Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Become a Basenotes Supporting Member

Hi Grant,
    Thanks for all your hard work. I have been a supporting member and wish to continue being one. However, I am lazy and not particularly good at record keeping or anything that involves memory and dates. Do we, by chance, receive a note telling us when our year is up or is it on the honor system? Just wondering.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

JDBIII,
    I found that my yearly membership renews automatically via PayPal.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 22nd September 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I did a bit of checking.

Here is how to locate your Basenotes subscription in PayPal.

Under My Account, click on Profile.
    The page that opens up has a box on the left; the second item is My money (it seems to open automatically to My Money.)
    The last item on my list is My preapproved payments. To see your subscriptions, click on update and you will see the Basenotes subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I think I've changed all the references to Premium Members now.

Due to popular demand the name has been changed. This has involved some back-end code-tweaking, so some features may not work (haven't tested them yet).

In answer to some responses:

* Yes 'Premium' was a bit elitist. Supporting is better, and more accurate.
    * You can join by going here http://www.basenotes.net/subscribe/
    * If you do not wish to use Paypal email me and I'll send details of where a cheque / money order can be made. (yearly memberships only though)
    *Supporter/Premium board. I take on board some of the points, but in reality I don't think it will be used much - it's there as an extra - a nicety. People post on forums to get feedback, the less members a board gets, the less feedback is given. I'm certain that most premium members will continue to use the public boards as usual.
    The link gives me a 404 error. I'm sure there must be a better link somewhere, but I can't find it.

heart of ice

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    The link gives me a 404 error. I'm sure there must be a better link somewhere, but I can't find it.
    Try this: http://www.basenotes.net/payments.php
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by steveobk View Post
    I don't know how any of you people can say that you like this or support it being done. $60?!?! On the spot just to be able to post something on the market place?!?! That's so ridiculous it isn't even funny! No other forum web site does this. I don't care how much its costing to keep this site going or who you think you may be protecting from scammers but that is BS plain and simple. Why do you not offer a month to month option? I don't plan on being a regular on this site. I don't need 6 months worth of "premium benefits" or however you would like to phrase it. My daughter was just born. I'm just trying to sell my stock of unwanted fragrances to get some extra $ and maybe swap for one or two that I've been looking for. I need a month for that. 2 at the very very most. So you're saying that in order to post 1 marketplace thread and use this site for maybe 2 months tops I have to pay $60?! What kind of sense does that make? The fact that you don't have a month to month option just tells me that you are trying to get more money out of us that we shouldn't even be giving you in the first place. Please please please tell me of just maybe 2 other forum sites that have these strict of rules! Cause I use ebay, dgcoursereview forum, fragrantica and style forum...and guess what?! I didn't have to pay no outlandish $60 to use their sites.

Basenotes is not an auction site, sales site or swap site. It's "an online fragrance resource, which features a directory of fragrances and a community of fragrance lovers from across the globe." As a perk for well-established regular member and supporting members, swap and sales are allowed in The Marketplace. Most of the persons who subscribe do so because they want to give back to a site that has given so much to them.

I've resigned myself to wait out the year. I'm not chatty enough to reach 500 posts before a year.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 11th March 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: rule 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by steveobk View Post
    Thank you for that generic answer that didnt really answer anything I asked. So again I ask, why not offer a month to month option for people that dont have the $ to just give you $60 on the spot to post something? And I ask again, why are you so different from other forum web sites? Ive never ever ever been to a forum that charges this much just to be able to post.
    You are welcome to post. Nobody needs to pay to post on Basenotes. If you want any of the perks given to subscribing and/or well-established members, please establish yourself or upgrade your account.

It must be frustrating to have a new baby and too much perfume. I hope you find a place to resolve your problem, but it isn't here.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

steveobk,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I have a daughter, my only child, who is a great joy to me.

This is the only site I support online. I posted for 2 years on BN before I realized that I valued and enjoyed the community enough to help keep the site going. My primary interest never was the BN Marketplace and still isn't.

I can see where you would find the $60 BN Plus fee to be unacceptably high, if your primary interest (or even your sole interest) is buying and selling. But really, eBay is a much better venue for that. There are a lot more perfumes listed to choose from and the perfumes you wish to sell will have much higher visibility-- and will probably command a better price as well.

You are focusing on the $60 fee but it is just one of the 3 criteria defining who can post threads in the BN Marketplace to buy, sell or swap. The criteria are there to reduce risk to other members. Marketplace thread posters have to have demonstrated some commitment to the community, by investing either their time (having been members for at least a year), effort (having made 500 posts) or money (having paid the $60 supporting fee.)

I think it is hoped that this would reduce scamming in the marketplace-- and in fact, it does seem to work most of the time. I've read a lot more posts about people being scammed on another forum that does not have these criteria for swapping/selling, so maybe the system is doing what it should to protect members. Or so it seems to me.

As to a lower, monthly supporting fee, this would potentially admit more scammers to the marketplace, which would defeat the purpose of the criteria IMO.

Hi, I'd like to become a supporting member, but when i click on the link in this thread it get a page not found message.

Can anyone help?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries