Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default WOO HOOO! CDG Synthetic series six tar

Just won a new bottle of this off eBay UK!

Anyone tried it, Ive not tested any of the Synthetic range.

Cheers

CoL

Ladylonestar

Default Re: WOO HOOO! CDG Synthetic series six tar

It's "tar", CoL! You're going to wear "tar"! That can't be good, can it? Just kidding with you. I've never tried it. I hope you love it and you tell us all about it!

Serpent

You know, LadyL., the Synthetic Series scents are all really quite wearable. When all is said and done, the fragrances in this line are all really a commentary on contemporary mass-market fragrances, especially designer and especially especially American designer scents. To my nose, they really play like Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Kenneth Cole, or those myriad other "fresh," "clean" scents that are still so popular with the overwashed masses stateside. What they do is take the hypersynthetic qualities of fragrances like Mania, Hugo, Tommy Girl, Romance, Acqua di Giė, etc., etc., and push them to the limit with notes that are generally considered disagreeable but still complimentary to the beds of artificial musks and woods they are set in. It's really quite brilliant and sneaky, and as a scent that smells like a freshly resurfaced roadway or laundry processing plant slowly starts to resemble L'Eau d'Issey or Truth, it really makes one wonder how "fresh" and "clean" those "fresh" and "clean" scents really are.

Post Thanks / Like

Tar is my second fav from the series. The first is Garage, hehe. It is asphalt + sth warm and floral, sth could be brought by wind from far away. Very "nice" to wear (and to remind extreme hot summer days:-)
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    You know, LadyL., the Synthetic Series scents are all really quite wearable.  When all is said and done, the fragrances in this line are all really a commentary on contemporary mass-market fragrances, especially designer and especially especially American designer scents.  To my nose, they really play like Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Kenneth Cole, or those myriad other "fresh," "clean" scents that are still so popular with the overwashed masses stateside.  What they do is take the hypersynthetic qualities of fragrances like Mania, Hugo, Tommy Girl, Romance, Acqua di Giė, etc., etc., and push them to the limit with notes that are  generally considered disagreeable but still complimentary to the beds of artificial musks and woods they are set in.  It's really quite brilliant and sneaky, and as a scent that smells like a freshly resurfaced roadway or laundry processing plant slowly starts to resemble L'Eau d'Issey or Truth, it really makes one wonder how "fresh" and "clean" those "fresh" and "clean" scents really are.
    what a great observation... ...as usual!

I tried Tar the other day actually and it has a thick deep syrupy quality along with a "burning" or smokey note...it reminded me ever-so-slightly of Knize Ten! The dry-down was great, a bit sweet, and lasted for hours. I can`t wait to try the others!

marlen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats, CoL!

I find Tar the most "urban" one of the Synthetics, it doesn't really smell like tar (I love the smell of tar, btw! Might be a Finnish thing... ) but like asphalt and smog.

Here's the scoop from http://www.luckyscent.com

Tar EDT by Comme des Garćons

the scoop
    A speedway on a scorching afternoon. Hot asphalt on a Roman street filled with car exhaust and the scent of fine leather-soled shoes softening on the pavement. Tar is for the brave, for those who find the smell of a crowded, polluted city and all its modern trappings a thing of glory. The earth notes and resinous opoponax lurk quietly, giving Tar a quirk that picks your face off the pavement just for a second. Virile and weirdly familiar, it's not for the faint of heart. This is man versus the modern world, and the modern world wins.

Tar notes
    town gas, vapours of bitumen, bergamot, earth notes, opoponax, styrax, grilled cigarettes, pyrogenic notes

Serp, this was brilliant:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    those myriad other "fresh," "clean" scents that are still so popular with the overwashed masses stateside.
    "overwashed masses" ;D ;D ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

What exactly is "grilled cigarettes"? ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    What exactly is "grilled cigarettes"? ???
    Its when you put a pack under a spotlight and question them for hours on end : :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well it arrived today and I am very impressed!

I was a little worried that it would be unwearable but not the case!

I get a rubbery/tarish smell from it, very like Bulgari Black. To me its Bulgari Black taken to the next level.

Powerful stuff!

Ladylonestar

It's "tar", CoL! You're going to wear "tar"! ;D ;D Just kidding AGAIN. But... can you smell the grilled cigarettes? ??? Hope you enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

CoL, glad to hear you like Tar! Must wear mine soon.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

I got "Dry Clean" two days ago, and I totally love it. I bought it because I read about here at Basenotes. "Dry Clean" is great, it's really like stepping into a laundry. It smells fresh, clean and pleasant. The chemical note isn't as strong as you would think when you read the list of featured notes.
    I'd love to try the other ones ;D

Post Thanks / Like

I find I'm looking forward to trying all of these. I don't actually wear any CdG scents, but I really respect the line and what the perfumers are trying to create. I find them all fascinating- especially the more industrially evocative creations.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu