Code of Conduct

Default Versace Crystal noir

This on smells nice but like some kind of vegetable. Which one? It lasts forever though.

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Versace Crystal noir

Hmm... I don't get a vegetable, Mariusg82. Maybe you're picking up a "green" note? It seems very musky to me even though the only notes I've seen listed are gardenia and amber. It's that musk note that seems common in recent launches -- ultra sweet and very unnatural. Mainly I pick up sweet-floral- musky, maybe a little sandalwood, but my sample is a small blotter thing and not a liquid dab-on or spray-on so I could be way off mark. It's hard to get a good read with this sample.

:-X To me, everything Versace is vulgar. The clothes, the fragrances, the accessories . . . Donatella, too. :-X

Especially Donatella!

:-[ :P
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

;D ;D Call me vulgar... but I actually like that Crystal Noir bottle. I want one! ;D

I'd never call you vulgar, Ladylonestar. But Donatella looks like an Italian . . . well, anyway. She's rich enough, already. A lot of good it did her . . . check out those pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    ;D ;D Call me vulgar... but I actually like that Crystal Noir bottle. I want one! ;D
    Beware, Lady L! Before you know it you might want to try to "donatella" your image a bit...

;D ;D ;D

Serpent

The bottle, well, it's got a weird topsy-turvy thing going on that I can dig. The oversize, almost ludicrously large topper is almost fun. But the juice, well, it's like something five-year-old girls would like. It smells like Pixie Stix to me. It's so sweet and so sour and just too lollipop. It's very Mariah Carey. Versace can put out some lovely things from time to time; every so often, you'll find a truly beautiful dress or suit in their boutique. But you have to wade though so much Roman orgy-mafioso trash to get to it. It's just not worth it. Go to Dolce and Gabbana instead. You'll get the same crazy-sexy Italian vibe, but much nicer, much tamer, much less insane. It all just looks like it's designed by a drug addict these days...

Serpent

And then I scrolled up after posting to see Tigs posted a pic of Mariah Carey! It's scary when we get on the same wavelength, ma ch¸re tigresse...

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    And then I scrolled up after posting to see Tigs posted a pic of Mariah Carey! It's scary when we get on the same wavelength, ma ch¸re tigresse...
    ;D ;D ;D

:-*

I posted that pic because Donatella looks so - ahem - radiant in it but Pariah Scarey was also there bursting out of her dress... :

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

;D ;D ;D

:-*

I posted that pic because Donatella looks so - ahem - radiant in it but Pariah Scarey was also there bursting out of her dress... Ź:
    Oh, was Pariah wearing a dress? I didn't see it. ;D

Oh, was Pariah wearing a dress? I didn't see it. ;D
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

8) Donatella makes Mariah look like a paragon of style. I'm probably naive, but how has Donatella been able to interest anyone in her 'designs??' This woman looks so cheap . . . her taste is bad news . . . I have never bought anything from that house, and never will. :-X Obviously, many people disagree with me.

Donatella's most loyal customers don't have much taste themselves and are more undressed than dressed so no wonder. I mean: Scarey, Britney, Christina...

:-X Like I said: I'm being naive. But, still: to be able to interest enough buyers, etc., to keep that house in business . . . it's truly a depressing commentary. Donatella is the absolute antithesis of Italian high fashion. I was disappointed too, that the Metropolitan in New York, did an exhbition of Versace. :-((

Serpent

Madonna spent her Thanksgiving holiday shooting the new Versace campaign. Apparently they had to pay her a king's ransom; the house, which is in rather desperate financial straits, needs some publicity badly. But Madonna's said to love the new line and is keeping all the clothes, too. So, if they're going on a 46-year-old who spent her last tour swathed in Stella McCartney, Christian Lacroix, and Chanel, maybe there's something positive going on.

Serp, sorry but Stella McCartney is almost in the Versace league when it comes to tackiness, IMO. I've never seen a single piece of clothing designed by her I would have liked. Those pants from her Chloe collections made even the rail-thin models look like giant pears! :P

And I almost added Madonna to the list I started...

:-X Agreed on Stella. Agreed on Madonna. Is it any wonder that Saint Laurent retired?

Serpent

Yes, Madonna has made many questionable fashion choices, however influential they may have been. Ź(Besides being the first star in Stella McCartney and Versace, she was also one of the first American stars to embrace Tom Ford's new Gucci look at the MTV VMAs in 1995, the one where Courtney Love threw her compact at her. ŹAnd when everyone else promptly followed suit, she was never seen in Tom Ford again.)

But besides championing the questionable talents of McCartney and Versace, she also brought Jean-Paul Gaultier to the forefront, as well as giving Dolce and Gabbana their first major international exposure when they designed her 1993 world tour. ŹAnd for her 1998 career reinvention, she chose an unknown Belgian designer named Olivier Theyskens to design for her. ŹNow he designs for Rochas. ŹSo yeah, she's had her moments, but please refrain from putting Madonna in the same low league as Britney, Mariah, et al. ŹShe's got way more taste than them.

I said "almost".

The thing with Madonna is she's never really had a style of her own (except in her "Boy Toy Period", the way she looked like in Desperately Seeking Susan), she's a chameleon and I can't see a chameleon as a true style icon. To be a true style icon you must have your own style.

Serpent

Oh, too true. But she's always ten steps ahead of all the others hunting out the same thing. Madonna finds the true innovators, and then everyone just follows Madonna.

I keep going back to that middle photo of Donatella. I'm going to have nightmares about that...

I keep going back to that middle photo of Donatella. I'm going to have nightmares about that...
    What scares me most is that she thinks she looks good like that! And what about those strapped pancakes in the first photo!

Yes, Madonna has made many questionable fashion choices, however influential they may have been. Ź(Besides being the first star in Stella McCartney and Versace, she was also one of the first American stars to embrace Tom Ford's new Gucci look at the MTV VMAs in 1995, the one where Courtney Love threw her compact at her. ŹAnd when everyone else promptly followed suit, she was never seen in Tom Ford again.)

But besides championing the questionable talents of McCartney and Versace, she also brought Jean-Paul Gaultier to the forefront, as well as giving Dolce and Gabbana their first major international exposure when they designed her 1993 world tour. ŹAnd for her 1998 career reinvention, she chose an unknown Belgian designer named Olivier Theyskens to design for her. ŹNow he designs for Rochas. ŹSo yeah, she's had her moments, but please refrain from putting Madonna in the same low league as Britney, Mariah, et al. ŹShe's got way more taste than them.
    Madonna is a shrewd businesswoman. She doesn't know anything about clothes, and she doesn't care anything about clothes.

Serpent

You want scary? I take it the good people of Helsinki have been spared a Versace boutique? One of the offerings this summer was a t-shirt which had a fluorescent, Warhol-inspired print of - You guessed it! - Donatella Versace! That's right! You could wear a picture that wasn't too dissimilar to the picture of Flapjack Fanny at the top all over yourself! And it would only cost you several hundred dollars to do so!

And it's a wonder this woman's on drugs? It's a surprise this company's going bankrupt? Even Crystal Noir smells more than a bit insane...

Serpent

Maybe they should have called it "Versace Crystal Meth"? Just a thought...

Thank goodness there's no Versace boutique here but I've seen photos of those "Donatella by Warhol" t-shirts. :P :P :P However there's now a Versace exhibition at the Design Museum. http://www.designmuseum.fi/ And yes: I am not going to see it!!!

Ladylonestar

You want scary? ŹI take it the good people of Helsinki have been spared a Versace boutique? ŹOne of the offerings this summer was a t-shirt which had a fluorescent, Warhol-inspired print of - You guessed it! - Donatella Versace! ŹThat's right! ŹYou could wear a picture that wasn't too dissimilar to the picture of Flapjack Fanny at the top all over yourself! ŹAnd it would only cost you several hundred dollars to do so!
    Well.... I know this is getting way off the topic of Crystal Noir (I still want that bottle!), but in the third photo with Pariah Scarey... what is it that Donatella is wearing? See it, underneath her hair? What exactly is that -- a caricature of herself? I don't know... if you don't really focus, it looks kind of.... weird. ;D

Well.... I know this is getting way off the topic of Crystal Noir (I still want that bottle!), but in the third photo with Pariah Scarey... what is it that Donatella is wearing? See it, underneath her hair? What exactly is that -- a caricature of herself? I don't know... if you don't really focus, it looks kind of.... weird. ;D
    Sorry for getting off-topic, Lady L. :-[ But Donatella always gets everybody going! ;D

I noticed her t-shirt, too! But she's already a caricature of herself, so doesn't make much difference.

Don't worry about the bottle, Lady L I'm sure you'll get it (at least almost) for free after CN gets discontinued (which will probably happen pretty soon).

Well.... I know this is getting way off the topic of Crystal Noir (I still want that bottle!), but in the third photo with Pariah Scarey... what is it that Donatella is wearing? ŹSee it, underneath her hair? ŹWhat exactly is that -- a caricature of herself? ŹI don't know... if you don't really focus, it looks kind of.... weird. ;D
    :P Hi Ladylonestar: if you DO really focus, it looks kind of weird. I wonder how she got Pablo Picasso, to do her makeup? What gets me, is that these slick, Versace people have actually built a big business!! Not an easy thing, to do. As I said . . . I have not bought so much as a single, snake headed accessory from Versace. I never will. But lots of other people have . . . go, Donatella! Go, Santo!