Code of Conduct

Default Non-white floral??

What exactly would be excluded when someone asks for a non-white floral?

White floral. What is that?? Freesia? Jasmine? :-/ Tuberose? Lily-of-the-Valley? Magnolia? Or is it more of a subjective feel of a fragrance?

Why don't I know this already? :-?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: Non-white floral??

Good question, Shycat!

I really don`t have the faintest idea... :-/ :-/

Hope someone can enlighten us!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I think the white floral group is the tuberose/gardenia/jasmine group. Every blog I've been on lists those flowers as the white floral. So Fracas, Blonde and MPG's Jardin Blanc are considered white florals scents. Would La Chasse Aux Papillons be on that list too? :-/

Overcome By Fumes

I don't know either, but I'm assuming along the lines of the last post. I might add lily or night-blooming jasmine as well. Although several of these smell very little alike, there is a heavy to light sweet clear character across this line; as opposing to very distinct fruitiness or sweetness or spiciness of things like lavender, rose, mimosa, carnation, iris, or buddleia.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I think the white floral group is the tuberose/gardenia/jasmine group. Every blog I've been on lists those flowers as the white floral.
    That is how I understand "white floral", but I also connect it with that "indolic" element, mainly from jasmine (I am not so well informed here....donīt know if tuberose and gardenia also release indole?) In this sense, "A la nuit" stands out more as a white floral to me than "La Chasse". I have no idea if that makes any sense. But I agree with docluv; these white flowers have a certain scent caracter in common.

How about a rose note? Or violet?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

So this is not a literal reference? It doesn't refer to the color of the flower in question?

I don't know for sure!!! I think it kinda does, but a white rose and a white violet exist, but they aren't a "white floral." I think.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

If a scent is listed as "white floral" I just assume it will have that bitch-slap top note that most people can't get past ( Fracas /Blonde) . I HATED tuberose until this April, then that slap turned into a seductive caress....now I'm obsessed. I think white rose and white violet are definately NOT part of that group. I've never been bitch-slapped by a violet or rose perfume. At Ozmo rose/violet scents are catergized apart from the tuberose/orange blossom scents. It has to do with headiness not color per se.

To me, the term "white floral" refers to a clean floral scent as opposed to raw, damp, earthy notes such as patchouli, rose, and vetiver accords. Although lavender is not white in color, I would consider it as being a white floral note due to its smoothness and cleanness. It's hard to put in words but I think of white florals as joyous scents that you associate with weddings while dark florals are more mysterious and less ethereal.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Lavender is lavender

I don't think the herbal tangy zest of lavender is ever generally considered in the "white floral" category.