Code of Conduct

Default Just saw the new Ní5 tv commercial.

They showed it 3 times today on TF1, France most watched channel. .

Well the mini movie (2 min) does not work that well. Ok it's very well photographed and very grand. But did they really needed to put dialogue in it, it makes it just sound very silly. Some the lines "take me away", "I'm a dancer (with silly laugh), "It's beautiful up here." "I will always remember her smile, her kiss...her perfume" And Nicole does her usual look down and crazy eyes thing. Oooooh please! ╩:

It's an event anyway and Kidman is gorgeous.

Now I remember that Chanel did the dialogue thing in the past with Carole Bouquet and it worked much better even if it wasn't as grand.

Default Re: Just saw the new Ní5 tv commercial.

Goodness, Cedric . . . that sounds CORNY! I don't think Mademoiselle, would like it . . . BTW: did you get a look at Kidman's palms?? I read in a tabloid that Nicole's palms have turned red, for some mysterious reason . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Well the mini movie (2 min) does not work that well. Ok it's very well photographed and very grand. But did they really needed to put dialogue in it, it makes it just sound very silly.
    I haven't seen "Number 5" yet, but from your description it sounds corny indeed. Of course the actual tv ad won't be 2 minutes long, so perhaps it won't contain that much dialogue either.

Here's how The Guardian reviewed this 18 million pound production:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/tex...2004-61574.asp
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Here is a link to see the film:

http://media2.adforum.com/zrIf58670C...0_0044112W.MPG

(Can be safe on your PC)

A little bit "campy" as usual with Baz Luhrmann but i really, really like it indeed.

Ooh! the pink dress.................. : : :

They showed the whole ad on Channel 4 on Saturday, during the break of Moulin Rouge!

Thanks for this link, tartanpion! For those of you on dialup: the video is 9.42MB...

I felt like I was watching the trailer of a forthcoming Hollywood movie, and I think this is exactly the effect the director wanted to obtain.

What you get is fast cuts, evocative music, panoramic views, big close-ups, all incredibly well shot. Like Cedric said, it looks grand. From a cinematic point of view Number 5 is very reminiscent of Moulin Rouge, although it's staged in a modern metropolis. I think the opening and end shot are direct references to Moulin Rouge: the romantic sceneries are enveloped in a theatrical mist of melancholy, creating a huge dramatic effect. The fairytale-like narrative is quite obvious, which legitimizes the heavy accent on drama.

The "dialogue" in Number 5 is embedded in a fictional context; what they say is evocative and meaningless at the same time (which is typical for ads anyway). I didn't find it any more silly or disturbing than the storyline itself; it supports the romantic imagery, and I think it does work well in that sense. I don't remember the dialogue in the Carole Bouquet ad, perhaps that was a different concept altogether.

The movie makes a big visual impression: I'm sure the name Chanel will remain imprinted in the viewer's short-term memory for a long time. I think the two minute version looks like a very good advertisement film. I just wonder if they can preserve its evocative strenght in the reduced tv-version.

Marcello
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]

I saw it on Saturday evening too. Honestly did not make me want to try No5 or buy it. Adding here I dislike No5 and it does not like me either.
    DONNA

Hi Marcello . . . thanks for that great review! Mini-movies aside, what's fascinating to me is that Chanel is willing to go to such effort to promote what has been one of the world's best selling fragrances, since its debut. I wonder if this campaign will 'increase' sales?

: Interesting! Thanks for the inside information, Haydn!

the dancer bit aside, i loved the commercial... i'm a bit biased (film student / fragrance sales rep)... i think you'll be seeing this everywhere soon. chanel even made a new tester unit for the campaign (an image of nicole on a black stand to hold the large edp bottle).

they are injecting lots of cash into the number 5 brand as its a huge money maker for them... and they are losing ground to perfumes like angel (angel being the new number one selling fragrance in many countries). this is to try and reclaim the top spot (apparently best selling is more important than best smelling).

Since IÔm not a huge fan of Nicole Kidman (enjoyed her in Moulin Rouge,) No. 5, or even of television for that matter, I must confess that I actually like the spot (thanks Tartanpion.) I do however enjoy all of Baz LuhrmannÔs films, and this mini one was definitely Ńclassicń Baz. I even liked the dialog and found it appropriately campy. Unfortunately it still wonÔt get me to wear No. 5: it stinks on me.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Thanks for the link tartanpion.
    I think it plays like a movie trailer. I had to watch it a couple times. It was very nice.

Ladylonestar

Thanks for all of the information and the links. I love No. 5 but that commercial/advertisement/mini movie does not make me interested in the fragrance at all. I think they should cut about a minute and 30 seconds of it. It simply does not speak to me of fragrance. Just my humble opinion.

I am with Ladylonestar. Nicole Kidman (whom I like as an actress) does not really represent a fragrance like No. 5.

:P Hi ElyseÄ . . . I agree. Moreover, I'm not crazy about Kidman, even as an actress. To me, she's smug. In any case . . . oh, for a glamorous Chanel campaign featuring the feline, calculating, mysterious and ravishing, Vivien Leigh!! :

Though Nicole isn't exactly my idea of a Ní5 woman, either (Carole Bouquet was perfect), she's still a much better match for the scent than Estella Warren, what on earth were they thinking when I chose her??!! :P
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

This thread is dying for a spin-off

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...310004;start=0

:P I still say Vivien Leigh would have been perfect . . . she had everything: elegance, fire, mystery, allure, sexuality, and . . . a GORGEOUS face and smile. Also, that touch of madness. I think Coco Chanel possessed some similar traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    This thread is dying for a spin-off ╩

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...310004;start=0
    Start it up, Marcello!!

Just saw it too!

I agree with Tigrushka : Carole Bouquet was perfect.

:-/ I agree that Carole Bouquet affected a confident, classy chic. Her hair was wispy, though . . . and to my eye, Ms. Bouquet looks a little bit masculine. That's fine . . . often a strong looking face, shows style extremely well; intense beauty can interfere with the eye's ability to separate the model from the products sought to be promoted. Also . . . Ms. Bouquet's look is current, but still high style, and that's difficult to come by, nowadays. They're trying hard with Nicole Kidman, but . . . to me, she looks contrived. Too much makeup, not enough from within . . . she lacks warmth and soul. For me, a 'face' has to radiate some, even while its expression may not say 'come hither.' I don't happen to see this in Kidman. She's coldly ornamental.

Don't wanna go off topic but she ( Carole)was a Bond girl in 1981
    in For Your Eyes only

Ladylonestar

Mgarisbn, let me see if I can help you with the Vivien Leigh photo. Not sure it will work:

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Mgarisbn, let me see if I can help you with the Vivien Leigh photo. ╩Not sure it will work:

A million thanks, Ladylonestar!! I wanted so much to 'show' this photo to those basenoters who are not familiar with my idea of the most beautiful woman . . . and Yves Saint Laurent's, as well. This shot was used in the Alexandra de Markoff makeup campaign, with the caption: 'it was created for the women that every other woman, wanted to look like.' Well put. Ms. Leigh has been 'dead' for decades, but one picture rekindles our memories. Last night I watched GWTW again, just to see her flawless performance. Can you see this face with windswept hair, with a Chanel camelia strategically set, with ANY hat by Chanel . . . to say nothing of the makeup possibilities. Notice too, the drastic part in the hair . . . extremely difficult to pull off. Well, I thank you again, Loney . . . you made my day!!

Nicole Kidman was paid $928,800 dollars per minute, to do the four minute Chanel ad. The actress netted $3.71 million for her efforts. Kidman's salary will be entered into the 'Guinness Book of Records.'

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    Nicole Kidman was paid $928,800 dollars per minute, to do the four minute Chanel ad. ╩The actress netted $3.71 million for her efforts.
    4 minutes? The mini movie only lasts 2 minutes.

:-/ Hi, Marcello . . . are you sure? I just read it again: 'four minute Baz Luhrmann - directed Chanel ad.' And by the way . . . if Chanel can pay Nicole Kidman that much money, the company can afford to fix a faulty bottle design: discussed at the men's forum. :-X

There is a 4 min, a 2 min and a 30 sec version.

:P Thanks, Cedric . . . we can always count on you for the latest and the greatest!

:-/ ╩Hi, Marcello . . . are you sure? ╩I just read it again: ╩'four minute Baz Luhrmann - directed Chanel ad.'
    my mistake :-[ I got the impression that the clip on this thread (which is 2 minutes) was the "full-lenght" version, since the TV-edit version I've seen was much shorter. I was further confused by the link I made on this thread

When the ad is shown in cinemas [...] and in its full-length version on TV, the two minutes of action is followed by a full minute of credits.
    Anyway, I've just seen it again on tv. AMAZING work. JUST amazing. This may very well be an instant classic.

really want to see the full lenght 4 minute version... links?

Vivian Leigh is my all time favorite heroine and ideal female class A beauty. NOBODY comes close IMHO....
    Maybe another fragrance other than Chanel though...

;D Hi, Glorious!!! Well, how COULD any face be any more beautiful? Ms. Leigh is almost, inhuman. Beyond that, so far as I know . . . NO PLASTIC SURGERY. This picture was taken maybe a year or two after GWTW . . . that was a long time, ago . . . maybe 1940 or 41. BTW: when Yves Saint Laurent began to design clothes, every model he sketched, looked like Vivien Leigh. She was his idea of the most beautiful woman, too. As for the fragrance, I think Ms. Leigh could do Chanel . . . but then of course, she's dead. But I have seen dozens of breathtaking shots of her . . . I mean hundreds of them. All of them are amazing, in their way. Anyhow, I thank Ladylonestar again, for posting that ravishing picture . . . those who don't 'know' Vivien Leigh, should experience her, as we have! Thanks for your comments . . .

I like Kidman, I do, but is truly seems as if her overnight creibility as an actress was handed over after three major successes - The Blue Room, Moulin and of course, The Hours. My favorite Nicole role is still To Die For.

...in this Chanel commercial, there are times when she looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Where Bouquet was feminine and sultry at the same time, Kidman almost comes off as slightly deranged.

The sets are wonderful, the use of Chanel couture is wonderful and I love the final scene with the grand staircase and the beautiful black gown. I found the #5 diamond medallion amusing - you KNOW that is gonna be the next mass market acccessory.

Overall, this film will leave a huge impression once seen, bring a huge youth market to the scent and could be instrumental in installing #5 back to #1, dethroning Angel's position.

as for me, I don't like #5...respect it, but don't like it...not one bit.

marlen

and p.s. - isn't it time Chanel came out with a new scent that IS truly groundbreaking?

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    Vivian Leigh is my all time favorite heroine and ideal female class A beauty. NOBODY comes close IMHO....
    Maybe another fragrance other than Chanel though...
    I agree, Glo. Vivien is not a Chanel type, IMHO, either. She's way too tempestuous!

:-/ Tigrushka, what about Chanel don't you find tempestuous?

Vivien seems like a Fracas kinda girl! Sassy yet feminine!

marlen

╩Hi Marlen . . . and Tigrushka,

Well, actually VL's favorite perfume was Joy by Patou. ╩But when she came to my mind (which is often,) for a Chanel ad campaign, it wasn't only Ms. Leigh's stunning appearance, that connected the two women. ╩They have things in common.

Both were intense, deeply artistic women. ╩Both had keen interests in fashion and style.

Both engaged in scandalous love affairs and risked public damnation, as a result.

Both had ties to Yves Saint Laurent. ╩Chanel named Yves as her heir apparent, and VL was Saint Laurent's idea of the most beautiful woman.

