Code of Conduct

Thread: YOSH Perfumes

Default YOSH Perfumes

YOSH perfumes. Got some samples back in September and I am finally getting around to really wearing them with abandon. Yowsa! These babies are expensive. To give some perspective: The lovely Bois des Iles parfum, by Chanel, is 155 US$ for 15 ml. Yosh perfumes are 135 US$ for 8 ml. All I can really offer is some sort of grunting noise, followed by an expletive. If they were more reasonably priced, I would certainly buy two of the three that I have tried.

Ginger Ciao- PerfumeHound tried this one on a while back, even before I had a chance to. It opened beautifully with dark, sweet ginger, then went strangely to lemon grass and reminded both of us of Thai cooking. She wrote it off quickly. On me it was sweet and smooth, then I too got a lemon grass note. However on me it just smelled more like a coconut/lemon grass soap- definitely soapy notes into the heart and drydown which made it seem a lot more ordinary to me. Amusing but not enough to capture.

White Flowers- Oh! This one opens dew drenched, green, pollen-like, waxy, spring-into-summer-morning, fresh, singular blossom, green tea, refreshing, young. In a word = fabulous. It matures to a wonderful, clean, garden of white flowers, and then dries down somewhat familiar. This one shimmers with clear, delicate notes and not a hint of powder. If it were a painting it would be a fine watercolor. The closest thing I have to it is Kai, but even Kai falls way short and way flat against this perfume that smells so much like a real garden in early summer. Wow. (How did Ms. Yosh do that?)

Omniscent- PerfumeHound kept insisting that this one was „witchy perfume.š Something made me keep going back to it though. This one opens sweet, hot, white, clean, peppery, mouthwatering, addictive smelling. A few minutes later it‚s almost like I'm cooking an exotic meal while wearing a sandalwood based Opium and over my shoulder is an open window and I can smell the garden filled with sweet flowers beyond. The perfume then matures to a very heady, powerful mix of floral spiciness and reminds me of some of my favorite winter perfumes all rolled into one (Coco, Opium pour Homme, Ceylon, Gothic I, Asma.) Hours later it is unmistakably Oriental but it has softness and has mellowed. The flowers threaten to, but never completely burst through the spices and are more like supporting players in the mix. This is the one I really want. Have already gotten 3 compliments on it and it hangs in for a long time on my skin. I guess I‚ll be ordering another $6 sample. :~/

I‚m certainly considering trying her other creations as well now- although I still think the price for the miniscule bottle is astronomical and can‚t imagine ever shelling forth that kind of dough for these. Ah well...
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Ladylonestar

Default Re: YOSH Perfumes

I purchased two or three YOSH samples from Lucky Scent some months ago, too. I need to get them out and test them properly now. I'm already contemplating Loree Rodkin's Gothic I, as you know, so I really don't want to fall in love with the YOSH!

Fabulous reviews (as usual), Artisankey! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    White Flowers- Oh!  This one opens dew drenched, green, pollen-like, waxy, spring-into-summer-morning, fresh, singular blossom, green tea, refreshing, young.  In a word = fabulous.  It matures to a wonderful, clean, garden of white flowers, and then dries down somewhat familiar. This one shimmers with clear, delicate notes and not a hint of powder.
    Thanks for descriptions, Artisankey White Flowers sounds like something I might long for later on when spring approaches. Mmmmmm, sounds delicious! I'm a huge fan of Demeter's Wet Garden, which I find like a breath of just that - a garden sprinkled with raindrops ;D I haven't noticed very many Demeter fans on board yet, but I'll bet there are a few.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Great reviews, Key!

Do people really pay these prices for 8 milliliters? Honestly, I would have to love a scent to death and have more money than sense to pay that much! That is just a ridiculous amount for 8 milliliters.

I hear you, Chardkay! Yosh's scents are very, very expensive. I'll bet many people order multiple samples of their favorite scents.

White Flower's opening is absolutely gorgeous. I felt like I had been transported to a beautiful, sunny garden! I don't know how Yosh does it! The drydown was disappointing (I admit feeling a bit relieved!)

Although I thought Ginger Ciao smelled like Thai food and Omniscient captured the smell of an occult shop, they're brilliant fragrances.

Yosh's fragrances are worth trying. IMO they're similar to Ormonde Jayne as both contain top quality ingredients not used in traditional perfumery.

Do they smell like real perfume or like perfume oils? What I mean with real perfumes is that they have a top, middle and basenote, perfume oils are often linair and simple compositions without real depth imho.

So?

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Do they smell like real perfume or like perfume oils? What I mean with real perfumes is that they have a top, middle and basenote, perfume oils are often linair and simple compositions without real depth imho.

So?

I understand what you mean about perfume oils being a bit one dimensional. On me, the Yosh's behave much more like true perfumes- especially the Omniscent and the White Flowers. Both are very complex creations imho. Then again it could just be my chemisty. Many have lauded DSH perfume oils as "the ultimate" in depth and creativiity. On me they tend to go flat and dry down to the same base (Ceylon is the only one of hers that I enjoy wearing and I think I've tried over 50 of her oils by now.)

MJH

Many have lauded DSH perfume oils as "the ultimate" in depth and creativiity. On me they tend to go flat and dry down to the same base (Ceylon is the only one of hers that I enjoy wearing and I think I've tried over 50 of her oils by now.)
    I've had the same results with DSH oils: I have yet to find a DSH scent that works on my skin.

Omniscent- PerfumeHound kept insisting that this one was „witchy perfume.š Something made me keep going back to it though. This one opens sweet, hot, white, clean, peppery, mouthwatering, addictive smelling. A few minutes later it‚s almost like I'm cooking an exotic meal while wearing a sandalwood based Opium and over my shoulder is an open window and I can smell the garden filled with sweet flowers beyond. The perfume then matures to a very heady, powerful mix of floral spiciness and reminds me of some of my favorite winter perfumes all rolled into one (Coco, Opium pour Homme, Ceylon, Gothic I, Asma.) Hours later it is unmistakably Oriental but it has softness and has mellowed. The flowers threaten to, but never completely burst through the spices and are more like supporting players in the mix. This is the one I really want. Have already gotten 3 compliments on it and it hangs in for a long time on my skin. I guess I‚ll be ordering another $6 sample. :~/.
    Ahhh, this is the one that really fascinates me! I love Opium PH and Coco (and finally bought my own bottle). I used to reserve spicy scents for winter, but this past summer I discovered how well many of my spicier orientals worked in the heat.

I can't help but be curious as to their sales volume, though. A purchase of a Caron, Guerlain or Chanel parfum is already a bit of an investment for most of us, and those companies have had many years to build up their "brand loyalty".

As usual, fab reviews, Key!

Ditto on the DSH...they just go nowhere on me, oddly.

I am also afraid to try these. I suspect that I would actually really like the Ginger Ciao, but I can get alot of excellent Thai food for that price, so maybe I should just slather some Tom Ka soup on myself....haha!

I like the JT leroy but I really want to try the Contessa.!!!!!!!!
    Yosh's oils are fantastic and while some miss the mark for me others are inspirational. I love the omniscent, ginger caio and white Flowers....I didn't love the U4eahh
    although it seems to be loved by almost everyone else.
    the sottile is a really lovely tea rose its the dry down that is really nice on this one. the stragazer lily is also really lovely...very linear but nice....many of them I'd have a hard time spending the amount of money for them, but there are a few. Of the 6 sold on luckyscent I really like the omniscent & white flowers the best.

I have also tried many but not all of her pirate oils and I really liked the cavalier & Valhalla. the damsel & Siren are lovely florals Jasmine & Gardenia respectively, but I like Monyette better than the Siren and the damsel is reminiscent of child which i wasn't fond of in the first place.

The Pirate oils are quite a bit cheaper and worth trying out There are other pirate oils such as swashbuckler & buxom but I have not tried those yet.

http://www.826valencia.org/store/shop_perfume.html

I have tried some of her signature scents....Urban essence & opening night. Opening night did NOTHING for me....I really didn't like it..its was just plain old oily. Urban essence is nice for a man but was too masculine for me to wear.

You can see her signature scents at www.eaudeyosh.com

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
     I suspect that I would actually really like the Ginger Ciao, but I can get alot of excellent Thai food for that price, so maybe I should just slather some Tom Ka soup on myself....haha!
    Very good! You certainly could get a lot of great Thai meals for the price of the perfume. Hmmmm....

(Acting as goad,) let me know if you want me to send you the Ginger Caio- I probably won't be wearing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    The Pirate oils are quite a bit cheaper and worth trying out There are other pirate oils such as swashbuckler & buxom but I have not tried those yet.

http://www.826valencia.org/store/shop_perfume.html

I have tried some of her signature scents....Urban essence & opening night. Opening night did NOTHING for me....I really didn't like it..its was just plain old oily. Urban essence is nice for a man but was too masculine for me to wear.

You can see her signature scents at www.eaudeyosh.com

Thanks for the links BGal! You always seem to be up on the latest/greatest.

I had seen her Urban Essence advertized along with an urban, creative arts collaboration and became intrigued a bit. You've cured me of that mostly though- and my pocket book thanks you!

Hadn't heard much about her pirate oils but figured I would seek them out eventually. The U4eahh I wasn't all that interested in- ditto for the tea rose one- but after trying three of her oils, I'm thinking of sampling the rest.

Key, again thanks for the great reviews!

The thing is, the prices frighten me, Loree Rodkin's Gothics were bad enough.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."