Code of Conduct

Default Thierry Mugler launches floral Angel trio

Twelve years after the launch of its top-selling Angel fragrance, Thierry Mugler Parfums (Groupe Clarins) is ready to unveil new interpretations of this unusual olfactory story. Angel Garden of Stars collects three floral EdPs for women derived from the Angel scent: Violet Angel, Peony Angel and The Lily Angel.

„Angel is a woody foody scent. There are no floral notes at all,š Firmenich‚s Olivier Cresp, the creator of Angel and the new peony scent, tells Cosmeticnews.com. Different perfumers were requested to marry a floral with the patchouli-dominant scent. According to Thierry Mugler president Vera Strubi, the choice was so difficult, a trio of florals was developed instead. Christine Nagel of Quest formulated the lily fragrance and Franćoise Caron, also of Quest, was the nose for Angel Violet.

The new launch is hoped to appeal to „a wide range of consumersš, including those who do not like the original Angel, Angel product manager Léa Gandon says. „Among the three [scents], a consumer should find one fragrance they like.š

The launch has been timed after the Angel franchise has been well established and is ranking highųnumber one in Europe and in the top-10 in the US. „It would have been too early to launch it [sooner],š says Gandon.

The relational marketing strategy for Angel will play an important role in the promotion of the collection. At selected counters, the 25ml bottles can be refilled at the Garden of Stars Source. The launch will be backed by black and white advertising visuals of the flower, with the bottle in color, designed by Thierry Mugler and shot by Trion. Advertising scent inserts will appear in the press.

The star-shaped bottles topped with a star-like flower, designed by Thierry Mugler, preserve the Angel image and are tinted corresponding to the floral. The outer packaging presents the blue Angel color codes and white flower on one side, with a black background on the flipside featuring a visual of the fragrance.

Angel Garden of Stars launches from March worldwide, priced •52 for the 25ml EdP and •70 for the 50ml refill.

Default Re: Thierry Mugler launches floral Angel trio

This trio has in my opion no reason to be. "For people who don't like Angel"...those should better look for something totally different and original.

The important Thierry Mugler launch is in september with an all new scent. I still hope it will be called "Alien", the name that was rumored a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    This trio has in my opion no reason to be. "For people who don't like Angel"...those should better look for something totally different and original.

The important Thierry Mugler launch is in september with an all new scent. I still hope it will be called "Alien", the name that was rumored a few weeks ago.
    CEDRIC! I know nothing of this! Please please please tell me more! ALIEN? ? ? ? I am sooooo excited now...

marlen

NEW YORK ų Angel is celebrating a decade on the market with a fragrance makeover.

What has resulted is a trio of Angel scents, due to be launched worldwide in April, that are fresher and more feminine than the best-selling original.

Vera Strubi, the original architect of the brand and president of Thierry Mugler Parfums Worldwide, a division of Groupe Clarins, calls the offering „a garden of stars.š

In an interview from Paris, Strubi said, „the Angel business is extremely important worldwide. Our objective is to keep growing every year. So far we have achieved that.š

What was needed at this point, she added, is an addition to the brand that would „surprise our loyal customers and recruit new customers.š

A year and a half ago, Thierry Mugler came up with the idea of adding a floral element to his original fragrance to inject a note of femininity. Ironically, even though it remains one of the best-selling women‚s fragrances to come out of the Nineties, the formula is a woodsy, oriental gourmand concoction without a single flower.

So briefs were sent to three perfumers, and each was told to pick a single flower and add it to the top note of the Angel classic.

Olivier Cresp, the creator of Angel, who now is working at Firmenich, picked peony. Christine Nagel at Quest International chose lily, and Francoise Caron, also of Quest, created a violet interpretation.

The results charmed Mugler and Strubi. „Frankly, we couldn‚t choose, each was so fabulous,š she admitted. „Each scent expresses a moment in life. We decided to create a garden of stars.š

The original Angel model with its star shape was modified, and the glass of each bottle ų Peony Angel, Lily Angel and Violet Angel ų was tinted a different color. In an unusual move, Strubi designed the outer carton of each fragrance type with its own distinctive flower photo to make the merchandise easy to pick out. This is an important wrinkle, since the perfumery business in Europe and department store merchandising in the U.S. have shifted toward self-service in the last decade, Clarins executives pointed out. „We have to be more obvious,š Strubi said.

Strubi described the peony interpretation as soft and delicate. The use of violet is notable, she said, considering that violet fragrances had become passé and have been considered nostalgic and old-fashioned, with the ingredient falling into disuse in the modern era. However, Caron managed „to create a modern violet ų playful, powerful and mysterious,š Strubi said. And the lily scent adds a „feminine, elegant touchš to the lineup.

During a presentation in Paris, Cresp said, „Peony worked very well with patchouli [which is in the original Angel formula]; it‚s a majestic flower. So when Vera called me a year ago and said she wanted to do a floral project, I thought, why not rework the ideaš of Angel.

So he lowered the level of patchouli notes, edible body notes ų honey, praline and chocolate ų and raised the level of bergamot note, „which is leafy and lush,š he said. To all this, Cresp added „a magnificent peony juice, very sparkling, like fireworks.š He calls the new scent: „Angel, but a different Angel.š

Caron observed, „It is a very modern violet. It goes well with the patchouli in Angel. Violet is a flower with lots of personality.š

Nagel added, „my choice was a flower with identical values to Angel‚s. Lily is very Mugler; there‚s sexuality in the lily. I wanted a flower as strong, as present and with the same audacity as Angel. For me, the lily is royal, as Angel is a royal fragrance.š

Clarins does not break out sales projections or advertising budgets, but industry sources estimate the trio could swell the global Angel business ų which is said to be somewhat more than $100 million retail on a worldwide basis ų by 10 percent. Each fragrance will be priced at $60 for a 25-ml. spray. A 50-ml. refill will be priced at $85. Like the classic, the garden of stars fragrances will be refillable from in-store dispensers.

Benjamin Gillikin, president of the Clarins Fragrance Group in the U.S., said the fragrance will be launched in 220 doors here, roughly half of Angel‚s American distribution. The remainder will be rolled out in the fall.

Brad Horowitz, vice president of marketing for the group, said the distribution at launch will consist of Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale‚s. A special advertising insert, featuring a dramatic black-and-white photo of one of the three flowers on the cover and three Discover Seal fragrance samples on the back, will be used in the U.S. and Europe. In America it will be inserted in store catalogues, and in Europe it will appear in magazines and catalogues. Sources estimate that five million inserts will be disseminated in Europe. The American promotional and advertising budget has been estimated at $2 million to $3 million.

In order to avoid indecision and confusion by the consumer at the point of sale ų a traditional problem when multiple fragrances are being launched simultaneously ų Clarins executives have devised a number of lifestyle questions to help the customer navigate the choices of „the garden of stars in the skyš and help trigger a decision.

Strubi said the environment has changed markedly in the dozen years since she launched Angel. Fragrance manufacturers now have to be more aggressive, she said. Instead of relying on distribution and depending on word of mouth, „you have to invest more money,š she said. „You need to be seen and have good space. And you need to be quicker.š

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7

CEDRIC! I know nothing of this! Please please please tell me more! ALIEN? ? ? ? I am sooooo excited now...

marlen
    I know nothing more... that name might be bogus.

Many thanks for the scoop, Cedric!

I love Angel so this trio doesn't really sound like me but I guess I must give them a sniff anyway...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric

I have heard ALIEN is almost official indeed:-)

The anti-Angels sound interesting. They made them one and a half year:-)
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).