Both women enjoyed enormous success and left indelible impressions on the world.

Both of these women had acerbic tongues, and did not hesitate to express their frank opinions.

Moreover, I've often thought of Coco Chanel as the French version of Scarlett O'Hara. ╩Chanel took up with a German officer during WWII; Scarlett dealt with Yankees, in order to survive. ╩Both women were in business, competing against men. ╩Both women were rebels. ╩Both women had flair and style. ╩And both women lost the loves of their lives. ╩To me, VL would be perfect for a Chanel campaign; one picture of a dead Vivien Leigh is worth a million of the live but pallid, Estella Warren. ╩BTW: ╩I USED to think Carole Bouquet was attractive, UNTIL I looked at her picture, then scanned down to Vivien. Good God! :-( ╩And, Marlen . . . I think Nicole Kidman looks a little loony in the Chanel, movie ad.

I would have preferred someone outside the usual ...someone provocative, alluring, tough on the outside but a little shy and fragile on the inside. someone with a luminous quality. Phyllis Diller springs to mind. Try running the Chanel mini-movie thru your mind but replace kidman with diller. ;D

AZTEC

;D Hi Aztec,

We can always count on you, for true inspiration. A friend of mine saw Phyllis Diller up close, four face lifts ago. He said she's not that bad looking. Getting back to the commercial with Kidman: the first time I saw it, I maintained my composure. The second time, I couldn't keep back the giggles. Those loony looks she counts on, for dramatic emphasis . . . finally put me over. But then I've been laughing at lots of 'art', lately . . . including the new move, ALEXANDER. One look at the male lead, was all it took.

:-/ Tigrushka, what about Chanel don't you find tempestuous?
    To be honest, absolutely nothing. :

I find Chanel scents (with the exception of Coco which was inspired by Coco Chanel but launched after her death) very cool, calm, collected, calculated and cold-hearted.

And talking about Vivien Leigh: as masterful as her Scarlett O'Hara was, so was her Blanche DuBois.

Well, there is one woman that beats Vivien by a mile.

those,eye's, that hair and what a style!

http://uk.msnusers.com/angeric/shoeb...&PhotoID=4

sigh...

Eric, has our dear Glo sent you her picture?! ???

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(that's her icon on POL... )

Tigrushka, I wasn't talking just about perfume. I'm speaking of the entire Chanel, 'revolution.' Her ideas were shocking, from using jersey for mainstream apparel, to the elimination of foundations, to the dismissal of lapels on jackets. It took great drive, dimension, and passion to create a 'uniform' for women, much less one which as stood for the ages.

Tigrushka, I wasn't talking just about perfume.
    But I was.

As much as I respect and admire Chanel's groundbreaking work, Schiaparelli (whom Madamoiselle Chanel loathed) is much more to my taste.

Tigrushka . . . Schiaparelli is a whole other, SHOCKING story.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Eric, has our dear Glo sent you her picture?! ╩???

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(that's her icon on POL... )
    ??? ╩LOL! ╩ No she didn't , ╩didn't know that!
    Her icon ? lol!

Hi, Eric . . . you're right. What next? A photo of Hillary Clinton?

LoL!!

Tigrushka . . . Schiaparelli is a whole other, SHOCKING story.
    As an YSL aficionado you might find interesting what Saint Laurent writes in his foreword about Schiaparelli in Palmer White's book Elsa Schiaparelli: Empress of Paris Fashion: "When she died, Chic closed her eyes. Chic alone could have done so. She would not have allowed anyone else."

Yes, I am aware that Schiaparelli made a tremendous impact on Saint Laurent. The trapezoidal shape of his jackets is owed primarly, to her. But Saint Laurent was a 'cocktail' of Balenciaga, Dior, Vionnet, Chanel AND Schiaparelli. He was more versatile than all of them. BTW: I'm more than a YSL fan, I curated an exhibition of Saint Laurent, at my alma mater.