Code of Conduct

Default Help from the experts

Hi!
    I've read the board for a looong time and today i decided to post for the first time.

The holiday season is upon us and i was walking though my favourite downtown department store, i realized (with HORROR!) that an entire wall was devoted to my perfume, Angel. There are all sorts of bottles, ads, testers, posters and little women in black suits pushing the cream and body wash all things celestial.

Now I've worn Angel since the day it came out (not kidding!) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, but i just can't stand that it's become soooooooooo commercial, and i'm ready for a change. I won't abandon it complete (because i LOVE it...!) but i really need an alternative. I can't tell you what i like about it ( i really don't know anything about perfume) so that's why i've come to you all for help.

For my birthday I received Eau des Merveilles (Hermes) which i like ( except that it smells like orange peels when you first spray it) and i also like Lolita Lempicka (apple bottle perfume) and one of the Bvlgari's (can't remember the name....either Trouble or Omnia...the one that has chocolate in it!) But i just can't find one that i love as much as Angel.

I could really use a brilliant suggest of a sensual,sexy,feminine scent that's not over-marketed and that doesn't leave you with a powdery-type scent in the end (that's my main complaint about Addict - another one of my new perfume attempts...)

I'd REALLY appreciate your input!
    Cheers!
    ;D

Default Re: Help from the experts

I totally understand. I've been wearing it since it launched in London in what, '93? I'm not thrilled that it has become so common either, but strangely, Angel is not at all common, popular, or even well-known here in Japan. Partly because Mugler is not a brand name and everything in Japan is about brand names, and because Gourmands are not at all popular here.

Here is the olfactory pyramid for Angel:

Top: Fruit notes, dewberry, melon, peach, helonial
    Middle: Honey, Coumarin
    Base: Chocolate, Vanilla, Caramel, Patchouli

Ok...onto the recommendations...some you will surely recognize immediately, and others you will likely never have heard of. The first group will be common dept store brands, the latter group rarities, or niche scents.

At your local dept store, the following scents all have strong vanilla, chocolate or "desert" notes:

Guerlain Shalimar
    Bulgari Omnia
    Sonia Rykiel Eau de Parfum
    Burberry Brit
    Boucheron Trouble
    MAC MV3
    Castelbajac
    Gabriel Strenesse "Strenesse"
    Hanae Mori
    Must de Cartier
    Prada Eau de Parfum
    Lolita Lempicka
    Joop! pour Femme and Joop! Le Bain

Comptoir Sud Pacifique is a line to check out because many of the fragrances are based on vanilla. Additionally, Amour de Cacao is a wonderful chocolate scent with a hint of almond and orange. You can find them at most Sephora shops.

Moving onto the niche scents:

L'Artisan Dzing!
    Lutens Un Bois Vanille
    Ormonde Jayne "Ormonde"
    Molinard Nirmala (often noted as the inspiration behind Angel)
    Miller Harris Fleur Oriental
    Fragonard Reve Indien, Emilie, Miranda
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fleurs des Comores
    Diptyque Eau Lente
    Antica Farmacista Vaniglia & Mandarino (Vanilla and Mandarin orange!)*this is HIGHLY recommended!
    Etro Heliotrope
    Damien Bash Sin
    Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums "Musc Ravageur"
    Serendipity (named after the shop in NYC - great chocolate scent)

Ok, checkout the Shopping Guide on the community main page to find shops near you or places where you can find samples.

I'm looking forward to hearing what other members have to say. I love Angel and am always interested in alternatives!

p.s. - one of my favorite women's scents is Laur Biagiotti Roma, not too similar to Angel, but worth a sniff!

marlen

Ladylonestar

Hi, Helios! Welcome to Basenotes!

I agree with Marlen. Angel is not at all "common" around my neck of the woods. I only read about it about a year and a half ago and it's not available at any department stores in my area. It's available in other parts of Houston, but not out where I live.

Marlen listed Serendipity, which is actually Serendipitous. I really like this one, but it doesn't speak to me like Angel. It's a very soothing, comforting, occasional fragrance for me. Must de Cartier and Omnia, however, I could wear all the time.

To his fabulous list, I'll add:

Luctor et Emergo, by People of the Labyrinths
    Mauboussin (edp)
    Escada Collection
    Pink Sugar by Aquolina
    Dinner by Bobo
    Fath de Fath
    Femme
    Mitsouko (parfum or edp)
    Misuki (Holzman & Stephanie)

I don't think you'll find any of these "over marketed" at all.

I definitely think you should try Fath de Fath. It's a fragrance from the early 1950s but was relaunched in the mid-90s. It's got a marvelous, deep, juicy peach-patchouli aroma; and not at all powdery! I've gotten a number of compliments on this one.

Ladylonestar

Oh! I almost forgot............ Anne Pliska!

Thank you SO much for these great suggestions!!...Here's the latest update on my quest:

I took the amazing list of suggestions to my favourite fragrance shop. I've decided to try them all, only a few at a time. Today i tried Hanae Mori, Brit, Must, Omnia and Shalimar.

I have to say that Hanae Mori was my favourite, by a longshot. One problem ( ): it's amazing when first sprayed but dries down to become something a little less edgy that it was in the beginning.
    I didn't really like Must and i found that Shalimar and Omnia were a little too 'old' for me (i'm 26).

I read up on Dinner by Bobo...i don'T think they carry it here (in Canada) but i hesitate to order online without even trying it. Does anyone know it?

Thanks again for the GREAT suggestions...i'll keep you posted on what i come up with and if you've got more suggestions, i'll add them to my list!
    ;D

2nd the POTL. It is a fantastic scent.

I'd add Rahat Loukhoum, Fleurs d'Oranger and Fleurs de Citronnier Serge Lutens and Etro Heliotrope.
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

Hi Helios,

Mostly dropping in to say hello and welcome.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said one of the perfumes that you tried, and liked initially, dried down to something less edgy than it was in the beginning.

Angel itself really is edgy- a love/hate. For those who can wear it it seems to border on almost obsessive love. I think its edginess is what has made it so popular.

If you can find them in Canada (?) why not try some of the edgier fragrances out there- like some of the Comme des Garcons, Gothic I & II and as others have said, POTL? Also, have you tried Messe de Minuit by Etro? Itās not like Angel, but itās dark, moist, edgy, interesting and it seems some who enjoy Angel have solidly fallen in love with it.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Ladylonestar

Second the Gothic I and II by Loree Rodkin (Gothic I being my favorite of the two). Thanks, Artisankey.

Thank you all so much for all your help...I hate to admit it, but i haven't heard of half of these suggestions :-/

But i'm VERY excited my new quest for a fragrance. I'm also happy to find out about so many less commercial fragrances.

Since the responses i've gotten so far have been so great, i have another question : Where's the best place to find the niche fragrances? I live in Montreal, which i consider to be a cosmopolitain city, but i can't imagine where in the city i would find these fragrances...and buying online is risky...any suggestions ??? ???

THANKS!

MJH

Welcome to Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Helios
    Since the responses i've gotten so far have been so great, i have another question : Where's the best place to find the niche fragrances? I live in Montreal, which i consider to be a cosmopolitain city, but i can't imagine where in the city i would find these fragrances...and buying online is risky...any suggestions ??? ???
    Well, Helios, I'm not a Canadian, but I know we have a number of Basenoters based in Montreal. I did a search for threads mentioning Montreal, and came up with these threads:
    http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...576443;start=0

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...366108;start=0

and mentions of several specific stores located in Montreal:
    Ogilvy's
    Holt's
    La Baie

And here's a thread in the Shopping Guides section with various suppliers of samples:
    http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...num=1098492212

I know that all the scents listed above aren't available at the stores and E-tailers on these threads, but these may be a useful start.

Hi Helios,

I think you would enjoy Nuit de Noel, by Caron. Also, you might like Magie Noire, from Lancome. Welcome!