Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    ohhmygod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions...

    I saw people on BN mention Creed and have some pics on it. I search the net and found some on an Australia website, but its like double-price of normal fragrance. Does it have nething special ???
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

    "No Pain, No Gain"

  2. #2
    EnvYuS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    He OMG! HAHA, I can say OMG and that is your name. Good way to shorten it IMO.

    Ok, so Creed... Just another niche house. Oliver Creed is the name of the man who is running it now. It has been becoming so popular though that some people don't consider it niche. Although popularity doesn't determine niche VS designer it would seem that it is more designer since it is sold in Neiman Marcus and very easy to find elsewhere.

    All bottles are similarly shaped, minus the new Love in White, but they are just a house. There is nothing really special about it unless you love Creed fragrances. They are extremely expensive but worth it to many who wear them.

    Some good ones that you might like to try, if you get the chance, are: Bois du Portugal, MI, Acier Aluminum, Neroli Sauvage, Green Irish Tweed, Erolfa, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, and so on.

    Creed has a very distinct note that links all of the fragrances to this house. Many have tried to figure it out but I'm not sure we know what it is. I don't know it for sure. Creeds are very distiguishable once you smell them. It is easier to single out a Creed than guess what fragrance it is.

    So, to sum it up Creed is a very expensive niche fragrance house. There are many great ones that come from this house and probably a good place to delve into if you are thinking about getting more into the fragrance world.

    EnvYuS

  3. #3
    Rockford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    The House of Creed was founded in 1760 when James Henry Creed opened his first shop in London. * Today, Olivier Creed, a direct descendent of James Henry Creed, is now the head of the House of Creed.

  4. #4
    Rockford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    The House of Creed was founded in 1760 when James Henry Creed opened his first shop in London. * Today, Olivier Creed, a direct descendent of James Henry Creed, is now the head of the House of Creed.
    http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/

    You might find some interesting information about Creed at this website, although I suggest that you do not accept at face value all of the company's advertising/public relations assertions, such as using natural essences instead of synthetics, etc.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    I am also from Australia and wondering about the house of Creed. I don't think 'ohhmygod' made mention of the fact that no Creed fragrances are available in Australia (to my knowledge). Essentially, this means that we are unable to try them and only read reviews about them :'( (unless we go overseas).

    I find it very intriguing that these fragrances are twice as expensive (about AU$200-250 over the internet) as many other fantastic fragrances that are put out by houses such as Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, etc (which range between AU$125-150). In my opinion, some of the fragrances put out by these two houses have been nothing short of exceptional; in fact I often wonder if it at all possible to improve on modern-day classics such as Envy for Men or the masterpiece that is Gucci pour Homme.

    The reviews of Creed fragrances seem quite positive and often people are weighing up whether or not the perfume is worth the extra price, suggesting that it is a quality house. I have also noticed that many Creeds are often compared to a more mainstream fragrance. For example: Green Irish Tweed draws many comparisons to Davidoff's Cool Water and Curve. Himalaya is often compared to Paco Rabanne's XS, and also Chanel's Platinum Egoiste. Many reviewers claim that it is like a "rich-man's XS", which tells me very little because Platinum smells like a rich man's XS, and I also don't consider Paco Rabanne to be an exceptional house (no disrespect intended ).

    I guess what myself and 'ohhmygod' would really like to know, given that we may not smell a Creed for many years, is "Just HOW good is Creed?". Is it far-and-away the best fragrance house in the world, or is it just an over-priced and over-rated niche house that takes itself too seriously and enjoys indulging in the glory of having Prince Charles, David Beckham, Clint Eastwood, and many other big-name celebrities using their product?
    'EnvYuS' mentioned that there is a distinct note in all Creeds, does this note add elegance, sophistication, class, or is it just there?
    Putting aside the issue of cost, is there a distinct difference in fragrance quality between great houses such as Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, etc. and Creed?
    Also, are there any other 'niche' houses that may be placed in the same league as Creed?

  6. #6

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    welcome to BN.

    i believe that everything there is to say about creed has already been said about 100 times. if you do a search of the boards you'll have plenty to read. and the many reviews will give you some idea of what creeds smell like.

    regarding availability in australia, you could always order samples online, or get decants from BNers.

    here are a couple recent threads on creed.

    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1149195394
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1149282074

    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

  7. #7
    Joel_Cairo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    OMG & Ollie- welcome to Basenotes guys. Im not going to get into a detailed discussion about my opinions on Creed (they don't appeal to me. done.) because as Liquid says there is SO much info out there.

