Code of Conduct

Default Doblis by Herms.

Doblis was Hermes' third fragrance. Created by Guy Robert (Madame Rochas, Calche, Amouage) in 1955. Now it's being relaunched in a limited edition of 1000 bottles at Herms boutiques worldwide and at the Roja Dove Perfumery at Harrods. Jean Claude Ellena is responsable for the reformulation, as some ingrediants (mostly those which are animal based) aren't available anymore.

I sampled it today. I was sure I smelled something similar in the past..."English" was what I thought and then (Eureka!) Ormulu. Doblis reminds me of the wallnut tree note in Penhaligon's discountinued Ormulu (formerly know as Jubilee bouquet), it's a warm soapy note. It's rather Lady-like but masculine at the same time, something maybe George Sand would have enjoyed. There is also something in it, some sort of signature, something very "Jean Claude Ellena"...

Default Re: Doblis by Herms.

Cdric, I was quite amazed when I smelled it.
    I thought Doblis was a leather scent but it is much more warmer and yes, quite feminin indeed.

I do not know the Penhaligon line very well, so cannot compare to Ormolu, but Doblis has definitely something of melted gold ! :-)

It certainly costs as much as melted gold!! I tried the other day in one of the hermes boutiques in hong kong. It didn't make a strong impression on me but i hate sampling in a shop. It was more suede than leather although i guess leather means different things to different people. quite subtle on drydown...maybe too subtle. but certainly refined.

AZTEC

Serpent

It would seem a trip to Rodeo Drive is in order again. I just hope they have it. They've been so bad about getting their fragrances in; they weren't even sure whether they'd have the four Ellena scents in before Christmas.

Here's hoping they have Doblis. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hi,

I've tested it at a Hermes boutique in Duesseldorf, Germany last week. I have a leather scents phase anyway, so I was very keen on trying it. They had a 50ml Parfum tester and I sprayed it on my skin generously without hesitating .
    My first impression was, wow ! a family member of the older Caron and Guerlain scents. Complex, elegant, powerful and soft at the same time. I do like these kind of scents a lot, but somehow I find them hardly wearable for me.
    The notes are: Camomille, Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Labdanum

The price was 345 for 50ml Parfum in a Baccarat flakon.
    :-[ , but I will go back in January and try it again. Just to make sure, I can sleep well in the future.....

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by Safran
    My first impression was, wow ! a family member of the older Caron and Guerlain scents. Complex, elegant, powerful and soft at the same time. I do like these kind of scents a lot, but somehow I find them hardly wearable for me.
    The notes are: Camomille, Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Labdanum
    "a family member of the older Caron and Guerlain scents": THAT definitely caught my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Safran
    The price was 345 for 50ml Parfum in a Baccarat flakon.
    :-[ , but I will go back in January and try it again. Just to make sure, I can sleep well in the future.....
    Gosh, I'm sure the Baccarat flacons are fab, but I really wish I'd be able to just buy the juice without fussing about the bottle.

Thanks, Safran!

Your're welcome, Mark.

I agree with you, I would prefer the juice only as well !

Serpent

Wowee!

I sniffed Doblis this evening at the Herms boutique on Rodeo Drive, and I must say, it's something. First things first: They only had one flacon left - they only received three or four - and it was $535. I won't be adding Doblis to my collection, sadly. What a thick, powerful scent it is. My impression is that Doblis must be the most powdery scent I have ever smelled. Yes, it's quite leathery, but the powder element is just so overwhelming in the scent. I find it terribly feminine, despite the strong leathery quality, but then I tend to find powder intrinsically feminine as a rule. It's a real so of grande dame scent to me, sort of like an irradiated No. 5 on steroids. It makes me think of domineering, well-dressed, well-traveled older women who take no crap, tell fascinating stories, and tend to shop like they're mounting the invasion of Normandy. I love it. After all, under all that leather and powder, there's a wonderful, endearing sweetness. Doblis is so nice. It's a good thing, though, Doblis won't be available all the time, I think. It's just not something that should be unleashed on the public on a regular basis. This would be a scent one would want to wear once in a blue moon, I'd think. A special anniversary or a rare concert, a trip to Venice or a child's wedding.

Doblis may be the single most luxurious scent that's ever been across my nose, and this in its adulterated form, its post-animal cruelty version. The mind reels at what the real juice was like. I really recommend you scramble to an Herms boutique and sniff this rare jewel while you can.

There was one on eBay earlier but was gone. The seller said the bottle was by Saint-Louis. No picture, so I did not buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Quote Originally Posted by perfumelife
    There was one on eBay earlier but was gone. The seller said the bottle was by Saint-Louis. No picture, so I did not buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    It was the real thing but the person who bought it paid more than at the boutique.
    Crystal Saint Louis is part of the Hermes group btw.

How much is it exactly?

With the exchange rate it wasn't to bad actually...it's arround 350 euro.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by perfumelife
    How much is it exactly?
    The price at the L.A. boutique was $535.

Thank you. Is there site showing a photo of the bottle?

the bottle is the same shape as the 1.7 oz Caleche perfume bottle (which costs $460).

Serpent

Default Re: Doblis by Herm?.

What's the likelihood this will be reintroduced into wider circulation again? It's a shame this is locked away like it is. Doblis really is great. Maybe this is a test for a relaunch, perhaps? I hope?

Found an image at last...