Indie Guy . . .

I am in total agreement with Serpent, on Prada. Not for gift giving. As a matter of fact, I cannot stand this fragrance, period. ╩I just got another scent strip in my new 'W.' ╩Both my sister and I detest this offering. ╩To us, it smells like paint thinner. ╩We burned the strip in the fireplace . . . not good enough, even for the clothes dryer. ╩As for Rive Gauche, I prefer the vintage, which is one of my all time favorites. The new, thinner version does nothing for me. ╩Also, I think you should go with something that has not been 'worked on,' if you know what I mean. ╩How about Guerlain's Chamade?? That seems still, to smell pretty close to how I remember it. ╩Chamade is a semi-oriental. ╩Absolutely gorgeous. Another ravishing fragrance, is Caron's Nuit de Noel . . . and it means Christmas Night. ╩That one is more subtle, though . . . but exquisite. ╩Eau des Merveilles could be a possibility. ╩Caleche is a lovely fragrance, too. ╩It reminds me some, of Rive Gauche. Quite chic.

I have just emerged from a 4 hour Rive Gauche testing and my conclusions are:

a) has it been changed: yes it has. But finally, the drydown is very much like I remembered it from the early Seventies.

b) is it sexy? it's still sexy as hell.

c) is it easy to wear? not at all. I second the cautionary words of serpent and Michael. BUT, as far as cyphrÄes go, this one is still the most modern, urbane, youthful of the lot (at least amongst the ones I'm familiar with). So if you MUST give her a cyphrÄ give her this one.

d) correlatives? I too suggest Chamade, or better still Jardins de Bagatelle which is a floral with a RG-like drydown (Chamade is more ambery and sweet).

CalĆche is a re-reading of L'Air du Temps. I see the link with RG suggested by Michael, but I find it a bit too heavy and old fashioned.

Ladylonestar

Just curious -- when did Rive Gauche move into the chypre category?

Personally, since I can only smell a single floral note on top of moss, sandal and musk... My fault!

??? Good Question. I've always thought of RG as a floral aldehyde. At least in vintage form.

Let me speak straight here: If you want to have sex with her again and again - BUY IT!!!! It will speed things up for both of you.

And by the way it is damn classy too!

But I guess you already knew I would say that..... ;D

Mic.

Indie guy, depending on what You like, Eau de Cartier or Habanita or Coco
    would be a warm, sensual scent!
    If she is into musks and florals, please try Narciso Rodriguez for her! Gorgeous scent, that one.
    Blackberry, Vanilla Musk, try Trish McEvoy #9, a very sexy scent for a very sexy woman.

>