Code of Conduct

Default Ombre Rose by Jean Charles Brosseau at Scentiments

Ombre Rose is a remarkable, rose fragrance. Unlike Paris, I find O.R. to be mysterious, and rather dark. Elegant and vampish. I have no idea whether or not this fragrance has undergone . . . modernization. I'm dscribing how the one from many years ago, used to smell to my nose. I haven't seen this one, in a while. SCENTIMENTS is offering a 2.5 ounce edt tester, for $24.58.

Default Re: Ombre Rose by Jean Charles Brosseau at Scentim

This was the blueprint imho for Lancomes Trésor.

:P Thanks, Cedric! I had never connected the two fragrances! Here are the notes, for both: Ombre Rose: floral aldehyde . . . aldehydes, peach, rosewood, geranium ... lily of the valley, ylang-ylang, rose, orris, sandalwood, cedarwood, vetiver, vanilla, honey, iris, musk, cinnamon, tonka bean, heliotrope.

Tresor: floral, semi-oriental . . . rose, apricot blossom, lilac, peach . .. iris, heliotrope, lily of the valley, jasmine, amber, sandalwood, musk, vanilla.

Ladylonestar

Well.... perhaps you remember a lawsuit filed by Jean-Charles Brousseau against Inter Parfums around 1995, citing breach of contract regarding the juice and the distribution of Ombre Rose? Apparently the formula was not supposed to be altered, and it was to be sold only in select stores. It took several years, but he won his lawsuit and set about to restore Ombre Rose.

From an article entitled, "Ombre Rose's Second Life," WWD, November 1, 2002:

"In 1995, Brosseau took Ombre Rose's then-fragrance license-holder Inter Parfums to court, claiming a breach of contract regarding its juice, which was to remain unaltered, and its distribution -- which was to remain highly selective. Brosseau won the case four years later and immediately went to work on the fragrance that's called Ombre Rose L'Original.

'I had to restore the formula,' Brosseau said of the oriental floral juice created by perfumer Francoise Caron. The fragrance's top notes include rosewood, honey, ylang-ylang and peach. Heart notes feature rose, lily of the valley and iris. Its base notes are musk coumarin, vanilla and sandalwood.

Brosseau also reinstated the initial hexagonal Ombre Rose bottle that features a floral pattern. As in the past, the eau de toilette bottles have a translucent motif with a frosted background and the parfum extract flacons are in black."

There's a lot of information on the internet on this, if you do a search.

As for Ombre Rose, I agree that it's dark, mysterious and elegant -- very sensual fragrance, I think. I find Le No 9 Cadolle (EdT), Ombre Rose and Lutece similar to each other, and I think I'm starting to prefer Ombre Rose over both of those. I really don't pick up rose in Ombre Rose, however -- just floral notes in general, lots of wood and vanilla and quite powdery on my skin. I definitely love this one in the winter, when the air is drier. Fabulous! Not so great on my skin when the humidity is high though. :-[

And did you know that at one time Cher wore Ombre Rose (along with Opium, Vanilla by Jean Laporte, and Ritz by Charles of the Ritz)? She may still wear it, I don't know. In an interview regarding her own perfume, Uninhibited, she said: "When I smell Ombre Rose, it smells very sensual and it smells great. And at the last minute you smell a baby in there somewhere. That's the way my perfume is -- it's got an up-front of being very sexy and sensual, and then right at the last minute it kind of goes into a real innocence. I kind of like the combination of it."

Go, Ladylonestar!!!  No, I did NOT know about any of this, concerning Ombre Rose.  I just knew that it had rather 'disappeared,' for quite some time. I absolutely love this fragrance. I do pick up the rose, however, but in a shadowy, diffuse kind of way.  I think this is a gorgeous scent for fall / winter weather!  And GOOD FOR MR. BROSSEAU!!

May we assume then, that what's being offered at SCENTIMENTS, is vintage??  

As for the Cher angle, I didn't know  that she liked this fragrance.  I read that Cher wore Vanisia from Creed, and that she'd used a combination of Oscar de la Renta and Shalimar, before creating, or helping to create, UNINHIBITED.  BTW:  that was a wild, fragrance!  I kind of miss it . . . very hard to find, now.  

Thanks for that great info, Ladylonestar!!!

Ladylonestar

You know that LLP carries Uninhibited, right?

I shouldn't quote this because I don't remember where I copied it and I am supposed to give credit, but I can't resist, so here goes: (The interview I referred to earlier about her Uninhibited.)

"The scent, supplied by Felton Worldwide, was inspired by a combination of fragrances that Cher wore for years.

'I had a perfume I'd been wearing since 1972. It's concoction of two different perfumes, Vanilla by Jean Laporte and a really, really cheap perfume called Ritz by Charles of the Ritz,' she said.

While Uninhibited is not an exact replication, Cher said, it "has the same idea." At one time Cher also wore Ombre Rose and Opium.

Uninhibited's floral top note blends lily and peony with dried fruits. An exotic middle note is produced with essences such as ylang-ylang, absolute of orris and magnolia; the drydown is vanilla, heliotrope and musk.

'It's kind of exotic and spicy, and yet, at the last minute, it smells like you could eat it.' "

By the way, I guess by Cher's standards, Ritz was "really, really cheap", but as a very young working girl back then, it wasn't really, really cheap to me!

Hi Loney!

So much for the Shalimar and Oscar de la Renta!  I swear that's what I read. Anyway, I'm still trying to 'digest' Ombre Rose and OPIUM, in one shot!!!  Zowwweeeee!!  At any rate, you know me ... I'm not one for LLP just yet.  I do remember Unihibited, quite well.  It was wild.  I think I've seen the 'real' thing at 1stPerfume.com, but of course, they want good money for it.  And as you know . . . I can resist, if I have to.  :-))  Thanks!

;DThanks for sharing those tidbits, gang. I love threads like this! ;D

My very first swap on another board was for some Ombre Rose. I truly enjoyed it but can't relate it to Tresor at all. ??? Fascinating!
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

:P Well, that's what we're here for, FuFu!! Check my joke on the off topic, forum . . .

MJH

Ombre Rose used to be my sister's signature scent.....and I always thought it smelled horrible on her. :-/ And the rest of my family thought so, too. :-/ :-X But it never occurred to me to sample if on my skin! I recently saw a bottle at my local mall kiosk labeled Ombre Rose L'Original, but I didn't know the history of the formulation and reformulation until now.

HI, MJH . . . I didn't know anything about Ombre's history, either! Between Cedric and Ladylonestar, we learn it all! BTW: I'm curious ... what didn't you like about Ombre Rose? I found it quite provocative, even somewhat Gothic. Also, do you happen to remember the sister scent, to Ombre Rose? It was Ombre Bleue. I loved that, too. Can't locate that one anyplace, except at Discount Blvd., but we know about DB. :-X

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    BTW:  I'm curious ... what didn't you like about Ombre Rose?
    I usually try to avoid strong negative comments, but......on my sister, I always felt it smelled like 'cat spray'. :P And the rest of my family concurred! Who knows: maybe my nose has matured, or maybe it's just a classic case of 'skin chemistry' gone awry.

I found it quite provocative, even somewhat  Gothic.  Also, do you happen to remember the sister scent, to Ombre Rose?  It was Ombre Bleue.  I loved that, too.  Can't locate that one anyplace, except at Discount Blvd., but we know about DB.   :-X  
    I've seen Ombre Bleue: in fact, it wasn't that long ago, either. But I can't remember where. I'm sure I never tried it, though.

:-X Hi, MJH!

You and your cat spray! Anyhow, if you see Ombre Bleue again, please let me know. I know a lady who is dying to relocate that scent. :-))

MJH

You and your cat spray!
    No, Mgarisbn! You misunderstand: it's not me and my cat spray: it's my sister and her cat spray!

Anyhow, if you see Ombre Bleue again, please let me know. I know a lady who is dying to relocate that scent. :-))
    I went back through my past links and bookmarks, and I believe the place I saw Ombre Bleue for sale was Enchante Perfumes in Toronto:
    http://www.enchanteperfumes.com/prod...ts/indexo.html

Enchante's website doesn't allow on-line ordering: you or your friend would have to call them to check availability or to place an order (800-226-6652): I've ordered from them and been satisfied.

Now, I can't help but ask: has anyone tried Ombre D'Or?

Hi MJH! I stand corrected!! And thank you very much for that great 'Bleue' information. I have a friend who has been YEARNING for that scent, for many years. As for Ombre D'Or, no I hadn't sniffed it, and I'd forgotten all about it, too!! Anyone remember it?? Thanks again.

I used to wear Ombre Rose and it was LOVELY refined, elegant and sexy at least I thought. Anyhoo Lonestar is as usual RIGHT! You have to be careful about the TOP of the bottle. Also...make sure it has "original" on it. I think the square top or gold top is not so good. Can't remember. I see a lot of Ombre Rose at the Festival where I shop perfume. Scentiments is there. There is sometimes a purse size in a black metal bottle. I want to make sure I'm getting the REAL DEAL.

Don't get me wrong I love Ombre Rose it's in my top 20 favorites. What I mean is that Lancome really was inspired by Ombre Rose, fragrance and concept-wise, for their Trésor. There wasn't a scent launched that was as powdery as Ombre Rose during the 80s, it was very successfull in the USA even more so than in Europe where it was more of a niche/cult favorite. So when Lancôme came back to making fragrances (Magie Noir was by then more than 10 years old) they wanted to make sure it was a blockbuster in the US the most important market. Lancôme made a peach colored juice, a rose based scent with a very warm and powdery base all very much like Ombre Rose. Sophia Grosjman made Trésor a bit more spicy. Ok Trésor is not a total copy of Ombre Rose but without Ombre Rose Trésor would have been a very much different perfume.

Just my 2 cents.

:P A very good two cents, Cedric! As a matter of fact, since you connected the two fragrances, I went digging through our big box of samples, and there it was . . . Trésor. Although I never would have thought so, before . . . I do smell a similarity between these two fragrances. I don't have Ombre Rose in front of me, but I remember it quite well. I prefer OR to Trésor, which I felt, was not a sophisticated perfume. But, I agree . . . these two scents are 'cousins.' Thanks, Cedric!

Yep OR is part of the great classics. Altho I think Trésor is a very pleasant commercial scent, I agree that is not as chic but I always like to cross someone who wears it.