    I just wanted to address one thing that I bleive Ollie brought up: the lack of retail availablity and, therefore, having to order blind or never smell at all. Not so my friend. If you go to the community page and scroll down to the "items for sale" forum, you'll see lots of Basenoters who sell decants (5 ml, 10 ml, 15 ml, etc) or samples (1 or 2 ml usually) of Creed fragrances, probably even some Aussies, and who would gladly send you some for a very resonable price. For maybe $20 US I'd imagine you could get samples of half a dozen Creeds sent right to your door. Check it out.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Ollie & OMG welcome to Basenotes!

    I'm new here too. And Ollie, I'm in Australia, and I totally understand your situation vis-a-vis Creed. Indeed, an outrageous number of fragrances mentioned on these boards - well over 50% I'd say, including Creeds - I have never seen in Australia, and most of the places I can buy frags from over the counter (Myer, DJ's, Perfume Connection) have never even heard of them!

    I myself have never smelt a Creed, but many of the generous Basenotes members will no doubt be happy to share the love with samples and decants and very good prices. I'm planning on purchasing various decants myself.

    Oh and by the way, Ollie, try "strawberrynet.com" for at least some Creed purchases (and many others not readily available on the street in Australia), and "shoppersdirect.com.au". Hope that helps!

    QE

  9. #9

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I appreciate that! *

    I have had a read of many of the Creed topics on the boards, and these don't really address what I want to know.
    Most of the threads are to do with: 'Is Creed still the best quality house?', 'Is Creed worth the money?', 'Are natural ingredients better than synthetic?', 'Is Olivier Creed really the best nose in the business?', 'Facts about Creed', etc.
    What I am asking is NOT 'do you like Creed?' - If you hate the smell of Himalaya because you never liked the smell of XS, fine, but that's not what I'm after. I want to know how good their fragrances are in terms of quality.

    For example: I enjoy the scent of Kenneth Cole Black, I find it to be quite fresh and pleasant. However, this fragrance is one-dimensional. It seems to have little more than a watermelon topnote, and that's it. So in my opinion, this is not a quality scent, and I would probably not wear it.
    Conversely, Gucci pour Homme is in my opinion (and in many others) an exceptionally well-crafted fragrance. It is elegant and sophisticated. Despite this, I would not buy it because I feel that I am too young to wear this type of fragrance.
    Opium pour Homme is an example of a fragrance which I don't like. It is sharp and strong, and would no doubt induce a headache if I wore it all day. Regardless of my personal feelings about it, I believe that it is a high quality fragrance. It smells rich and classy. I would certainly rate this higher than KC Black, even though I prefer the scent of KC Black.

    All of the threads have had people vehemently debating whether or not they like Creed as a house, or whether they like individual fragrances. I am getting the vibe that Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal are their two 'best' fragrances, but people either love or hate Creed (for their own reasons) and are too pre-occupied in presenting their 'pro' and 'con' arguments. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a thread which answers my question.

    I appreciate that I am asking a VERY difficult question, because it is like comparing a KC Black to a Gucci PH, which smells nothing like it; and probably doesn't even share a single note. However, I don't think that anyone at all would object if I said that the Gucci is a far more sophisticated and elegant fragrance.

    I really want to know about the overall quality of their fragrances. Put aside your personal feelings about the house, Olivier Creed, Hollywood celebrities, whether or not you like the scent, the poor longeivity of some, etc. and fill me in on whether the fragrances from Creed smell richer, more elegant, and sophisticated than a successful fragrance put out by a Designer house.

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    foetidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Great North Woods
    Posts
    3,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Hi OMG and Ollie, Welcome.

    I'm not sure I'm the one to be discussing Creed--I'm rather neutral. *I own four Creeds--Green Irish Tweed which I bought blind and don't like, and Himalaya, Millesime Imperial, *and Bois du Portugal--which I think are great. *In addition I have tested 11 others and am feeling no drastic desire to buy any of them except maybe Royal English Leather, which I probably won't purchase because I have very bad luck wearing leather scents.

    It all depends on what YOUR values are in deciding whether or not Creed are worth twice the money so I try to be a little objective here. They tend to be very complex, well-made scents and they have a reputation for using a heavy proportion of natural ingredients rather than synthetics. *They tend to be very classic in construction rather than trendy or edgy. *In MY judgement they are pretty good scents and I was willing to put down that money *for three of them that I had tested (they are cheaper in the US than Australia, apparently). *Are they the best? No, unless you happen to be one who happens to fall for some of them. *Then you have to consider longevity. *If I pay $100--$150 dollars American for a bottle of fragrance, I expect it to last more than a couple of hours. *Many Creeds do not. *And to further complicate the problem, we all have different skin types so many people have different results in longevity. *I'm lucky in that Himalaya and Bois du Portugal last five or six hours on me. *Millesime Imperial lasts about *3 or 4 hours, which is considered good for that particular scent, and I don't mind because the scent, to me, is so extraordinary.

    So to answer--Are they good quality? *It's very subjective. I would say "er...yes... probably." *But there are better quality fragrances available that the Creeds should be compared to. *However, there are some Creeds that are spectacular--and different people respond differently to that. *

    Most experienced people would say they are better than KC Black and Gucci PH (one of my favorites). *Hardly any Creeds are similar to Opium--even the one that is, Orange Spice, is much tamer and less headache inducing than Opium.

    Well, I hope I have provided some information that you could use.


  11. #11

    hirch_duckfinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London uk
    Posts
    4,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Personally I like most creeds, especially the older ones I think are much better than most designer frags. The older ones may be better because only the good ones survive the tests of time.

    I find the scents to be more natural smelling (I am not commenting on the ingredients here just the smell) and generally clear and uncluttered. They get to the point. E.g. today i am wearing bois de cedrat. This has a very natural and clean sicilian lemon note and a very clear and natual cedarwood note and little else. It doesn't last long or chuck out loads of silage so you have to use more and refresh often. So creeds are often expensive to buy and to use, but in my opinion worth it if you can afford it.

    much the same could probably be said for other niche houses, though creed have a catalogue of great scents going back 250 years.

    hope this helps.
    duck.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 1st July 2006 at 09:08 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  12. #12

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Oliver Creed is the name of the man who created the Creed house
    EnvYuS
    Not quite...
    Let your nose be your pilot

  13. #13

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie
    Most of the threads are to do with: 'Is Creed still the best quality house?', 'Is Creed worth the money?', 'Are natural ingredients better than synthetic?', 'Is Olivier Creed really the best nose in the business?', 'Facts about Creed', etc.
    What I am asking is NOT 'do you like Creed?' - If you hate the smell of Himalaya because you never liked the smell of XS, fine, but that's not what I'm after. I want to know how good their fragrances are in terms of quality.
    i don't really see a difference between what you're asking and what has been discussed. there are 2 measures of quality we could talk about. the objective and the subjective.

    Q) objective. does creed use the best quality ingredients? do they use better quality ingredients than other houses?

    A) there is no reason to believe so.

    Q) subjective. do creed frags smell better than frags from other houses? are their compositions good?

    A) it's subjective. complexity does not equal quality, nor does simplicity equal the opposite. is a jackson pollack painting "quality"? is it full of thought, inspiration, beauty and craftsmanship? is it sophisticated? or is it just a bunch of paint thrown at a canvas by a hack? it's all in the eye of the beholder. or the nose, as the case may be.

    http://www.nga.gov/feature/pollock/painting1.shtm

    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

  14. #14

    hirch_duckfinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London uk
    Posts
    4,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    [quote author=Ollie link=1148714407/0#8 date=1149942285]
    Most of the threads are to do with: 'Is Creed still the best quality house?', 'Is Creed worth the money?', 'Are natural ingredients better than synthetic?', 'Is Olivier Creed really the best nose in the business?', 'Facts about Creed', etc.
    What I am asking is NOT 'do you like Creed?' - If you hate the smell of Himalaya because you never liked the smell of XS, fine, but that's not what I'm after. I want to know how good their fragrances are in terms of quality.
    i don't really see a difference between what you're asking and what has been discussed. there are 2 measures of quality we could talk about. the objective and the subjective.

    Q) objective. does creed use the best quality ingredients? do they use better quality ingredients than other houses?

    A) there is no reason to believe so.

    Q) subjective. do creed frags smell better than frags from other houses? are their compositions good?

    A) it's subjective. complexity does not equal quality, nor does simplicity equal the opposite. is a jackson pollack painting "quality"? is it full of thought, inspiration, beauty and craftsmanship? is it sophisticated? or is it just a bunch of paint thrown at a canvas by a hack? it's all in the eye of the beholder. or the nose, as the case may be.

    http://www.nga.gov/feature/pollock/painting1.shtm

    [/quote]


    I think "art" (of all varieties) is subjective and thus a fairly useless concept. Craft however, is much less subjective and is to do with studied and informed hard work. I think most "art" starts as craft and it is a matter of luck if it captures the zeitgeist and gets classified as art.

