Code of Conduct

Default Become a Basenotes Supporting Member

Hi all,

I've been running Basenotes for just over five years now, and enjoy doing so. The users of the Basenotes Community are amongst the nicest people I know and really help make this site what it is. The site has grown tremendously over the last five years - I think the first month saw about 80 visitors, we now regularly get tens of thousands of visitors to the site each month.

Unfortunately, this popularity comes at a cost. The expenses for the site now cost me each month, what it cost me for the whole year of 2003. Advertising helps foot some of this bill, but the shortfall is costing me more and more each month.

This is why we are now introducing Supporting Memberships. - For a small monthly fee, members can gain some extra features, and help out the site.

No-one is obliged to become a Supporting Member, and you will not lose any of the current site features if you do not become a Supporting Member.

If you do want to become a Supporting Member, here are the benefits to you:

• Choose your own Wardrobe Icon from over 100 different choices.
    • When writing reviews in the Directory, they will appear instantly
    • Private Discussion Board for Supporters
    • Supporter Badge - will appear on your posts to say that you support the site
    • Ad-free forum (Available from 20th October).

We will be adding more and more features over the coming months.

If you are interested in subscribing, more information is available here:

Becoming a Supporting Member

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments please reply to this thread.

Thanks once again for all of your support.

Kindest regards

Grant Osborne

[edit]7.22 AM GMT 6 OCT 2005: Premium membership has been renamed Supporting Membership. Thanks for the feedback![/edit]

Default Re: Become a Basenotes Premium Member

Can you ensure that no one posts any 'What turns chicks on' threads on the Premium Board? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Can you ensure that no one posts any 'What turns chicks on' threads on the Premium Board? *;D
    LOL! Members who start a "What turns chicks on" thread will be pulverised!

Default Excuse me, but what is this Premium business?

I thought I might have needed my glasses a moment ago. But I am wrong.
    What , praytell, is this Premium members business? I like a great many of the recent changes. But what has required a higher tier for another group of members?
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Default Re: Excuse me, but what is this Premium business?

As usual, it all comes down to money!

(Understandably, I think, in this case).

Frankly I don't care about the premium status, five bucks a month is a tiny donation and if it help keep the site running, I'm all for it.

My sentiments exactly ...

Considering the insane amount of money most of us here on Basenotes spend on fragrances ... 5 bucks a month is nothing to most of us, but a lot to Grant.

Grant,

I am all for all of us contributing to the up keep of the site with financial contributions. In fact, I will gladly pay the yearly amount through my Paypal account, but I do not want to be a Premium member. I will forego that "privilege".

My reason is that a privileged access Premium Discussion Board strikes me as inherently contrary to the free, joyous, and open exchange of knowledge that makes this place so wonderful. To close off such a forum to those who haven't or are unable to contribute strikes me as a major shift in policy and culture. After all, "Guests" can access the regular forums. It seems odd that only some members would be able to access all forums.

As I said, I am more than happy to make a yearly commitment to pay whatever it takes so that you don't lose money from your pocket because I love this place so much, and I am sure you will find that many others feel like I do. I am surprised you didn't float the idea of voluntary contributions. You could still offer some incentives (like instant uploading of reviews; I like that idea a lot), but the idea of creating a separate, elite, "Premium" class of Basenoters just doesn't sit right with me.

I really respect and admire what you have built here at Basenotes. I think that if you float the idea of voluntary contributions without "elite" status and without the privileged access Premium Members board, you will be pleasantly surprised how many others also respect and admire what you've done and will support you in whatever way they can.

I think to make the voluntary contribution system work, you should keep it as you've proposed: a monthly or yearly payment taken out of one's Paypal account so that our commitment stays a commitment and so we don't backslide and force you to take other more drastic measures.

Respectfully,

scentemental

Hi Scentemental - thanks for your views. I've added this thread to the Announcements. I'm open to hear what everyone thinks, please let me know.

I agree with Scentemental's sentiments. Also, with voluntary contributions, people may come forward who choose to donate MUCH MORE than $5 per month in a one time chunk! Perhaps the option for ongoing committment and one time gift?

I do understand your point about the separate board, but having some experience with that type of thing, if people don't like the concept, they don't have to use it. The bottom line is that Grant can't afford to keep running this place that all of us keep hold so dearly and that he's trying to give us some added "perks" for helping the place go. This wasn't an arbitrary decision and input was given about things. I understand your point, but I see the reasoning behind it. The bottom line is trying to give the people who contribute something extra. I really don't feel comfortable with the fact that this board actually costs Grant a great deal more than just time. so therefore, I totally understand. It isn't meant as an aim at segmenting or being "elitist" it's simply trying ton encourage/say thank-you to the people who are helping out in supporting everything. The Voluntary contributions are fine in theory, but I can vouch for in the move to EZboard, which cost me only a few dollars, there was only 1 person who offered to help out there (even though it was only like 10 dollars), so while voluntary contributions might work for a short time, in the long run they'll most likely be ignogred. When you're looking at hits in the 5 to 6 figures the bandwidth bill gets gargantuan and you need the income. Grant's intention is not to cause disharmony or discourage free thought. i also really don't see that happening as it hasn't happened before this point.

My experience with a company that runs a somewhat well-know web site (that shall be nameless) has taught me many things, but none more true than this:

We tend to value more those things for which we pay, as opposed to those that we receive for free.

Peaceout.

Griff
    Griff

My comments:

1) The separate Premium Members Board; perks are great but I don't see the value in this one.

2) The term "Premium Member"; it does strike me as being distastefully elitist. I would suggest the term "Supporting Member".

3) $50/year - while I can afford this it is at a price point where I have to stop and think about it. Based on my sampling of one person's opinion (me), I would think that you would get many more members at $20-25/year.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Wow, I wasn't even aware, that this might cost a lot of money ! THANKS A LOT for doing all that, Grant !
    I just donated the annual amount, but I also agree with scentemental, I am not a fan of priviliged access for priviliged members. I like it the way it is. And I also agree with dcampen, "Suppporting Member" sounds much nicer .

I think thats a good point!

Supporting member does sound nice!

Hmmmmm......

Other than "Supporting Member" sounds a bit more people friendly ... I really don't care which one is used.

I think this idea of being a supporting/premium member by paying a few extra bucks a month (or year) is great. My only concern is the separate board for these members. By far, the most posts on this site have been in the Male Fragrance Discussion. I really don't see the need for a separate board because how much different, or more enriching, can a persons opinion paying a premium be, than a non-paying poster on the regular MFD board? I also see far less dicussions being on that board. Even premium members are going to pop in the MFD board often because that's where most of the discussion is. Likely, if I were non premium member, my image of that board might be somewhat "snobbish". However, I would like to see a separate area for premium members to be permitted to go to kinda "feel" the premium status. Maybe an area of special articles or links. Something of the nature of feeling special for supporting the site.

Other than that, I love being able to change my wardrobe icon and having a reveiw posted immediately.

Supporting member does have a nicer ring to it

I'll change it to 'Supporters' in the morning!!

I can fully understand Grant needing money to run this great site. No free lunch, someone has to pay for it.

I like the connotation of "Supporting Member". I like it when someone supports my member! As long as she is hot.

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with the Supporting member name change.

Works for me. I can't believe this place has been run by Grant for free all of this time anyway.

How do I join/pay?

How about "Patron of Basenotes". Artists of the past (and of today) always survived on having patrons and it still fits. Just another possible alternative to premium or supporting / supporter.

And what about payment options for those of us who don't / refuse to use PayPal? Is there some way to get money to you? Maybe I could send a $50 money order to Paul G or some other member who could then pay you via PayPal on my behalf?

Default Re: Become a Basenotes Supporting Member

I think I've changed all the references to Premium Members now.

Due to popular demand the name has been changed. This has involved some back-end code-tweaking, so some features may not work (haven't tested them yet).

In answer to some responses:

* Yes 'Premium' was a bit elitist. Supporting is better, and more accurate.
    * You can join by going here http://www.basenotes.net/subscribe/
    * If you do not wish to use Paypal email me and I'll send details of where a cheque / money order can be made. (yearly memberships only though)
    *Supporter/Premium board. I take on board some of the points, but in reality I don't think it will be used much - it's there as an extra - a nicety. People post on forums to get feedback, the less members a board gets, the less feedback is given. I'm certain that most premium members will continue to use the public boards as usual.

is it just my computer but when i click on the above link to become a supporting member I keep getting that 404 error Not found page.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Fragranceguy31 View Post
    is it just my computer but when i click on the above link to become a supporting member I keep getting that 404 error Not found page.
    I checked and got the same as you did Fragranceguy31. I guess the link is not working.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

If you click on any of the bnplus logo's above it will take you to where you want to go.

Well I've paid to be a supporting member, but nothing has changed. . . I've tried logging out and back in again . . . I've tried writing to the email address supplied on the PayPal receipt . . . I've tried writing to the support email address in the 'Contact us' section of the website.

Nothing. Not so much as an automated response.

Perhaps this will get someones attention?
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Become a Basenotes Supporting Member

Thanks 30 Roses - I'd spotted that but Grant had been in touch before-hand anyway and as you can see it's now fixed (well for me anyway, he may well be still working on the problem for others affected).

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Well I've paid to be a supporting member, but nothing has changed. . . I've tried logging out and back in again [. . .]

Nothing. Not so much as an automated response.
    Just now had the same problem.
    For Swap
    YSL Body Kouros (3.3oz w/ box) * Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male (2.5oz w/ can) * L'Instant de Guerlain EDT (4.2oz w/ box) (all bottles 90%+)

Looking For (not limited to)
    YSL Live Jazz * Chanel Egoiste

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Mandolinist, email your problem to: support@basenotes.net

Hi Grant,
    Thanks for all your hard work. I have been a supporting member and wish to continue being one. However, I am lazy and not particularly good at record keeping or anything that involves memory and dates. Do we, by chance, receive a note telling us when our year is up or is it on the honor system? Just wondering.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

JDBIII,
    I found that my yearly membership renews automatically via PayPal.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 22nd September 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I did a bit of checking.

Here is how to locate your Basenotes subscription in PayPal.

Under My Account, click on Profile.
    The page that opens up has a box on the left; the second item is My money (it seems to open automatically to My Money.)
    The last item on my list is My preapproved payments. To see your subscriptions, click on update and you will see the Basenotes subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I think I've changed all the references to Premium Members now.

Due to popular demand the name has been changed. This has involved some back-end code-tweaking, so some features may not work (haven't tested them yet).

In answer to some responses:

* Yes 'Premium' was a bit elitist. Supporting is better, and more accurate.
    * You can join by going here http://www.basenotes.net/subscribe/
    * If you do not wish to use Paypal email me and I'll send details of where a cheque / money order can be made. (yearly memberships only though)
    *Supporter/Premium board. I take on board some of the points, but in reality I don't think it will be used much - it's there as an extra - a nicety. People post on forums to get feedback, the less members a board gets, the less feedback is given. I'm certain that most premium members will continue to use the public boards as usual.
    The link gives me a 404 error. I'm sure there must be a better link somewhere, but I can't find it.

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    The link gives me a 404 error. I'm sure there must be a better link somewhere, but I can't find it.
    Try this: http://www.basenotes.net/payments.php
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by steveobk View Post
    I don't know how any of you people can say that you like this or support it being done. $60?!?! On the spot just to be able to post something on the market place?!?! That's so ridiculous it isn't even funny! No other forum web site does this. I don't care how much its costing to keep this site going or who you think you may be protecting from scammers but that is BS plain and simple. Why do you not offer a month to month option? I don't plan on being a regular on this site. I don't need 6 months worth of "premium benefits" or however you would like to phrase it. My daughter was just born. I'm just trying to sell my stock of unwanted fragrances to get some extra $ and maybe swap for one or two that I've been looking for. I need a month for that. 2 at the very very most. So you're saying that in order to post 1 marketplace thread and use this site for maybe 2 months tops I have to pay $60?! What kind of sense does that make? The fact that you don't have a month to month option just tells me that you are trying to get more money out of us that we shouldn't even be giving you in the first place. Please please please tell me of just maybe 2 other forum sites that have these strict of rules! Cause I use ebay, dgcoursereview forum, fragrantica and style forum...and guess what?! I didn't have to pay no outlandish $60 to use their sites.

Basenotes is not an auction site, sales site or swap site. It's "an online fragrance resource, which features a directory of fragrances and a community of fragrance lovers from across the globe." As a perk for well-established regular member and supporting members, swap and sales are allowed in The Marketplace. Most of the persons who subscribe do so because they want to give back to a site that has given so much to them.

I've resigned myself to wait out the year. I'm not chatty enough to reach 500 posts before a year.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 11th March 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: rule 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by steveobk View Post
    Thank you for that generic answer that didnt really answer anything I asked. So again I ask, why not offer a month to month option for people that dont have the $ to just give you $60 on the spot to post something? And I ask again, why are you so different from other forum web sites? Ive never ever ever been to a forum that charges this much just to be able to post.
    You are welcome to post. Nobody needs to pay to post on Basenotes. If you want any of the perks given to subscribing and/or well-established members, please establish yourself or upgrade your account.

It must be frustrating to have a new baby and too much perfume. I hope you find a place to resolve your problem, but it isn't here.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

steveobk,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I have a daughter, my only child, who is a great joy to me.

This is the only site I support online. I posted for 2 years on BN before I realized that I valued and enjoyed the community enough to help keep the site going. My primary interest never was the BN Marketplace and still isn't.

I can see where you would find the $60 BN Plus fee to be unacceptably high, if your primary interest (or even your sole interest) is buying and selling. But really, eBay is a much better venue for that. There are a lot more perfumes listed to choose from and the perfumes you wish to sell will have much higher visibility-- and will probably command a better price as well.

You are focusing on the $60 fee but it is just one of the 3 criteria defining who can post threads in the BN Marketplace to buy, sell or swap. The criteria are there to reduce risk to other members. Marketplace thread posters have to have demonstrated some commitment to the community, by investing either their time (having been members for at least a year), effort (having made 500 posts) or money (having paid the $60 supporting fee.)

I think it is hoped that this would reduce scamming in the marketplace-- and in fact, it does seem to work most of the time. I've read a lot more posts about people being scammed on another forum that does not have these criteria for swapping/selling, so maybe the system is doing what it should to protect members. Or so it seems to me.

As to a lower, monthly supporting fee, this would potentially admit more scammers to the marketplace, which would defeat the purpose of the criteria IMO.

Hi, I'd like to become a supporting member, but when i click on the link in this thread it get a page not found message.

Can anyone help?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkmanzdecantz1 View Post
    Hi, I'd like to become a supporting member, but when i click on the link in this thread it get a page not found message.

Can anyone help?
    I suggest you email Grant (the owner of BN) at: support@basenotes.net