Code of Conduct

Default What do women think of the Audrey scents?

Hello. ╩I'm wondering what the women on the board think about the Audrey Hepburn scents, namely:

L'Interdit (original) (1957) ╩
    Givenchy (LVMH > Givenchy);

Fleur D'Interdit (1994) ╩

L'Interdit (new) (2002) ╩

and

Spring Flower (1996) ╩
    Creed (Creed)

Any thoughts?

Default Re: What do women think of the Audrey scents?

:P ╩Hello,

Well, I am not a woman, but I'm very familiar with the original L'Interdit, because my sister has worn it for many years. ╩It used to be her signature. Legend has it that this fragrance was created for Audrey Hepburn, and was not available to anyone else, for a number of years. ╩It is extremely feminine, in a strictly interpreted, traditional way. ╩Quite beautiful, but not for everyone. ╩This is an extravagant, French, couturier fragrance that says 'high fashion,' and old time glamour. ╩I do not find L'Interdit to be dated, but some of today's women could find a scent like this, to be effusive. Here are the notes: floral aldehyde: aldehydes, mandarin, peach, bergamot, strawberry . . . jasmine, rose, jonquil, narcissus, lily of the valley, orris, ylang-ylang . . . sandalwood, vetiver, musk, amber, cistus, benzoin, tonka bean.
    The 'new,' modernized L'Interdit smells nothing like the original. ╩I don't care for it. ╩Fleur de L'Interdit is nothing special, to me. As for Spring Flower, yes I believe it was created for Audrey as well . . . I am not a big fan of Creed scents. This is a nice fragrance, I smell lots of apple in it, but I don't find that Spring Flower, 'speaks' of Audrey. To my nose, it's just not chic.

I tried L'Interdit b/c it was supposed to be Audrey's signature scent, but aldehydes give me headaches. I wanted to love it, because it is the fragrance Holly Golightly whips out of her mailbox as Paul baby carried her up the stairs, slung over his shoulder. Perfect cinematic moment.

I only have the Spring Flower perfume body oil, but I adore it. it's very potent, and it smells like fresh spring in a bottle. It never fails to garner compliments!

Hey jowcoffee,

I am in total agreement with mgarisbn. ╩The original L'Interdit was the best of the group but it didn't blow me out of the water. ╩The Fleur and reformulated L'Interdit are very mainstream imo. ╩Spring Flower in the spray was very watery to me (I gave it away - aarg $$), but the body oil that madamex spoke of probably gives it the boost it needs. ╩

Now this is just my opinion and I'm not easily impressed by stardom, but I have noticed several perfume sites that feel the need to mention the stars who wear a particular scent. ╩Like - does that make it better? ╩Am I going to go around telling everyone that Miss Starlet and I wear the same perfume. ╩I don't think so. ╩There is somewhat of a difference in actually having a perfume made specifically for you, at least back in Audrey Hepburn's day. ╩But then, there's that chemistry thing. ╩The scent that made Audrey glow might leave me standing alone in a crowd of people. ╩

All that being said . . . a $10 scent from the drugstore or $200 bottle from a boutique, the bottom line is - do you like it. ╩

Humbly yours, JAG

Quote Originally Posted by madamex
    I tried L'Interdit b/c it was supposed to be Audrey's signature scent, but aldehydes give me headaches. I wanted to love it, because it is the fragrance Holly Golightly whips out of her mailbox as Paul baby carried her up the stairs, slung over his shoulder. ╩Perfect cinematic moment.
    You might be in luck, madamex! Because the fragrance that Holly brings out of her mailbox and sprays is actually "Le De" by Givenchy. I've never come across "Le De", but someone might be able to tell us what it smells like.

Yes it's Le De Givenchy Holly whips out of her mailbox. Trust me I frooze the image more than once...

Le De of what I remember was sparkling and green with a sort of soft lilac note. Very chic. Saks Fifth Avenue flagship used to stock it in edt.

I have Le De and LOVE IT! I found it at Nordstroms some time ago and immediately bought it because it one of the few wearable lilac scents I've found. It indeed has a lilac note, not too dissimilar from En Passant, but no other similarity exists. Le De has an coriander note and jasmine note that livens and tempers the lilac and the entire thing rests on moss and light woods that create a surprisingly aromatic drydown. This is a startling and magnificent creation!

From Perfumemart.com
    Le De, introduced as Le de Givenchy, and now often referred to as simply, Le De, is a classic floral fragrance from French couturier Hubert de Givenchy.
    ╩ ╩ ╩In 1957, post-war femininity was at its height, and fragrance reflected the trend. The Le De bouquet blooms with bergamot, mandarin, and coriander. At the heart of the matter are delicate florals: jasmine, rose, carnation, lilac, and lily of the valley. Soft notes of sandalwood and guaiacwood are sweetened with amber and moss for a powdery trail, or sillage. Le De is an elegant, timeless creation from Givenchy; a versatile, delicate scent designed to glide effortlessly through the day.

However...
    Perfumebay.com says this...
    Hubert de Givenchy's first composition, "DE" was originally worn only by his closest friends and most loyal clients... This legendary fragrance is still as rare as it was then. It combines: The tartness of sage, coriander and crushed violet petals.

marlen

:P I too love LE DE. I prefer it to L'Interdit. It's much more wearable, in my opinion. We still have a two ounce eau de parfum, but this scent has gotten hard to come by. What a shame. Le De always struck me as unisex. The lasting power was not good on my mother or on my sister, but from our experience, neither is L'Interdit's. And while we're on vintage Givenchy: I love III, as well.

Wow! All these years, I thought it was L'Interdit she was spraying! And how charming that you all know the scene as well! I will have to try Le De.

I am not normally impressed by what stars wear what ( madonna wears EVERYTHING!) But Audrey Hepburn is different for me, because her movies have brought me great joy over the years. I really enjoy my spring Flower oil-can't believe how scented it is. That being said, it really isn't me. I am always conscious of wearing it. it never just melds with my skin.

:P Hi, MadameX

If there's one thing we basenoters possess in large supply . . . it's CHARM. BTW: have you seen the 1966 movie, titled Madame X? It stars Lana Turner. It is soooooooo bad, that I can't stop watching it for one second! See it . . .

I have seen it as well! Lana is superbe-she is so over the top, she slays me! Sophia Loren also made a movie with David Niven called Madame X, and one of Merle Oberon's parts also had this name. It can mean everything, or nothing LOL. Glad you likes the movie!

:P OH, Madame!! It's one of my favorites!!!! I shouldn't get off topic here, but since it's your basenote name, what the heck?? Did you know that Lana received the Italian Oscar, for this opus?? Those scenes with her and Constance Bennett!! And Ricardo Montalban as the love interest!! Gawd . . . there's another version with Claudette Colbert, too. BTW: Lana wore a fragrance made especially, for her. :-))

I had no idea! What was her scent-something to do woth gardenia? Who made it?

??? Hi Madame . . . that I don't know. But Lana did have a specially blended perfume, made for her. I read that in an interview with her, once. No details were given. Joan Crawford used to wear Jungle Gardenia . . .

??????????? Floral

Thanks for all the responses!

jowcoffee