    I respect the craft in creed. I am not a "nose" and so my judgement is resticted and underinformed. I have a lifetime's study in another artform though and I beleive some of the higher principles can be cross-applied, like internal coherence, clarity of concept and quality of delivery.

    Just my 2 pence worth
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  15. #15

    hirch_duckfinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London uk
    Posts
    4,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    But having said all that, the best thing for you to do is get some samples and smell them yourself.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  16. #16
    Adrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Creed is a marketing group/cult that is also known to make some decent perfume
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

  17. #17

    Default Re: What is Creed ??? Some more newbie questions..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie
    I have had a read of many of the Creed topics on the boards, and these don't really address what I want to know.
    Most of the threads are to do with: 'Is Creed still the best quality house?', 'Is Creed worth the money?', 'Are natural ingredients better than synthetic?', 'Is Olivier Creed really the best nose in the business?', 'Facts about Creed', etc.
    What I am asking is NOT 'do you like Creed?' - If you hate the smell of Himalaya because you never liked the smell of XS, fine, but that's not what I'm after. I want to know how good their fragrances are in terms of quality.
    Those are precisely the reason why i avoid any thread on Creed. They turn out being quite superficial and the discussions often degenerate into a caveman bashing style contest. I can see how you can get lost in the maze. I'll try my best to answer your question as you seem interested to get to the root of things.
    When you mention a very subjective concept as "quality", you're not going to get very far. Luckily, having read your perceptions on scents, i get what you mean by the term "quality". Correct me if i'm wrong, you consider quality to consist of evolution and sillage. Many connoisseurs consider these three things: evolution, sillage and lasting ability when they want to talk about "quality".
    I really want to know about the overall quality of their fragrances. Put aside your personal feelings about the house, Olivier Creed, Hollywood celebrities, whether or not you like the scent, the poor longeivity of some, etc. and fill me in on whether the fragrances from Creed smell richer, more elegant, and sophisticated than a successful fragrance put out by a Designer house.
    Creed fragrances behave in different ways compared to the Designers mainly because of the ingredients used and there lies the problem of comparison. We tread dangerously on the niche vs designer line that i hate so much. Let's blow up/deconstuct those binaries for a moment and pretend no such distinctions exist. It's easier to tackle the problem then:

    Firstly, Creed like many other houses, have a house note that they use which typifies the products of the house. Like Guerlain lays claim to guerlinade for example and Polo Ralph's constant obsession with oakmoss. Most (dare i say all?) Creeds will evolve to this house basenote so in terms of evolution, they're sound albeit in the gentler, non-obstrusive way of natural ingredients. They're softer in that sense. Of course there are house exceptions like BdP for instance, but that is to be expected when oils composed of strong woods. Still, the evolution is more natural even in BdP when compared to the aldehyde laden concoctions of Chanel, where every change is a crescendo announced with blatant disregard for decorum or propriety. So you see, it then becomes a matter of style rather than "quality" per se.

    The sillage of Creeds tend to expand quickly, then go muted to settle on the skin which is why many complain of longevity issues. To me, they are adequate. 2-4 hours of sillage depending on application is to be expected with naturals and is a norm for most. You still get another 2-3 hours of presence close to the skin. Reapply if you must, this is not a quality issue IMO.

    Sophistication is as much due to the wearer himself. Can you carry a Creed? Well, if you have perceptions that a scent can be too old for you (Gucci PH), then some scents in the Creed line may seem that way though these are usually a matter of application rather than the scent's design. BdP may seem too old for you when applied in the normal way but try it one spritz on the chest with walkthrough, you'd be surprised what you can pull off (do it for the Gucci).

    Do Creeds smell richer, more elegant than the best designer offerings? Wow, already in that sentence i've used so many vague and abstract words. Personally, my Laguna is richer than any Creed, my Hanae Mori EDP is more elegant than most and my Jaipur has more perceived evolution! There, i've gotten the Creed fans all riled up! LOL! But that's not why i use my Creeds. You can only get so much of "richness". After awhile, they overwhelm your senses. There are times when subtle sophistication is the way to go and for that, Creed is eons ahead of most offerings by any house and the reason i love my MI, SMW, AA, GIT so much.

Similar Threads

  1. Creed Blending
    By evogel in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 28th May 2012, 07:28 AM
  2. Creed Vetiver (1948) VS Creed Original vetiver
    By Dry_Martini in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 15th April 2012, 01:21 AM
  3. For my 1,000th post - a little perspective on Creed
    By TwoRoads in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 19th March 2008, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •