Code of Conduct

Default I like it, but I'm not buying it anyway!

I'm fascinated by anything that totally polarizes people. Kouros may be the most divisive frag on BN! Naturally, I had to try it.

We went to a Perfumania, which was fun. One odd problem with that store - the thing I most wanted to try was there, but they wouldn't let me sniff it because there was no tester. That killed the sale for me, of course. Corporate inflexibility at its finest. I spanked them by sniffing tons of things and buying nothing.

So I was pleased to find Kouros, as well as other things on my short-list, or should I say, snort-list. I took a whiff, and it was surprisingly good to me. The biggest surprise was that I seemed to recognize it. But the best part was when my wife sniffed it. In less than one second, she looked like she was ready to ralph! I asked her what thing in particular was awful. She was inarticulate at first due to the shock, but finally mentioned the poopish element of it, which I could see, although the blending with other things seemed to work for me.

Not wanting to sleep on the couch, I quickly moved on to other realms. Fortunately, we agree on 95% of the stuff I enjoy. And if I'd worn Kouros all day, who knows, I may have discovered some off-putting note.

Any similar stories of things you really liked but wouldn't buy for some reason?

Default Re: I like it, but I'm not buying it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    Any similar stories of things you really liked but wouldn't buy for some reason? *
    Are you kidding me? *My life is filled with the wreckage and debris of fragrances that I really like but will not, or cannot, buy!

The first group of fragrances that I like, but won’t buy, are fragrances that cause me some kind of physical distress. *I suppose you could call this "perfume allergies", but actually I think it is just that my body simply does not like to have foreign substances poured on it, even if those foreign substances are very expensive and very good smelling perfumes! *Some fragrances that I like that fall in this category are: *Creed Silver Mountain Water, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Guerlain Vetiver, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Patou Pour Homme, Guerlain Habit Rouge, and Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau. *Oh man, there are some fantastic fragrances in this group, and this subject can sometimes cause me great anguish! *

Another group of fragrances that I like, but won’t buy, is represented by Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque. I like how these fragrances smell, but I will not buy them because I do not want my body to smell like them (this is an important distinction). *

Another group of fragrances that I like, but won’t buy, are represented by Guerlain Eau du Coq, Christian Dior Eau Sauvage, and all of the Gendarmes. I like how these fragrances smell, but I will not buy them because their longevity is so extremely short on my skin.

Another group of fragrances that I like, but won’t buy, is represented by Clive Christian No. 1. *I really like CC No.1, but I will not buy it because it is just too darned expensive.

Another group of fragrances that I like, but won’t buy, is represented by Bond No. 9 New Haarlem. *I really like New Haarlem when I smell it on a testing strip, but I will not buy it because New Haarlem just becomes an ugly mess when I apply it to my skin.

I think that is enough for now. *As I said, my life is filled with the wreckage and debris of fragrances that I really like but will not, or cannot, buy!
    Last edited by Rockford; 23rd July 2006 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    As I said, my life is filled with the wreckage and debris of fragrances that I really like but will not, or cannot, buy!
    Wow, that's quite a tale. I was being pretty flippant, but you clearly have some serious issues with that. What a paradox, to have a hobby that fights you like that. I would be intrigued to know which ones don't cause distress.

You've probably tried all this, but do other concentrations work better on you, like shower gel and all that? Or "walking though the sprayed cloud" rather than direct spray? Finally, spritzing clothes? Of course, all the above assume that it's a "skin thing". If the smell gets you anyway, we're back to square one.

If you're interested, PM me for 1 or 2 "last resort" type ideas that go off-topic somewhat.

I was being pretty flippant, but you clearly have some serious issues with that. *What a paradox, to have a hobby that fights you like that.
    No problem, Cognoscento. *My post was actually meant to be somewhat humorous. *Yes, my body does react negatively to certain chemicals in certain fragrances, but I have learned how to handle this so that it actually isnít much of a problem anymore. *I find out pretty quickly which fragrances I need to avoid, and I concentrate on the fragrances that I can handle. * ** * *

I would be intrigued to know which ones don't cause distress.
    Oh, I thought you'd never ask. *Here are some that I can handle and that I really like to wear:
    - Chanel Egoiste *
    - Chanel Antaeus *
    - Chanel Bois des Iles *
    - Chanel Cuir de Russie *
    - Caron L'Impact de Pour un Homme *
    - Caron Tabac Blond
    - Czech & Speake Neroli *
    - Czech & Speake No. 88 *
    - Clive Christian 1872 for Men *
    - Boucheron Jaipur Homme EDP
    - Diptyque Philosykos *
    - Diptyque Virgilio *
    - Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate *
    - Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta *
    - Dior Homme *
    - Bulgari Black
    - L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses
    - Mazzolari Vetiver
    - Geo F Trumper GFT
    - Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    - Penhaligonís English Fern
    - and many others

You've probably tried all this, but do other concentrations work better on you, like shower gel and all that? *Or "walking though the sprayed cloud" rather than direct spray? *Finally, spritzing clothes?
    Oh yeah, Iíve tried all these. *In fact, I am an EXPERT at applying fragrance on cotton clothes. *But I have found that the best technique for me is to simply find out by experimentation which fragrances do not bother my body, to apply all fragrances in moderation, and to take a break from all fragrance every once in a while. *I have learned how to handle this situation so that it really isnít much of a problem anymore. *Yes, I still grieve over the fragrances that I cannot wear, and yes, I suppose my post was a public expression of my grieving. *But hey, I do try to have a sense of humor about it. *

Also, reality check here: *The fact is I do not have enough skin time for all the fragrances that I want to test and wear! **

Ah, sounds like you've handled it well.

With the caveat that everyone's chemistry is not identical, maybe your list could be stored - it may be a prototype of a non-allergenic, or minimally allergenic, group of frags (albeit a bit pricy!).

After all that testing, sounds like you've ended up with a nice 'drobe! I have yet to try many of the ones you've already been through. What I need are your castoffs

Going back to the original premise, another category I sort of like but instantly gets the wife-rejection is anything "watermelon-y".

Cheers, D

Sure, I like so many. Getting the loot to buy them is what causes the largest problem for me.

Money is what we all strive to have in life but I don't really need millions. It is the people who don't have it that build the best character IMO. They have different views on life. So, I do not greedfully hoard money. I buy what is necessary. I used to buy all things I liked... bad move.

I like to buy what makes me happy and have a little more fun in life. Perfect 10s are the way to go because they are, obviously, without flaw. Just liking something is not a basis to buy it.

There are so many like Bulgari Black and Black Code that I can't muster up the strength to purchasing. If I had them all there would be no need to look for more and this quest to find new smells would have long since ended...

I'm fascinated by anything that totally polarizes people. Kouros may be the most divisive frag on BN! Naturally, I had to try it.

We went to a Perfumania, which was fun. One odd problem with that store - the thing I most wanted to try was there, but they wouldn't let me sniff it because there was no tester. That killed the sale for me, of course. Corporate inflexibility at its finest. I spanked them by sniffing tons of things and buying nothing.

So I was pleased to find Kouros, as well as other things on my short-list, or should I say, snort-list. I took a whiff, and it was surprisingly good to me. The biggest surprise was that I seemed to recognize it. But the best part was when my wife sniffed it. In less than one second, she looked like she was ready to ralph! I asked her what thing in particular was awful. She was inarticulate at first due to the shock, but finally mentioned the poopish element of it, which I could see, although the blending with other things seemed to work for me.

Not wanting to sleep on the couch, I quickly moved on to other realms. Fortunately, we agree on 95% of the stuff I enjoy. And if I'd worn Kouros all day, who knows, I may have discovered some off-putting note.
    Ah, you've forgotten the "no contact" rule with Kouros, grasshopper! Never let anyone near you for at least 1/2 an hour on the initial spray!

Simple rules from the research I've done with Kouros and spray relativity:

1 spray = Blatant (see also 5 sprays) Not sure what the phenomena is why a single spray will do this.
    2 sprays = BEAUTIFUL!
    3 sprays = BOLD
    4 sprays = You're playing with power.
    5 sprays = Death threats have appeared at your doorstep.
    6 sprays = Your wife or significant other reports to the authorities that you disappeared in the middle of the night and haven't returned.
    6 sprays+ = You've been found dead in an alley, and police reports figure that you've been assaulted by a homeless vagrant judging by the smell on you!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Sure, I like so many. Getting the loot to buy them is what causes the largest problem for me.

Money is what we all strive to have in life but I don't really need millions. It is the people who don't have it that build the best character IMO. They have different views on life. So, I do not greedfully hoard money. I buy what is necessary. I used to buy all things I liked... bad move.

I like to buy what makes me happy and have a little more fun in life. Perfect 10s are the way to go because they are, obviously, without flaw. Just liking something is not a basis to buy it.

There are so many like Bulgari Black and Black Code that I can't muster up the strength to purchasing. If I had them all there would be no need to look for more and this quest to find new smells would have long since ended...
    That's a wonderful disposition. I need to be this content.