Code of Conduct

Default I found Caron Heaven

There I was walking in a mall which I have visited many times in the little city of Manama in Bahrain and lo and behold... A CARON PERFUME BOUTIQUE stood right before me. It was not a mirage.

I walked out with 6 sample strips as well as Yatagan on one hand and L'Anarchiste on the other.

The ones I tested are and in order of preference:

Parfum Sacre EDP
    Tabac Blond EDT
    Narcisse Noir EDT
    Nocturne EDT

Nocturne stands out as being the most immediately easy to wear.

Parfum Sacre is frighteningly complex (as are the majority) and take a while to unfold into its full glory.

Tabac Blond is very similar to something else I know...maybe L'Heure Bleue?

Narcisse Noir is very creamy to my nose and wraps you up in its big arms and warms you up.

Not so impressed with:
    Bellodgia EDT
    Nuit de Noel EDT

I do not have a final verdict because I tested most just on strips and not on my skin. I tested the Parfum Sacre on my wrist but it disappeared in minutes. Any issues with tenacity?

Yatagan and Anarchiste did much better in terms of strength and tenacity but I must say, I prefer L'Anarchiste.

Will test some more today. Royal Bain de Champagne is top of my list.

They have an interesting line-up of wall mounted glass dispensers (with little taps) containing extraits of various perfumes which I MUST take a closer look at.  ;D

Default Re: I found Caron Heaven

Wow that sounds great.
    The Carons I have tried are:
    Bellodgia EDP: one of the best carnation scents around.
    Parfum Sacre edp: wonderfuly complex. I absolutely love this.
    Yatagan: I love Yatagan. It is wonderfully spicy and eventhough it is a men's scent I sneak over to DH perfume tray and spritz it on.....mmmm
    Nuit de noel edt- there is a note in there that just doesn't sgree with me....sometimes when I wear bain de caron I get the same thought...but I haven't done a note comparion to really find out what it is.

IMHO Caron fragrances often smell oldfashioned on paper strips but once you wear them they become very voluptuous and rich. I just experienced this again last week with Nuit de Noel: kind of "your-aunt-you-only-see-when-there-is-a-funeral-in-the-family" on paper...but exotic orange blossom and vetiver on me.

Fleur de Rocaille is my favorite thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Nuit de Noel: kind of "your-aunt-you-only-see-when-there-is-a-funeral-in-the-family" on paper...but exotic orange blossom and vetiver on me.
    great image...captures it exactly. maybe these aunts have a secret life of passion that we never realize!

AZTEC

OH the urns!!!!!!

You really need to try Nuit de Noel and Narcisse Noir in parfum they will blow your socks off.

I agree also Belladgio in edp is far superior than the edt.

You must try Alpona an urn fragrance which is sublime.
    DONNA

Thanks everyone...I am starting to get the hang of the Caron line with every response. Donna, unfortunately, they are quite stingy with their testers and the only ones they have are the EDT ones (except Parfum Sacre) and the "urns".

From your experience, can anyone tell me how they do with:
    1) sillage
    2) tenacity

in EDP format?

Do try the new Tubereuse parfum if they have it, is is really lovely -- if you like Tuberose, of course.

I adore Carons. What a great house to explore.

Alpona is going to be my next purchase!!!
    Narcisse Noir is amazing and so is Tabac blond
    Or et Noir is another gorgeous dark rose and to me (a rose hater) is magical.

I find the extraits are really the way to go with Caron
    it does make all the difference in the world.

How wonderful you found a caron Boutique near you. The urns are so beautiful. Wouldn't mind one of those in the bathroom of one of my many mansions....HA HA HA
    that will be in the next lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by justcurious
    Do try the new Tubereuse parfum if they have it, is is really lovely -- if you like Tuberose, of course.
    They have a new perfume?

Thanks Buffalo Gal, I will certainly keep an eye out for Tubereuse. I do indeed love white flowers and any tuberose.

I didn't have a chance to drop in to the boutique today but perhaps tomorrow.

OH, I knew I had forgotten to mention some vital information: right next door to Caron heaven, I found a newly opened Dyptique boutique...well, no products displayed yet, but they said this weekend.

I am so glad Bahrain is only a 45 minute flight away.
    Can you guess what my next thread will be about? ;D

They have a new perfume?  
    Yep!! It's the best Tubereuse I've ever smelled...even better than MPG Tubereuse. So creamy and delicious!!
    It only comes in the extrait.

Alpona is an urn fragrance so ask to test that.

Caron seem to do edp in only a few fragrances,which is sad. I think Narcisse Noir would really suit edp version. The Belladgio is wonderful warm spicy clove carnation in the edp and yes it does last on the skin. I tested the edt and its not that the edp is stronger more body and depth as everyone says.

So now just get struck into testing the urns,they are all parfum. Narcisse Blanc is a favourite of mine and French CanCan.
    DONNA

Hi Iman,

Fleurs de Rocaille and Infini are both gorgeous scents . . . so many Caron fragrances are delicious. As for the 'strip' testing . . . I'm becoming more and more displeased by scent strips. I can't get a beginning, middle and end to a fragrance, when I test with a strip. Even a quick spritz on the skin is more lush. I agree that Nuit de Noel is far more impressive in its stonger strengths. Narcisse Noir is a quirky fragrance . . . I find it to be somewhat 'obstinate,' in its way. But you'll stand out if you wear it, that's for sure. BTW: Fleurs de Rocaille is the fragrance that Al Pacino singles out, at the conclusion of SCENT OF A WOMAN. I'm talking about the ORIGINAL, not the 'modernized' version, which lacks the 's' on Fleurs.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    Fleurs de Rocaille and Infini are both gorgeous scents . . .
    You said it, Mgarisbn! Fleurs de Rocaille takes my breath away, it's so gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    You said it, Mgarisbn!  Fleurs de Rocaille takes my breath away, it's so gorgeous.
    The Extrait is half price here

http://www.gabriele-kraetschmer.de/s...23_167_175_189

Ladylonestar

Oh, good heavens, CoL! Don't be showing me things like that. She's having fantastic sales right now. I should just sign over my bank account to her!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Oh, good heavens, CoL!  Don't be showing me things like that.  She's having fantastic sales right now.  I should just sign over my bank account to her!
    :

I know the feeling! ;D

OK that is actually the new 1993 version. It should be Fleur not Fleurs. I know as I phoned and asked about this a while back. Fleurs is no longer available in extract,why ??????? Who bloody knows why Caron keep extract in the new Fleur which is awful and not the classic 1933 Fleurs.
    DONNA

Hi Iman,

Parfum Sacre is one of my favorite perfumes. (Alas, they have stopped making the parfum, it now only in EDP [well maybe in EDT, but I never use EDT]). I am one of those people who wear only one fragrance at a time for years. I switched to Parfum Sacre two years ago after wearing Mitsouko for 25 years. I have no problem with staying power with it. I frequently do have a problem with fragrance disappearing on me almost immediately so this was an important criteria when I was searching for my new signature.

As for sillage, it stays rather close to the skin on me, but definitely makes a statement up close.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Kisa

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by Iman
    They have an interesting line-up of wall mounted glass dispensers (with little taps) containing extraits of various perfumes which I MUST take a closer look at. ;D
    Oh yes, the fabled urns! I love nearly every Caron I've tried, but the urn fragrances in particular are some of the great examples of 'Haute Parfumerie' (sp?).

Tabac Blond is the closest thing I have to a HG, and Royal Bain (de Champagne/de Caron), Yatagan, Pour un Homme and several others scents are true loves. I like (but don't love) L'Anarchiste, and find many of the more specifically 'female' scents (Fleurs de Rocaille, Infini, Nocturnes) to be disturbingly beautiful. I consider myself very privileged to have been able to sample so many of them in extrait.

Quote Originally Posted by Iman
    I am so glad Bahrain is only a 45 minute flight away.
    Can you guess what my next thread will be about? ;D
    And there's your excuse to demand samples of all the urn fragrances! "But, I've flown in just to sample Alpona: surely you can make a sample for me to try at home?"

IMHO Caron fragrances often smell oldfashioned on paper strips but once you wear them they become very voluptuous and rich.
    Thank you, Cedric! Many months ago you posted that you thought Caron's scents were dated and old-fashioned, and shocked my sensibilities! I'm relieved to see that you've been successfully converted.

Here in the US, I recently received a post card from the Caron Boutique in NYC announcing their sale (November 29 - December 5). They let me pre-book my order yesterday: I can't say what I ordered until I receive it (for fear of jinxing the order). Be forewarned: during their last sale, I called and placed an order, but was told that the discount (20% at the time) was only for established customers, and that I didn't qualify. I still placed an order (figuring it was just a matter of time before I became an 'established customer') and I saw that they did give me the discount after all. 8) Caron NYC: 1-212-319-4888 or 1-877-88-CARON.

I've been waiting for the sale. I too will be calling but would like to know what was the scent discussed here a few months ago? Alpona? Would anyone care to refresh my memory? I think my favorite point about the older Carons is the element of darkness that lurks in the base of each; that's where the mystery lies. Some of the older Patou's have this feeling as well. Narcisse Noir and Tabac Blond are so dense they almost have a soul.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Gewisse / Scentous
    I've been waiting for the sale.  I too will be calling but would like to know what was the scent discussed here a few months ago?  Alpona? Would anyone care to refresh my memory?  I think my favorite point about the older Carons is the element of darkness that lurks in the base of each; that's where the mystery lies.  Some of the older Patou's have this feeling as well.  Narcisse Noir and Tabac Blond are so dense they almost have a soul.  
    Wow! Beautiful, Scentous -- "... element of darkness that lurks in the base of each... where the mystery lies". You will love what Donna wrote about Alpona. Hope she doesn't mind that I quote her here:

DONNA (from previous threads): "Have you ever smelt a fragrance so wonderful you just want to drown in it? Cover yourself from head to toe and to hell with knocking half the room out with the sillage?

I find myself with a lust like urge to keep sniffing this wonder of perfection. I have other fragrances which I do love and could not see myself ever being without. But Alpona is like a mad passion,I just want to open the tiny vial and smell it like a crazed addict.

This is a strange chypre,yes it has oakmoss and patchouli but the thyme and myrrh seem to add a strange magic. Lush and ripe keep springing to mind when sniffing Alpona."

Isn't that wonderful?! I was able to test/sample Alpona thanks to Mark. It strikes me as a most unchypre chypre. I think it's beautiful.

Caron is a house that I'm not familiar with. Nuit de Noel and Parfum Sacre are the only two I've ever tried, but someday in this lifetime I just have to give Tabac Blond a shot.

Love your description of Nuit de Noel, Cedric. ;D
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West